Beyond the Gap and The Sky People

By Stirling and Turtledove, respectively. I recently finished both, and thought that the Sky People was good, whereas Beyond the Gap was just a lead-up to another dreaded Turtledove series. What were your thoughts?

I enjoyed Sky People, and I'm looking forward to the next one. It's an interesting concept, goes back to the old pulp magazines of the 50s, good characters, etc..

I was disapointed in Beyond the Gap, it just seems like I've read it before, not much originality. Not sure if I'll buy the rest of that series.

Much of The Sky People reminded me a great deal of the scenes in Against the Tide of Years and On the Ocean of Eternity that dealt with the Giernas expedition going across North America. I think the only thing Giernas didn't have that Vitrac did was a zeppelin.

And even then the Nantucketers built their own zeppelins.

I agree, Beyond the Gap was dissapointing, but the Sky People was good.

BTW, it just goes to show that even Stirling shares the common AH enthusiasts love for airships. :D

BTW, it just goes to show that even Stirling shares the common AH enthusiasts love for airships. :D

I still like the scene in The Peshawar Lancers that's just Stirling lovingly describing every detail of the Raj's airship, from the hull down to the Stirling-cycle engines. It's horrendously boring and is placed badly as far as book pacing, but merely the attention he gives to it is hilarious.

I could be wrong, but I think I've isolated the primary AH community problem with Turtledove. He doesn't write counter-factuals (as in make a POD and follow). He writes historical fiction with enough of the names/titles changed to make it sellable.

He's only mediochre at making people, and does have 1/2 of his protagonists being minor varients of the same person.

On the other hand, it is nice to get POV characters that aren't modern, which he is good at.

I could be wrong, but I think I've isolated the primary AH community problem with Turtledove. He doesn't write counter-factuals (as in make a POD and follow). He writes historical fiction with enough of the names/titles changed to make it sellable.

He's only mediochre at making people, and does have 1/2 of his protagonists being minor varients of the same person.

On the other hand, it is nice to get POV characters that aren't modern, which he is good at.
I think you may be on to something there; certainly that's been my basic complaint with ITPOME and the Colonization novels, to a lesser extent.

By Stirling and Turtledove, respectively. I recently finished both, and thought that the Sky People was good, whereas Beyond the Gap was just a lead-up to another dreaded Turtledove series. What were your thoughts?
Read Sky People. Can't wait to read what he writes about life on Mars. Haven't read Beyond the Gap yet.