Benedita da Silva becomes mayor of Rio de Janeiro in 1992?

The 1992 mayoral election, which pitted César Maia (a former ally of Leonel Briola who broke off with him a year prior due to disagrements on policy) and Benedita da Silva (a federal deputy who belonged to the Workers' Party), was one of the closest in the city's history, second only to the ones that took place in 2000 and 2008. The race, whose first round gave an 11 point lead to PT's candidate, ended with Maia getting 51,89% of the vote to Benedita's 48,11% after an acrimonious runoff that split the city along class lines, with the richer southern and central neighborhoods voting for the former and the poorer western and northern ones for the latter, as can be seen in the map below.

800px-Rio_de_Janeiro_1992.svg.png
But what if Maia's campaign is either too soft or goes too far in its attacks (IOTL he accused PT of having ties to organized crime without any evidence, maybe he could commit a racist gaffe or two), and Benedita wins? Maia's tenure as mayor was extremely popular, with extensive urbanization projects and the construction of the "Yellow Line", one of the city's most important avenues nowadays. My guess is that Benedita would focus more on social assistance programs, and perhaps an attempt to replicate what PT was doing in Porto Alegre at the time, with participatory budgeting and other initiatives that turned the city in question into a stronghold for the party until the mid 2000s.

Assuming Benedita is successful to the extent Olívio Dutra and his successors were down south, she'll almost certainly be elected governor of the state of Rio de Janeiro in 1998, since I don't think this POD would affect Marcello Alencar's victory in 1994 or his disastrous governorship. A side effect of this is that Leonel Brizola and PDT will probably fade into near irrelevance even faster than IOTL (sadly), since they'd lose one of their last strongholds to PT, perhaps for good.

Lastly, Rio is often seen as the window through which the rest of the world looks at Brazil, so it would be interesting to speculate if having a black woman as mayor changed a thing or two, however minor it might be.

Im not really versed on this subject, but it could be interesting if in this scenario PT stays as a southern party majoritarily in contrast to a PDT that centers itself more and more to the northeast and its politicians

Im not really versed on this subject, but it could be interesting if in this scenario PT stays as a southern party majoritarily in contrast to a PDT that centers itself more and more to the northeast and its politicians
You know, now I'm wondering if this POD could actually help PDT in the long run. If Benedita's victory makes Brizola realize that he has no chance to be president, perhaps he could stich an alliance with PT similar to the one that was made in 1998: in exchange for endorsing Lula in the national level (as well as candidates like Olívio Dutra in Rio Grande do Sul), whoever Brizola endorses to succeed him as governor of Rio de Janeiro will get PT's support.

Even if that candidate is still Anthony Garotinho (🤮), he'll have a much harder time distancing himself from Brizola's legacy ITTL if he defeats Marcello Alencar and is elected governor in 1994.

he would become something like a new pasqualini? that sounds pretty cool

on the main topic, maybe this could in the long term help Rio quite a bit, hopefully less corruption in the state politics

he would become something like a new pasqualini? that sounds pretty cool
Could you explain that? I know who Pasqualini was (a politician and big time intellectual), but I don't fully understand what you mean by Brizola taking his role.

on the main topic, maybe this could in the long term help Rio quite a bit, hopefully less corruption in the state politics
Oh yeah, we've been really unlucky with our governors, and our mayors (as far as the capital is concerned, at least) were and are only slightly better. Maybe the rise of the militias can be delayed or even prevented, since they first sprung up because the mayoral and state governments either turned a blind eye to their early activities (in the 80s and 90s) at best or outright helped them at worst.

what i mean is he, while still holding some office and all that, becomes more of an intelectual and mentor for his sector of the brazilian left guiding more younger figures, ig Pasqualini isnt really the best comparison tbh

I'm reviving this thread because I did some research on this subject, and also because I'd like to hear @Guilherme Loureiro's thoughts on this WI.

So, here's my guess on how a hypothetical Benedita mayoralty would likely go:

1. Her administration will likely put a lot of focus on Rio city's peripheral neighborhoods. As a congresswoman she helped install a parliamentary inquiry commission to investigate the activities of death squads in various states. She also took her first steps in politics as a member of various groups which defended the rights and interests of people who lived in the favelas, and made that a central part of her public image.
  2. She'll likely try to create various social programs to try and deal with Rio's truly appalling levels of inequality. As mayor she'll probably also try to follow the example set by Olívio Dutra in Porto Alegre, with the implementation of the participatory budgeting program that made him and his successors so popular there. Whether PB will work as well as it did down south isn't certain, since Rio de Janeiro is a much larger city than Porto Alegre.
  3. The Linha Amarela and other major infrastructure projects will be built later than IOTL, and almost certainly not under Benedita's watch, since the money used to fund their construction will likely be spent on social programs instead.
My final assessment is that Benedita would be a far more divisive mayor than Cesar Maia was IOTL, since most of her initiatives will be far less visible than projects like the Linha Amarela, Rio-Cidade and Favela-Bairro. Should her administration be a successful one, she'll likely be succeeded as mayor by a fellow petista like Jorge Bittar or Chico Alencar. Should Benedita fail as a mayor, there's a good chance her successor will be Sérgio Cabral Filho (🤮).

My final assessment is that Benedita would be a far more divisive mayor than Cesar Maia was IOTL, since most of her initiatives will be far less visible than projects like the Linha Amarela, Rio-Cidade and Favela-Bairro. Should her administration be a successful one, she'll likely be succeeded as mayor by a fellow petista like Jorge Bittar or Chico Alencar. Should Benedita fail as a mayor, there's a good chance her successor will be Sérgio Cabral Filho (🤮).
Yes, she would be divisive. My opinion is she would be seen more like Marta Suplicy was after her term than Olívio Dutra, though. Agree she would push for similar things Dutra did, but while I can't comment on Dutra's competence in any way, her short term as acting-governor(replacing Garotinho, who was running for president, IIRC) hasn't given me any reasons to accuse her of administrative competence.

I wouldn't discount César Maia as her successor, though(even though Cabral would have been a strong name) - whatever his many failings, he's good at planning and has the energy to see his plans go forward, both on the political and the administrative sense.

Yes, she would be divisive. My opinion is she would be seen more like Marta Suplicy was after her term than Olívio Dutra, though. Agree she would push for similar things Dutra did, but while I can't comment on Dutra's competence in any way, her short term as acting-governor(replacing Garotinho, who was running for president, IIRC) hasn't given me any reasons to accuse her of administrative competence.
The comparison with Marta Suplicy seems appropriate, since from what I know she was competent, if not exactly stellar. Benedita would also be taking office under a different context ITTL, since she won't be following on the heels of fucking Garotinho. Of course, there are plenty of things she can mess up as mayor.

I wouldn't discount César Maia as her successor, though(even though Cabral would have been a strong name) - whatever his many failings, he's good at planning and has the energy to see his plans go forward, both on the political and the administrative sense.
Maia would have name recognition in spades in 1996, though my money's still on Cabral - AFAIK not only was Fernando Henrique Cardoso still popular, but Cabral would count on help from governor Marcello Alencar and all that entails. Both Nova Iguaçu and Duque de Caxias elected PSDB mayors in 1996, after all.

Last edited:
Also, one more question @Guilherme Loureiro: do you think it's possible for Benedita to try and from an alliance with evangelical pastors over the course of her mayoralty? AFAIK she was pretty close to them during her time as Garotinho's lieutenant governor.