"Bill's Out, Now What?" A Different Doctor Who

Prologue: Far From Being All Over
"So who is this guy?"

"You don't recognize him?"

"No, he looks....familiar, can't put my finger on it. Okay, I give up, come on, spill."

"This is William Hartnell. Carry On Sergeant? No, right, no one ever seems to remember that film. The Army Game--Ah, bit before your time. Oh, I've got it, Mary Poppins."

"....Oh! That weird admiral guy with the cannon! Yeah I remember him! Batten down the hatches and, er, all that! So what is this all about?"

"Well, you asked me early on about how they cast Doctor Who. And really, the fact of it is that this man right here is the reason the show is what it is today. See, there was a lot of conflict over who they should get to play Doctor Who himself. A couple of names were thrown around like Hugh David, Cyril Cusack, Geoffrey Bayldon but the one that Verity wanted to get was this man right here, she thought he could be both frightening and charming in that way that appeals to children. But a few months before making contact he'd gotten offered the job by a casting agent for Admiral Boom. And he took it, it offered a lot of money despite the fact that it was yet another sergeant major character."

"Really? So how'd they find a Doctor then?"

"Thanks in no small part due to a falling through the year before. A planned anthology series, a sci-fi fantasy mixture, was nixed during production as a result of being unable to find good material worthy to adapt. However, Sydney Newman had been a mentor to the young woman who had worked there, someone by the name of Irene Shubik. So during the making of Doctor Who he asked her to come aboard and assist with the planning. When Hartnell fell through she recalled the cancelled series and the star who they had actually gotten on board. He was a well known figure who had not only been born in England but currently lived here as well. And the idea of making him a hero was....well, irresistible. The idea was put about and after some negotiations, Doctor Who could at last get under way."

".....So what if Hartnell had accepted the part?"

"Who knows? It probably wouldn't have gone anywhere, right? Certainly not sixty years!"

-Discussion between Paul Cornell and his editor during a promotional tour for' Doctors Who....Might Have Been' in 2023.

GettyImages-3133697.jpg

BORIS KARLOFF IS.....THE DOCTOR.

Second chapter is on the way, probably laster tonight, mostly to do with the production behind the scenes and so on, but just to respond to the kind messages.

Not at all! I saw Karloff and my mind went there.
No problem! I just have a very limited reference pool, heh.

This will be interesting
Interesting. Looking forward to where this goes
Thank you! I will be making some changes to Season One because the idea of just doing the OTL version but with a different actor feels like cheating, to be frank?

Chapter One: Setting the Scene
"I received the call for Doctor Who not long after I returned from filming The Raven and the Terror [1] with Roger [Corman]. And to be blunt, I was not sure at the time....whether or not I should take on such a role. I knew Irene from a television show that she had been developing, so I trusted her instincts and I went to have lunch with them. It was quite a spread really, and I got a good impression of all of them. Verity described the role of Doctor Who as a gruff and mysterious figure who through his travels would change and adapt to become a kinder and gentler person. They assured me that a bulk of the action would be taken up by younger stars, and that it was a show that was aimed towards the children. My own child was twenty by that point but I could not help wondering about leaving a good impression for the children to come. [2] I have made peace with Frankenstein being my legacy, but I would like it if the children of today would remember me for being Doctor Who more. I said yes, aware that I could be making a terrible mistake."
-Interview with Boris Karloff, February 19th 1968, with a local enthusiast

"Contrary to popular opinion, Irene and I got along very well for the most part. [3] I resent, though that is a strong word, the accusation that if two women disagree with each other and have passionate arguments about where the story is going, it somehow proves that we're inherently emotional creatures. David [Whittaker] and Terry [Nation] tore strips off each other on a daily basis and you never see them getting questioned. [4] I wanted William, but I was perfectly happy with Boris and have remained so despite the best efforts of other people to say otherwise.

We'd had some issues gathering the rest of the cast together, and we were still running through ideas as we went along.. I wanted William Russell for Ian and I'd loved Jacqueline Hill for the part we'd come to write as 'female teacher'. Because we'd gone back and forth on what her name was before we finally settled on McGovern. [5] In the case of Barbara, it was a matter of Sydney and Irene preferring Phyllida for the role. Jacqueline decided to retire a year or two later, she seemed comfortable with her decision. [6] And one of the issues with William was that our dates kept being pushed back, every time we'd chat to him we'd have to give him an alternate date to start filming. We parted amicably and I was very happy with who we ended up getting.." [7]
-Verity Lambert, on the commentary of Beyond the Sun, recorded January 1st 2000.

It was the cold equations that led to Julian Glover getting the role of Ian Chesterton. Boris Karloff was seventy five when he filmed the first season and would be seventy-six by the time it actually aired (In a spooky co-incidence, on his birthday no less!), on top of which he suffered with emphysema, supposedly only having half of a lung working throughout. When auditions opened up for Chesterton, Glover went along as something of a dare to himself. "I'd not done much science fiction before," he confessed to a crowd at 2018's Millennium Con to much laughter, "And I'd wanted to see if I can push myself a little. Ian's a lot more straight lace than a lot of the ones I'd go on to do, but I still like him, the gallant old swine! And of course I got to do some historical acting too which was a nice surprise."

Phyllida Law was cast as Barbara McGovern, in what was later termed as something of a watershed moment for female characters in science fiction. [8] "I never thought of it myself, but looking back I've been rather surprised at how well Barbara was treated as a character. I was quite insistent that she'd make sure to prick the ego of Julian or Boris if they ever got particularly haughty, and the writers obliged me more than I expected. I was very much more comfortable in the historicals, but Boris was there to walk me through some of the trickier stuff in the science fiction. He was rather a dab hand at dealing with what we had to say."

Despite attempts to weaken the character, the exotic and off-kilter role of Suzanne [9] was kept as intended in the original screenplays and performed with passionate intensity by Sara Kestelman, just about to turn nineteen when she got the role, "Oh they were always trying to slip some little correction in to make her more human. I was young at the time, and I remembered being a child and watching the television's attempt to understand what children were like and shaking my head at how wrong they got it. They'd not give me much to do other than scream as something grabbed my leg so they let me improvise what I was doing between scenes, I wanted to give the impression of curiosity in all things, so I'd wander around and pick something up and look it over. I really like the episode with...."
Extracts from The Book of Who, a Companion Guide to 60 Years of Doctor Who, March 1st, 2023.

Interviewer: And what was Boris like during the filming?

Julian: A true gentleman. [The others nod and offer agreement] I mean no disrespect to anyone who did it after us, but it would have been very easy for him to dismiss it all as tripe and to give the bare minimum. He may or may not have thought the former but there was never a question of the latter. Every time he came on set he was always ready to greet us, ready to work with us, always ready to adapt to a new situation. He'd struggle a little with excessive improvisation which, well, not to name names-- [10]

Sara: My ears are burning!

Julian: --but there is someone here who can attest to that. But he never blew up at anyone, he handled it all very gracefully. And he was always willing to talk and to chat afterwards, to go down the pub and work with the crew. He brought his wife Evelyn a couple of times and she too was lovely, you could tell he was devoted to her. I'll admit that much of my own behaviour now that I've entered this particular stage of my career has been an attempt to maintain the level of dignity that he maintained throughout the production.

Phyllida: I'll agree with that. To be frank, most of us were at that time jobbing actors, with no particular claim to fame. He'd worked with so many people but he told us all these stories with such candour and lack of an ego that we all felt like we knew them ourselves. And he kept the most heroic stories to himself, that he'd raised more money than the American government to provide to victims of some disaster or another in the 1910's, before he'd even been famous! [11] He was remarkable, truly so.

Sara: And there was the fact that he was struggling through the series at all. It often fell to me, given my character, to provide some assistance on some of the worst shooting days. He was very grateful, a lot of the scenes where he seems to be lagging are actually real due to how bad his health was. They tried a lot of things of course, lowering the console down so he could pilot while in a chair [12], making the cane part of his costume, etc, etc.
Extracts from A Roundtable Conference, Doctor Who at 40, November 12th 2003.

To create an accurate First Doctor costume for all your cosplaying needs, you require:
-Dark blue Victorian frock coat, must include notch-lapels.
-A tan woollen cardigan
-Checked cotton shirt with collar buttoned down.
-Old fashioned brown tie.
-Brown suspenders.
-Black cap-toe shoes.
-A pair of eyeglasses, attached to golden chain around neck.
-A solid standard black walking stick.
-Optional but highly recommended, a black travelling cloak if going for a specific era.

TargetsTweed-MAIN2.jpg

A rare colourized photograph of Karloff in his costume, awaiting the emergence of the Great Animus. [13]
Extract from the blog 'Dress to Impress, A Fan's Guide to Cosplaying'

NEXT TIME: FINISHED BEFORE WE EVEN STARTED.​

[1] As per OTL.
[2[ Karloff was well known for dressing up as Santa for a Baltimore hospital for disabled children and infamously held up filming of the original Frankenstein quite a bit for fear of hurting the child actress whom the monster was supposed to kill (by accident, of course).
[3] The two women would gain a working relationship during the seventies, only for it to be ruined and a professional rivalry form between the two that supposedly cost Lambert's G.B.H an award that Irene was judging over. Here, though not best buddies and friends, the two are amiable enough to talk to each other and are generally more peaceful as a result of getting to know each other during the production process.
[4] A combination of events that we'll get to during the production notes lead to an even worse relationship between the two men than in OTL. No small feat.
[5] As per OTL, Wright was the settled name for the character during the later stages of the audition, to add a little flavour I have it changed back
[6] Per OTL, Hill retired after Doctor Who to take care of her child. IITL, she remains a recognizable jobbing actress until her retirement.
[7] OTL's Lambert had one and only one pick for Ian in the form of Russell. A Russell without Hill would be interesting but also a little boring to write. Hence forth he recieves better offers when contracts are negotiated and he decides to drop out. Not to fear though, we shall not see the last of William Russell.
[8] Law did audition in OTL.
[9] As specified in the original casting notes for the story, an attempt is made here to keep her on the path planned for her.
[10] During the production of The Raven, Peter Lorre improvised a lot and made Karloff uncomfortable, for he'd memorized the script and decided to stick with it. It's less prominent here because of how minimal Suzanne's actions are but even so.
[11] A very real story which I recommend reading about!
[12] Two TARDIS consoles are used, one for Karloff and one for the others, signal between the changing of the two is an increase in the tempo of the time rotor.
[13] In reality a shot of Karloff from the excellent film Targets. In OTL, the original plan was for Hartnell to where a normal suit from the sixties which was later retrofitted into the more familiar outfit. I've tried to draw a happy medium betwixt the two. The list of items that make out the outfit and the picture itself can be found here for those curious: https://bamfstyle.com/2020/10/29/karloff-tweed-targets/

Great to see some different names from British TV history turning up. Coincidentally, I've just got a DVD with an episode of Out Of This World on it.

Great to see some different names from British TV history turning up. Coincidentally, I've just got a DVD with an episode of Out Of This World on it.
Coming from one of the best alt-Doctor Who timelines, this is a high compliment indeed! As a fan of British character actors, I wanted to go with ones who I felt weren't really going to be touched by any other timeline. I definitely do have to make some time and give it a proper watch at some point.

Watched with gusto. Thanks to @Guajolote for pointing this out to me! :)
Thanks so much! Definitely hope to continue impressing you.

Last edited:
Actually, and I hope I'm not stepping on your toes here. But Boris Karloff was very nearly Doctor Who... on radio.

Back in 1965, Stanmark and Watermill productions made a pitch to do a Doctor Who radio adventures series for the international market. The BBC was interested enough that they were receptive, and ultimately gave Stanmark a contract for 52 episodes. The problem was that Stanmark couldn't quite make the financing work and eventually abandoned the project.

But their first choice to play the Doctor? Boris Karloff. They pitched Karloff's agent, and waited and waited for Karloff to return to England. But he ended up staying in LA.

So they moved along to Peter Cushing. A 25 minute audio demo was done with Cushing.

Anyway, I'm very interested in seeing what you do with this, and what direction you'll take the show.

Actually, and I hope I'm not stepping on your toes here. But Boris Karloff was very nearly Doctor Who... on radio.

Back in 1965, Stanmark and Watermill productions made a pitch to do a Doctor Who radio adventures series for the international market. The BBC was interested enough that they were receptive, and ultimately gave Stanmark a contract for 52 episodes. The problem was that Stanmark couldn't quite make the financing work and eventually abandoned the project.

But their first choice to play the Doctor? Boris Karloff. They pitched Karloff's agent, and waited and waited for Karloff to return to England. But he ended up staying in LA.

So they moved along to Peter Cushing. A 25 minute audio demo was done with Cushing.

Anyway, I'm very interested in seeing what you do with this, and what direction you'll take the show.
I very much appreciate the information! I've always wondered how Doctor Who could have handled radio, particularly given the success of Big Finish proves that audio only experiences can work! I hope I continue to entertain you!

Check out Richard Bignell's zine, 'Nothing at the End of the Lane' it has a full chronicle of the failed radio series. It also includes the pilot script 'Journey into Time' written by Malcom Hulk (the Silurians, Sea Devils, Frontier in Space, Invasion of the Dinosaurs, Colony in Space). This was actually produced, with Peter Cushing playing the Doctor, and apparently shopped around, but never officially aired.

There was also a weird abortive South African attempt to do a Doctor Who radio serial.

Cushing's Dalek Invasion Earth 2150's soundtrack was edited down to a half hour and actually broadcast on BBC in a separate program in 1966. This was part of some radio thing where they'd boil down a theatrical movie and broadcast it as a half hour radio play.

After that, around 1970, Sarah Jane Smith (Liz Sladen) and some Daleks were in a short radio play called Glorious Godwood, or something like that. Some weird promo radio play for some kind of horserace track or something.

Tom Baker did a couple of audio stories - Exploration Earth with Liz Sladen. It was more a narrated documentary.

Baker and Sladen also did an audio story released on vinyl called 'The Pescatons' it was about Earth being invaded by humanoid sharks and was written by Victor Pemberton (who had written Galaxy Four in the Hartnell era).

The real breakthrough came with Slipback, starring Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant and written by Eric Sawards, during the hiatus. Six 6 minute episodes. Believe it or not, Slipback is responsible for Big Finish. Basically, Gary Russell, Bill Baggs and their friends were so disgusted by it that they decided they could do better. So they started the Audio-Visuals, who did 27 audio adventures on cassette tape.

The Audio-Visuals spun off into the BBV with Bill Baggs, doing video and then audio through the 90s, doing gray market stories.

Then Gary Russell and his friends, other Audio-Visuals alumni, after experimenting with Shakedown (a legal fan film starring Sontarans) started Big Finish, licensing a supporting character from Virgin Books, from their Doctor Who book line, which eventually resulted in them getting a license to Doctor Who from the BBC. This was late 90s.

Meanwhile, in 1993, the BBC commissioned two Doctor Who radio serials with Jon Pertwee, Ghosts of N Space and Paradise of Death.

My god, I didn't even have to look any of this up, I just blurted it out. I'm kind of a nerd.

Anyway, really looking forward to your exploration of the Boris Karloff Doctor. I hope that if you haven't already, you'll take a moment to look over my Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies timeline.

Chapter Two: Dress Rehearsals
"The caveman story does not work. It simply does not. The first episode is, I think, excellent. But then there are three more episodes which amount to a great deal of running about and getting nowhere. I will grant that this is the basis of many of the shows we have lined up for the season but they at least have more interesting set pieces to consider. I understand Sydney doesn't want bug-eyed monsters but moving one of our alien stories forward might provide interest for the viewers at home, especially with Boris onboard. As it stands, if 100,000 BC goes ahead I struggle to see the series lasting. Do not mistake this for a slight against Anthony, the ideas provided (see: police box) are good ones and I insist on ensuring that Luxor gets made. Can we pick a different story?" [1]
Irene Shubik, a rough paraphrasing of a private conversation with Verity Lambert and Bunny Webber on 1st of June, 1963

"Upon further reflection, moving Story 5 to Story 1 seems to make the best sense to me. We can even re-use Anthony's script barring a slight alteration of the ending to have the Thals happen upon the TARDIS. [2] There are other elements that we could use that I think are important. David, if you can try and make sure that the scene with the rock finds it's way into the episode somehow? I'm sure Terry won't take it personally."
Verity Lambert at a producers meeting, 2nd of June 1963.

"Terry did take it personally. He didn't like rewrites, even though they were minimal. And people talk about the moment where the Doctor nearly kills the aggressive Thal with a rock all the time! I didn't mean it at the time, but somehow I'd created a character arc that still goes on to this day. I'm very proud of it, and I loved Terry's script, even though he was a real piece of work about it."
Anthony Coburn, interview in 1993 for Doctor Who Magazine

The agreement struck between the producers, story editors and writers was that there would be eight stories, four for both historical and science fiction. The planned 'The Giants' fell through as a result of the technical costs involved, and with the removal of what would later be fondly known as 'That Damned Caveman Story' due to cost and script issues, the science fiction story started us off. Some rough rewriting was forced throughout the series but for our money it does not seem to have affected the overall quality of the ongoing thread of the companions warming to each other in the slightest.

Production of the pilot episode (Sometimes referred to by fans as 'An Unearthly Child' and regarding it as separate from the remainder of the official serial) did not go well at all. Though the four regulars did a good job of portraying the characters and many fans think that Karloff's utterly menacing characterization as a tantalizing what could have been, actors regularly tripped, cameras smacked into pieces of scenery, props malfunctioned and there were repeated moments when it was clear that the junkyard set was in fact just a set. Of course, this is all common knowledge..... [3]
Extracts from Fact File of Beyond the Sun, Doctor Who Magazine, 60th Anniversary issue.

"Boris was game as anything for the scripts we got given. In some cases, they'd been done so quickly that the ink was still wet, but he handled them well enough. I like to think that at least one or two rose above some of the stuff he was making at this time..."
Verity Lambert, Gallifrey Con 2001.

"I have to admit that I was acting outside my wheelhouse a little. Impressed as I was with the first episode's creativity, I had handled monsters before and I could rely upon it. But it had been a good long while since I'd had the opportunity to play a straight role in the history-based episodes. I was thankful that Julian and Phyllida were there to back me up throughout the second serial, I was struggling to work out how to play the role. It clicked when Verity took me aside and pointed out that whatever Doctor Who was, he was going to be fascinated to learn of all these people whom he had seen through textbooks and so forth. His excitement would, ironically considering my age, mirror that of the children. It was like meeting Father Christmas again, so I tried to channel that as often as I could. I felt much better when we did The Aztecs and, er, the one with Alexander the Great because they gave me an angle to work with."
Interview with Boris Karloff, February 19th 1968, with a local enthusiast

Don't let anyone tell you that Doctor Who is emasculating or boring or too scientific. In my second serial I got to sword fight against the Mongol bandits and then chat about ethics with Marco Polo. I got more sword-fights than Errol Flynn in my time in Doctor Who but the exhilaration of realizing "Oh I've got this!" on that first go around has never been matched. It makes up, barely, for the monkey's bladder issues though Sara would not say so, of course." [4]
-Extract from Moondust Memories, Julian Glover's Autobiography, published 2022.

"My first role, of many, in Doctor Who was as the Intruder. [5] I was some horrible nasty creature that had gotten in through the doors of the TARDIS and went around hunting down the four heroes. The people were lovely but what stuck in my head was the damned costume they made me wear. I'm sure it looked fine on the sketches but it was so tight that I nearly passed out and there were certain....areas of my body that were exaggerated and drawn attention to that ought to have been avoided. I stepped across and delivered my first line, very scary line truth be told, "You are wrong, this is not your ship, it is your tomb!". Unfortunately, some fool had recently washed the floor of the TARDIS. So I slipped and fell and in front of Boris Karloff himself I ripped my trousers open. [6] Thankfully even the cheapness of the Beeb would not be happy with that being the final take, so they had to make do with some caveman outfit that they had left over. it was more dignified somehow."
Paul Darrow, in the Behind the Scenes of Season 1 Special Feature, 2005.

"I'm always a little embarrassed by the way Mystery of Hunter's Lodge came about. A lot of fans seem to like it and think it's a nice well written script. It's kind of them but the script was secondary in the whole affair. With the departure of the caveman story, we were able to avoid having to overstretch our episodes by looking around the costume rack and finding something, anything that could be used on short notice. Victorian costumes were there, so Victorian times were the choice. Even our most artistic choice, the sounds of the mill over the haunted speech of the poor workers, came about as an error in the sound engineering originally. Thank god we didn't waste time trying to build that set, we'd have been in real trouble if we had!" [7]
David Whittaker, interview in 1993 for Doctor Who Magazine

Did You Know:

That infamous clip of the Stormtrooper cracking his head off the door in the original movie (Or A New Dawn for all you born after 1991) wasn't the first time that actor Barry Richards had issues with seeing where he was going. [8] The young actor/stuntman was recruited amongst several others to wear a silly costume and pretend to be a Child of Luxor, a robot created by the admittedly rather creepy Perfect One, in the first season of Doctor Who. Unfortunately, while no issues with the unisex onesie (for lack of a better term) or thick rubber boots and gloves were recorded, the mask proved otherwise. During a marching scene, the Luxorite behind Barry stumbled and knocked into him, creating a domino effect. Thankfully the camera was zooming past to see the escaping travellers, but the aftermath of a group of supposedly emotionless robots staggering to get back into formation could be seen just behind Karloff, Glover and Law. Glover threw in an explanation that actually did make sense to the script, that the Perfect One was beginning to lose control of himself but even so, it's hardly a terrific accolade to have to hand. [9]
Article from Did You Know? A History of Random, Frightening, Wonderful and Pathetic Facts.

"So this show was supposed to be educational at this point, yes?"

"Julian, come on--"

"No I'm serious, I've learned a lot. Who knew that ice squeaked when you ran on it?" [10]
Julian Glover and Sara Kestelman on the commentary for Keys of Marinus, 2000.

"Oh god, we're sunk!"
Sydney Newman, November 23rd, 1963, after the Kennedy assassination. [11]

Dear All.

I wish to say that I have enjoyed my time working with you tremendously. I have no doubt that it has been hard and trying, but I am confident in the overall product that we are producing. My hope is that a second series gets greenlit but even if it has not, do not think it is due to anything related to your performances or the effort you had put in to create true representation of history or the fantastical worlds that science fiction has to offer.. Given the events of last night, I have asked Sydney to allow a repeat of the first episode alongside the second episode next week. We want this show to have a fair chance and we hope that you are willing to give it one.

So to further adventures in space and time! May they never end!

A letter sent by Verity Lambert to the cast of Doctor Who on November 24th, 1963.

NEXT TIME: BREAKING DOWN SEASON 1 OF DOCTOR WHO.
[1] Perhaps my most controversial decision yet! On the off chance you do not know, what we know as An Unearthly Child is a cobbled together remnant of the planned second serial and the first episode of the intended first serial known as The Giants. The Giants not happening due to technical stuff seems logical to me, but I made the choice of cut 100,000 BC because I am sure I read a rumour that the writer and the production team weren't certain about it's chances of succeeding. If anyone can find something better than it just being on Anthony Coburn's wikipedia page, that would be terrific, but even if you can't I figure it would not take much to force Nation's script into the first slot.
[2] The script will therefore bear a striking resemblance to the original novel written by David Whittaker entitled Dr Who and the Daleks which combined the first episode of An Unearthly Child with The Daleks.
[3] Much of the production's woes thus far are unavoidable or done to an extent that I can't honestly think having Boris instead of William would change it. So it stays.
[4] Based off an OTL incident with Carol Ann Ford and a spider-monkey in Marco Polo.
[5] One of the 'Kill Your Darlings' approach I've attempted to take for this timeline. I prefer the Dr Who and the Daleks storyline for an introduction to the TARDIS crew (Though An Unearthly Child as is remains very good indeed), but in it's place I must sacrifice the atmospheric Edge of Destruction for something of lesser quality.
[6] This will be one of the "And they were all wearing eyepatches!" of IITL Doctor Who Fandom.
[7] A metaphor for me writing this story perhaps? Could be.
[8] Terry Richards replaces Laurie Good as Stormtrooper who smacks his head ismply because Richards actually worked in the sixties whereas Good would have been seventeen or maybe eighteen at the most.
[9] If you don't think something like that could avoid getting put into the episode, I point to A: The Web Planet and B: A hungover Matthew Waterhouse throwing up in Castrovalva which can be heard in the background of the episode's finale.
[10] As per OTL.
[11] All happens as per OTL with a lot more grumbling because Newman really doesn't like the Daleks and thinks they're silly.

1] Perhaps my most controversial decision yet! On the off chance you do not know, what we know as An Unearthly Child is a cobbled together remnant of the planned second serial and the first episode of the intended first serial known as The Giants. The Giants not happening due to technical stuff seems logical to me, but I made the choice of cut 100,000 BC because I am sure I read a rumour that the writer and the production team weren't certain about it's chances of succeeding. If anyone can find something better than it just being on Anthony Coburn's wikipedia page, that would be terrific, but even if you can't I figure it would not take much to force Nation's script into the first slot.
Good way to make sure that it’s sci fi right from the get go though

Anyway, really looking forward to your exploration of the Boris Karloff Doctor. I hope that if you haven't already, you'll take a moment to look over my Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies timeline.
I did and I was really interested in it! I should apologize for losing track of it, it was just one of those things. I definitely want to get back and give it a proper read through this time.
Good way to make sure that it’s sci fi right from the get go though
I by no means want to eliminate the historical stories, I just thought it would be interesting to move the order around a little bit. I think it was Moffat who pointed out that Unearthly Child's first episode is utterly spellbinding and then the remaining three are merely decent. It's controversial I know but such is the way with alternate history, at least to my reckoning.

I did and I was really interested in it! I should apologize for losing track of it, it was just one of those things. I definitely want to get back and give it a proper read through this time.

I by no means want to eliminate the historical stories, I just thought it would be interesting to move the order around a little bit. I think it was Moffat who pointed out that Unearthly Child's first episode is utterly spellbinding and then the remaining three are merely decent. It's controversial I know but such is the way with alternate history, at least to my reckoning.
I know but I personally want Daleks cybermen and masters