Britain ends slavery in 1772

In 1772 , the English court heard the Somersett case which essentially established the precedent that slavery was illegal in England but not it's colonies. What effects might this have if England decides that it applies throughout the empire? On the American Revolution? Relations with the West Indies? India?

There was a strong West Indian lobby in Parliament at the time and this is a generation before the great anti-slavery movement in Britain. I suspect the Government would reintroduce slavery there perhaps in some limited or disguised form, indentureship maybe.
In America this would be seen as another Bitish imposition on the rights of free born Englishmen who happen to live in the colonies. Perhaps the Revolution will happen sooner. I wonder how the Declaration of Independance would read if the right to own slaves was a war objective.:D

I have always wondered what would happen if the ARW started because British Ended Slavery, and the war is always remembered because the American Colonies wanted to keep slavery.

I have always wondered what would happen if the ARW started because British Ended Slavery, and the war is always remembered because the American Colonies wanted to keep slavery.

The colonies would likely be split on that question which may help the Brits. The Northern states outlawed slavery reletively early.

But at the time of the POD, every single colony practiced slavery. In New York, New Jersey, and western Pennsylvania it was actually quite common, if nowhere near the plantation economy of the South.

But at the time of the POD, every single colony practiced slavery. In New York, New Jersey, and western Pennsylvania it was actually quite common, if nowhere near the plantation economy of the South.

It was, however quickly declining and becoming contraversial in the northern states.

In the Southern States, too. Only after the Cotton Gin did it become so essential to the southern economy.

The Americans will be pissed and it will likely be added to a long list of objections sent to the crown, but it won't become a revolt centered around slavery as that peculiar institution was actually on the decline, at the time.