Boeing Washington MkII

This idea for an earlier Washington bomber came about from two directions. I have always been interested in the Rolls Royce Vulture and how it was a near miss but RR had worked out where it went wrong by the time the engine was cancelled. The Vulture is redesigned with RR Merlin sized cylinders and becomes a 3,000 hp 54litre/3300cubic inch engine. The new engine is called the Vulture 100 but is usually known as the Super Vulture.

The second direction I came from was Tube Alloys becomes the British/Canadian Atom bomb programme working on a Uranium Gun bomb whilst the Manhattan Project works on the Plutonium Implosion bomb and the unsuccesful Plutonium Thin Man gun bomb. How to carry this bomb which was thought to be much heavier than it turned out to be, a Lancaster could carry it but would probably be too slow and too low to get away from the blast.

No spare capacity existed in Britain and not enough infrastructure existed in Canada so it was decided that the British Purchasing Commision would see what the big US companies could come up with.

Part 1: January 1940 New York the Anglo/French Purchasing commision is given a most secret order from a secretive organisation called the Committee On Scientific Air Defence who are working on a project called Tube Alloys to ask the big US aircraft companies to propose plans for a new bomber project. The new bomber project called initially Heavy Torpedo Patrol Bomber is given the code name Tin Plate to be consistent with Tube Alloys, codenames meant to be intenionally vague but believable. Tin Plate is an intentionally loose requirement probably fewer than 10 people know what Tube Alloys is and why the Tin Plate project really exists. Only vague ideas of the size and weight of a future bomb exist and it was decided that a plane with 10,000 horsepower capable of an operating altitude of 35,000 feet and a speed of 350mph carrying a 26 foot long and 4 foot diameter Torpedo would be needed. To act as a cover story a torpedo project called Helmover for a giant RR Merlin engined guided torpedo is used as the reason for the design of such a large bomb bay.

The Tin Plate requirement was studied by Douglas, Convair, Lockheed and Boeing. Lockheed and Douglas are simply too busy to put forward plans but Convair and Boeing put forward modified versions of projects they are working on for the USAAC. By 11th May 1940 Boeing have an initial design the model 346 and it is decided Convairs project will not be considered. Boeing is given a contract worth $600,000 to develop the 346. The USAAC is not happy at the Anglo French they think they are trying to horn in on their plane and complain to Washington.

May/June The battle of France rages Tube Alloys and Tin Plate get put on the back burner in London. In Washington the USAAC works on getting the Boeing 346 cancelled. The Anglo/French purchasing commision is disbanded and reformed as the British Purchasing commision taking over all contracts intended for the French.

June 1940 the MAUD Committee is formed

July 1940 the MAUD Committee have a meeting with Churchill. He is told of Tube Alloys and the fears that the Germans have captured some of the French scientists working on the project and must have the same knowledge. It will now be a race to build an Atom Bomb. In Washington the USAAC gets its way and work on the 346 is stopped.

August 1940 The MAUD committee commisions the Canadians to start work on a reactor. Vickers present a design for a Tin Plate bomber but doubt they can even start on work for 2 years without badly delaying designs that are needed now not at some time in the future. A design for a big bomb by one of the Vickers designers Barnes Wallis is marked as of interest and filed for future use.

Boeing is given a contract by the USAAC for 3 prototype 345s to be known as XB-29 but Tin Plate is stuck in a development hell Boeing dont wish to upset its major customer the USAAC but they have a legal contract to develop the 346. A compromise is brought about by the Canadians a new company called Victory Aircraft is set up and the USAAC is told that Victory will be building the 346 whilst Boeing will build the 345. Boeing promises that the 346 project will not slow down the 345 and the USAAC whilst still not happy is told by Washington to can it and get on with it.

January 2nd 1941 with the ink barely dry on the Boeing Victory contract a 4th prototype known as X346 is ordered it is to be built to the USAAC XB-29 designs but will be delivered to Victory aircraft to act as a prototype of what is now to be known as the Washington MkI. This follows the RAF naming of bombers after British Cities but also following the policy of naming US weapons after names that acknwoledge the close ties between the UK and the US.

Helmover it was an absolutely bonkers idea
The idea of the Helmover was that it ran for much of the time on or just under the surface (with a snorkel to provide air to the Rolls Royce Meteor engine), under radio control from the aircraft which had dropped it
Speed was 40 knots (surfaced or submerged) range 50 miles on the surface, three miles submerged. It carried exactly one ton of explosives.
hellmore.jpg

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
Lockheed had this for their long range, 10,000 pound bombload high altitude pressurized bomber,
Lockheed_XB-30.jpg

based on what would become the Constellation after the War
320px-Lockheed_Constellation_1943_NAN15Feb43.jpg

Never was greenlit, due to the longer ranged B-29 having priority on the Wright R-3350 engines

But for the British who push for a small production order, why not?

Archibald

Banned
So far I like it. Helmover is a strange mix of Grand Slam, torpedo, and antiship missile. It should be able to cut a Yamato in two like a hot knife through butter. I don't know however if it is possible to run a turbojet underwater: even the vought Regulus I and II needed the sub to surface before firing a rocket before light the cruise jet.

Part 2.
Early to Mid 1941 The Victory plant underwent a massive transformation from a relatively small factory making Avro Ansons to a massive 600 acre site, the shell of a 1,200 foot long assembly shed dominated the site. The Canadian govt recruited the first of 10,000 workers who were sent in batches of 100 a month to Boeings Renton site to learn the basics of aircraft production. At times almost 1 in 5 of workers at Boeings B29 works were Canadians learning on the job before transferring back to Ontario to pass on the skills they learned.

March 1941. Rolls Royce are told that work on the troublesome Vulture will stop and instead they will commence work on the Vulture 100. This is a great relief to the team at Derby one worker recalled "There was no bloomin elbow room in the Vulture to modify the crank it was just to tight to fit in the changes needed, The V100 let us correct our inital mistakes". The new design was a relatively easy job a lot of the initial design work had already been done and there was no new technology involved everything from the crankcases up was a copy of the latest Merlin engine with just changes to suit the X24 layout. A virtually hand made proof of concept toolshop engine was built in a rush mainly to give Aircraft manufacturers something to design around but also to check that the crank problems of the Vulture had been solved.

September 1941 The prototype engine spluttered and coughed into life and annoyingly refused to break or wear out. Engineers like new engines to break so they can pull it apart and see whats gone wrong. The Vulture 100 just kept on rumbling away its only problem being a major thirst for Oil as the handbuilt crankcase leaked like a sieve.

December 1941. The engineers at Derby decided right lets break this engine we have learnt a lot from testing it but we want to see just how far we can push it. The new 3 stage Supercharger was not ready yet so a Rolls Royce Kestrel engine was brought in to run a compressor to push the intake air pressure to +21psi. Sir Stanley Hooker recalled later in his autobiography "the noise was indescribable as we wound up the engine past 3,000rpm I thought the roof was going to come off the test cell, after 5 minutes I did some calculations on my slide rule and realised the engine was kicking out 3,700hp. With hand gestures I told the test cell foreman to wind the throttles open as far as they would go, we all pressed our backs to the wall and watched as the gauges went off the scales and after 2 minutes of torture the engine let go with a bang and a huge ball of flame". The wrecked engine was taken apart and it was found that a backfire had blown the supercharger clean off the engine destroying the Kestrel slave engine. B cylinder head had lifted from the cylinder block and the crankcase was full of bits of piston and conrod. The crank the part that had worried everyone after the Vultures problems was slightly out of balance but otherwise in good condition. Calculations showed that the engine had briefly run at 4,250 rpm producing 4,500hp.

Data from wikipedia

Specifications (Vulture 100)

Data from Lumsden and Gunston.

General characteristics
  • Type: X-24 supercharged liquid-cooled piston engine
  • Bore: 5.4 in (137 mm)
  • Stroke: 6 in (152 mm)
  • Displacement: 3,298 cu in (54 L)
  • Dry weight: 3,650 lb (1,659 kg)
Components
Performance

Last edited:
Washington MkI data. 80 Washington MkIs were supplied to the RAF and RCAF for crew training these were a mix of aircrfat coming from Boeing in Renton, Martin in Omaha and Victory in Ontario. They were identical to the B29s used by the USAAC.

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

• Guns:
  • Bombs: 20,000 lb (9,000 kg) standard loadout.

Washington MkII data. These were the RAF and RCAF production aircraft that came from Victory in Ontario but with many components from the US. MkIIa was a special version that was built to carry the Helmsman Atomic bomb

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

• Guns:
    • 2× .50 BMG and 1× 20 mm MkV cannon in tail position (the 0.50s were later removed and the armament was 2 x MkV Hispano[N 11]
  • Bombs: 24,000 lb MAX 20,000 lb standard loadout. The most common load was 2 x 4,000 lb Cookies plus 10,000 lb of incendaries in 10 containers. MkIIa max bombload was 20,000 lb.

Nice idea, but I think it would be too expensive in US$s that the UK doesn't have. More likely IMHO for the AM to issue a spec. for a 'super' heavy bomber. They did OTL with 20mm cannon turrets - but it didn't go to production.

Nice idea, but I think it would be too expensive in US$s that the UK doesn't have. More likely IMHO for the AM to issue a spec. for a 'super' heavy bomber. They did OTL with 20mm cannon turrets - but it didn't go to production.

The UK got a lot of Canadian Lend Lease this is apart from the engines a Canadian project with US and British technical assistance and I might even have the engines made in North America. The UK wont be paying for the aircraft though they do put a very large amount of money upfront to help Boeing and Victory with start up costs. In the real Victory ended up making a Lancaster X a day with about 9,000 employees but in this time line Victory Aircraft is a 12,000 employee factory turning out a B29 a day, also Canadian Car & Foundry doesnt make 1,400 Hurricanes and 850 Helldivers but makes components for the Washington and B-29. The RAF will end the war with over 200 Washington Is, IIs and IIas. The RCAF will end up with over 100 Is and IIs.

I pretty much have the Washingtons timeline sorted but I am still researching the Anglo/Canadian Nuclear Project and the Uranium gun type bomb known as Helmsman (basically Little Boy but in a different bomb casing). There were several important sites in Canada Chalk River Laboratory Ontario, McGill University Montreal Laboratory, Cominco British Columbia and Eldorado gold mine at Port Radium which all need to be sorted out in my head.

No Alien Space Bats will be harmed in this timeline.

Helmsman was the code name for the Anglo/Canadian Bomb known originally as the High Altitude Target Marking Device later renamed as Orange Herald. It was 18 feet 6 inches long (5.5 Meters) by 4 feet diameter (1.22 m) and weighed 10,950 lb (4,950 kg). In the top picture you can see it in its component parts. The flat nose cone section containing batteries, back up air driven generator, Radio altimeters x 2 and an Impact fuse if the air burst fuse didnt operate. The middle section contains the physics the domed section is the Uranium target and you can see the gun barrel which fires the Uranium slug to acheive critical Fission mass. The gun barrel fits in the tail which also contains the main fuse triggered by the radio altimeters. The second photo shows a bomb casing which is on display at RAF Cosford Museum.

yellowsun.jpg

1.1-megaton-Yellow-Sun-Hydrogen-nuclear-bomb.jpg

This photo shows the original Barnes Wallis designed High Altitude Target Marking Device but in testing it was found the pointed nose allowed the bomb to break the sound barrier which upset the radio altimeters. The flat nose slowed down the device and allowed better height control and gave the dropping bomber time to get away. Barnes Wallis used his original design to develop the Tallboy deep penetration bomb.

British_Grand_Slam_bomb.jpg

Another thing to consider with fixing the Vulture engine is that other projects such as the Tornado and Manchester can go ahead.
Chances are the British would probably make sure the capacity existed, so we could be looking at an exchange of the American
Airframe and British engine, which would probably be repeated with the P51s, resulting in British built Mustangs.

Archibald

Banned
December 1941. The engineers at Derby decided right lets break this engine we have learnt a lot from testing it but we want to see just how far we can push it. The new 3 stage Supercharger was not ready yet so a Rolls Royce Kestrel engine was brought in to run a compressor to push the intake air pressure to +21psi. Sir Stanley Hooker recalled later in his autobiography "the noise was indescribable as we wound up the engine past 3,000rpm I thought the roof was going to come off the test cell, after 5 minutes I did some calculations on my slide rule and realised the engine was kicking out 3,700hp. With hand gestures I told the test cell foreman to wind the throttles open as far as they would go, we all pressed our backs to the wall and watched as the gauges went off the scales and after 2 minutes of torture the engine let go with a bang and a huge ball of flame". The wrecked engine was taken apart and it was found that a backfire had blown the supercharger clean off the engine destroying the Kestrel slave engine. B cylinder head had lifted from the cylinder block and the crankcase was full of bits of piston and conrod. The crank the part that had worried everyone after the Vultures problems was slightly out of balance but otherwise in good condition. Calculations showed that the engine had briefly run at 4,250 rpm producing 4,500hp.

Oh gosh this was such a fun read. It reminds me that scene in Porco rosso when they run the new engine at full power and the entire hangar roof tries to lift itself off the ground.

Data from wikipedia

Specifications (Vulture 100)

Data from Lumsden and Gunston.

General characteristics
  • Type: X-24 supercharged liquid-cooled piston engine
  • Bore: 5.4 in (137 mm)
  • Stroke: 6 in (152 mm)
  • Displacement: 3,298 cu in (54 L)
  • Dry weight: 3,650 lb (1,659 kg)
Components
Performance

I notice that the performance quoted seems fairly modest, and was easily bested by the lonely orphaned Pennine, smaller and lighter. I also noticed that the Bendix pressure carb is mounted downdraft, but can be changed with little effort to any position to take advantage of altered induction duct routing.

I notice that the performance quoted seems fairly modest, and was easily bested by the lonely orphaned Pennine, smaller and lighter. I also noticed that the Bendix pressure carb is mounted downdraft, but can be changed with little effort to any position to take advantage of altered induction duct routing.

The Pennine was too lightly built to take the boost it was a civilian engine fine and economical when used for the Armstrong Whitley Enterprise long range liner but 24psi boost would have blown the heads off.

The Vulture 100 series engines like the Merlin 60 series engines had a relatively modest take off power output but had a very good continuous climbing power.

The 105 Vulture had a take off power of 2,380 hp but could do 2,450 hp in medium supercharge at 13,000 ft and 2,550 hp in high supercharge at 24,080 hp, at 30,000 feet the 105 was still giving 2,020 hp.

The original position of the Bendix carb inlet was below the crankcase line and was an updraught but larger oil coolers were fitted after trials with the power egg installation and the carb intake was moved to the top of the engine.

The Pennine was too lightly built to take the boost it was a civilian engine fine and economical when used for the Armstrong Whitley Enterprise long range liner but 24psi boost would have blown the heads off.

The Vulture 100 series engines like the Merlin 60 series engines had a relatively modest take off power output but had a very good continuous climbing power.

The 105 Vulture had a take off power of 2,380 hp but could do 2,450 hp in medium supercharge at 13,000 ft and 2,550 hp in high supercharge at 24,080 hp, at 30,000 feet the 105 was still giving 2,020 hp.

The original position of the Bendix carb inlet was below the crankcase line and was an updraught but larger oil coolers were fitted after trials with the power egg installation and the carb intake was moved to the top of the engine.

I am aware how much effort was put into Pennine development.

The advantage with a side draft carb is the use of wing leading edge inlets, fairly neat and dragless.

The advantage with a side draft carb is the use of wing leading edge inlets, fairly neat and dragless.

The Power Egg installation means the carb inlet needs to be on the engine cowling, the nacelle as far as the firewall is a common item for both the B29 and Washingon II made by Canadian Car & Foundry. The Wright R3350, P&W R4360, Alison V3240, RR Vulture 100 and Bristol Orion can all fit the nacelle without any alteration.