Bicentennial Man: Ford '76 and Beyond

It also served as something of a microcosm for the Carey administration's foreign policy as well - despite some very tangible successes, such as drawing closer to the UK and other G7 members, capturing Torrijos, creating a blueprint for pressuring South Africa's apartheid government to come to the table, and most importantly supporting Sweden in her three-day conflict with the Soviets, each one of these successes seemed not to answer questions but rather ask new ones, with new challenges around every corner for the young but increasingly confident and assertive administration.
Carey and co. are doing well but the work never ends no matter how well you are doing. They're going to need that confidence since it's looking like its all about to pop off in the Middle East. Iran is stabilizing and firmly in the Western camp, but with the tension in Saudi Arabia, Sadat going goblin mode after surviving the attempt on his life, and the Baathist in Syria and Iraq getting fidgetty while Andropov is blowing his load in Sweden well... something's got to give.
I don’t think it’d do too much to harm Nixon’s reputation, though. Maybe it’d even *bolster* it - his efforts to normalize China eventually led to the opening up pressures that caused the PRC’s fall!
Plus with Reagan losing, ittl the big Republican victory in recent memory is Nixon '72, so even if the China stuff hurt him, I'd imagine domestic pressures mean 'Nixon: Now more than ever'

Last edited:
Pop Culture Roundup - 1981
Pop Culture Roundup - 1981

While On Golden Pond would win the Best Picture Oscar and score well at the box office, filmgoers primarily remembered 1981 for two action-adventure films, one which introduced a new hero and one which refreshed an existing one. Raiders of the Lost Ark, from the mind of Star Wars' George Lucas and directed by his friend Steven Spielberg, saw then-relative unknown Tom Selleck take on the role of Indiana Jones, a globe-trotting archaeologist and adventurer trying to intercept the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis can. A throwback to pulpy adventures of the 1930s, a balance of nostalgia, modern wit and cutting edge action made it a runaway blockbuster hit that made Selleck and his moustache household names and powered the Indiana Jones series on for another three films, with the final installment released in 1998. The 007 series, meanwhile, saw a new edge, as Welsh Shakespearean actor Timothy Dalton - who had turned down the role twice previously - was cast as James Bond in For Your Eyes Only, replacing Roger Moore after the much-maligned box office dud Moonraker two years previously. The film follows James Bond as he investigates the killing of one of M's personal friends "off the books," taking him from the forests of Vermont to the Italian Alps to the Greek islands as he tracks down a drug-smuggling ring involved in trying to secure a stolen British radar decoder for the Soviets. The film was a critical and commercial success, with Dalton's more grounded take on the spy heavily praised as a "throwback" to the Ian Fleming novels and even the early portrayals by Sean Connery.

In sports, 1981 saw the emergence of Magic Johnson as basketball's newest superstar as he led the previously moribund Chicago Bulls through the playoffs and defeated in six games the Los Angeles Lakers of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, announcing himself to America as a flashy, smiling, unstoppable basketball force on the court. Liverpool defeated Internazionale for their third European Cup, continuing the recent dominance of English sides. College athletics were little surprise, as Indiana won yet another March Madness title and Texas, a preseason favorite, dominated its way through a Southwest Conference slate and a Cotton Bowl championship aided by a late collapse in the Orange Bowl by Clemson to be named consensus national champions. Where there was some excitement, then, was in the other "Big Four" North American sports, as the Cincinnati Reds emerged as the surprise National League champion and defeated the Yankees in seven games to win a second championship in six seasons; mere months later, the dynastic Dallas Cowboys traveled to top-ranked San Francisco and blocked a last-minute desperation pass from Joe Montana to Dwight Clark to advance to their fifth Super Bowl within a decade, which they would win over the Cincinnati Bengals 33-27 to earn their fourth franchise title, extending their record and cementing their place as "America's Team." In the NHL, the heavily-favored New York Islanders were upset in seven games as well by the Calgary Flames, who just years earlier had been moved from Atlanta, delivering a club in Western Canada (or the Western United States, for that matter) its first Stanley Cup and ending the impression of hockey as an eastern and Canadian sensation.

So Selleck either gets out of the Magnum PI contract that OTL prevented him from Indiana Jones OR he's still Magnum but no writers strike means he has the time to do both.

Either way hopefully he keeps that glorious mustache for the Indiana Jones role!

"Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?"
Tom_Selleck_-_publicity_-_1980-1.jpg

Apologies, couldn't help myself.

So Selleck either gets out of the Magnum PI contract that OTL prevented him from Indiana Jones OR he's still Magnum but no writers strike means he has the time to do both.

Either way hopefully he keeps that glorious mustache for the Indiana Jones role!
Yeah I’m ambivalent about *how* he becomes Indiana Jones, all I care about is that he *is* Indiana Jones haha (especially since all the other non-Ford, non-Selleck options left much to be desired. I mean…. Nick Nolte? Tim Mathewson?!
"Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?"
View attachment 850549
Apologies, couldn't help myself.
Looks like he’s actually worried about Snakes

Carey and co. are doing well but the work never ends no matter how well you are doing. They're going to need that confidence since it's looking like its all about to pop off in the Middle East. Iran is stabilizing and firmly in the Western camp, but with the tension in Saudi Arabia, Sadat going goblin mode after surviving the attempt on his life, and the Baathist in Syria and Iraq getting fidgetty while Andropov is blowing his load in Sweden well... something's got to give.

Plus with Reagan losing, ittl the big Republican victory in recent memory is Nixon '72, so even if the China stuff hurt him, I'd imagine domestic pressures mean 'Nixon: Now more than ever'
Yeah, the issues with the Ba’athist regimes and the Ikhwan’s growing confidence is soon to come to a head.

I like Tom Selleck as Indy.
Seeing as we are talking Pop Culture, I recommend my go to change. Have the Second Death Star built orbiting Kashyyyk. You can have cute Wookie children for kid audiences but have the Rebel Ground forces be helped by a Wookie slave uprising. Give Chewbacca some stakes and a chance to shine.

Oh and this is a recent idea and I know it's a long way off but you could have the next chapter of Star Wars pull a Godfather II. Ostensibly a sequel focused on Luke but with flashbacks on Anakin's pre Darth Vader life.

I like Tom Selleck as Indy.
Seeing as we are talking Pop Culture, I recommend my go to change. Have the Second Death Star built orbiting Kashyyyk. You can have cute Wookie children for kid audiences but have the Rebel Ground forces be helped by a Wookie slave uprising. Give Chewbacca some stakes and a chance to shine.

Oh and this is a recent idea and I know it's a long way off but you could have the next chapter of Star Wars pull a Godfather II. Ostensibly a sequel focused on Luke but with flashbacks on Anakin's pre Darth Vader life.
That’s actually not a bad idea! I like that. A sequel trilogy in the early 1990s would be the time to do it

Sorry if it has been already stated, but does Star Wars still exist ITTL? The POD was in 1976, so a New Hope shouldn't have been affected too much

In sports, 1981 saw the emergence of Magic Johnson as basketball's newest superstar as he led the previously moribund Chicago Bulls through the playoffs and defeated in six games the Los Angeles Lakers of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
I’m excited to see what team drafts Jordan in 84

Seems like things could still go any number of ways based on the info we have now. However, it’d be pretty ironic if China moves toward democracy while Taiwan stays mired in autocracy and doesn’t unite with the mainland.
I hope this doesn’t turn into yet another AH.com China balkanisation

Sorry if it has been already stated, but does Star Wars still exist ITTL? The POD was in 1976, so a New Hope shouldn't have been affected too much
Yes it does. Release in May 1977 would have required it to be well on its way by October 1976 when the POD occurs
I’m excited to see what team drafts Jordan in 84
Haven’t decided yet tbh!
I hope this doesn’t turn into yet another AH.com China balkanisation
Don’t worry I hate those too haha

Id say the Ford admin keeps every base possible open moving forward - there’s simply no trust that Panama won’t try something again.
Roughly what I'd expect - they would want them even without Rummy and Cheney and wanted them since before Huele A Quemado poisoned the well (Torrijos had to explicitly reject extending the lease on the one base they had been allowed to reopen after 1947 very recently in 1972).
Now that I think of it, TTL's arrangement probably has the Zonians furiously celebrating. How very fun. Not.
"Sure, Nixon was a corrupt SOB, but at least he ate McGovern alive, dammit."
I don’t think it’d do too much to harm Nixon’s reputation, though. Maybe it’d even *bolster* it - his efforts to normalize China eventually led to the opening up pressures that caused the PRC’s fall!
Sort of like the Nixonian version to how many ascribe the USSR's fall to Reagan's military spending and the pressure it put on the Soviets.

Last edited:
Here's a fun name (since the odds of my Bulls getting him and Magic is non-existent): Seattle. A dominant 90s SuperSonics team probably keeps them in Seattle permanently rather than having them stolen (excuse me, I mean "moved") to Oklahoma City in the early 00s.
Not a bad idea. I’d pondered Len Bias surviving and ending up either in Seattle or as in OTL Boston and an MJ/Bias connection would be, uhhh… 😳
Roughly what I'd expect - they would want them even without Rummy and Cheney and wanted them since before Huele A Quemado poisoned the well (Torrijos had to explicitly reject extending the lease on the one base they had been allowed to reopen after 1947 very recently in 1972).
Now that I think of it, TTL's arrangement probably has the Zonians furiously celebrating. How very fun. Not.

"Sure, Nixon was a corrupt SOB, but at least he ate McGovern alive, dammit."

Sort of like the Nixonian version to how many ascribe the USSR's fall to Reagan's military spending and the pressure it put on the Soviets.
Basically what I was inspired by! Haha

I forget the Bullets/Wizards exist sometimes tbh haha

What can I say I’m the best 🤷‍♂️I
I hope you keep Drazen Petrovic alive. Really great player, I have his jersey. My Nets deserve better. It’s far off an I figure keeping so many people alive especially someone so minor overall. Still, maybe a MJ/Petro combo on the Blazers could work with a Bias and Payton lead Sonics competing in the West. Also, if you want to kill off anyone, make it Malone, not for any reason other than I find him gross.