Battle of Sluys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sluys

The impact of the English naval victory was that throughout the Hundred Years, France was unable/unwillling to invade England.

Assume the French win the battle either because they have more ships or the Flemish allies of the English don't turn up.

Any ideas on how the war might now run?

I think the Brits could still crush any invading French army. OTOH they'll have difficulties to land an army safely in France... the first part of the war (that ended when France ceded its SW) would take longer, and everything later would happen postponed too...

Faeelin

Banned
Max Sinister said:
I think the Brits could still crush any invading French army. OTOH they'll have difficulties to land an army safely in France... the first part of the war (that ended when France ceded its SW) would take longer, and everything later would happen postponed too...

I actually agree.

Given how long it took the French to win, I think something like Crecy is ineveitable, if the English land.

But, what makes you so sure that the English could still afford to land in France? This is an expensive disaster for the English monarch; and most Englishmen still remember the mess that Edward II left for England.

But would the English be willing to give up their rest of Aquitaine? And there are still the Flemish, who could help them land their army on the continent.

Faeelin said:
But, what makes you so sure that the English could still afford to land in France? This is an expensive disaster for the English monarch; and most Englishmen still remember the mess that Edward II left for England.
Max Sinister said:
But would the English be willing to give up their rest of Aquitaine? And there are still the Flemish, who could help them land their army on the continent.
With an early drubbing, Edward III may decide not to pursue his claim on the throne of France, although I doubt that. What is no likely is that he relies more on the Flemish and become in hock to them.

France's position is different in that the King is dealing with a rebellious subject. By burning southern England he is reducing the revenue of his opponent (who was already pretty skint) without actually sacking his own lands. In contrast, an English raid on France hits territory claimed to be "English".

On the other hand the English army of mainly archers is much easier to ship across the Channel than the French knightly horde. Perhaps Philip VI could create the Ordonnance a hundred years early and thus return the favour.