Australia annexes East Timor or makes it a state

In 1975 just before Indonesia invaded there was a political party formed by businessman Hnerique Pereira in East Timor who wished for the country to join Australia, but this plan was closed down when Australia rejected the idea. Australia also intervened in East Timor in 1999.
Going off either both of these two Pod's how can East Timor become a part of Australia and how would this affect both countries?

You might need some extraordinary circumstances for Australia to accept Timor Leste. This is pretty much the same time that Papua New Guinea was let go. So I think you'll need different leadership in Australia for this to happen.
But if this guy does win, then it would show that there is a desire in Timor Leste to be a part of Australia. This is only two years after the 'White Australia' policy ended so there might not be much desire for Australia to add Timor as a state.
Waving that aside though, the current population of Timor Leste is 1.3million and Australia has a population of 26.8million so the Timorese won't become a big majority or anything. However, Australia may decide to continue Timor Leste on the path that Portugual did. (funding education and promoting coffee exports) I'm not sure how much coffee can be grown there or what other cash crops can grow there. But Australia may see it as a perfect plantation. A bit more investment and it would at the very least keep people working and Indonesia won't be invading for obvious reasons. Obviously some Timorese will emigrate to Australia, but I can't imagine too many would go during this time.

Wouldn’t Indonesia invade it anyway ? Can the Australians even stop them ?

I don't think that Indonesia would dare to invade Australian Timor. I don't know how storng Australian army is (beside tha they can't defeat some birds) but that might draw American and British attention.

Eeloo

Banned
I don't see why Australia would want a territory that has nothing culturally Anglo-Saxon about it, offers nothing economically useful and, if annexed, would only bring hundreds of thousands of poor Asian migrants into shanty towns on the outskirts of Melbourne and Sydney. It's as if the US wanted to annex Haiti or something else.

Last edited:
The Indonesian government at this point in time would be very worried about the capabilities of the RAAF due to the F-111C that was achieving IOC at the time and could not be intercepted by anything the Indonesians had. The RAAF Mirage IIIO would have been capable of achieving air superiority over Timor Leste if they operated from a forward air base.

I don't see why Australia would want a territory that has nothing culturally Anglo-Saxon about it, offers nothing economically useful and, if annexed, would only bring hundreds of thousands of poor Asian migrants into shanty towns on the outskirts of Melbourne and Sydney. It's as if the US wanted to annex Haiti or something else.
Yea that's true tbh, I was just kinda curious and high when I made this lol

Just like Papua New Guinea Australia has a cultural love for the people of Timor Leste due to the actions the ordinary people undertook in WW2.

Papua New Guinea had the "fuzzy wuzzy angels" as they got described in news reels and by the soldiers with lots of affection during the war and likewise the Timor people suffered willingly to help Australian Soldiers during WW2. This could be the impetus needed to intervene and the actions of acceptance by the TImor people could potentially turn public opinion into accpetance. As for the economic side I can see the potential benefits especially once oil and gas are discovered to outweigh other concerns.

Now to address the elephant in the room and that is the idea that Racism could scupper the plans of the government.

First Australia had a referrendum in the 1960's to accept Aboriginals as citizens with all the same rights. It was overwhelmingly approved. Racism is not unusual and comes in varying degree's. At the time Australia was accepting vietnamese refugee's and had a large number of veterans of the war in Vietnam. I do not see the integration of the Timor Leste people as being fast but I do not see how any slums would occur. Australia has never formed slums, we have had poor suburbs and the like but government assistance has maintained minimum standards. Timor would see investment and education that would rapidly increase standards of living at not much cost per person.

As for mass migration I can not see that happening due to the cost of moving to Australia from Timor and only the very wealthy would be able to afford it initially. I can see intermarraige especially with those sponsored into Australian Universities in the early days. I can see gradual transformation of Timor into the "BALI" of Australia and it being a preferred Holiday destination for a tropical holiday.

Wow that is a very interesting scenario I didn't expect anyone to take this seriously lol Thanks!
Just like Papua New Guinea Australia has a cultural love for the people of Timor Leste due to the actions the ordinary people undertook in WW2.

Papua New Guinea had the "fuzzy wuzzy angels" as they got described in news reels and by the soldiers with lots of affection during the war and likewise the Timor people suffered willingly to help Australian Soldiers during WW2. This could be the impetus needed to intervene and the actions of acceptance by the TImor people could potentially turn public opinion into accpetance. As for the economic side I can see the potential benefits especially once oil and gas are discovered to outweigh other concerns.

Now to address the elephant in the room and that is the idea that Racism could scupper the plans of the government.

First Australia had a referrendum in the 1960's to accept Aboriginals as citizens with all the same rights. It was overwhelmingly approved. Racism is not unusual and comes in varying degree's. At the time Australia was accepting vietnamese refugee's and had a large number of veterans of the war in Vietnam. I do not see the integration of the Timor Leste people as being fast but I do not see how any slums would occur. Australia has never formed slums, we have had poor suburbs and the like but government assistance has maintained minimum standards. Timor would see investment and education that would rapidly increase standards of living at not much cost per person.

As for mass migration I can not see that happening due to the cost of moving to Australia from Timor and only the very wealthy would be able to afford it initially. I can see intermarraige especially with those sponsored into Australian Universities in the early days. I can see gradual transformation of Timor into the "BALI" of Australia and it being a preferred Holiday destination for a tropical holiday.