Beatles music in the world of Fatherland

Those of you who have read Robert Harris' novel Fatherland might recall that The Beatles are mentioned as playing in Hamburg in this alternate 1964. (In the movie, the Fab Four can be seen on a poster in Berlin by which the protagonist strolls.) Since, in that scenario, Great Britain surrendered to the Nazis and is a Fascist puppet of Germany's, what would their music have sounded like?

I don't imagine it would have been radically different; darker, perhaps, but probably still the same blues inspired sound we know and love today. I invision it being somewhere between the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. I also have a hard time seeing it/them make it past Goebbels and the Reich censors, which still exist in this TL. I say this because I believe that a defeated GB would have had a climate similar to that of West Germany in OTL in that there would have been a sense of defeat, sadness, loss of hope and (probably Nazi propaganda inspired) sense of responsibility for the war. Add to this a new, oppressive government friendly to your former enemy, not to mention the spectre of nuclear war, and you have a pretty bleak outlook for the Great Britain of Fatherland.

As a result of this I think either the Fab Four's music would have been darker and heavier, perhaps leading to an earlier and bigger rise of heavy metal. Or it could have been closer to what it is OTL, with the idea of cheering people up and or getting them to rise up and overcome, so to speak.

Cook

Banned
I remember reading a short story in Analog years ago, before "Fatherland" was published that was set during a Nazi – American détente.
The background was a cultural exchange tour of Europe by an American Rock group.
“Died on a crocked cross” was the title I think, and don’t ask me who the author was, this was years ago.
Anyone else remember reaing it?

Lucy with the ritterkreuz mit diamonds
Happiness is a warm Walther
Being for the benefit of Herr Keitel
Back in the eastern front
Gelbe U-boot
Panzerlied to a Mersey beat.
The possibilities are endless.

The book actually featured a line or to that was the same as OTL. (I think it was, She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah, but I might be wrong.)

Xen

Banned
Personally I don't think the Beatles would exist in Fatherland. They were inspired by American acts such as Buddy Holly, Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc. This type of American culture would have been supressed in Nazi Europe as being too Negro, and too foreign to be allowed to persist.

Now they could exist if say alot of British citizens moved to the US/Canada after the war including all four of the Beatles who settled in say Boston or Halifax together for some strange reason.

The book actually featured a line or to that was the same as OTL. (I think it was, She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah, but I might be wrong.)

It was I want to hold you baby or something along those lines, which does sound right.

Beatles music would have been radically different, considering how much they were influenced by earlier black American music, which, given the less open society a fascist Britain would be, they might not have access to.

Beatles music would have been radically different, considering how much they were influenced by earlier black American music, which, given the less open society a fascist Britain would be, they might not have access to.

I'm sure a black market of some sort would still exist.

Thande

Donor
Personally I don't think the Beatles would exist in Fatherland. They were inspired by American acts such as Buddy Holly, Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc. This type of American culture would have been supressed in Nazi Europe as being too Negro, and too foreign to be allowed to persist.
This, definitely this. The only way you'd have the Beatles is if they were a subversive underground group (no pun intended).

Now they could exist if say alot of British citizens moved to the US/Canada after the war including all four of the Beatles who settled in say Boston or Halifax together for some strange reason.
Their families could have fled to Ireland, being from Liverpool there's a natural connection (most obviously with Paul McCartney). Can't remember what happened in Ireland in Fatherland...

Actually, note that the Beatles aren't actually explicitly named in the book, and are only identified as a 'Liverpudlian band' or something like that. For what it's worth.

Actually, note that the Beatles aren't actually explicitly named in the book, and are only identified as a 'Liverpudlian band' or something like that. For what it's worth.

Ostensibly they are who Robert Harris was referring to. And the cover of the American record Meet the Beatles can be seen as a poster in one scene in the HBO movie.

Suffice to say, it's quite surreal to see a fully uniformed SS sturmbannfuhrer walk past a picture of the Fab Four. :rolleyes:

AFAIR in one line the song "I wanna hold you hand" is mentioned, so I guess the author didn't care for butterflies and assumed that they'd write the same songs as IOTL.

Presumably it would have to be quite a liberal fascist regime in the UK to allow The Beatles to flourish - Rock n'roll would also be seen in Nazi europe as Jewish, what with it being pioneered by people like Alan Freed

I remember a thread about this a while ago (but my search-fu is weak).

The songs I do remember were:

Back in the USSR
You don't know how unlucky you were
Back in the USSR

All you need is work
All you need is work
All you need is work
Work makes you free (Arbeit macht frei)