British California and/or Texas

Faeelin

Banned
. I think that California would be the first choice for any would-be emigrant from Britain, ahead of Canada or Australia, even before gold was discovered. Would the English and Irish coexist peacefully?

Australia... maybe, although people went to Australia instead of the USA in OTL. But Canada? Why? it would cost more to sail around the Americas than to go to Canada, no?

I think I'll have Father Macnamara's plot work, in that when Admiral Seymour lands in California he finds a republic ready to join Britain after it deals with the American revolutionaries within its borders. I think if Mexico goes to war over it, it would be little more than a couple battles and a blockade, but if incorrect I'd like input.

Simreeve:
Would Drake's claim have any impact on their (re-)conquest of California? I imagine it could be used to counter American claims that this violates their Monroe Doctrine, as the British have had a claim here long before the US existed.

Faeelin:
Yes, it would cost much more to get to California than Canada if one's coming from Europe whether one goes overland or entirely by sea. I had imagined that the weather and agricultural potential would draw people, as I think it is more attractive land than Canadian land. I might have too much faith in gold rushes, also.