• FW 190

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Zero

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Fiat G.50

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Representing the United Kingdom :Supermarine Spitefire

Representing the United States :p-51 Mustang .

Representing the USSR :YAK 1

Representing the Japanese :A6M ZERO

Representing Germany :FW 190

Representing Italy :Fiat G.50

hipper

Banned
Representing the United Kingdom :Supermarine Spitefire

Representing the United States :p-51 Mustang .

Representing the USSR :YAK 1

Representing the Japanese :A6M ZERO

Representing Germany :FW 190

Representing Italy :Fiat G.50

Please Define Best otherwise there could be a argument about this :)

I went with Spitfire on that list. It had a long history was top dog at start of war and was still one of the top dogs at the end of the war.

Only really the Fw-190 could be close to that and pss I think the P-47 was probably the best American fighter of the war.

I'm going with the P-51 specifically the P-51D Variant as a game changer not just due to it's aerodynamic qualities ( very good ) but the superlative range of the Mustang. Before the introduction of the P-51D 8th & 9th Airforces loss ratios were so bad that the chances of a Bomber crewman making a successful 25 mission tour were an statistical improbability. The Mustang helped to break the luftwaffle day fighter force not all on it's own to be sure, the damage to German transportation infrastructure and fuel shortages, along with the impossible strategic situation they were in by the last year of the War, all came together to crush the luftwaffle.

They have different years of production and introduction. Fiat G.50 is from 1938. Mustang (if we are talking about Merlin engine versions were from later period. Fw 190? Which one A, D? Spitfire, again which one?

Bit awkward but....

You appear to have spelt P38 Lightning wrong - you wrote it "P51D Mustang"

No need to thank me just trying to help :D

Surely this should be about the fighter that had the greatest impact?

So giving each nation 1 - I put it as follows

BF109 (Mechanically brilliant)

Spitfire (Aerodynamically Brilliant - Design IIRC had the highest Mach number in a dive)

P38 (could have been Hellcat or Mustang - but P38 held the line in all theatres for 2 years)

A6M Zero (Dominated the Allies in the Pacific for nearly 2 years - finely made and would run rings around most allied fighters)

Yak 1, 3, 5, 7 - Same plane dammit

Macchi C205 - earned the allies respect

This poll is a sham and an abomination. There is no Spitefire. The Spitfire was great in its day, that summer, but the mark produced in great quantity was to prove inadequate before the guns of the FW-190, until many months later, a balance was redressed and overcome by the Mk IX and Mk XII. The superior FW190D9 was faced with the superior Mk XIV. The Mustang, with Merlin engine, did it all, with greater stamina, but only from 1944. The Sun set on the Zero fighter when faced with P-38s and Corsairs, and the Fiat G-50 didn't seem to have its day at any particular time. The Yak-1's greatest feature was being the first try that became some great fighters, but was, in itself, rather mediocre. The fighter flown to the most individual victories doesn't rate a mention. Harrumph!

Maybe a list of eighteen and pick three or four?

US - F6F, P-38, P-51
UK - Hurricane, Spitfire, Tempest
Russia - Il-2, LaGG-3, Yak-3
Italy - C-202, G-50, MC-200
Japan - A6M "Zero", Ki-61, N1K-J
Germany - Bf 109, Fw 190, Me 262

Fiat G50 as best Italian? I think this place belongs to Macchi 200/202/205.

Or the Fiat G.55.

Fiat_G55.jpg

If could choose anything to vote for, it would be the Bf109E. Simple reason is it was the best fighter in the world for the longest time. It entered service on 1st September 1939, and the Spitfire only caught it up with the crash propeller upgrage programme where all single engine fighters were fitted with new de Havilland constant speed units from 24th June 1940. Up to that point the 109 was easily superior to anything else in service in the world.

This poll is a sham and an abomination. There is no Spitefire. The Spitfire was great in its day, that summer, but the mark produced in great quantity was to prove inadequate before the guns of the FW-190, until many months later, a balance was redressed and overcome by the Mk IX and Mk XII. The superior FW190D9 was faced with the superior Mk XIV. The Mustang, with Merlin engine, did it all, with greater stamina, but only from 1944. The Sun set on the Zero fighter when faced with P-38s and Corsairs, and the Fiat G-50 didn't seem to have its day at any particular time. The Yak-1's greatest feature was being the first try that became some great fighters, but was, in itself, rather mediocre. The fighter flown to the most individual victories doesn't rate a mention. Harrumph!

The problem is the OP was too vague. His poll isn't "most impact", "most kills", "longest service", "longest air supremacy", and so on. If you go by a combination of most impact PLUS best fighter by the end of WWII AND best variant that is on that list, it has to be the P-51D.

Oh, and don't forget oh prouder Britons: The P-51 was a complete POS without its British Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, making it a true "Anglo-American fighter", so there!:p

Maybe a list of eighteen and pick three or four?

US - F6F, P-38, P-51
UK - Hurricane, Spitfire, Tempest
Russia - Il-2, LaGG-3, Yak-3
Italy - C-202, G-50, MC-200
Japan - A6M "Zero", Ki-61, N1K-J
Germany - Bf 109, Fw 190, Me 262

I've voted the P-51, (1) but:

1) Of course the Corsair and F6F together won the air war in the Pacific, but "best fighter" STILL is the P-51D, despite its limited service in theater. For the Japanese, the P-51 was an "Ace-of-Aces Killer", coming in so fast (nearly 100 MPH faster than a Zero:eek:) that a Zero pilot often didn't even know the Mustang was there before being being shot out of the sky. And if the Mustang missed he'd be gone before the Zero could react, with a much better air superiority performance than the Corsair (despite its own incredible dive speed) so it was safer for the Mustang to attack at any altitude.

The Tempest deserves honorable mention in the same sentence. She just wasn't in nearly the same numbers to represent the impact of the P-51D. As a V-1 killer and for tactical support in NW Europe, she was superb.

Air superiority, which is IMO the real measure of a true fighter, wasn't Russia's thing.

Italy never had a true first class fighter to match what the British had in the air at the same time.

The Zero had its day, but between Japan's inability to seriously replace it and the lack of any real numbers of aircraft built to replace it, the aircraft was a death bucket by 1945.

The Me-109 was numerous, but never superior to the Spitfire, while the FW-190 definitely was, with the various Marks of 190s in the position to stay one step ahead of newer Marks of Spitfires, until the arrival of the magnificent Spitfire Mark XIV.:cool: The Me-262 was an interceptor, not a true fighter. She might have scythed the Red Air Force (2) from the skies, save that her Jumo 004 engines prevented her from ever seeing the service she would have needed for the job. As a hanger queen, she was worse than the Japanese Hein, their copy of the Me-109.

Oh, and the German night fighter Uhu deserves honorable mention here too.

2) Not that she would ever have been sent East, what with the USAAF reducing the cities of Germany to rubble, which is why I mentioned the Uhu as well.

Last edited:
I learned my lesson .I will post a new thread that will be more specific and have better fighters to represent the nations involved .Especially the Italians and USSR .
I even might add other countries like France and others I can think of .

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I learned my lesson .I will post a new thread that will be more specific and have better fighters to represent the nations involved .Especially the Italians and USSR .

You might also want to consider adding things like era and mission. What was a world beater in 1940 was a death trap in 1945. The P-51D was a terrific fighter, but lets see how long it lasts on a carrier.

Good idea. The Dewoitine 520 would be in with a good shout for the French, although the Arsenal VG-33 was also pretty good.

Can I suggest some ground rules? Are we talking in fighter vs fighter combat or some wider comparison of abilities? Also, it's only fair to compare aircraft with other current designs. The 109E was great, but comparining it with a Spitfire XIV isn't really going to be very productive.

I think the next post will be fighter to fighter combat in overall performance .Also the thread will only be in performance not considering when the fighter was in service or who the fighter went against .

Last edited:
Mustang wins this every day of the week. The plane continued to be used by various third world countries well into 80's and beyond...