Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

This is a wonderful question! To answer simply, yes. Ultimately, the Second Bill of Rights represents the "North Star" guiding Democratic politics ITTL. When RFK will speak of the "Dream" and the "Cause" on the campaign trail, this is what he's talking about. Expect Kennedy to pursue it's passage (in one form or another) if he's elected President.
Splendid :). Still on the economic front, it is mentioned that the TTL 1979 economy was beginning to show the first, sputtering signs of recovery. Mr. President, does this mean the OTL's early 1980's recession, which was a disaster for the Rust Belt, is butterflied? I hope that TTL Democrats do adopt an industrial policy that could have gone a long way toward checking the potential economic devastation and helping ensure a smoother transition for the Rust Belt and other industrialized hubs. Maybe the next Democratic administration and Congress could pursue either a series of government subsidies to struggling industries or some kind of tax reform to incentivize companies to modernize and keep manufacturing operations in the United States combined with a general tariff levy on foreign manufactured goods such as vehicles, electronics, and steel, to name three?

Splendid :). Still on the economic front, it is mentioned that the TTL 1979 economy was beginning to show the first, sputtering signs of recovery. Mr. President, does this mean the OTL's early 1980's recession, which was a disaster for the Rust Belt, is butterflied? I hope that TTL Democrats do adopt an industrial policy that could have gone a long way toward checking the potential economic devastation and helping ensure a smoother transition for the Rust Belt and other industrialized hubs. Maybe the next Democratic administration and Congress could pursue either a series of government subsidies to struggling industries or some kind of tax reform to incentivize companies to modernize and keep manufacturing operations in the United States combined with a general tariff levy on foreign manufactured goods such as vehicles, electronics, and steel, to name three?
Excellent question as well!

In short, most likely. As I'll address in the forthcoming updates on 1980 in general and the presidential election in particular, 1980 will not be a great year economically. Interest rates and unemployment remain high. As inflation finally slows down, however (after five years of effort by the Federal Reserve under both Bush and Udall), 1981-82 is poised to begin a proper recovery.

There is a faction within the Democratic Party, the so-called Atari Democrats, who will advocate for more moderate economic positions, along with huge investments in technology to keep up with a changing world. Whether or not they will become a dominant force in the party will largely depend on how the 1980s go ITTL. Say RFK is nominated by the Democrats in 1980 and then wins, he will likely inherit an economy that is finally starting to turn around, and will share the credit for it with fellow Democrat Mo Udall. If Reagan is elected, he will surely put a stop to liberal plans to spend that newfound wealth on government programs.

Well I hope Bruce Springsteen made a full recovery from that concert nightmare. I can see firecrackers and such being banned from all gigs after this.

“Y.M.C.A.” dance - well I guess as long as Village People made the song we will get this dance!

Kurt Russell stars in Elvis!, - sounds like a good show, thank you very much.
“Disco Demolition Night”,- glad it went wrong for them as the whole thing was very mean spirited imho.

"to see James Taylor and the Beatles perform a benefit concert in a campaign to restore Sheep Meadow." - was Sheep Meadow restored?

"English rock band Bauhaus release “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”, - would that not be punk at the time?

"The Sugarhill Gang release Rapper’s Delight," - it will never catch on...

"Heart of Darkness" - they made the original book ITTL? That is very neat- I suspect its a dark and thought provoking movie. Should have won more Oscars.

"the beginning of a close partnership between Disney and Henson and his properties." - I could see Henson on the board of Disney :)

"Production begins on the much-anticipated sequel to Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back." - and this hopefully with teach Lucas the value in letting other people play with his toys when Empire makes a packet, a lesson he will keep applying to his movies.

No TV news from the UK?

Congratz on the award Mehdi Bazargan!

"Moonraker - Spy Thriller." - glad it is closer to the book. Not that the OTL film is purely bad- Jaws finds love! But it is a tad ridiculous.

"the missile-building base, located between Dover and Deal" - the idea of a base on this coastline where it can easily be shelled from sea is daft. But Bond so....

"remains a dedicated Nazi, bent on revenge against England for the wartime defeat of his Fatherland" - diabolical!

"He explains that he now means to destroy London," - monologuing!

"only to be killed as the vessel makes its escape through the waters onto which the Moonraker has been re-targeted." - well some questions might be asked about a blue atomic blast in the English Channel!

"The film also helped convince Glover to remain with the character for the time being" - hooray!

"Filmed on a budget of just $400,000, it earned more than US$100 million worldwide" - now that is a LOT of cash. Sequel soon I bet.

"Rush would return as Max in 1981's Mad Max 2 and 1985's Beyond Thunderdome." - hopefully they are better movies than the OTL ones which went a bit downhill.

"Off the Wall was the fifth studio album by Michael Jackson." - hopefully the success of this will not goto Jackson's head, and he gets some serious help and advise. Perhaps from the Rat Pack or anyone else to help him deal with the fame and pressures esp now he is not a child/teen star.

Nice updates there.

There is a faction within the Democratic Party, the so-called Atari Democrats, who will advocate for more moderate economic positions, along with huge investments in technology to keep up with a changing world. Whether or not they will become a dominant force in the party will largely depend on how the 1980s go ITTL
I hope these Atari Democrats are a different breed from the OTL Clinton Democrats/Blair New Labour, who shifted so much to the center that they became no different than the Republican/Conservative Party.

"Manhattan is not released ITTL. Woody Allen...." - I can see this being a 'lost movie' and there being pressure to release it, esp once Allen is dead.

"Monty Python's The Gospel According to St. Brian" = protests, pearl clutching, and all sort of threats from the usual suspects ahead?

"He (Jesus) isn't particularly mock-able. His teachings are all very decent stuff." - quite true indeed it seems.

"When Brian overhears the scheming of Judas (Eric Idle) with the Pharisees, he fears for his new (and only) friend. His main goal becomes protecting Jesus from the crucifixion he knows is coming. Brian's efforts to save Jesus lead to a series of absurd, chaotic, and hilarious escapades." - this sounds hilarious!

"including a lisping Pontius Pilate" - played by Frankie Howard?

"The climax of the film occurs as Brian and his followers stage a chaotic attempt to save Jesus, which predictably goes awry, leading to a crucifixion that is more farcical than tragic." - does the movie still have the UFO sequence?

"Christ encourages Brian and the rest of his followers to "cheer up." He then leads them in a rousing musical number, imploring them to "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". - LOL. Cleese singing that song just seems.... odd.

"For one thing, the film carried an R-rating due to nudity, profanity, and other content." - well that cuts out a lot of market. No 15 or 18 rating cut possible?

I'd def watch this version of Brian!

"The Warriors - Set in a dystopian near-future New York State in 1979," - isn't it 1979? That's hardly 'near-future' then!

"ITTL, the Three-Mile Island Incident is contained and handled much better." - well that is good news!

Another fun Chapter there.

Ps. I am really hoping you can save 1980's Raise the Titanic, the book was great, the movie less so. Please fix it so it's a great movie @President_Lincoln

July 1st - The Sony Walkman, which will become an icon of the 1980s, is first released in Japan.
Sony's gonna be a real powerhouse in this timeline, huh? Not only do they have a monopoly on home video with Betamax, but they'll potentially have a joint monopoly with Philips in the audio industry once CD's come around in 1981. Makes me wonder if we'll see a late 90's-early 2000's optical disc format war... OTL, DVD was a merger of Sony and Philips’s Multimedia CD (MMCD) and the Super Density Disc (SDD) developed by Toshiba and some other companies. It took a bunch of manufacturers like Microsoft, Apple, and IBM coming together and issuing a press release that basically said "hey, we'll only accept a single format, as we don't want a repeat of VHS and Betamax."
Next Time on Blue Skies in Camelot: TV in the 1970s - A Retrospective
Ah, I was about to ask where a certain movie was in this update... but since it's based on a TV show, I bet it'll be in the next one. Looking forward to it!
hopefully if atari doesn't end up going under i pray that nintendo is still a thing in TTL (even with consoles like the atari jaguar not failing)
Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo were name dropped near the end of Chapter 111 (a tech update) so I'm sure Nintendo will still get into video games. I do wonder if the American Video Game Crash of 1983 still happens... though you'd have to change quite a bit about the industry of the time to prevent it.

Last edited:
"Rush would return as Max in 1981's Mad Max 2 and 1985's Beyond Thunderdome." - hopefully they are better movies than the OTL ones which went a bit downhill.
Maybe this time it won't take us 30 years to finally get beyond Thunderdome
🥁

:p
*(Guru Larry impression)*...eh..I'll get me coat.....

Maybe this time it won't take us 30 years to finally get beyond Thunderdome
🥁

:p
*(Guru Larry impression)*...eh..I'll get me coat.....
Mr. President, is Mad Max going to be a Movie Trilogy ITTL or is it going beyond like IOTL? If you're going to ask me, a trilogy would've been enough for this movie. Just give it a perfect ending by the end of Mad Max 3 and that should be it ITTL.

Mr.President Question in regards to the LGBTQ being more accepted in this timeline do you think this would cause Ed Koch to be more open while he was running for office?
That is if he still runs for office

Just suggestion, but maybe since Elvis is still alive here, maybe he befriends Michael Jackson, takes him under his wing to some degree.

Just suggestion, but maybe since Elvis is still alive here, maybe he befriends Michael Jackson, takes him under his wing to some degree.
I second that suggestion of yours genius! Both Elvis Presley and The Beatles guide and help Michael Jackson on how to handle his success and fame at the beginning of the 80's. He'll have a better lifestyle, career, and health ITTL with their guidances, advices, and choices.

I second that suggestion of yours genius! Both Elvis Presley and The Beatles guide and help Michael Jackson on how to handle his success and fame at the beginning of the 80's. He'll have a better lifestyle, career, and health ITTL with their guidances, advices, and choices.
I would love to see how his life would be different with better guidance especially from someone who's been there

I would love to see how his life would be different with better guidance especially from someone who's been there.
Exactly genius! We already have the suggestion from our contributor, make a perfect creative writing from His Excellency here in the next chapter update, and every readers out here would definitely going to like it and avoided the untimely death of Michael Jackson IOTL. ITTL, he'll get help, guidance, and advice from Elvis Presley and The Beatles; who've been there in his situation before, and have a successful career in music, improved his lifestyle choices, and maybe have his own family earlier. Anyone geniuses here who could be the perfect match for Michael Jackson? If you're going to asked me, how about Brooke Shields? You decide geniuses, we're off to a start to improve his life for the best ITTL!

Last edited: