Better Chinese Junks?

Basically, if late Ming/Qing China had the political and economic willpower to pursue a navy (say for this scenario, a European-backed Kingdom of Tungning poses a more credible threat that OTL, although this question applies to any number of PODs that could have revitalized Imperial interest in naval affairs from the 16th century onward), could they have built wooden ships armed with cannons that could have contended with 18th and early 19th century frigates and ships of the line (in similar numbers) in the surrounding vicinity of mainland China and Taiwan?

From historical examples, there have been junks able to rival even first-rates in size and displacement, such as the treasure ships (even with the most conservative size estimates). Indonesian great djongs were also said to have been impervious to 16th century Portuguese bombards while also carrying upwards of a thousand men. However, at the same time, the great djongs were also criticized for their maneuverability, and the treasure ships were presumably not better off either.

As for woods, southern China had teak, which is a fairly good wood for shipbuilding, and I believe there also cork oak variants throughout central and eastern China too.

Perhaps to exploit the silver deposits of the new world they used their ship displacement advantage to move miners there and silver and other resources back? I don't know the intricacies of maneuverability but surely that wouldn't matter when you can move twice the weight in silver and pelts that an European ship can.

You would need Chinese politics to look farther outwards.
I think that was a cover story for.... "Crap we just got our posteriors handed to us by the Mongols, everybody drop everything and build a wall!" Basically you need the
Tumu Crisis (1449) to end with a win for the Ming and not have it set off political instability and strategic turtling, but having it improve the influence of the court eunuchs who were less conservative.

On the other hand, just because there wasn't official interest didn't mean there wasn't a lot of ocean going trade traffic post Treasure Voyages.

Last edited: