Britain for the British

I think we are meant to see these as benign and wise reforms, especially given the author's defense of making a military chamber in the government! But I for one am starting to regret that Mr. Jackson missed.

I think we are meant to see these as benign and wise reforms, especially given the author's defense of making a military chamber in the government! But I for one am starting to regret that Mr. Jackson missed.

Historical perspective is a big part of this TL, you'll see why, eventually.

A note about the TL, this TL isn't about an individual POD in comparison to the general trends I've tried to create. I've almost gone for the turtledovian tactic of reverse engineering a particular scenario. This TL has an end, I may as well say it's the year 2000.
I will say, this TL, despite the name, is not a Britwank, although it seems to be going that way right now, and may seem to be going that way for the next 20 years.

Historical perspective is a big part of this TL, you'll see why, eventually.

A note about the TL, this TL isn't about an individual POD in comparison to the general trends I've tried to create. I've almost gone for the turtledovian tactic of reverse engineering a particular scenario. This TL has an end, I may as well say it's the year 2000.
I will say, this TL, despite the name, is not a Britwank, although it seems to be going that way right now, and may seem to be going that way for the next 20 years.
<gasp of horror> surely you aren't thinking of creating that abomination even unto other abominations that is a... CANADAWANK!?!?!?!?!?!?<dun-dun-duuuuuuuuuuun> <wolf howl>

WHAT!!!

Britain for the BRITISH??? BULLSHIT! A point of departure which starts with Arthur Wellseley becoming Prime Minister is FAR too late to really be Britain for the British. You would need a pre 500 or pre 1066 to have either a truly Anglo-Saxon England or a Romano-British Britain. Or is this a "the tories are in charge timeline?" What's the diffence between that sort of government and Russia of the time period. Also, you seem to want the Irish to be beaten down. They should recive their independence within 2 years of the potato famine. Did you know the landlords were shipping WHEAT out of IRELAND for export at the height of the FAMINE??? :eek:

Britain for the BRITISH??? BULLSHIT! A point of departure which starts with Arthur Wellseley becoming Prime Minister is FAR too late to really be Britain for the British. You would need a pre 500 or pre 1066 to have either a truly Anglo-Saxon England or a Romano-British Britain. Or is this a "the tories are in charge timeline?" What's the diffence between that sort of government and Russia of the time period. Also, you seem to want the Irish to be beaten down. They should recive their independence within 2 years of the potato famine. Did you know the landlords were shipping WHEAT out of IRELAND for export at the height of the FAMINE??? :eek:

What on earth are you talking about? The title is somewhat deceiving, and it's justified by the ending. It's nothing to do with ethnicity.

Secondly, please take your absolute garbage away from here, your biased and ridiculous history of the potato famine is not to be argued here. I suppose it is to be expected that you use the name of a trumped up English vassal and Irish Lord as your forum name. If you noticed the last post, the history of Ireland will be different ITTL, and regardless, the failed rebellion was much less violent and destructive than the Tithe War.

Just popping in to say good work on that latest installment and I'm looking forward to more. Hope that with the exams out of the way we'll be seeing much more regular installments :).

Exams are over, so I've devised a time-table for future updates -
I'm going to spend two-weeks reading for my future updates.

So from Thursday the 2nd of July, there will be updates every Tuesday and Thursday.

I'm so sorry, I was out of town unexpectedly on Thursday-Friday, so heres Thursday updates, apologies again.

Chapter 13: The Oxford Movement

Cardinal James Ranson, 1965 Interview
"The most important religious event of the nineteenth century was of course the Oxford Movement. Those men changed this country, and through their efforts saved an entire generation for the faith."

Extract from The Oxford Movement, by Samuel Jefferson

Chapter 1: Origins

The first steps of the Oxford Movement's meteoric rise emerged out of a minor appointment by the Duke of Wellington in 1830. Edward Bouverie Pusey was appointed to professor of Hebrew at Christ Church, Oxford, this included the Canonry of Christ Church. This early patronage would start a lengthy relationship between the Prime Minister and Pusey.

Pusey's prior work had been in Germany, combating rationalism within German protestantism. At this point, Pusey still believed that Protestantism should be saved from the inside. Pusey's collaborations with Newman and other authors such as Robert Wilburforce culminated in the Tracts for the Times, collection of tracts which lasted from 1833-1841. This became the backbone of the Oxford Movement. As the decade wore on, the tracts became more and more pro-Catholic. [1]

However, at first the Oxford movement, as one historian said 'Picked bar fights'. It's main opposition was to the 'corruption' to the tithe as a result of of the Tamworth Treaty in 1832. However soon the Tractarians, as they were called at the time were attacking the state of the Anglican mass, advocating more Catholic practices.

A following quickly emerged. The 'High Church' adopted the Oxford Movements recommendations. The High Church mainly consisted of the wealthiest landlords and the oldest magnates. However, due to the growth of businesses owned by such individuals, following the Tamworth Treaty, a vast High Church following emerged. The new factory and agricultural towns that emerged only had High Church churches, one town outside Manchester, which is now swallowed by the great metropolis, boasted a new Cathedral, University, School and Library despite having a population of 1500. The support for the High Church among the landowners and their employees would only be matched by the sporting associations set up later.

This change was gradual, and the great High Church revolution happened over about 15 years. In the mean time though, the leadership of the Church of England, led by the conflicted William Howley was being pressured from above by Wellington's government.

Archbishop Howley was High Church by conviction, but did not agree with the Tractarians, who he saw as vicious Romanisers. Further, the Wellington government, having just denied an extension of rights to Catholics, forced him to be even more reactionary. The government feared that the Tractarians were Romanisers, and therefire, by dismissing them and barring their practices, something they simply had no power to enforce, they created a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Further, the Wellington administration, staffed largely by High Churchers, alienated it's own core supporters and created a sense of paranoia in Parliament. Sir Robert Peel realised this, and made moves to create an alliance between the Whig-alligned dissenters and his own High Tory Party. In 1833 the Test and Corporation Acts, which placed civil rights enfringements upon Dissenting Protestants, those not aligned with the Church of England, were repealed. This strengthened the voice for Catholic Emancipation, which some tractarians supported, and also caused an exodus of some pragmatic evangelicals from the Church of England to Dissenting denominations. The result was a vicious balance of power shift in the Church of England towards the increasingly tractarian High Church.

[1] This is as OTL
[2] As opposed to the Great Reform act

hello? there have been no updates since the last one, 1 and a bit months ago. is this because you are dead or something?