Black Canadian realities lived up to the Myths

I grew up in southern Ontario, where we constantly heard myths about what made being Canadian so great. We weren't Americans! We didn't do silly things throw tea into harbours or fight for our freedom, and we didn't have slavery or racism, daggummit! In fact, things were so great here that thousands of African-Americans escaped, with the help of magical "The Good One" White Folks, over the border into the obviously better land of racial and societal harmony where our hockey teams never lose and the maple syrup never runs dry.

The proof was all around us! There were monuments and museums to black Canadian history everywhere in the rural south (of Ontario). Many of them were even the former homes of the escaped.

However, if you enter one of these museums, as I often did, and actually listened to what they told you...the myth begins to fall apart.

Yes, Ontario ended slavery early even by British standards. But among the earliest settlers were enslaved persons, Africans and indigenous. Yes, many African-Americans made there way north, lured by promises of freedom and equality. But a significant number returned when the welcome was less warm than expected. Local schools were free to segregate by law in virtually any community with a substantial community of colour. Letters from the time, and also from the end of segregation, indicate that although black Ontarians were outraged and appalled at the obviously unequal facilities they were provided, they were also fearful of being integrated as violent intimidation always loomed.

And another thing...if Canada was so good, where were all the black people? There were plenty in the USA, plenty in the West Indies. So if Canada was such a good place for African-Americans to move to, why didn't they?

We can't answer all these questions here, but basically this thread is to explore a topic beginning with the black Loyalists....

The black Loyalists were 3,000 people named by the British government as deserving consideration of compensation due to services during the ARW. Spoiler alert, they weren't given the same amount or quality of land or provisions, when they got it at all, and in 1792, 40% of them left Nova Scotia for Sierra Leone, tired of waiting for land that seemed it would never come.

So what would things be like if the rhetoric of the time lived up to the reality? What if the Black Loyalists were indeed found suitable land, (perhaps in southern Ontario), what if the underground railroad was larger and more successful, what if Ontario had been slightly more welcoming...what if Canada had a substantial black or Afro-Canadian population from its founding?

What are the prospects for a Black Loyalist colony in BNA post ARW?

Sources: The Black Population of Canada West on the Eve of the American Civil War: A Reassessment Based on the Manuscript Census of 1861 MICHAEL WAYNE
Highly recommended, short essay.

Last edited:
Heh. Yeah. I agree with you entirely.

Reading about Africville in NS was a real eye opener for me.

It's probably too much to wish for, human beings being the infallible creatures we are. But, yeah, it sure would have been nice.
Did you know that universities had quotas limiting 'non-anglo-saxon' students through to WWII (I believe). Grandma got into Med school (Manitoba) because Icelanders were considered proper sorts, not like Ukrainians or Jews or, horror, Natives.... I have no idea how Blacks were treated because there were so few of them.

Weren’t a large amount of the settlers/migrants to Nova Scotia after the Revolution abd the War of 1812 later resettled to Freetown/Sierra Leone where they helped form the Creole people there? Preventing the development of the early abolitionist Back-to-Africa theory may help the Black population in parts of Canada to be more sizeable and robust.

Weren’t a large amount of the settlers/migrants to Nova Scotia after the Revolution abd the War of 1812 later resettled to Freetown/Sierra Leone where they helped form the Creole people there? Preventing the development of the early abolitionist Back-to-Africa theory may help the Black population in parts of Canada to be more sizeable and robust.
Absolutely! This is my step #1: 1,200 of the 3,000 black loyalists, fed up with their lot in Nova Scotia, left for Sierra Leone.

Let's say that in this TL they are encouraged to settle in southwestern Ontario instead of Sierra Leone. To do this, all you'd really need is for them to be awarded land.

@Dathi THorfinnsson I agree unfortunately that "equal treatment" was never likely for the black Loyalists. What's the closest we could've got, do you think? Like maybe on paper the same quantity of land, but in obviously inferior locations?

Heh. Yeah. I agree with you entirely.

Reading about Africville in NS was a real eye opener for me.

It's probably too much to wish for, human beings being the infallible creatures we are. But, yeah, it sure would have been nice.
Did you know that universities had quotas limiting 'non-anglo-saxon' students through to WWII (I believe). Grandma got into Med school (Manitoba) because Icelanders were considered proper sorts, not like Ukrainians or Jews or, horror, Natives.... I have no idea how Blacks were treated because there were so few of them.
Hmmm interesting point. A Canadian HBCU?

Ok I've got something. I had come across this before but forgot about it. Thank goodness for AH.com!

Simcoe was the first Lt-Governor of Ontario Upper Canada.

He had commanded the Queen's Rangers, an effective Loyalist brigade during the ARW. After the war, when Simcoe returned to England, the Rangers went to Nova Scotia with the other Loyalists.

When he was made Lt-Governor of Upper Canada in 1791, he reformed the Queen's Rangers and brought them from Nova Scotia to Upper Canada, where they largely built the new colonial capital (York), served as the colonial defense and labour force.

There were a few black members of this brigade, notably there trumpeter. And it was Simcoe who took such a decided stance against slavery that the Act Against Slavery was signed in the second legislative session in Upper Canadian history.

So here's our neat tidbit:

"In 1777, Simcoe sought to form a Loyalist regiment of free blacks from Boston but instead was offered the command of the Queen's Rangers formed on Staten Island on 15 October 1777. It was a well-trained light infantry unit comprising 11 companies of 30 men, 1 grenadier, and 1 hussar, and the rest light infantry. The Queen's Rangers saw extensive action during the Philadelphia campaign, including a successful surprise attack (planned and executed by Simcoe) at the Battle of Crooked Billet."

Apparently our boy Simcoe had specifically requested command of a regiment of free blacks! So what if he was given command of them as well? Instead of the Queen's Rangers?

Assuming this all comes to pass, I could easily see this Black Canadian enclave (Guineatown?) becoming a natural terminus for the Underground Railroad. I image that it will grow in population over the decades with refugees, which could lead to a fairly sizeable Black population in Upper Canada by the mid 1800s. I imagine you'd see a tenement farmer/sharecropper type economy there with land-owning descendants of Black Loyalists and tenant Freemen, particularly if no law bars Blacks from acquiring more land (some will fail and sell, some will succeed and grow). Not sure how that would affect Canadian culture and politics and US-British relations (particularly if the South starts to feel that the Brits are "stealing our Negroes"), but it will definitely be interesting, possibly in the Chinese sense of the word.