"Berlin Painted Black": Himmler's Third Reich

BERLIN PAINTED BLACK
By Troiya

nintchdbpict000066635977.jpg

Hello all.

This thread is to summon an audience/hype for my upcoming alternate history short story: Berlin Painted Black.
The story follows a Russian assassin/murderer who is found by the Soviet Police. However, instead of being arrested, he is given an opportunity to be pardoned: Kill Adolf Hitler. He accepts, being sent into Berlin the next day. During his stay in Berlin, he meets many different people and manages to get close to the Fuhrer.
The assassin succeeds in killing Hitler and escapes back to the USSR. The Third Reich falls into chaos, but Reichsfuhrer Heinrich Himmler names himself the new Fuhrer. After the assassin escapes, the point of view shifts to an SS Officer commanding a Waffen-SS unit in the USSR, and meets somebody very unlikely....

I hope that I get at least a small audience following this story.

Please post your thoughts about this bellow.

Thanks,
Troiya

There were ethnic Germans in Russia (Volga Germans) until the war.
... and well after that also - though now "transferred" to the kazhachian deserts.

They and their descendends or who had the chance to claim such descendancy came back to Germany - after 1989 in the tens of thousands.

Himmler was an interesting figure. In some way, he was one of craziest one of them all. Yet he also had occasional insights of sanity, such as arguing to sue for peace when war was lost, or wanting to make better and more extensive use of anti-communist Russian volunteers during Barbarrossa.
Anything between Germany falling apart even faster, or actually winning in the East would be within realm of possibility with him at reins.

I think he could be better leader, if you could limit craziest elements of his personality to his fascination with the occult and archaeology.

Being crazy about things that do not affect daily life is not debilitating.
For example, I am sure USSR (especially Ukraine) would be better off, if Stalin was proponent of occult rather than proponent of collectivisation.

Himmler as Führer seems like a losing proposition for Germany for the simple reason that, by the time Himmler was powerful enough to seize control and succeed Hitler, Germany was already losing the war. Himmler's power had increased more and more the worse the war went, especially after July 20 1944. As for Himmler wanting peace, he only wanted it because he envisioned a post-war role for himself and his SS in maintaining order. The Allies would never allow that.