Battle of Chncellorsville WI:

It being the 155th anniversary of the Battle of Chancellorsville, I thought I would give this a shot. What if on May 2, Reynolds I CORPS was anchored on the XI CORPS right before Jackson attacked? Would those two CORPS be enough to stop Jackson or delay him?

Last edited:
Tough to say, as part of the attack hit XI Corps head-on rather than on their flank. But Reynolds being on the right would probably prevent the entirety of XI Corps being rolled up and routed, and might end up "fixing" Jackson to the point where Hooker would regain his nerve and chop up Lee's piecemeal forces elsewhere with a decisive attack.

So what does bagging the Army of North Virginia do for the war?

Is it enough to end the fighting early?

Although there would be calls for it I don't belive Jefferson Davis would give up.

He may have to lose Richmond but unlike 1865 things aren't that bad for the CSA yet.

Johnston takes over CSA armies? Davis does it himself?

Positive - War wraps up sooner.

Negative - without Lee around maybe a desperate Davis does turn the conflict into a prolonged guerilla warfare campaign.

Does anyone know how strong the I and XI CORPS were at Chancellorville? I learned Jackson had about 28,000.

Does anyone know how strong the I and XI CORPS were at Chancellorville? I learned Jackson had about 28,000.
According to The Army of the Potomac: Order of Battle, 1861-1865 by Darrell L. Collins Reynolds' I Corps had 16,908 men with 52 guns and XI Corps had 12,977 men with 28 guns. Now I am not quite certain if these numbers are aggregate present or effectives but I know for certain that the XI Corps had about 12,000 troops on hand.

In regards to the OP, if the I Corps made it to the right rear of Howard's XI Corps then Hooker's flanks are completely secured. The I Corps was to be stretched from the right rear of XI Corps to Ely's Ford at the Rapidan River. Jackson's assault succeeded OTL more due to the fact that they outnumbered XI Corps 2-1 than his tactical skill. With no flank to strike, the odds greatly evened and Jackson's faulty tactical deployment, it is very likely that Jackson's attack splutters out against the combined mass of I and XI Corps. However, even with the failure of Jackson's attack, Jackson's Corps still represents a powerful threat on Hooker's flank. Whether Hooker decides to go forward and counterattack is up in the air.

Even without Hooker directly counterattacking, Lee would be unable to maintain his line when one considers that Sedgwick's VI Corps successfully storms Marye's Heights on May 3rd, putting Lee's rear in peril. The Army of Northern Virginia would be obliged to give up their position and fall back to Spotsylvania Court House or further south to North Anna. Given Sedgwick's rather timid and sluggish performance during that campaign, there is a good chance that Lee can get away if Hooker doesn't go on the offensive.