Bristol - First City of the Empire

I am looking at a timeline where Bristol rather than London is the capital of England.

Can I have your thoughts on how this may alter ENglish history.

I am aware that since Bristol faces West not East trade is more likely to be developed earlier with America but don't know to what extent.

The problem is that by the time the Americas are discovered and Bristol gets a chance to shine the capital will already have been chosen. Prior to the discovery of the America's something on the Thames estuary or on the Solent makes a lot more sense in terms of having potential to be a prosperous trading city and also being close enough to all the important places to react quickly.

I am looking at a timeline where Bristol rather than London is the capital of England.

Can I have your thoughts on how this may alter ENglish history.

I am aware that since Bristol faces West not East trade is more likely to be developed earlier with America but don't know to what extent.

Are you by chance from Bristol?

Anyhow, the capital is likely to be chosen long before the America's was discovered.

I believe Bristol was the 'Second City' of Britain and especially the British Empire with regards to the 'First Empire' until the Industrial Revolution anyways. It was especially prominent in medieval times, renaissance, and the 17th century. That's as good as you can get without changing history too wildly.

It seems to me that London became the capital of England around the time of Edward the Confessor, who moved from Winchester and built Westminster. The City of Westminster then became the capital (the City of London was still mainly trade).

My POD is based around more trade with Ireland (stronger links from Roman times) and greater resourses of metal in the West Country (more gold and silver in COrnwall / Devon).

Neither of which really justify centering England's interests around it over London - it being a big, important city that's clearly #2 by far, sure, but ignoring butterflies on if there is an England - that doesn't sound like it would make it worth more than all the other trade and political reasons pointing east.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Well the simplest way would be for something calamitous to happen to London

Alternatively, you'd need probably to go back before Alfred's time and change how the various Anglo-Saxon kingdoms play things out. If Wessex-Mercia still emerge, but do NOT own London then the chances of London eventually developing as the capital would be less. Actually, if you can Mercia to remain dominant over Wessex, then in time the capital is more likely to drift to a major port than remain inland.

Maybe the Danes remain longer and stronger in the East and there's a later reconquest by the time that Bristol has grown too important to give up as the main city

Best Regards
Grey Wolf