Bill Clinton Divorces

samcster94

Banned
What is the fallout if, at any point in his Presidency, Bill Clinton divorces??? It can be at any point as President, but is more notable if it does not have to do with Monica.

Kick
Everyone agrees because Hillary is a fucking harpy

More seriously he might catch some flak for it, especially if it has to do with his philandering

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Everyone agrees because Hillary is a fucking harpy

More seriously he might catch some flak for it, especially if it has to do with his philandering
Well, that's a week.

You know better than to drag current politics outside of Chat.

Sort of sick of this BS.

What is the fallout if, at any point in his Presidency, Bill Clinton divorces??? It can be at any point as President, but is more notable if it does not have to do with Monica.

If it's just a straight-up divorce over "irreconcilable differences", then not much. Divorce is so common among American families that I don't think it would create much of a stink. Divorce over adultery or something implying the President has a character flaw is another matter. We will eventually have a President get divorced during their term.

Honestly I thought the American public would never ever vote for a President who was either divorced or who got divorced . Trump making it through this problem was an honest eye opener for me and proof the Clinton era sex scandal changed politics forever . Now Clinton was not the first to have sex outside of marriage in the white office and not the last either . He was however caught telling lies about it .

Follow on effects, Hillary would not be dragged down by defending the indefensible in the eye's of some sections of the voting public . Clinton would not win a second term I think . And the odds of Trump making it over his philandering is less .

Honestly I thought the American public would never ever vote for a President who was either divorced or who got divorced . Trump making it through this problem was an honest eye opener for me and proof the Clinton era sex scandal changed politics forever . Now Clinton was not the first to have sex outside of marriage in the white office and not the last either . He was however caught telling lies about it .

Follow on effects, Hillary would not be dragged down by defending the indefensible in the eye's of some sections of the voting public . Clinton would not win a second term I think . And the odds of Trump making it over his philandering is less .

I'm not sure divorced presidents are a rarity because of character issues (like the divorce being caused by an affair) or even people looking at them differently because of the divorce. It could be a selection bias. Successful politicians are good con artists. And good con artists are as good at suckering their wives into staying as they are at getting voters to support them.

If it's just a straight-up divorce over "irreconcilable differences", then not much. Divorce is so common among American families that I don't think it would create much of a stink. Divorce over adultery or something implying the President has a character flaw is another matter. We will eventually have a President get divorced during their term.
Given that rumors of cheating and sexual assault dogged Bill Clinton from at least the time he ran for President popular opinion would probably assume the divorce was a result of those things no matter what the Clintons said.

samcster94

Banned
I'm not sure divorced presidents are a rarity because of character issues (like the divorce being caused by an affair) or even people looking at them differently because of the divorce. It could be a selection bias. Successful politicians are good con artists. And good con artists are as good at suckering their wives into staying as they are at getting voters to support them.
A President Edwards in an alternate 2009 would have serious issues(if somehow was elected).

Star Eater
The right can get away with things that the left can never hope to. I think there was actually a psychological study on why this is

My observations are the exact opposite. Can you provide any examples to change my opinion that the right is pilloried in the media for the least real or imagined "peccadillo" ? Serious question, since my opinion is sometime subject to change.

Dynasoar

The right can get away with things that the left can never hope to. I think there was actually a psychological study on why this is
It's because Reagan had Correct Opinions on certain issues, and made a big deal about it (largely as a way to fuck over Carter's support among the Religious Right.)

manav95

Banned

And Bill Clinton is a smooth person and cunning politician. Its so he was able to survive dealing with Newt Gingrich's Congress after the GOP wave in 1994. And actually get things done and some bills passed, for better or for worse. Obaam was less successful during his Presidency.

It would be seen as unusual but probably not affect much. If it happens early in his second term, Monicagate could go very differently - either a slap on the wrist or, if Hillary turns vindictive, a bigger circus. Either way, he doesn’t get removed from office unless the reason he gets impeached involves either something bigger or a pregnant Monica.

Colonel,

My recollection was that the Clinton impeachment and loss of Law License resulted from his lying under oath. Is this incorrect?

Colonel,

My recollection was that the Clinton impeachment and loss of Law License resulted from his lying under oath. Is this incorrect?

He was impeached on grounds of perjury and obstruction of justice. However, enough Democrats in the Senate decided that the GOP was on a witch hunt and removing him from office was bullshit. Even Maine’s two Senators voted to acquit and both were GOP members! However, add in a pregnant Monica and a vindictive Hillary and there may be enough people willing to convict (though Clinton resigning is a more realistic option.)

Star Eater

My observations are the exact opposite. Can you provide any examples to change my opinion that the right is pilloried in the media for the least real or imagined "peccadillo" ? Serious question, since my opinion is sometime subject to change.

Dynasoar

Ah, another person who pretends that Fox News isn't part of "the media."