Barack Obama Put Up For Adoption

There's some new gossip about Barack Obama's childhood--apparently his parents at one point considered giving him to the Salvation Army.

I assume if they showed up intending to drop him off at the SA, they'd be referred to an actual adoption agency.

So WI Barack Obama's parents put him up for adoption.

No OTL President Obama, but maybe something else happens?

Double post from Chat:

I want to see a TL where he gets adopted by a family that moves to Kenya, but Obama successfully forges his birth certificate and other records to make it look like he was born in Kenya. Then he becomes president of Kenya, even though many conspiracy theorists claim that he was in fact American.

So WI Barack Obama's parents put him up for adoption.

No OTL President Obama, but maybe something else happens?

Odds are we'd have President Clinton (female) right now.

I doubt I can say anything else without getting FAR too political for Post-1900.

Well guessing that he's adopted by some one in Hawaii, he never goes to Indonesia, guessing his adopted early (he was a hell of a cute baby) and by a middle/upper-middle class couple likely white or Hawaiian, Hawaii is now and has always been highly multiracial, he likely still goes to the Panahou School and still is smart enough to go to the best colleges in America, likely still does, he likely never meets his father, if having no child means that his parents stay together its likely he never meets her ether, though if her life stays more or less on track she spends a lot of time in Hawaii so he might meet her.

Odds are we'd have President Clinton (female) right now.

The butterflies of no Barack Obama might make their influence felt earlier than that, though.

IIRC he became well-known for an anti-Iraq War speech. WI someone else takes the anti-war Democrat mantle to challenge Hillary?

Dean might work, but Dean has "the scream" working against him and he was losing primaries before that.

The butterflies of no Barack Obama might make their influence felt earlier than that, though.

IIRC he became well-known for an anti-Iraq War speech. WI someone else takes the anti-war Democrat mantle to challenge Hillary?

Dean might work, but Dean has "the scream" working against him and he was losing primaries before that.

I hope this isn't too political, but the only person the Democrats would nominate over Hillary would be another woman (no standout candidates that I know of) or a 'person of color' (ditto). Hillary had name recognition (negative recognition among certain segments of the population, true, but those would be unlikely to vote for any Democrat), her gender, and a long and carefully laid-out campaign in her favor. It is going to take more than an anti-war speech (especially when the surge was starting to work) to beat her.

I hope this isn't too political, but the only person the Democrats would nominate over Hillary would be another woman (no standout candidates that I know of) or a 'person of color' (ditto). Hillary had name recognition (negative recognition among certain segments of the population, true, but those would be unlikely to vote for any Democrat), her gender, and a long and carefully laid-out campaign in her favor. It is going to take more than an anti-war speech (especially when the surge was starting to work) to beat her.

"History is politics past the expiration date." :D

Or maybe he doesn't get adopted, becomes a hell of an angry young black man, and what happens when he finds out he's half-white... I don't know.

I meant: WI his mother gives him to the SA (unfortunate abbreviation...), and he grows up in an orphanage.

Oh.

I suppose he could become an "angry black man" if he grew up in an orphanage, but that isn't a given. Especially since this is Hawaii, which has a different racial dynamic than the continental United States.

(Someone said if he stayed in Hawaii, he'd be hapa something or other--mixed-race--instead of "black.")

I personally like the idea of Obama being put up for adoption is South Africa. He is adopted by a nice bi-racial couple who are killed in a terrible racially motivated terrorist attack. Little O decides to dedicate his life to ending racism, bigotry, and apartheid in SA. He leads several protest marches, and is jailed. During his time in jail he is tortured, but doesnt break. He is released during a prisoner exchange of sorts. After his release, he continues to campaign for ending apartheid using non vionlent protests in the style of Ghandi. For that he is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. After the apartheid regime falls, Obama runs for president of South Africa, and wins. There's how Barack Obama becomes the first black president of South Africa.

If that happened, he would actually deserve his nobel peace prize,Unlike Now. Fighting to end a blatantly racist regime, being jailed as a dissident, being tortured in prison, and using non violent protest techniques is worthy of such a prize. Promising to change american foreign policy and end american warmongering, all the while starting a war in Lybia, ramping up the war in Afghanistan to me does not warrant a nobel peace prize. JUST MY OPINION.

Wishing you well, his majesty,
The Scandinavian Emperor

Somebody had a timeline a few months ago where George W. Bush married his mother and adopted him. It was quite good and I wish it would come back.

Barry Bush was the title.

Taking classes at the University of Arkansas, Stanley Ann Dunham feels she just can't take care of this baby [POD: After meeting a woman in Hawaii who tells her what a great place Arkansas is, Stan decides to go there. Who is this woman? Well...]. She sets off in a stress-fueled haze, stopping in a small town. Tearfully she leaves the baby Barrack on the step of a store that is open despite the late hour, pins his name to his blanket, knocks on the door, and leaves.

Eldridge and Edith Cassidy don't have a problem with black people, they ran one of the few stores in town to cater to both races quite openly. But they're just too old to take care of another baby - their rambunctious grandson Bill had shown that. Knowing that no one else will take a black orphan in their small town of Hope, they take the boy to their daughter, Virginia. Virginia was a loving mother to both Bill and her step-son Mike, and her husband Dorsey was a good man who had plenty of work as a mechanic and fireman (who knows what motivated his first wife to flip out and flee for parts unknown...). While the family is very hesitant at first, they consider it their Christian duty. First in Hope, Arkansas, and later in all of America, Mike, Bill, and Barry Huckabee become quite the trio.