Bagryanov government declares war on Germany instead of trying to go neutral.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
Hi everyone,
so, my question is simple. After Boris III died he was succeeded by a regency council. during the Bagryanov government the pm tried to exit the war by being neutral and trying to keep some land to no avail and ultimately need all when the september coup was made and Bulgaria was doomed to communism.
What if Bagryanov realizes that he has to join actively the allies and does so? maybe before King Michael's coup, so the allies have actual time to send troops in.
what changes? does Bulgaria end neutralized like Finland or joins Nato like Turkey? can't see the soviets gaining it for free as churchill won't sell out one of the last monarchies in Europe to Stalin( also i recently discovered that his favorite wine was from Dobrich in Bulgaria, lol)
Does it manage to keep Macedonia or a slice of Aegean coast?( maybe the pre-1914 borders).

Hi everyone,
so, my question is simple. After Boris III died he was succeeded by a regency council. during the Bagryanov government the pm tried to exit the war by being neutral and trying to keep some land to no avail and ultimately need all when the september coup was made and Bulgaria was doomed to communism.
What if Bagryanov realizes that he has to join actively the allies and does so? maybe before King Michael's coup, so the allies have actual time to send troops in.
what changes? does Bulgaria end neutralized like Finland or joins Nato like Turkey? can't see the soviets gaining it for free as churchill won't sell out one of the last monarchies in Europe to Stalin( also i recently discovered that his favorite wine was from Dobrich in Bulgaria, lol)
Does it manage to keep Macedonia or a slice of Aegean coast?( maybe the pre-1914 borders).

If Bagrryanov joined the allies and avoided being attacked by the Soviets, the non-Soviet allies, if they didn't have actual time to send their troops in, would be forced to leave Bulgaria invaded by the Soviets and things would proceed as in otl. If the non-Soviet/ western allies had the time to send their troops into Bulgaria, Bulgaria would be in the Western Allied sphere of interest and would join NATO like Turkey. Bulgaria wouldn't gain Macedonia, the Aegean coast or anything outside of its 1920 borders other than Southern Dobruja.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
If Bagrryanov joined the allies and avoided being attacked by the Soviets, the non-Soviet allies, if they didn't have actual time to send their troops in, would be forced to leave Bulgaria invaded by the Soviets and things would proceed as in otl. If the non-Soviet/ western allies had the time to send their troops into Bulgaria, Bulgaria would be in the Western Allied sphere of interest and would join NATO like Turkey. Bulgaria wouldn't gain Macedonia, the Aegean coast or anything outside of its 1920 borders other than Southern Dobruja.
1: wow, someone actual gave an answer HAHAHA
2: i had my time to do some check. i think that Bulgaria might try to call in the NEULLY peace treaty conditions clause i went to read it once and if i recall correctly there was this clause were basically Greece had to give free access to Bulgarian trade to the Aegean and should they deny it the western Thrace territory had to be returned to Bulgaria. after ww1 Greece never allowed Bulgarian trade free access.

It takes two to tango. The Wallies might entertain Bulgaria becoming an ally (viz Italy as a co-belligerent) but the Soviet Union does not have to do the same. To work it needs an early and substantial Wallied presence in a Bulgaria which is actively engaging with the Axis forces. Now if there is some sort of Wallied thrust into the Balkans ready to land in Greece then maybe Macedonia as a route would permit that. I suspect that the Soviets would see it as an opportunity to have their southern flank protected by someone else and acquiesce in view of the fait accompli. However, Bulgaria will not get territories outside the pre war boundaries. The Greeks will not put up with that. Southern Dobruja will depend on Romania. If they follow the Bulgarian line then no. If they remain in the Axis at this time then maybe. If this encourages the Turks to join the allies it opens the Black Sea to allied shipping to support a Wallied thrust towards Hungary and Southern Germany. Stretching the AH rubber band further, might the Hungarians see the writing on the wall and jump on the allied bandwagon? This all has the potential to cause Cold War issues if the Wallies liberate all the way to Hungary and the Soviets claim their agreed areas of control.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
It takes two to tango. The Wallies might entertain Bulgaria becoming an ally (viz Italy as a co-belligerent) but the Soviet Union does not have to do the same. To work it needs an early and substantial Wallied presence in a Bulgaria which is actively engaging with the Axis forces. Now if there is some sort of Wallied thrust into the Balkans ready to land in Greece then maybe Macedonia as a route would permit that. I suspect that the Soviets would see it as an opportunity to have their southern flank protected by someone else and acquiesce in view of the fait accompli. However, Bulgaria will not get territories outside the pre war boundaries. The Greeks will not put up with that. Southern Dobruja will depend on Romania. If they follow the Bulgarian line then no. If they remain in the Axis at this time then maybe. If this encourages the Turks to join the allies it opens the Black Sea to allied shipping to support a Wallied thrust towards Hungary and Southern Germany. Stretching the AH rubber band further, might the Hungarians see the writing on the wall and jump on the allied bandwagon? This all has the potential to cause Cold War issues if the Wallies liberate all the way to Hungary and the Soviets claim their agreed areas of control.
If Bulgaria switches side it gives the allies access to the Macedonian ports where they can land. if Wallied troops starts arriving in Bulgaria and then the Michael's coup happens, Stalin might decide to rush and pour troops into Yugoslavia, fearing that the allies might take away from him also that.