Bisringkhal-An Assam Timeline

Chapter 9: Borbarua Challenged

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 9: Borbarua Challenged​

December 1674

Debera took his seat in the council chamber and waited. The King was usually late to these meetings, and normally Debera would take advantage of that to have the scribes draft out orders that he could then place before the man for his seal. That was how he’d gotten an increase on fish duties done. The King was surprisingly easy to trick if one knew what needed to be done.

This time however, he dared not stretch his power. The Borpatragohain was sat opposite him. The man’s belly was straining against his shirt, and the man was eyeing him beadily. But that was not the only reason Debera kept himself in check.

His nephew had come to him late last night and told him that the King and Queen had gone to dine with Kalia Gohain. Something that was momentous in of itself given how the Gohain viewed the King, but with added seriousness given that they had apparently discussed politics and government.

Why the King had felt the need to do so, Debera did not know. But he was concerned that it was a further sign that his influence over the King was waning. He would need to keep an eye on Kalia Gohain in the future. He could not allow that boy to gain influence.

The guards outside banged their staffs and announced loudly. “The Dragon of the Ahoms, the fire of the Gods, His Majesty King Suklamphaa!”

Debera and the Borpatragohain rose, as the King entered, Debera felt his eyes widen slightly as he saw who walked behind the King. Dressed in a light blue shirt and white trousers-the colour of the Royal Family-was Kalia Gohain. What did this mean?

Debera managed to hide his surprise long enough to bow before the King and take his seat at a gesture from the man. But the moment he sat down, his mind was whirring with all sorts of possibilities.

Had the King finally decided to name an heir, if so, why would he choose Kalia Gohain, the son of the man he had murdered? Or was there some other reason for why the boy was here?

The King cleared his throat and spoke. “I have brought Kalia here today so that he may present his views on a few issues that he believes are critical for the governance of this Kingdom.”

There was a pause, then King turned to his nephew and commanded. “Speak.”

Debera turned his full attention to Kalia Gohain. The Gohain had the dark hair and somewhat narrow eyes that were common of the Royal Family, but his skin was darker than that of the King’s, perhaps as a result of who his mother had been.

Debera could still hear her screams if he thought for long enough. He pushed the thought away as the boy started speaking.

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” The boy took a breath, then continued. “I believe that the greatest issue facing the Kingdom at present is the presence in great number of soldiers in Kamrup.”

Debera frowned, what was the boy getting at?

“Their presence was necessary in the immediate aftermath of Saraighat, that we can all agree on, however, it has been three years since that great battle. In the meantime, Delhi has shown no desire to invade to recapture the territory. Indeed, they are busy dealing with more and more emerging threats.”

Debera wondered if that was a nod toward the rise of some chieftain in the Deccan who had the name of one of the Gods as his title.

The boy continued. “The continued presence of the army in Kamrup has stymied trade. It has caused confusion and consternation within the merchants and the fish mongers. They are worried that there will be an immediate war, and this constant stress is making them less eager to continue to bring business in from the West.”

Debera wanted to snort, had they truly been reduced to this lowly level where the concerns of fish mongers was of paramount importance to the Kingdom?

The boy continued. “This has as I am sure the great councillors present here know, meant a reduction in general trade, as the west was our greatest trading partner before the war and the current situation. As such less money is entering into the hands of the merchants reducing their ability to spend money within the Kingdom, reducing the Kingdom’s treasury.”

How did the boy know about the treasury? Debera wondered. As the King’s chief minister, Debera was responsible for managing the treasury, and truth be told, the money coming in was higher than it had been before Saraighat. This was largely thanks to deals that Debera had negotiated with bordering tribes, but he pocketed that money for himself.

“The fish mongers themselves have told me that the quality of fish has gone down since the army in Kamrup usually takes all the best quality ones. Leading to them having to sell lesser goods in the markets. Which is generating unhappiness with the populace.” The boy said.

Debera snorted. If they were truly worrying about that, then they had no concerns.

The boy finished off. “Furthermore, the continued presence of the army in Kamrup is causing the people to grow concerned that the government and His Majesty have some alternative motive. That the threat of Delhi is just a mirage. This is not conducive to good government.”

There was a brief pause as they all digested what the boy had said. Debera was trying hard to contain his anger. How dare this boy, this insolent boy question what he was doing!

“Debera, how do you respond?” The King asked.

Debera blinked; the King was looking right at him. He took a moment to compose his thoughts and then answered. “I believe His Highness is coming from a place of goodness. His Highness wishes to address an issue he has found and that is to be commended.” Even if he knows nothing about what he talks.

“However, I believe that His Highness is still naïve to the ways of government and thus perhaps it is our duty as Your Majesty’s ministers to show him why he is naïve.”

Debera glanced at the Gohain, expecting to see some sort of anger on the boy’s face, instead, he was greeted with blankness. That wasn’t right.

“Go on.” The King commanded.

“The army in Kamrup is there to ensure that Delhi does not feel compelled to invade. That they have not done so in the three years since Saraighat is a sign that the strategy is working. If we removed the army entirely, then Delhi would most definitely try something. They do need to avenge the insult we dealt them after all.”

Something shifted in the boy’s expression, what it was Debera did not know, but he continued on. “If this means that trade is suffering then so be it. It is better that trade suffer now than we lose it completely if Delhi takes Kamrup, for if they take Kamrup they will continue onward as they did before. Then we shall be slaves to them.” The thought of being a slave to Delhi was horrible.

“Now as for the general state of the people, if they are uncertain or nervous then perhaps there are ways we can calm them that do not require withdrawing the complete army.” What those ideas were, Debera had not a clue and he didn’t really care.

The King looked at him as if he expected Debera to say more, but Debera was done. He thought the matter closed. When the King looked at the boy, it was clear that it was not done.

The boy spoke then, and though his tone seemed even, Debera could hear the anger within it. “You sound as though you have never spoken to a merchant or a fish monger. Or to someone not on your pay, Borbarua.”

Debera’s eyes narrowed, what was the boy implying?

“I have spoken to many who are not within your circle. The everyday person, the person who ensures this Kingdom remains alive. And they are scared. We ignore their concerns at our peril.”

“So, what do you propose?” Debera asked, not bothering to keep a sneer from his tone.

“I propose that we reduce the number of men serving in the army in Kamrup. We must return to a system where 1 in 4 paiks serve in the army, not three in four as is currently happening.” The boy replied.

“Why?” Debera asked.

The boy looked at him as if he had just asked him if there was a God. “What do you mean why? This current system is not sustainable. We cannot have three out of four paiks away from their land, away from their community. The system was not designed for such exaction. Even during the last war, there were only ever two out four away at any one time.”

Debera snorted. “So, if we go for what you are suggesting, we have a greatly reduced army in Kamrup, we have all these men returning to the land, what then? How will you prevent Delhi from invading?”

He expected the boy to say he had no solution, because that was what this argument suggested to him. But no, the boy did have a solution.

“Alliances. Manipur, Tripura, Jaintia, even Koch Bihar. These are all Kingdoms that we can gather together under our banner to use against Delhi.” The boy answered.

“You think that will be enough to dissuade Delhi?” Debera asked wondering if the boy was stupid or naïve.

“Yes. Koch Bihar owes nominal fealty to Delhi, but their Kingdom is filled with dense forests, it would be a slaughter ground for Delhi. The same with Tripura and Jaintia. We can show that an attack on one is an attack on all.” The boy replied.

Debera was about to say something, but before he could, the Borpatragohain spoke. “I think what His Highness says is correct. We cannot keep an army of such size in Kamrup indefinitely. We must ensure we are not just focusing on one small area. Furthermore, Your Majesty’s councils would benefit from the return of the Borgohain and the Burhagohain.”

“What do you mean by that?” Debera snarled.

His hand moving toward the dagger he kept concealed on his person.

The Borpatragohain looked right at him then. “Exactly what I said.”

“Is that a question of my ability.” Debera asked, his hand moving to pull out the dagger.

“Yes.” The Borpatragohain said.

Debera was just about to draw out the dagger when the King spoke, his voice thunderous. “Enough!”

Debera hurriedly shoved the dagger back into its sheathe. The King spoke once more. “I want letters sent to Kamrup. It is time the Council of Five Ministers met once more.”

I will not allow that. Debera thought to himself, aloud however, he said. “I shall send a swift rider to ensure that it is done, Sire.”

“Good.” The King said.

No rider will go, and if you agree to this plan, then I will remove you from the throne. My power cannot be challenged like this.

It was time for him to find another to replace the King, and it would not be anyone from his branch of the Royal Family.

Chapter 10: Darrang

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 10: Darrang​

December 1674

Minati took a breath. She never liked looking through the account books, they were a warren of words and numbers, and depending on when an entry had been written, the writing was almost impossible to decipher. But it was something that needed to be done. She had a far better head for numbers and finance than her husband, indeed better than almost anyone in the Royal Household and so, she needed to make sure everything was correct.

Especially when they were preparing for a visit from one of her husband’s most important vassals, the Raja of Darrang. Initially, Suklamphaa had simply wanted to send Darrang off to Koch Bihar and have him negotiate with the man there. But Minati had managed to convince him that sending him off without warning or a plan would be terrible.

After all, Darrang and Bihar hated one another. A hatred that went back a century when the larger Kamata Kingdom had been divided. Suklamphaa had conceded the point to her and so Darrang was coming to the capital for a feast.

Minati looked through the book before her and made a note of the expenses for the last visit they’d had from Darrang. The man had cost them some 150,000 Ahom Gold Coins, and that had seen to his food-buffalo, fish, chicken and more- as well as his wine and beer. Plus, the gifts.

That had been before Saraighat though and the current situation. Now, they’d likely need to spend less. She glanced at the second book she had open. That told her how much money there was in the treasury.

She made a note on a third book-she said book, really it was a collection of Buranjis, not of the historical sort, but others, a collection that had started with her husband’s ancestor Sudangphaa. They were loose sheets of paper that were held together through clips and other assortments.

On this third book, she wrote down the figure present in the Treasury. 500,000 Ahom Gold, 400,000 Ahom Silver.

She frowned, something about that didn’t seem right. Surely the figures should be higher. Especially with these trade agreements the Borbarua had supposedly made. But then, she supposed the issues with Kamrup that Kalia had put before them all were the reason.

She made a note under these two figures. 130,000 Ahom Gold. That should be sufficient for the Raja this time. An extra 20,000 for him to ensure some of the ministers in Koch Bihar had their way and made things easier for an alliance.

That done, Minati turned her attention to another matter. Her eyes still on the second book with the figures from the Treasury. She would need to keep some money aside for when Kalia and his brothers went away on their diplomatic missions.

The thought made her smile, as she remembered the conversation, she and Suklamphaa had had yesterday after his return from the council meeting.

“You were right.” Suklamphaa said, giving her a kiss on the top of the head.

Minati smiled. “About what?”

“Kalia.” Suklamphaa replied, taking a seat on the bed. “He made a good show in the council meeting today.”

Minati looked at her husband. “He did?” She had not doubted that Kalia would, the interactions she had had with him had shown her that he had a good head on his shoulders.

“He did.” Suklamphaa replied. “He argued his view convincingly. He had the Borpatragohain agreeing with him. And you know how difficult it is to get that man to agree to anything!”

Minati chuckled. The Borpatragohain was notoriously stubborn. “And what did the Borbarua have to say?” That would surely be the key to all of this.

“He disagreed, he tried to belittle what Kalia said. But Kalia held his own.” Suklamphaa said.

Minati was impressed, the Borbarua was not a man who conceded a point easily. “So, he agreed then?” She asked.

Suklamphaa exhaled and in that moment, Minati knew that the Borbarua had not. “Not exactly, there looked like there would be a fight between the two, so I got involved. I instructed the Borbarua to send a letter to the Burhagohain, the Borgohain and the Borphukan. I want the Council of Five to meet.”

Minati raised her eyebrow at that. The Council of Five was formed of the five chief ministers of the crown and was the only council that could decide upon the succession of the throne if the King did not have a clear heir. They had met in the aftermath of Suklamphaa’s coup and confirmed him as King after he’d removed the elements that disagreed. But he had so far tried to avoid calling them.

“Are you going to confirm Kalia as heir?” She asked, something in her turning at the thought. She was both happy and sad.

Suklamphaa got off the bed and walked to her, taking her hand in his. “Only until we have a son. We must remove the uncertainty over the succession. You yourself had said this before.”

Minati nodded; she had said that. “I know, I just wanted to know.” She forced down the sadness that had emerged then. Suklamphaa was right, they needed to remove doubt and they needed to clip the influence of Debera.

“Do I have your support?” Suklamphaa asked softly.

Minati took a deep breath. “Yes. Kalia is a good man, he will make a good heir.” She was sure of that. She had seen how he had interacted with her husband and how he had interacted with the people on their visits to the city. He would win the people over.

Suklamphaa smiled and kissed her.

The door banged open, taking Minati from her thoughts. She turned around and saw Suklamphaa stagger in, clutching his head.

Is he drunk? She wondered before dispelling that thought. Suklamphaa had gone out for a ride after their lunch, and he never drank when he went out for a ride. And he’d only had water at lunch.

She watched as he staggered to the bed and fell on top of it, groaning softly.

“What’s wrong?” Minati asked getting up.

“My head is on fire as is my stomach.” Suklamphaa said. “I threw up before I got back to the palace.”

Alarmed by this Minati moved to the bed, Suklamphaa had fallen onto his back on the bed. That allowed her to press her hand to his forehead, she immediately pulled back. He truly was on fire!

“Roshini!” She called out. There were footsteps followed by a high-pitched voice.

“Your Majesty?”

Without turning from her husband, Minati said. “Get the Master of the Household and the Doctor, immediately!”

“Yes, Your Majesty.” She heard Roshini hurry away.

“When did this start?” Minati asked her husband.

“I felt something when I had that second drink of water, but it went away for a time, but then came back with ferocity when we stopped for refreshment.” Suklamphaa said.

“Who was it who gave you the refreshment?” Minati asked.

“I can’t remember his name. All I know is that Debera recommended him.” Suklamphaa replied.

That got Minati on edge.

Before she could say anything more, she heard two voices greet her. She turned and saw the Master of the Household, an old overweight man, and the Royal Doctor, a thin man, standing before her.

She beckoned the Doctor forward. “His Majesty has a severe headache; his skin feels like fire.” She stepped to one side and allowed the doctor to examine her husband. She moved to the Master of the Household and asked.

“Who was it that served the King during his ride today?”

The Master of the Household took a moment, his brow furrowed, and then he said. “Someone called Bourton. The Borbarua recommended him for service.”

“Find him.” Minati commanded.

The Master of the Household bowed and hurried out.

Minati turned back to see the doctor turn to look at her. “And?” She asked.

“Your Majesty I am not quite sure what has caused the high temperature. Unless I know what exactly was given to His Majesty, we may never know.”

“I was told it was water!” Suklamphaa said weakly from the bed.

The doctor looked at her and whispered. “No water, not even the dirtiest of water would cause such a thing, Majesty.”

Minati nodded and asked. “What can we do to ensure His Majesty gets better?”

The doctor sighed. “Unless we know what he was given, I cannot give a good enough answer.”

Minati nodded, internally she was screaming. Had the Borbarua decided to poison her husband? If so, why? What did he hope to gain?

Just as she was about to broach that topic with her husband, the Master of the Household arrived, he was panting.

“Well?” Minati asked, looking him up and down, and seeing him sweating.

“He has disappeared, Your Majesty.”

“What?!”

“He came back with the riding party, and nobody has seen him since.”

“He needs to be found, now!”

Chapter 11: Illness

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 11: Illness​

December 1674

Suklamphaa knew not where he was or how he had gotten there, all he knew was that something was not right.

The air was wrong, it stank of decay and the ground felt like it was sinking. Indeed, the ground was preventing him from moving. It was terrifying. He tried to move his feet but couldn’t.

He looked around, the place did not look familiar whatsoever.

He groaned. How had he gotten here, and how could he get out?

“You won’t be able to.” Said a voice that he recognised. A voice he hadn’t heard in years.

He turned and found himself looking at his brother. The brother he had deposed.

“What are you doing here?” He demanded.

Sunyatphaa, his face marked with scars, his eyes bloodshot, snorted. “I have come to remind you.”

“Remind me?” Suklamphaa asked. “Remind me of what?”

Sunyatphaa stopped right in front of him, Suklamphaa could see the marks from where the poison had done its work. His brother’s neck was covered with sores and other such things.

“Remind you of what you promised.”

Suklamphaa frowned. What had he promised his brother? Nothing as far as he could remember. Not before he had killed him anyway.

“From when we were children.” Sunyatphaa supplied.

Suklamphaa was about to say that he had no idea what his brother was talking about when the memory hit him.

They must have been around six and five, on their father’s property in Chairing, when Suklamphaa had promised Sunyatphaa that he would always be there for him. Always be prepared to fight for him. Something that had mattered a lot when they were children, because of how their eldest brother bullied Sunyatphaa.

“You broke your promise.” Sunyatphaa said, his eyes accusing.

Suklamphaa felt something in his gut then. Something he had not felt for many a year. Remorse and guilt. “You broke your promise first.” He insisted.

Sunyatphaa had promised that the priest he had made his chief minister would be dismissed. That the man had no influence beyond what Sunyatphaa gave him. That had proven to be a lie.

His brother sighed. “I apologised for that long before you broke your promise.”

“You forced my hand!” Suklamphaa protested. His brother had forced his hand, the man had nearly dragged the entire kingdom into disrepute and that was something Suklamphaa could not allow.

“You did not need to take the throne.” Sunyatphaa said. “You did not have to kill me.”

“I did!” Suklamphaa insisted. “It was you or me!” That was how he had seen it, and how he had explained it away.

“And my wife?” Sunyatphaa asked. “Why did she have to die?”

“She…” Suklamphaa trailed off then. He did not know what to say to that. His brother’s wife had not had to die. But Debera had killed her and now Suklamphaa had to live with the consequences.

They weighed on him every day.

“And what of Kalia?” A new voice asked.

Suklamphaa looked passed his brother and saw their eldest brother, Supangmung striding toward them. Suklamphaa saw that their brother still towered over the both of them, his shoulders were broad, his arms muscular. And as always there was a look of superiority in his gaze.

Suklamphaa felt like a child again. He pushed that thought aside, he was the King. Not these two.

“What of Kalia?” Suklamphaa demanded. The boy was smart, and he would make a good heir, but he would not be lectured about him by Supangmung, a man who had refused to ever marry.

“You denied him his right.” Supangmung, in a tone that caused Suklamphaa to shiver.

“The Council of Ministers confirmed me as the King!” Suklamphaa said.

“After you had your henchman kill those who opposed you.” Supangmung replied.

“I did not order him to do that!” Suklamphaa replied angrily. He had not asked Debera to do it, implied that it would be beneficial? Yes. But ordered him to? Never.

Supangmung snorted in that dismissive way of his. “He did what he knew would earn him your favour. And now look what has happened. He has become the ruler and you a mere puppet.”

“I am nobody’s puppet!” Suklamphaa retorted, though he knew that that was not true.

It seemed Supangmung knew that that was not true as well, for he said. “Do you even know what he does in your name?”

Suklamphaa didn’t have an answer to that. He exhaled.

“You have become that which our father told us never to be.” Supangmung said. “You have become a puppet, and you don’t even know how to come out of it.”

“What do you suggest I do then?” Suklamphaa demanded.

“Do what you know you should have done from the beginning.” Supangmung replied.

“Give the throne to Kalia?” Suklamphaa asked.

“Yes.” Supangmung said. “We all know that Minati will not have anymore children. It is just a polite fiction that you convince yourselves of.”

Suklamphaa wanted to punch his brother, and he would have done if he had not thought that he would fall over trying to get to the man. “Minati will have a son!”

Supangmung snorted. “Blind foolishness is not a good look on you, brother. We both know that she will not. She cannot, not with your issues.”

Suklamphaa snarled. His issues, he was not the one with issues. Supangmung was however. Still he felt unable to say anything.

“Even if I give the throne to Kalia, Debera is still there. How can I do anything without endangering Kalia?” Suklamphaa demanded. He was sure that for Kalia to be secure, Debera had to die.

“You know what you have to do.” Sunyatphaa said then.

Suklamphaa looked at his brother and was about to ask what he meant, when something changed. His body gave way and he found himself hurtling toward the ground. The ground that was not coming to meet him.

Until at the last it did.

Suklamphaa opened his eyes, he coughed then he turned his head slightly and found Minati. She was awake and was looking at him.

“Summon the Borpatragohain.” He commanded. He knew what to do, and he had to do it quickly. Everything depended on that.

Chapter 12: Murder

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 12: Murder​

December 1674

“The Borpatragohain is approaching, Lord.” One of his servants said.

Debera acknowledged the man’s words with a grunt. His mind was focusing on what he would say and what he would do.

He had suspected this moment might come for some time and as such he had been preparing. What had pushed Debera into ensuring that everything was completed quickly was the council meeting where the King had decided to recall the Council of Five.

That could only mean one thing. The King had decided to name an heir. And he had not consulted Debera. That was not something Debera could allow. He could not allow an heir to be named that he did not have influence over.

Such a thing would be a death sentence. He had worked far too hard over the past two years to get to where he was to lose it all to some weakling.

He had laid the groundwork by having his man Bourton slip something into the King’s drink during the hunt. He’d had Bourton killed shortly afterward so that nothing could be traced back to him.

The King had started to decline rapidly since then, and Debera had started casting around for someone he could name as the man’s successor. He had settled on someone, but he had to make sure that he brought the man to the capital quickly, or at least before the King had completely slipped from the mortal coil.

That meant he had at least another two or three weeks. Maybe less.

“The Borpatragohain.” His guards said announcing the man. The doors opened and, in the man, walked. Debera rose and said.

“Lord Borpatragohain.”

The man nodded and took his hand in the warrior embrace. “Lord Borbarua.”

They both sat down, the Borpatragohain facing Debera. Debera knew why the man had come. He knew what purpose had brought him to Debera’s manor.

His spies had told him that the King wanted him dead, and that he wanted the Borpatragohain to do it. Debera had had his men prepare. They would strike when he gave the signal. The guards outside knew to listen to a certain word before they struck.

What Debera needed to do now was keep the man talking and preoccupied so that he didn’t suspect that Debera knew why he was here. That was something Debera felt he could do easily.

“I must offer my congratulations to you.” Debera said, choosing a topic he knew would get the man’s chest up.

“Lord?” The Borpatragohain asked.

“On the betrothal of your daughter to Kamjang Gohain.” Debera supplied. Kamjang belonged to a branch of the Royal Family that had lands in Samaguria, a small enclave near the capital and were more merchants than Princes.

Kamjang was smart, but not smart enough to realise what he was getting himself in for.

“Thank you, it will be a good marriage, my daughter and Kamjang Gohain get on very well.” The Borpatragohain said with obvious pride.

“That is very good.” Debera replied. “And of course, with Kamjang Gohain’s lands being very close to the capital you will be able to see your daughter every day if you so wish.”

If he had felt any sympathy for the Borpatragohain he would have felt sad for the man. For after today he would never see his daughter again. But Debera had removed any such emotion from his being long ago. Now all he felt was a cold willingness to do what needed to be done.

“And what of you, my lord?” The Borpatragohain asked. “Have you any plans for your sons?”

Oh, I have many, but they are not going to be any that you will ever live to see.

Debera pushed that thought to one side and instead said. “There are a few things being considered. Some of which may progress through soon.”

The Borpatragohain nodded understandingly, and Debera let a tentative silence settle over them for some time.

He knew what needed to be done, he just needed to get to the place naturally.

The Borpatragohain broke the silence and got right to the point. “Have you seen His Majesty recently?”

“I saw him two days ago, when he asked me what news there was about the Council meeting.” Debera said, it was half true, the King had not been in any fit state to talk, and so Debera had told the Queen, who had glared at him the whole time.

“And?” The Borpatragohain asked.

“The letters have been sent, but there has been no response as of yet.” Debera lied. No letters had been sent.

“Will you be sending more?” The Borpatragohain asked.

“Yes.” Debera lied.

“Good.” The man answered.

“What do you make of the King’s decision?” Debera asked, deciding to get to the point.

“To call the Council?” The man asked.

“Yes.” Debera replied.

“I think it is a smart decision, especially now with His Majesty’s health having declined so suddenly. The succession must be resolved.” The Borpatragohain said.

“And who would you choose as the heir?” Debera asked, his heart beating quicker now as the moment came.

“Kalia Gohain.” The Borpatragohain said instantly.

“Why?” Debera asked.

“He has some good ideas and he is a man who knows what he wants. We need that now.”

“You don’t think his ideas are naïve?” Debera asked.

“I do not, I think they are sensible, they have been well thought through and they are ideas that we should have implemented immediately after Saraighat.” The Borpatragohain said.

“Hm.” Debera replied. The Borpatragohain had just shown how naïve he was with that comment. A shame.

“You disagree?” The Borpatragohain asked.

“I do.” Debera said.

The man looked as if he was about ask why but then seemed to change his mind. After a brief pause, he asked. “Who would you have as the heir?”

“Jambor Gohain.” Debera lied. He wanted the Borpatragohain’s soon to be son in law as the new heir, but he would not say that. Not now.

“Who?” The Borpatragohain asked.

“He is the head of the Tungkhungia branch of the family.” Debera explained.

“And why would you want him as the heir? I had not even heard of him, and I do not think the King or the Council has either.” The Borpatragohain said.

“That is exactly why.” Debera replied, a smile on his face.

“I don’t understand.” The Borpatragohain replied.

“Choose an heir who no one has heard of, and he will be indebted to you forever once he ascends the throne. He will do exactly what it is you want him to do.” Debera said.

“But does that not undermine the whole point of monarchy? We might as well return to a regency as was the case before Sudangphaa became King.” The Borpatragohain said.

“A regency causes its own issues.” Debera countered. “But a puppet King gives you the air of legitimacy without needing to actually listen to their foolish whims.”

He was there now. The point of no return, the Borpatragohain’s face had an expression of absolute disgust on it.

“That is treason.” The Borpatragohain snarled, his hand moving to something on his person.

Debera struck first, raising his voice so his men would know now was the time to strike, he said. “It is not treason to look out for the good of the Kingdom. What is treason is blindly following something some Prince says just because he is a Prince.”

The Borpatragohain had pulled out a knife now, but Debera could hear his men being killed outside. He smiled.

“I wondered when this would happen.” Debera said looking right at the Borpatragohain.

“You have gone too far.” The man said. “You cannot do whatever you want.”

“Why not?” Debera asked. “The King will doom us all if Kalia Gohain becomes the heir. That is why I had to have him poisoned.”

The Borpatragohain stood up then, his chair creaking against the floorboards as he did so. Debera remained seated and said. “You are not going to get out of this.”

The Borpatragohain frowned. “What do you mean?”

Debera pointed at the door. “Listen.”

The screams and the yells came in clearer now, the Borpatragohain’s eyes widened.

Debera stood up and cleared his throat. The door opened, and two of his men walked in, one of them hit the Borpatragohain’s arm, the man’s dagger clattered to the floor. They then held the man. Debera pushed his chair back and walked around the table, drawing his dagger out of its sheathe.

He stopped in front of the Borpatragohain, unfortunately the man was not trying to resist. Debera wished he would have, that would have made this more fun. Still, he could finally do what he had wanted to do for some time. He pressed the dagger against the man’s left eye.

“You will not be missed.”

He pulled the dagger back and then buried it into the man’s left eye. The Borpatragohain screamed.

Debera pulled the dagger back and looked at the blood, a thrill running through him.

He pressed it to the man’s right eye.

“This is all for the good.” Debera said.

He then plunged the dagger into the man’s right eye.

He pulled the dagger out and looked at the blood, smiling. That was more like it.

Debera looked at the Borpatragohain and then at the two men holding him. “Throw him into the ditch and be done with it.” The two men nodded and guided the Borpatragohain out of the room. Debera watched them go then he licked the blade. Savouring the salty taste.

Chapter 13: Time Stands Still

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 13: Time Stands Still​

December 1674

Minati watched as Suklamphaa spoke to the chief Brahmin and chief Ahom Priest. She knew that he was weak and that the words he was saying were draining what little energy he had left. She wanted to ask him to stop, for him to preserve his energy. But she also knew that this was important to him, so, she kept her silence.

The decline in her husband’s health had been swift. One moment he had been strong and the next he had been unable to get out of bed. The doctor had been unable to do anything. None of the remedies that the doctor had tried had worked. Indeed, it seemed as if they had only made things worse.

That had been the worst part of all of this. Watching her husband suffer and decline and being unable to help. By God how she had wanted to help. Yet she had been unable to and it was eating away at her.

There was one thing she was convinced of though. Debera Borbarua, that snake, was responsible for this. He was the one who had employed that servant, and he was the one who had seemed to become more distant as time had progressed. That he hadn’t visited the King in some time was another nail against him.

She would have him killed the moment she could. Minati swore that vow then and there. She would have Debera Borbarua killed, no matter what it cost her. She would make him pay for what he had done.

“May Lord Hari bless you, Your Majesty. It will be done.” The Chief Brahmin said, folding his hands together before stepping back. The Chief Ahom Priest remained conversing with her husband.

Minati found her memories turning to the time she and Suklamphaa had spent together. The years they had had together. The many ups and downs they had had.

When they had first married, they had been young. Sutmala was the King then, and everything had seemed peaceful. They had thought they had all the time in the world. After all, Sutmala was a young, or relatively young man, and there were two others before Suklamphaa in the succession. They had travelled around the Kingdom, seeing the people and the places and getting a feel for everything.

Then had come the war.

Suklamphaa had done his duty and fought against Delhi, he had written to her when Sutmala had died and when the peace had been agreed. He had told her of his insecurities and concerns, and she had ridden to be with him. They had remained at Garhgaon after Supangmung had been crowned, and then returned to their small estate.

That time contained some of her happiest memories. Tending to their land, managing their estate, and having no concerns. Of course, when a new war had been launched, Suklamphaa had gone and done his duty, but he had returned home shortly afterward. Before Saraighat.

Before Supangmung had died. Before everything had gone wrong.

“May Chumpha and Kun Lung bless you, Sire. May they grant you your wish.” The Chief Ahom Priest stepped back and Suklamphaa spoke.

“Minati….” His voice sounded so hoarse, so broken.

Minati stepped forward then and knelt by the bed, taking Suklamphaa’s hand in hers.

“I am sorry that I could not stay for longer.” Suklamphaa whispered, his eyes boring into hers. His face was creased with pain.

“Nonsense, you have given me everything.” Minati said.

“I could not give you a child.” Suklamphaa said, his eyes filled with sadness.

“Not for lack of trying.” Minati said smiling. “It was not destined to be.”

That was something that pained her, but that was not something that Suklamphaa needed to deal with now.

“I have told the Brahmin and the Priest what I want done for once I am gone.” Suklamphaa said.

It pained her to hear her husband speak like this, but she knew it was necessary, so she asked. “And?”

“I wish to be buried with our ancestors in Charaideo. In a small tomb, nothing too grand. The work had already started before I ascended the throne but was paused due to events elsewhere.” Suklamphaa said. Events elsewhere referring to the whole succession issue and other such things.

Minati nodded. “It will be done.”

“I have had the Chief Brahmin write down my desire for the succession.” Suklamphaa said. “Kalia will be my heir, I have issued a command within that document commanding the Five Ministers to accept my decision. I have also instructed both the Chief Brahmin and the Chief Priest to take your lead on this should any minister refuse.”

“You mean Debera?” Minati asked. After all, she could not think that men like Atan or Lalusoka would refuse a command from their King.

“Yes.” Suklamphaa said. “I do not know where the Borpatragohain is, it should not have taken him so long to get to Debera and send him to the next world.”

Minati held her tongue, but she had started to wonder if perhaps the Borpatragohain had turned sides. Or if he had been slain.

Suklamphaa continued. “I have stipulated that the estate that was mine before ascending the throne is to be yours once I am gone. I have also stipulated that Kalia is to listen to your advice regarding a bride when the time is right.”

Minati raised an eyebrow at that. Usual custom was for the King to listen to the Five Ministers if he was unwed upon ascending the throne.

Suklamphaa smiled weakly, then winced before wheezing out. “I trust your judgement more than theirs. I always have.”

Minati laughed. “Very well.”

Suklamphaa nodded, then whispered. “We had a good time did we not?”

“We did.” Minati replied, she could feel tears coming to her eyes then.

“I wish we could go back.” Suklamphaa said. “Before the throne and all of this.”

“So do I.” Minati replied.

“Perhaps in the next life we will get what was denied us here.”

“Perhaps.” Minati agreed.

“Summon Kalia.” Suklamphaa asked.

Minati turned and said. “Kalia, the King wishes to speak with you.”

Their nephew came then and knelt next to her. Minati focused on her husband, watching his face for any sign of increased pain. She tuned out what he said to Kalia, that was not for her to hear.

She watched as various emotions flitted across her husband’s face. Humour at some joke Kalia had made and seriousness as he no doubt explained the duties he was leaving for the boy. Then relief as Kalia no doubt swore to take on the great burden of being King.

But one thought kept interrupting what should have been a somewhat peaceful time, where was the Borpatragohain? Would it really have taken this much time for him to handle the Borbarua? As the time continued to grow, she got more nervous.

Something was not right. Something truly was not right.

She was about to say something when one of the guards on the door called out. “Lorai Hazarika.”

Minati turned and saw Lorai enter. He was a short man, a Naga who had joined the Borpatragohain’s service many years ago. He staggered in covered in blood. Minati immediately got up as did Kalia.

Lorai blinked, then in an incredibly slurred voice spoke. “The Borpatragohain is dead. The Borbarua is coming here….to kill everyone.”

With that Lorai fell to the ground.

Minati looked at Kalia, her worst fears confirmed. The end was fast approaching, and they needed to act quickly to prevent a calamity.

Chapter 14: Escape

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 14: Escape​

December 1674

“Lorai Hazarika!” Was the call that came from the guards outside.

Kalia turned to see what the man would say and was shocked by what he saw. Lorai staggered in, drenched in blood, panting. Kalia got up alongside the Queen and watched as Lorai looked at them.

The man blinked; his voice was incredibly slurred when he spoke. “The Borpatragohain is dead. The Borbarua is coming here….to kill everyone.”

With the words out, Lorai fell to the ground, blood pooled around him.

Kalia looked at the Queen and saw the fear that he felt reflected in her face.

“You must leave immediately.” The Queen said.

Kalia frowned. Leave? Why would he leave? The King had named him his successor, it was his duty to stay and fight the Borbarua.

He tried to explain this to the Queen, but she shook her head.

“No, you are in more danger than ever. If Debera has been so willing to commit murder, then he is not going to be stopped by a mere formality such as you being named the King’s heir. Indeed, that might just encourage him to continue this path. Which means that you must be protected at all costs.”

The look on the Queen’s face was such that Kalia knew that trying to argue that particular point was pointless, so, instead he tried a different tack. “What of you, Your Majesty? If I am at risk, then so are you. Debera will know that you played a key role in ensuring that the King and I reconciled. He will see you as a threat. You will not be safe.”

The Queen waved a hand dismissively. “Do not worry about me, I will be able to take care of myself.”

“And my brothers?” Kalia asked. Narayan and Noban were safe, but his other brothers were at risk. Particularly Abhirath.

“I will ensure they are safe. The key issue now is ensuring that you are safe and protected and for that you need to be away from here.” The Queen said.

Kalia was about to continue his protestations when the King spoke, his voice cracked and broken. “Listen to the Queen, Kalia. The time is right for you to leave. Your safety matters more than anything else.”

As if he could sense that Kalia was about to protest, the King added. “That is an order.”

Kalia cursed silently. He could not refuse a direct order from the King. He bowed his head, then raised it and looked at the Queen. “What is the quickest way out of here?” By here he meant the King’s rooms. He knew the way out of the capital, he’d traversed it enough before. But from the King’s rooms to the stables was not a route he was familiar with.

The Queen paused for a moment, no doubt to contemplate this question, when she did answer, she gave a clear statement. “There is a trap door near the storage area between this room and the central courtyard within the palace. It is disguised as a simple panel, but if you look closely, you will see a string, pull that string, hard, and the door will open.”

Kalia nodded. He wondered when that trap door had been built, he did not remember seeing such a thing when his father had been King.

“The Chief Brahmin will accompany you.” The Queen added.

Kalia nodded, he knew that it was fruitless to protest that. The Chief Brahmin carried the documents that named Kalia as the heir of the King. He would be needed.

“You will need weapons.” The Queen said clapping her hands, two guards appeared then and the Queen looked at them both. “Hand over your swords and your pistols.” The guards complied, Kalia took the pistols, whilst the Chief Brahmin took the swords. The pistols were not overly heavy. The guards had handed over their covers for the pistols also, which made it much easier for Kalia to handle them. He placed the covers on his person and then placed the pistols within them. One on either side.

The Chief Brahmin handled the swords.

The Queen nodded approvingly. “Good, now go, and go quickly.”

Kalia bowed before the Queen, touching her feet, then moved to the foot of the King’s bed and touched his feet.

The King raised his hands but did not say anything.

Kalia took a deep breath then turned and walked toward the doors that would lead him to the space between this room and the central courtyard. The Chief Brahmin followed. He took a moment to collect his thoughts, after all, who knew when he would return.

Kalia pushed open the doors and looked left then right, then hurried out quickly. He maintained a quick walking pace, not daring to stop, he didn’t look anywhere but straight. He had to ensure that nobody got suspicious-or at least not more suspicious than they already would be.

It didn’t take long for him to see the stone with the string. He looked left and right, then bent down and pulled hard. The stone initially resisted before finally lifting up, the Chief Brahmin helped him hold the stone and move it to the side. Kalia looked down into the gap that had appeared. A flight of stairs that led into the darkness.

“May Lord Hari guide and protect us.” The Chief Brahmin said.

Kalia repeated the words, then turned and climbed down the stairs, taking them two at a time. He reached the bottom and watched as the Chief Brahmin climbed down the stairs. Briefly he wondered if they should try to close the trap door, but decided they didn’t have enough time.

Once the Brahmin was with him, Kalia turned and kept walking. The pitch black was their only companion. His heart thundered, his ears rang, but still he kept walking.

“Do you know how far we have to walk?” He asked the Brahmin.

“Not very far, Your Highness.” The man replied.

“How do you know?” Kalia asked.

“I helped oversee the construction of this passageway during the wars with Delhi two decades ago.” The man said.

Kalia nodded, but his mind was awash with questions. How had he not seen this place before, and should they have closed the trap door? He pushed those thoughts away and kept walking.

Kalia stumbled slightly, at what he imagined might have been the halfway point, his feet getting tripped up by rocks? He wasn’t sure what they were, but he managed to right himself.

“There will be a door up ahead, Your Highness, you will need to push against it.” The Brahmin said.

Kalia nodded, then remembered the man would not be able to see him. He didn’t bother speaking, he had heard the man speak, if the man wanted to repeat himself, he would. It seemed the Brahmin did not want to repeat himself, for silence descended over them once more.

Kalia found himself wondering what would happen to the King and Queen and to his brothers. Would they be kept alive, or would Debera kill them all? If he had killed the Borpatragohain then perhaps the latter option was more likely.

That made Kalia wonder where he should go. To Charaideo where his uncle Solail was, with a small army, a place that was far closer to the capital than anywhere else. Or should he go to Kamrup, where the majority of the army was, and where three of the five ministers were. Where would Debera expect him to go?

Kalia did not know.

“We have reached the door, Your Highness.” The Brahmin said.

Kalia blinked but could not see anything in the darkness.

“Are you certain?” He asked.

“Yes, Your Highness, put your hands out.” The Brahmin commanded.

Kalia did as he was bid and immediately felt something solid and firm, he moved down slightly and felt a slight groove, a symbol perhaps?

“Push.” The Brahmin commanded.

Kalia pushed and the door moved, light streamed in. Kalia’s heart started thundering again.

“It is a quick dash into the stables from here, Your Highness.” The Brahmin said.

Kalia grunted in acknowledgement. He took a breath then ran, he didn’t bother looking left or right, he just ran. Eventually he reached the stables, with their recognisable odour of horse. There were no grooms around, everything was quiet, which was unnerving but also beneficial. Kalia moved quickly, coming to the two horses they needed. One was his own and the other was someone else’s whose, he did not know, maybe Abhirath’s?

Kalia took a breath and waited. The Brahmin eventually got him. “You won’t have difficulty getting on?” Kalia asked.

The Brahmin shook his head, Kalia nodded, then led his own horse out of the stable, followed by the Brahmin and his horse. Once they were clear, they both got on their respective horses. Kalia patted his horse’s neck and then urged him on with a dig in the sides. The beast started off at a trot, and then slowly built-up speed.

Just as they got close to where the royal exit from the city was, Kalia heard shouts and the sound of a horn.

He didn’t bother turning around for the Brahmin clearly had. “It’s Debera’s men, Your Highness. We must move quickly!”

Kalia nodded and urged his horse on, the beast moved faster, with God’s Grace the Royal Gate was open-had this been planned-and Kalia and the Brahmin soared passed. The shouts dimmed, but still, they did not stop. They rode on, Kalia’s heart thundering all the while.

They did not stop until they were well within the forest, at which point Kalia brought his horse to a steady trot, the Brahmin did the same and asked him. “Where next?”

Kalia took a moment to think and then said. “We go to Kamrup, we must bring Debera down completely.”

The Brahmin nodded and fell silent as they started their journey again. Kalia did not bother turning to look back at the capital. He would return, and when he did, he would become King.

Chapter 15: Fire

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 15: Fire​

December 1674

Debera watched as the boys were pushed into centre of the courtyard. Some of them looked scared, others went silently. The latter were led by Abhirath, the boy who could have been King. Once Debera had learnt that Kalia Gohain had fled, he had gone to Abhirath’s quarters and offered him the throne.

For a moment it had seemed as though the boy might accept the offer, but then he had refused. Not only had he refused but he had spat at Debera and sworn at him. That was something that Debera could not countenance. So, the moment that he had had confirmation that the King had actually died, he had ordered the guards to round up Abhirath and his brothers.

They were to face their punishment now. Debera felt a brief thrill run through him at the thought of what was about to happen. It was something that had not been done since the days of King Sukaphaa, the very first of the dynasty. Bringing it back would be a very nice way to show he meant business.

“My Lord.” A voice said, interrupting his musings.

Not taking his eyes off of where the boys were being herded into one mass, Debera spoke. “What?”

“Her Majesty is here.” The voice said.

“Show her in.” Debera commanded.

The Queen had been his greatest enemy, she had never quite trusted him. She had done whatever she could to turn the King against him. Indeed, Debera knew for a fact that she was responsible for the nonsense that had led Kalia Gohain being named as the King’s heir.

“You will never get away with this!” The Queen’s tone was sharp and biting.

Debera turned and saw the Queen dressed in a simple Mekhela Chador, no ornamentation nothing. A simple recognition that she was now a widow.

“And why do you think that?” He asked, not even bothering with the usual flattery.

“Because Kalia is out there, and he knows what he is. He knows who he is, and he will never rest until you are destroyed.” The Queen said confidently.

Debera laughed, one that emanated from his belly. The Queen’s eyes narrowed as he continued to laugh. When he was finished, he took a breath and then answered her. “he may have the Brahmin and the Buranji naming him heir, but he does not have the proper recognition. The King did not have the five ministers recognise him. I certainly do not.”

The Queen glowered at him. “Do you think the Borgohain, the Burhagohain and the Borphukan will agree to what you have done?”

Debera shrugged. “I do not know, nor do I care. I control the capital, if they want to keep receiving money for their purpose in Kamrup they will accept whatever I tell them to.”

The Queen looked distinctly uncomfortable at that thought, which made Debera incredibly happy. “Why are you doing this?” The Queen asked then.

“Doing what?” Debera asked.

“Why did you kill my husband? Why did you kill the Borpatragohain? What did they ever do to you?” The Queen asked.

Debera looked at the Queen, truly looked at her, wondering whether this was some game or not. Would she try and use this against him? No, he decided, she could not. She would not live long enough to be able to. With that knowledge, he decided to be truthful. “They got in my way, and in the case of the King, he was going against why I had put him on the throne.”

“And why is that?” The Queen asked.

“Someone who knew where the limits of the power of the throne were. He was not his brother, Sunyatphaa, and he was not Supangmung, he knew where he stood. Or at least I thought he did. But then he started agreeing with Kalia Gohain, he started undoing things I had worked far too hard on, and that I could not allow.” Debera answered.

“So, you had him poisoned?” The Queen asked sounding deeply disgusted.

“Yes.” Debera said simply.

“And what happened to the one you gave the duty to?” The Queen asked.

“I killed him the moment he told me the deed was done.” Debera said simply. “I could not afford to let him live.”

He expected the Queen to be disgusted as she had been before, but instead she simply nodded and changed the topic of conversation.

“Why am I here? Why are my nephews here?” She asked gesturing to where the boys were. They had all been herded together into one circle.

“I offered Abhirath the throne.” Debera said. He saw no point in keeping that from the Queen.

“And he refused.” The Queen said, something like pride in her voice.

“He did.” Debera agreed.

“So, what are you doing to him and his brothers?” She asked.

“Watch.” Debera said. He took the horn from his side and placed it to his lips and blew, giving the signal to start. He heard the gate creak open, he heard a snort, or rather two, and then the thunder of hooves.

There was a bellow as the first beast tore into the group in the centre. A black bull that had been taunted and pressured for hours before this and was ready to fight. Debera heard a scream come from one of the boys, followed by a sickening crunch.

“What are you doing?!” The Queen yelled.

Debera said nothing, he just continued watching. The bull turned around and charged. This time hitting another one of the boys, seemingly with his horns for the boy screamed loudly.

Debera blew the horn once more. A second gate opened, and another bull stormed into the courtyard. This one went straight for the centre. Debera blew his horn three more times, and each time a bull was released.

The carnage was something else. Four bodies lay on the ground, puddles of blood seemed to be forming around them, though he could not see clearly, given the distance he was from them.

He blew his horn one final time and this time a huge Gaur, one that had not been allowed anywhere near people or other bulls was released. This one was one Debera had trained himself. It was raised on blood and grass, but mostly blood. It roared when it smelt the blood and charged into the fray.

Debera turned and saw the Queen staring at the scene before them with horrified eyes. He smiled. He looked passed her and nodded. A guard came up behind the Queen and held a dagger to her throat.

Debera looked at the Queen and spoke. “This is a better ending for you.” With that he turned away and heard the sound as the Queen was slain.

“Throw her body into the courtyard.” He commanded. Might as well give his gaur a Queen to feast on.

Money coming from the capital? Is he dumb? Revenge is sometimes so strong a motive that it trumps money concerns for quite a while. Taking revenge for one of their own being slain, as the murder would enrage the generals to no end; combine that with the legitimacy of a clear royal heir, a ready excuse will be had to eagerly march against the coup-held capital.

VVD0D95

Banned
Money coming from the capital? Is he dumb? Revenge is sometimes so strong a motive that it trumps money concerns for quite a while. Taking revenge for one of their own being slain, as the murder would enrage the generals to no end; combine that with the legitimacy of a clear royal heir, a ready excuse will be had to eagerly march against the coup-held capital.
Such is the mind of a mad man