Austria inside: a Greater German Empire TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario, just a simple question: ITTL the Common institutions (Reichstag, Reichskabinnett, G.Generalstab....) are also located in Berlin ? Or there is any sort of "Reichshauptstadt" in a different, more "neutral" location to balance more powerful southern sensivity ?

Mario, just a simple question: ITTL the Common institutions (Reichstag, Reichskabinnett, G.Generalstab....) are also located in Berlin ? Or there is any sort of "Reichshauptstadt" in a different, more "neutral" location to balance more powerful southern sensivity ?

Yes I know. Well, considering that Austria joined the Empire from a weak position, these institutions are equally located at Berlin.

Is it possible that, as deprussiation of the Empire advances and Prussia loses weight in favour of other states, the capital (or maybe just some institutions) could be relocated to a more neutral place.

It would be fab to build a brand new capital in the style of Brasilia (in the mid 20th century maybe) in an area close to all the important states, but maybe is a bit unrealistic.

Yes I know. Well, considering that Austria joined the Empire from a weak position, these institutions are equally located at Berlin.

Is it possible that, as deprussiation of the Empire advances and Prussia loses weight in favour of other states, the capital (or maybe just some institutions) could be relocated to a more neutral place.

It would be fab to build a brand new capital in the style of Brasilia (in the mid 20th century maybe) in an area close to all the important states, but maybe is a bit unrealistic.

Not that unrealistic if the member-stated make by comittiens for it and ensure is pretty in the south or a more neutral minor state(and the populatiry contest would begin,xd) the main issue is money, if that is solved the other would be when made it(Weimar? Frankfurt at Rheim?, some place in bavaria or baden?)

Just some additional thoughts about last chapter

The events described in the last chapter reflect the ongoing change of mentality in the German states.

In this case, the Grand Duke prefers that Hessen would be directly ruled by Germany (even if he did probably not envisioned an eventual partition; however IOTL Hessen was 'divided' when the North German Confederation was created) rather than exposing it to the risk of being influenced by an external power (Russia in this case) only for keeping his dynasty alive.

It also reflects the main balance of power of Germany (Noth vs South) that forces to adopt Solomonic decisions such the division of Hessen.

Could it mean there is a chance to see the construction of a new German capital called Germania as that expansion planned by Albert Speer Berlin during the Nazi period, adapted to the democratic rule of this great German Empire.

And if so, what would be its approximate location? Would near Nuremberg and Leipzig, now would be the nearest to the geographical center of this expanded German cities, or could be Prague in an effort to encourage the Germanization of Bohemia and Moravia?

Could it mean there is a chance to see the construction of a new German capital called Germania as that expansion planned by Albert Speer Berlin during the Nazi period, adapted to the democratic rule of this great German Empire.

And if so, what would be its approximate location? Would near Nuremberg and Leipzig, now would be the nearest to the geographical center of this expanded German cities, or could be Prague in an effort to encourage the Germanization of Bohemia and Moravia?

Well, I would prefer something more rational like Brasilia, not that megalomaniac, and certainly not called Germania (suggestions of names accepted).

The area might be in Thuringia (neutral area, close to Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria and Bohemia) but you can suggest alternatives :)

Well, I would prefer something more rational like Brasilia, not that megalomaniac, and certainly not called Germania (suggestions of names accepted).

The area might be in Thuringia (neutral area, close to Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria and Bohemia) but you can suggest alternatives :)

Maybe on the border of a few states as a true capital that isn't part of any one state. Or a minor state.

Or as part of Deprussianisation the Prussians 'give up' some land probaly in Central germany to make a Crown state like Washington DC or Australian capital territory. The states would like it.

If we really want a new capital Thuringia or even Saxony would be good choices. However I prefer that the capital stay in Berlin, it is well centralized and personally I don´t like that the southern Kingdoms gain so much power in Germany.

Eh, we aren't in the new world where capitals have little historical and traditional weight. I don't think Germans would ever feel the desire to create a new, artificial capital city. Frankfurt would serve perfectly fine as a good compromise at the divide between South and North and a central location in Germany's heartland.

Eh, we aren't in the new world where capitals have little historical and traditional weight. I don't think Germans would ever feel the desire to create a new, artificial capital city. Frankfurt would serve perfectly fine as a good compromise at the divide between South and North and a central location in Germany's heartland.

It is a good idea, and moreover the city had been historically a free city, not attached to a certain power.

Is Frankfurt am Main in Preussen in this TL? OTL they got there in 1866 after the Austro-Prussian War. So maybe the butterflys have flapped already?

Maybe I should look back... :p

On the other hand Dresden could be also seen as an alternative. Beautiful city and near to the "new" Bohemia and Morovia possesions.
It was also meeting point in 1850/51 to create a "German State" after 1848... so some "historic importance". Mostly by the fact, that ALL German statelets were there at that time.
( https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dresdner_Konferenzen_1850/1851 sadly in German :D)

Is Frankfurt am Main in Preussen in this TL? OTL they got there in 1866 after the Austro-Prussian War. So maybe the butterflys have flapped already?

Maybe I should look back... :p

On the other hand Dresden could be also seen as an alternative. Beautiful city and near to the "new" Bohemia and Morovia possesions.
It was also meeting point in 1850/51 to create a "German State" after 1848... so some "historic importance". Mostly by the fact, that ALL German statelets were there at that time.
( https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dresdner_Konferenzen_1850/1851 sadly in German :D)

If I'm not wrong, all German states also attended the Parliament of Frankfurt in 1848-49.

Another question.....are you gonna destine any upcoming chapter to outline the Kaiserreich politics?. It would be interesting to know the factions in the Reichstag, the pressure groups, and specially how the "Southern block" interests are represented.....

Since ITTL no Kulturkampf has been implemented, is there anything close to Roman Catholic Zentrum? Or there is a clear divide between pro-centralist National Liberals and federalist Conservatives?

Last edited:
Another question.....are you gonna destine any upcoming chapter to outline the Kaiserreich politics?. It would be interesting to know the factions in the Reichstag, the pressure groups, and specially how the "Southern block" interests are represented.....

Since ITTL no Kulturkampf has been implemented, is there anything close to Roman Catholic Zentrum? Or there is a clear divide between pro-centralist National Liberals and federalist Conservatives?

Yes, it is planned. However, I need to do some more research because I'm not very expert in this topic.

Well that was what the Dresden site on the German Wiki said:

Der auf die Märzrevolutionen folgende Dresdner Maiaufstand vom 3. bis 9. Mai 1849 zwang den sächsischen König Friedrich August II., die Stadt zu verlassen. Er konnte sie erst durch preußische Unterstützung wieder gewinnen. Bekannte Teilnehmer des Aufstandes waren Richard Wagner und Gottfried Semper; beide verließen daraufhin Sachsen. Nach Niederschlagung der Revolution fanden hier 1850/1851 die Dresdner Konferenzen statt, die einzigen in der Zeit des Deutschen Bundes, auf der alle Staaten vertreten waren.
from: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dresden#19._Jahrhundert

I find it striking that no European state - in our timeline - has opted for the artificial, specially constructed capital.

There are a number of reasons for that, not least of which is the lack of space. In any event, it's very hard to imagine Prussia agreeing to relocating the capital outside its territory. Even with Austrian accession, Prussia is simply too large and too powerful.

Beer

Banned
Hi!

First of: A great, interesting TL! While I dislike to make my first comment here a critical one, I think it warranted due to the overboarding "capital shuffle" ideas.
An artifical capital city is unlikely to the extreme and even a change of the capital away from Berlin not that likely as well, no matter if Prussia gives up power to the other states.
While I can see a potential change of the national capital in the long run, if not probable, I doubt a change of the Baden capital from Karlsruhe to Straßburg. Karlsruhe was explicitly chosen to be built/made capital. Going to Straßburg seems more to bring more tension into the TL.

Status
Not open for further replies.