BBC Alternate History Series: SS:GB

I watched it last night, must have read the book millennia ago and can't remember much about it.
The storyline was really just being set up in the first episode. Certainly looking forward to seeing where it goes.
There wasn't a great deal of info about how things had happened, except the Luftwaffe won the Battle of Britain.
The resistance exists, including like Partisans, in the "unoccupied territory" which is up north (Scotland fights on, obviously).
Typical acting regarding the Nazis, chewing the furniture, pretty American Journalist, stiff upper lip Englishmen.
Allan

Saw the first episode last night.
Pretty faithful adaptation,
right down to Kellerman looking
a complete nob end in a tweed suit.
Yes, they added the bit about the resistance killing the German pilot & Archer in bed with the girl at the start, but agree it was very faithful to the book, with large chunks of the dialogue coming directly from the book. The only change I noticed was Archer meeting Huth for the first time which in the book came when Archer picked him from Croydon aerodrome, but last night he meets him in the morgue instead, and we didn't see his arrival.
Agree Kellerman was spot on exactly as described in the book, and the bit with the office and Huth getting rid of all the over the top furniture was exactly as the book.
The only bit I thought was bad casting was James Cosmo as Harry Woods, Cosmo is Scottish and had a very dodgy accent, not sure if he was meant to be Scottish or a Londonder as per the book, although he did look as described in the book. Other than it was excellent, and good to see Alternate History on main stream TV.

Cosmo himself is Scottish, maybe he was trying to tone it down.

Huth was also spot on in terms of casting and performance.

The Nazis and the Soviets seem to have closer relations in the book, with the Soviets having a naval base in Scotland and a presence in London. It's one of those things that a lot of adaptations would probably drop which hopefully points to the series being relatively loyal to the source material. I'd give the book a read prior to viewing, it's one of the finest works of AH ever written.

Maybe the story is set in a Axis Victory TL where the Nazi-Soviet Alliance endured rather than fall apart (like it did in OTL), which would explain how a sucessfull Sealion was able to take place* That would mean that Hitler ends up being thrown under the bus in favour of someone (by Nazi standards anyway) who is sane and pragmatic enough to keep the alliance going.**

*My personal view about Sealion is that the only way such an invasion is remotely even plausible is if the Alliance remains in place (Thus freeing up German resources otherwise used for Barbarossa for Sealion, likewise with the Soviets on the same side the Axis overall is rather stronger than what it was in OTL and thus more able to sucessfully invade Britain) and that the Americans don't provide Lend Lease either (nor do the Japanese attack the Americans).

**@Onkel Willie has done an excellent TL (although the Japanese still attack the Americans, hence Sealion does not happen) on such a PoD (https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-great-mistake-a-winter-war-escalates-tl.146908/)

I rather enjoyed the 1st episode. IMO it caught quite well the atmosphere of occupied Britain from the book.
BTW, does anyone knows why the Spitfire in the first minutes is a Polish one? It has Polish white-red checkerboard.

BTW, does anyone knows why the Spitfire in the first minutes is a Polish one? It has Polish white-red checkerboard.
Probably just lazy/incompetent film research.

A few years ago the neo-Nazi British National Party did an election leaflet about the glories of Britain - the front page picture of a Spitfire was actually a Polish-flown aircraft, with the checkerboard under the cockpit clearly visible.

Probably just lazy/incompetent film research.

A few years ago the neo-Nazi British National Party did an election leaflet about the glories of Britain - the front page picture of a Spitfire was actually a Polish-flown aircraft, with the checkerboard under the cockpit clearly visible.

Feature on these idiots here.

More recently, another bunch of halfwits have done the same thing. Here's the picture they used - it's an aircraft of the famous 303 Squadron.

15360-lja93j.jpg

Article here.

I saw the first episode last night. I quite enjoyed it. Some of the characters weren't really the way I'd imagined them, but that's me. It seems pretty much faithful to the book so far.

If it is anything like the novel, don't expect any explanation of the point of departure, details of the invasion, or very much explanation at all. It's much more about the atmosphere and the byzantine plot.

My detailed review of the novel (and my attempt to unravel WTF actually happens) is here: http://graemeshimmin.com/ss-gb-book-review/

Surprised the BBC has not either sold the American Broadcasting Rights, nor co-produced it with an American Broadcaster nor showing it on BBC America. After all considering the cost of making such programe and the appeal of BBC programes such as these you would have thought the BBC would have implented one of these policies in the context of this programe.

A_H_nikky

Banned
Surprised the BBC has not either sold the American Broadcasting Rights, nor co-produced it with an American Broadcaster nor showing it on BBC America. After all considering the cost of making such programe and the appeal of BBC programes such as these you would have thought the BBC would have implented one of these policies in the context of this programe.
So is this another development that doesn't bode well for our special relationship ?

I'm a big fan of the novel (and of Len Deighton in general), and was not disappointed by the TV adaptation. I didn't notice the sound issues many viewers have complained about (but did think it was a bit strange that Riley seemed to be doing a weird John Hurt impression while playing Archer).

SS-Standartenfuehrer Dr Huth was spot-on; he's probably the most charismatic character in the book (in spite of being a cold-hearted, amoral career Nazi), and the same holds true in the series. Liked the way his SS sidekick cracked up over the quip about needing to leave something for the jury to decide, while the man himself deadpanned it like a boss...

Regarding the PoD, I think we just have to accept that in this particular timeline, Sealion somehow succeeded. It's pretty explicit in the novel that that's what happened, even if Deighton doesn't go into any detail on exactly how. IIRC, in his non-fiction book about the Battle of Britain, "Fighter," (which I would highly recommend as a good read, even if it is somewhat dodgy as a historical source) he expresses the opinion that if the Luftwaffe could have somehow won air supremacy over SE England, the invasion plan could have succeeded, in spite of its many flaws. I don't think more recent scholarship supports this in any way, to say the least, but perhaps in the mid-late 70s less was known about the generally piss-poor state of the German plans and preparation for Sealion...?

Considering that fighting in Great Britain seems to have lasted for some months following the invasion, and to have been costly for the invaders (at least in the book, where I think the surrender document reproduced in the endpapers is dated Feb 1941), a deferred Barbarossa and hence an extended Molotov-Ribbentrop pact seems quite plausible imho.

Kellerman, so far, is exactly as portrayed in the novel, but I hope we get some indication in future episodes (as in the book) that the bumbling oaf persona is largely an act and he's just as much of a careerist Nazi shark on the quiet as Huth. Deighton seems to have been fond of this sort of character; KGB Colonel Stok who features in Funeral in Berlin and Billion Dollar Brain is pretty much just the Russian version of Kellerman.

(snip)

Considering that fighting in Great Britain seems to have lasted for some months following the invasion, and to have been costly for the invaders (at least in the book, where I think the surrender document reproduced in the endpapers is dated Feb 1941), a deferred Barbarossa and hence an extended Molotov-Ribbentrop pact seems quite plausible imho.

(snip)

Yep. 18-Feb-1941.

SS-GB-British-Surrender-Terms.jpg

The extension of the Nazi-Soviet alliance seems entirely plausible to me given that:
  1. The Wehrmacht isn't going to be ready to invade the USSR, being rather busy occupying/pacifying Western Europe and the UK.
  2. Hitler doesn't have the (nonsensical) 'reason' he gave his generals to invade, that the British were only holding out in the hope of Soviet help (which they weren't doing at all, they were holding out in the hope of US help).
I must admit the mention in the book that the Soviets have been given naval bases in the UK seems unlikely to me, though I can buy the stuff with returning Karl Marx's coffin..

Deleted member 2186

I must admit the mention in the book that the Soviets have been given naval bases in the UK seems unlikely to me, though I can buy the stuff with returning Karl Marx's coffin..
Maybe a secret ploy by the Germans to make it easy for them to sink Soviet ships when they go to war.