British Tierra del Fuego

What if Britain nabs the Tierra del Fuego Archipelago (Elizabethides ittl?) during the break up of the Spanish Empire similar to what they did with the Falklands and what they tried with the River Plate (perhaps in place of the latter effort)?

Would the Falkland and South Sandwich Islands be administratively lumped in with the colony on Tierra del Fuego?

Does controlling the Magellan and Beagle channels strengthen Britain's hand in the Pacific?

If the British are going to move into the region in the 1840s (they colonised the Falklands in 1840) then wouldn't they rather take all of Patagonia rather than settling for just Tierra del Fuego, Patagonia was only fully colonised by 1883 with the conquest only beginning in the 1870s with general Roca's the conquest of the desert and Chile's occupation of Araucania. Could the British spin the Welsh colonial scheme in Patagonia so that the colonised lands are claimed for the British Empire rather than the Argentine government? I know it was an effort to escape Britain and preserve the Welsh culture overseas but what about a joint colonial venture whereby Britain promote's colonists from Wales and the Scottish Highlands to settle the region (using displaced peoples from the latter stage of the Highland clearances) or would it be easier to just have it be another penal colony? I have seen people say that the British could not support another settle colony and this is why Patagonia did not become a settler colony, that the people where not there for migration but between 1851 - 1901 the populations of England, Wales and Scotland almost doubled going from 20.6 million to 34.9 million. Today Patagonia is a region with just under 2 million people so it should be possible for Britain and Ireland to provide enough people to create another Westminster style dominion and this is not even taking into consideration migrants from other European and South American nations.

The governments of the time did not see the value in the proposal or were simply too busy with colonial ventures in Australasia, Africa and Canada along with imperialist wars in Asia, there was gold in Tierra del Fuego and Patagonia could provide another region to export agricultural goods in a similar fashion to New Zealand so once gold reserves are depleted then investment is made into sheep and dairy farming and the exportation of wool, meat and dairy.

Last edited:

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
I wonder why New Zealand was never viewed as a destination for North mainland European immigrants in the 1880-1920 interval.

I wonder why New Zealand was never viewed as a destination for North mainland European immigrants in the 1880-1920 interval.
New Zealand did receive Scandinavian and German immigrants during that time period, they came as assisted migrants. The thing I wonder is why did New Zealand not receive Southern European immigration post world war two like Australia did, there were Dalmatian immigrants in the early 1900s and Dutch immigrants post world war two but on the whole New Zealand was not an attractive destination for migrants from continental Europe.

Last edited:
New Zealand did receive Scandinavian and German immigrants during that time period, they came as assisted migrants. The thing I wonder is why did New Zealand not receive Southern European immigration post world war two like Australia did, there were Dalmatian immigrants in the early 1900s and Dutch immigrants post world war two but on the whole New Zealand was not an attractive destination for migrants from continental Europe.
Croatians?

Nice find, found one from a few years ago about a British Patagonia