Better Versailles Treaty

Is this better than OTL's Treaty of Versailles?

• Total voters
I couldn't find it either. Such a claim would need several sources before its accepted in any event

But since the Germans had authorized the DOW and it was delivered before the alleged raids, then the Germans could not have authorized the the DOW in response to the raids- the Germans still shoot first and start the war with the DOW
The war had already began, you can't start a war that has already started.
Assuming said raids really took place, it demonstrates that the Russians were going to act regardless as well, making it a wash really

Hi!

Here is my first submission - a better, fairer Treaty of Versailles?

Major differences from OTL:
1. Independent, united, Catholic Ireland. Most Protestants choose to return to Scotland and England.

2. Germany is allowed to keep Memel, Danzig, and most of Alsace-Lorraine, losing only the small sliver with a French majority. It is allowed to unite with Austria, which has retained the Sudetenland and South Tyrol. This way, Germany is a lot less likely to get swept up in revanchism and irredentism, and since these territories were ethnically German anyway, it follows the principle of self-determination.

3. Poland is allowed to annex the Zaolzie region, but not Danzig. IMHO, these were better borders for Poland than the post-1945 ones in OTL.

4. White Ruthenia and the Ukraine are granted independence, not so much for ethnocultural reasons (Belorussians and Ukrainians are to Russians as Bavarians and Alsatians are to Germans, especially at this time - the development of a seperate national conciousness is more of a post-WWII development, like in Austria), but more to create a buffer state between Poland and Russia. The Ukraine is granted the Kuban region, which was mostly Ukrainian-identified at the time.

5. Savoy, Nice, Trent, Corsica, and Dalmatia are returned to Italy. Germany/Austria gets to keep the mostly-German South Tyrol.

6. Greece is granted the majority-Greek parts of Northern Epirus, as well as Ottoman Thrace, Constantinople, Ionia, the Straits, and Pontus. Greco-Turkish population transfers happen, just like in OTL.

7. Armenia is granted the historically Armenian land occupied by the Ottomans before the war.

8. Kurdistan is granted independence, with Kurdish land from modern-day Turkey, Syria, and Iraq. No land is taken from neutral Persia.

What do you think?

Is this realistic?

A good idea?

A fair treaty?

PS: Sorry for my crappy mapmaking skills

Here's my version of this.

upload_2017-5-16_17-11-8.png

1. Britain is one of the victors, the Protestant part of Ireland stays in the UK.

2. Germany keeps Memel and Danzig, gives up Alsace Lorraine. Austria loses South Tyrol.

3. Asmuch as it pains me to say it, Poland gets nothing from Germany, even though its claims to Posen, Upper Silesia, the corridor (save Danzig) and possibly Warmia are rock solid. Poland is not a victorious power and it is too big a concession to force on Germany, which is really the main existential threat to Poland down the road (plus Poland already faces Russia). Furthermore, Germany requires access to the coal of upper Silesia to help it pay the reparations, which it's still going to do by the way. Poland's Eastern border consists of the country as per the Curzon line with the version that includes Lwow, but not Wilno (but Poland might take it by force so who knows).

4. No independence for Russian territories except Poland, the Baltics and Finland. Those are enough as it is.

5. Italy obviouosly takes no territories from France. That is a patently absurd demand and Italy never even expected to receive these territories. Italy receives both Trentino and South Tyrol all the way to the Brenner pass. It also gets all of Istria including Fiume and the parts of the Dalmatian coast it was promised in the Treaty of London, in spite of the unfairness to Croats. It is vital that Italy be a strong ally to France in the future and that it remain stable.

6. Greece may receive Northern Epirus in areas that vote to join but only if the plebiscite isn't conducted by the Greeks (They were trying to rig it blatantly). Greece receives Western Thrace and the area surrounding Izmir/Myrna and any Kurdish areas that might be included in that state. Constantinople remains in Turkey.

7. The treaty of Sevres is a whole different animal from here on out so I'll leave out any concrete things about the fate of Armenia and Kurdistan. It is important to remember that it is very difficult to force Turkey to accept that treaty in full.

Last edited:
Could you show me where in the document the two actions you cited are described? I ran the website through Google Translate and couldn't find them.
It's somewhere in part III. on this site, at least.

Haven't translate all of it by now, since I'm also only using Google translate.
As you might have discovered it's not very ... good in dealing with russian, almost completly screws up grammer and syntax.
Only chance to get at least some ideas of its meaning : only one sentence after the other, if some words are not clear, check these words singly and ... google translate uses the wordwrap of each row as a break. You have to find them and eliminate them.
Also :
Whoever has put it at this site : he didn't look after wrong spellings caused by copy-and-paste out of a pdf.

Tbh : it took me months to get at least the introduction and the I. part into a more or less readable fashion. ... still with many part I'm ... not sure of.

The problem with the VT wasn't that it was insufficiently harsh -- it was that France was in lousy shape to enforce it, and Britain didn't want to.

(The U.S., not unreasonably in my view, decided that maintaining the Peace in Europe was a European affair)

The VT could easily have worked, if the Western Entente powers had possessed the spine to enforce it when Hitler demilitarized the Rhineland, for instance.

Now, i suppose you could argue that the VT should've been harsher, but if the Entente weren't able or willing to enforce the existing VT, making it harsher won't work, and will only result in even greater misery and resentment.

The problem with the VT wasn't that it was insufficiently harsh -- it was that France was in lousy shape to enforce it, and Britain didn't want to.

(The U.S., not unreasonably in my view, decided that maintaining the Peace in Europe was a European affair)

The VT could easily have worked, if the Western Entente powers had possessed the spine to enforce it when Hitler demilitarized the Rhineland, for instance.

Now, i suppose you could argue that the VT should've been harsher, but if the Entente weren't able or willing to enforce the existing VT, making it harsher won't work, and will only result in even greater misery and resentment.
What do you mean with : "could have worked" ?
What was its purpose in the eyes of the french, the brits and the other "winners" (beside the nice wordings for Wilson) ? ... in your eyes ?

If they would start to show "spine" that late as the remilitarization of the Rheinland ... much too late, IMO.

Faeelin

Banned
If you're France, why don't you want Poland to exist?

I should note Germany was able to become a great member of Europe despite losing far more territory after WW2. Maybe the problem is not Versailles, maybe it's not breaking the necks of all fascists in 1919?

So the winning power lose territories in this treaty? That's gotta be a joke.
No way France would cede territories to annyone much less Italy. And Alsace-Lorraine was their minimal demand and it was already agree they would regain it by the others Entente powers.

What do you mean with : "could have worked" ?
What was its purpose in the eyes of the french, the brits and the other "winners" (beside the nice wordings for Wilson) ? ... in your eyes ?

Snip.

Well, that's the issue.

The British and French leaders wanted to humiliate Germany, pin ALL the responsibility for the war on the nasty Germans, convince their people that it was more or less worth the expense, and make a pretty penny in the process.

My own definition of a working VT involves, at a minimum: reducing the OTL likelihood of a Nazi-like regime (and hence a WW2), while keeping France and Britain intact. The OTL VT could've done that, if the French and (particularly) British had been willing to act when it obviously started to fall apart.

Personally, I'd favor an even more lenient VT in some respects, but such a thing wouldn't be feasible, and WOULD still require some level of willingness by the Entente to enforce its terms if required.

IMO the question was not as much the territories annexed from Germany as the war guilt cause and the indemnity.
Fix initially the reparations, as reparations to the damages to Northern France and Belgium, and remove the war guilt clause - you can press that clause on Austria-Hungary even as it is dismantled by Trianon.
Also, if you can get the war crimes to be judged by an overtly neutral court (ex in Switzerland or the Netherlands) it would be better for both sides.

Hindenburg and Ludendorff would be a good start.

H-L were fascists in 1919? I suppose that must mean that they started the movement. Where can I find a copy of their 1919 fascist political manifesto?

Edit: If you mean "break the necks of all those who might eventually become fascists"... well, okay, but murdering people for something they haven't done yet seems dubious.

H-L were fascists in 1919? I suppose that must mean that they started the movement. Where can I find a copy of their 1919 fascist political manifesto?
They might be considered Fascist more in the vein of the Eastern and Southern European Fascists (basically, everyone but the Nazis and maybe Italians) in which you had aristocrat's and members of the army in charge of things.

What I'm saying is is that it doesn't matter. My ancestors were immigrants it doesn't make me less British.
Forcing the Ulster Protestants out Northern Ireland would be as unjust as forcing southern Ireland to remain in the UK.
No the Turks weren't "indigenous" to Anatolia but nether were the Greeks. And by 1918 Anatolia belongs to many peoples.

Yes, in my opinion, it does make you less British, just like if I went to China, married a Chinese woman, and then our son married another Chinese woman, my 3/4 Chinese grandchild would still be less Chinese than fully native Chinese. That's just how it works.

Forcing the Ulster Protestants out wouldn't be unjust, given that they were an foreign occupying force.

Greeks had lived in Anatolia since BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsace-Lorraine#From_annexation_to_World_War_I

Ethnic or linguistic boundaries mean nothing to peoples nationality

Those were mostly about protesting Protestant Prussia than about wanting to be French. And they didn't get the majority in any elections after the early 1890s. A-L was happy being German in 1914.

And yes, that's how nation-states are defined.

As a Christian and a Byzantinophile, I'm inclined to agree. (The Christian population of Eastern Thrace formed a slight majority, after all.)

But the Greeks tried to grab far more than that, despite shoddy logistics and a divided officer corps. And in the attempt, wound up losing it all.

Only because the Western allies were more interested in screwing Germany over than enforcing a lasting peace. France was the worst, and America the least bad.

Sorry, what? Germany and Austria were separate countries until 1939, you could make the point that they were prevented from uniting but Germany was not partitioned into Germany and Austria IOTL.

The people wanted to unite, but were forbidden to. A North German state and South German state were created and forbidden to merge. The states were named "Germany" and "Austria".

Against a functioning army, probably not, and true, in the Spring of 1918 they were close to outright mutiny, but the Hundred Days did so much to restore that morale that it cannot be overstated. Germany was thrown almost entirely out of France and Belgium, their armies and massive concrete fortresses brushed away by the Entente forces that were revitalised by a complete mastery over modern warfare and the endless supply of American troops. The Entente had planes, they had tanks, they had artillery, they had troops both fresh and experienced, and most importantly of all they had ready access to the worlds economy with enough food and raw materials to feed their people and factories for as long as the war was going to take, and when the only foe was Germany in the state that it was in, 'As Long As It Takes' wasn't really that long at all. "So what if the war has to last another six months?" says France, "There's no question that it will hurt Germany worlds more than it will hurt us, and it's about time that this war started getting their people blown to smithereens rather than ours."

Their chief challenge would've been finding a way to pack enough cheese and baguettes to last them the march to the Rhine, because they weren't going to find fuck in Germany besides bread stuffed with sawdust.

I'm almost positive that if the other allies prevented French expansionism from taking all of A-L, the French would have begrudgingly accepted.

Here's my version of this.

View attachment 322867

1. Britain is one of the victors, the Protestant part of Ireland stays in the UK.

2. Germany keeps Memel and Danzig, gives up Alsace Lorraine. Austria loses South Tyrol.

3. Asmuch as it pains me to say it, Poland gets nothing from Germany, even though its claims to Posen, Upper Silesia, the corridor (save Danzig) and possibly Warmia are rock solid. Poland is not a victorious power and it is too big a concession to force on Germany, which is really the main existential threat to Poland down the road (plus Poland already faces Russia). Furthermore, Germany requires access to the coal of upper Silesia to help it pay the reparations, which it's still going to do by the way. Poland's Eastern border consists of the country as per the Curzon line with the version that includes Lwow, but not Wilno (but Poland might take it by force so who knows).

4. No independence for Russian territories except Poland, the Baltics and Finland. Those are enough as it is.

5. Italy obviouosly takes no territories from France. That is a patently absurd demand and Italy never even expected to receive these territories. Italy receives both Trentino and South Tyrol all the way to the Brenner pass. It also gets all of Istria including Fiume and the parts of the Dalmatian coast it was promised in the Treaty of London, in spite of the unfairness to Croats. It is vital that Italy be a strong ally to France in the future and that it remain stable.

6. Greece may receive Northern Epirus in areas that vote to join but only if the plebiscite isn't conducted by the Greeks (They were trying to rig it blatantly). Greece receives Western Thrace and the area surrounding Izmir/Myrna and any Kurdish areas that might be included in that state. Constantinople remains in Turkey.

7. The treaty of Sevres is a whole different animal from here on out so I'll leave out any concrete things about the fate of Armenia and Kurdistan. It is important to remember that it is very difficult to force Turkey to accept that treaty in full.

If you're France, why don't you want Poland to exist?

I should note Germany was able to become a great member of Europe despite losing far more territory after WW2. Maybe the problem is not Versailles, maybe it's not breaking the necks of all fascists in 1919?

So the winning power lose territories in this treaty? That's gotta be a joke.
No way France would cede territories to annyone much less Italy. And Alsace-Lorraine was their minimal demand and it was already agree they would regain it by the others Entente powers.

What fascists ? It wasn't invented yet.

1. 2 of the 6 Northern colonies were Catholic and pro-Irish even then. Now it's 4 out of 6. At least those 2 should have been part of Ireland.

2. A-L was mostly German, but I understand the French had a bizarre obsession with it. Why in the world would you give S. Tyrol to Italy? They had to historical or ethnic claim to it.

3. I don't think Posen is an unreasonable concession. Germany would have probably grudgingly accepted losing Posen if they got to keep the corridor.

4. The point is to create a substantial buffer between Central Europe and Soviet Russia.

5. Why not give them Corsica instead of S. Tyrol?

6. Why should Turkey get to continue to occupy Constantinople?

7. Okay

They might be considered Fascist more in the vein of the Eastern and Southern European Fascists (basically, everyone but the Nazis and maybe Italians) in which you had aristocrat's and members of the army in charge of things.

Then i guess the neck-breaking shouldn't be restricted to Germany.

233,000 Square Mile Germany LowQ.png
Also, here is my proposed Post-WWI Germany. Dark gray is German, red is land lost after WWI. The resulting state would be about 233,000 square miles.

Only because the Western allies were more interested in screwing Germany over than enforcing a lasting peace. France was the worst, and America the least bad.
Wrong; France had an idea for an economically lenient setting with Germany which would have created enough economic ties to make a later Franco-German war improbable. That was repelled by the Anglo Powers. Only then did France go for harsh peace for Germany.

Sulemain

Banned
Yes, in my opinion, it does make you less British, just like if I went to China, married a Chinese woman, and then our son married another Chinese woman, my 3/4 Chinese grandchild would still be less Chinese than fully native Chinese. That's just how it works.

How fucking dare you! My family at the latest came over here in the 1900s, and you imply I'm less British? Heck, they could have come here 20 years ago and I'd still be British!

Forcing the Ulster Protestants out wouldn't be unjust, given that they were an foreign occupying force.

Greeks had lived in Anatolia since BC.

They'd been there for centuries for fucks sake! Longer in the case of the Turks!

And who's gonna propose such treaty and keep his job?

None of the ratifiers of Versailles lasted long anyways. Maybe they should have willingly sacrificed themselves for a more workable peace. Probably not this one, though.