British Leyland insanity options 1968-86

Keeping in mind, of course, that not all of the models in the Austin stable would have to exactly follow Vauxhall's development and exact naming. One example that comes to bat for me would be the Kadett A/Mk1 Viva - which is actually contemporary with the OTL BMC ADO16 models. It could be possible here to retain the ADO16 exterior style and branding (if not necessarily the ADO16 interior style) while still based on the Kadett A (Mk1)/Kadett B platform and floorplan. In fact, it could also be possible to keep Austin's Axxx model numbering scheme (plus further distinctions based on historic English county naming, with exceptions like the Sheerline and Princess) at least until the 1980s, when the full on shift towards common model naming goes forth (at least for Austin; Wolseley could have a considerable amount of independence here, as would - of course - Austin-Healey).

Thought experiment here!

With an ATL of GM buying Austin Motors and not Nufield Group and with Alec Issigonis starting working for Humber then Nuffileld then finally for Austin only after the creation of BMC, how would you think the model line up would evolve if Alec's designs were only part of independent Morris not of Austin?

Wouldn't that force by quirk of fate the ADO15/16/17 etc and even the Farina designs to be solely Nufield Group designs and force Austin to develop GM's design studio (Vauxhall's in OTL) thus Opel's development?

If GM buys Austin, does GM keep the Buick aluminum block 215 ci V8, taking away the best engine Rover ever had?

More importantly, will Bertie Wooster still drive a Widgeon Seven in Thank You, Jeeves?

Thought experiment here!
Sure.
With an ATL of GM buying Austin Motors and not Nufield Group and with Alec Issigonis starting working for Humber then Nuffileld then finally for Austin only after the creation of BMC, how would you think the model line up would evolve if Alec's designs were only part of independent Morris not of Austin?

There's, of course, possibility for designers to freelance around if need be - for example, IOTL, the design of the Marina was in part due to a Ford designer who was quickly brought on by BL management to do a quick fix, hence the strong similarities with other contemporary Ford products like the Taunus/Cortina of that time. Otherwise, Austin could have its own design language from the 20s to at least the early 60s, and even for a while during the common model thing with Opel, IOTL Vauxhall found ways of being distinct, and I would Austin would be no different.
Wouldn't that force by quirk of fate the ADO15/16/17 etc and even the Farina designs to be solely Nufield Group designs and force Austin to develop GM's design studio (Vauxhall's in OTL) thus Opel's development?
The Farina models probably won't exist if Austin and Morris remain separate companies, for one.

If WW2 had destroyed even more of British industry - say the blitz continued for far longer, would the UK have benefited from more Marshall Plan money and therefore built a car industry from 'new' like Germany and Japan had too?

If so and the govt still consolidated the car industry would British Leyland still be a total failure do you think?

Sure.

There's, of course, possibility for designers to freelance around if need be - for example, IOTL, the design of the Marina was in part due to a Ford designer who was quickly brought on by BL management to do a quick fix, hence the strong similarities with other contemporary Ford products like the Taunus/Cortina of that time. Otherwise, Austin could have its own design language from the 20s to at least the early 60s, and even for a while during the common model thing with Opel, IOTL Vauxhall found ways of being distinct, and I would Austin would be no different.

The Farina models probably won't exist if Austin and Morris remain separate companies, for one.

I've now had to Edit post #51 because of changing my mind about Austin being bought by GM and not Nuffield Group.:)

I don't know why but I'm quietly enjoying going full on nerd regarding the debate of GM buying Austin and the ramifications for Nuffiled & Rootes Group

Last edited:
If WW2 had destroyed even more of British industry - say the blitz continued for far longer, would the UK have benefited from more Marshall Plan money and therefore built a car industry from 'new' like Germany and Japan had too?

If so and the govt still consolidated the car industry would British Leyland still be a total failure do you think?

Or to go the other end of the spectrum the Blitz not being so intense or as long thus more UK industry gets saved thus leading to more inbuilt inefficiency so collapsing the entire car industry quicker like ship building as the thread requested?

Last edited:
Although not part of BL at the time, how about this model due to continued funding problems not being released until 1990/91

The car was already behind schedule when released in 1986.

When released it only sells around 3,000 units a year and causes the collapse of Jaguar.