Britain allied with Central Powers

NomadicSky

Banned
Maybe I'd need to go back more than 1900 for this.

The basic idea is that The UK is allied with Germany WW1 breaks out and the British side with Austria.

Can this happen? I know that the British and Prussians were allied before is it possible for them to be still or for relations with France to get so bad before the war that when WW1 breaks out they join the central powers.

Either Beligum gives military access to Germany, or the British side with the Germans before the July Incident. As there was a chance that the British would not enter the war at all, I suspect it is possible to get the King and Kaiser on a propaganda poster together.

I suspect you would need a different flash point for WWI if Britain is going to be siding with the Germans, its likely the French would have reigned in the Tzar to put pressure on the Serbs to concede to the Austrian ultimatum.

I doubt Italy would enter the war in this scenario either.

I mean really, France/Russia versus Germany/Austria-Hungary and Britain and probably the Ottomans...as Breslau and Goeben could no doubt take the same course as OTL. Unless the timing of the various DOW's if off somewhat.

I don't see a GB allied with either Germany or AH, ...... But I have seen several very detailed WW1 TL's with a Neutral GB.

The basic idea is that The UK is allied with Germany WW1 breaks out and the British side with Austria.

Can this happen? I know that the British and Prussians were allied before is it possible for them to be still or for relations with France to get so bad before the war that when WW1 breaks out they join the central powers.
You'd Almost Need a COMPLETELY Different Flash Point, as The Only Way I See King George and Kaiser Wilhelm Getting Together, is on a Grand-Children of Queen Victoria Treaty ...

As This Would Likely Include Czar Nicholas as Well, it Becomes a Variation on The Three Emperors Treaty, with or without Austria this Time Around, And Would Require a Decidedly Pro-Russian Incident, to Set in Motion ...

But, if Polish Separatists Gun Down Czarevich Alexie, All Hell Would Break Loose!

:eek:

Three times the British and the Germans talked about an alliance but it never happened. If I remember correctly it was Chamberlain who wanted the alliance to include Germany, UK, and the USA. You need to have the Kaiser and Triptiz to be more receptive to this. Triptiz did not want any alliance with the UK for he felt it would impede the devlopment of the German navy.

Glen did a timeline simler to this but since he left it has'nt been updated.

Cherico

Banned
first you need to have the germans concentrate on their army instead of their navy do that and you take away the thing that freaked out the brits. Next you need the french to have a higher birthrate do that and they have a bigger economy a bigger army and start to look like britians traditional
enemy. Next have russia become more boistrous about getting their warm
water port. If they try anything in the middle east near india that will
freak out the brits.
Next break out the news that a resurgent France and a beligerant Russia
have allied together aganst germany. To clinch the allance have the
french attack through belgum while the germans attempt a defensive
track.

first you need to have the germans concentrate on their army instead of their navy do that and you take away the thing that freaked out the brits. Next you need the french to have a higher birthrate do that and they have a bigger economy a bigger army and start to look like britians traditional
enemy. Next have russia become more boistrous about getting their warm
water port. If they try anything in the middle east near india that will
freak out the brits.
Next break out the news that a resurgent France and a beligerant Russia
have allied together aganst germany. To clinch the allance have the
french attack through belgum while the germans attempt a defensive
track.

All you really need is the germans concentrating on their army. The British goverment under Chamberlien already wanted an alliance with Germany.

Perhaps Russia wins the Russo-Japanese War. If you've got a more menacing Russia, Britain might be far less inclined to side with France and stay neutral instead.

Three times the British and the Germans talked about an alliance but it never happened. If I remember correctly it was Chamberlain who wanted the alliance to include Germany, UK, and the USA. You need to have the Kaiser and Triptiz to be more receptive to this. Triptiz did not want any alliance with the UK for he felt it would impede the devlopment of the German navy.

As I recall, the Kaiser also felt that the British regarded the Germans as being the lesser partner of any potential alliance; getting him to be more inclined to accept any British offers of alliance might not take much more than a few flaps of butterfly wings to change the wording of the British offers to something that strokes his ego instead of offending it.

As I recall, the Kaiser also felt that the British regarded the Germans as being the lesser partner of any potential alliance; getting him to be more inclined to accept any British offers of alliance might not take much more than a few flaps of butterfly wings to change the wording of the British offers to something that strokes his ego instead of offending it.

True if I remember correctly also that the Kaieser was also upset at something else. Need to go back and check.

Well lets see here, Chamberlain wanted an Anglo-German alliance because he was concerned with Russian expansion into Asia. A more aggressive expansion could push Britain into alliance. However, Britain would over time be the lesser of the partners, for there army was not as strong and it would allow Germany to build up her navy to a point where she could challenge Britain.

Here is a thought, somehow the US allies with France and the Prince of Wales is murdered by and Irish American at a time when Britain has a particularly reactionary tory government.

I'm writing a timeline that has the UK allied with Germany, A-H, Ottomans, Bulgaria, vs France, Russia, Romania in an alternate WW1. The POD is the Fashoda Crisis escalates into war. In the present version, Italy was with France and Russia but switched sides midway. See my sig.

I'm writing a timeline that has the UK allied with Germany, A-H, Ottomans, Bulgaria, vs France, Russia, Romania in an alternate WW1. The POD is the Fashoda Crisis escalates into war. In the present version, Italy was with France and Russia but switched sides midway. See my sig.

Unless there are clashes between the Royal Navy and the French Fleet in the English Channel the 'shootout' at Fashoda you describe is little to cause any lasting problems between Britain and France. The French are working hard to bring the British around to their side in the eventual war with Germany. The French were very outspoken supports of the Boers (more so that the Germans) during the Anglo-Boer War and that didn't sour things between London and Paris.

Unless there are clashes between the Royal Navy and the French Fleet in the English Channel the 'shootout' at Fashoda you describe is little to cause any lasting problems between Britain and France. The French are working hard to bring the British around to their side in the eventual war with Germany. The French were very outspoken supports of the Boers (more so that the Germans) during the Anglo-Boer War and that didn't sour things between London and Paris.

Well it's more a deterioration in relations in addition to other contributing factors that ends with Britain and France in opposite blocs by the middle of the 1910s.

In any case, an Englishman never needs a reason to hate France/the French.

The Kaiser actually wished to see Britain and France go to war in Fashoda. The problem is with an Anglo-German Alliance is that most of the German advisors and people in power did not want an alliance with Britain. They all remembered how the wife of Kaiser Fredrick, Vicotria wanted to make Germany into a liberal country. Least to say the Junkers were not too happy about that. So if you could eliminate this hate toward the British, by maybe making Fredrick, more controlling of his wife, than the Junkers would less fear an alliance with Britian.

Another way possibly is to make Lord Salisbury late to a meeting with Kaiser Wilhelm. Lord Salisbury was late twice in the same day and this angered the Kaiser. This led to the sending of the Kueger Telegram. Eliminating this event could also lead to better relationships between the UK and Germany.

The Kaiser actually wished to see Britain and France go to war in Fashoda. The problem is with an Anglo-German Alliance is that most of the German advisors and people in power did not want an alliance with Britain. They all remembered how the wife of Kaiser Fredrick, Vicotria wanted to make Germany into a liberal country. Least to say the Junkers were not too happy about that. So if you could eliminate this hate toward the British, by maybe making Fredrick, more controlling of his wife, than the Junkers would less fear an alliance with Britian.

Another way possibly is to make Lord Salisbury late to a meeting with Kaiser Wilhelm. Lord Salisbury was late twice in the same day and this angered the Kaiser. This led to the sending of the Kueger Telegram. Eliminating this event could also lead to better relationships between the UK and Germany.

Thx for the info. I read that Britain and Germany were close while Vicky was alive but relations became strained after. I'm rewriting my timeline (again) but have a look if you like..