ATL:Know Your Enemies, Know Your Friends, and Know Yourself

Commissar

Banned
Authorial Introduction

I will be using several different calendars for this timeline as the characters of this timeline use different calendars, so convert dates accordingly.

I am indebted to the works of Dr. Stephen Richard Turnbull and the primary sources he pointed me to in order to construct this timeline.

The purpose of this timeline is to have a more expansionist Japan in in the late 1500s, early 1600s with a variety of client states, allied states, and colonies in the Pacific and Indian Oceans and in the South China and Japanese Seas.

I have identified several ways to do that and will bring them together.

Know Your Enemies, Know Your Friends, and Know Yourself

On the 26th day of jūnigatsu in the eleventh year of Tenbun, Tokugawa Ieyashu was born as Matsudaira Takechiyo to Matsudaira Hirotada, Daimyo of Mikawa, and Odainokata. It was also this day that a delegation from the Sultanate of Brunei came to visit.

The envoys of Sultan Saiful Rijal had recently been blown off course and nearly sank on their mission of exploration and contact of new potential trade partners and allies. Fortunately they landed in Isshiki near Nishio and were brought to Okazaki Castle ruled by Hirotada.

Seeing the Matsudaira clan as good a place as any to start with, the envoys signed a trade treaty with them and gained permission to set up a trade post and mosque in Isshiki.

As part of the trade deal, an initial swap of goods consisted of ten arquebuses of Turkish Design. While not totally unknown of, gunpowder weaponry were extremely rare in Japan since their introduction in 7th Bun'ei some 273 years ago. These latest additions, however, showed real promise of becoming effective battlefield weapons in their own right rather than just exotic inefficient weapons.

After two months, most of the delegation left to return to Brunei leaving some 12 men behind to run the trade post and represent Brunei.

It was the beginning of a long and prosperous trade treaty that would later lead to the Sultanate of Brunei rising to dominate the Indian Ocean.

Also amongst those staying as a guest of the Matsudaira Clan was an Islamic Jurist and Accountant, Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah who in later years greatly shape the young and future Tokugawa Ieyashu's early education. And though Ieyashu would not convert, he did allow the Islamic faith to proselytize in Japan though without much success.

But that is later.

Next Installment:

Young Ieyashu grows up in a time of great turmoil and serves the Imagawa Clan as a hostage and vassal. Meanwhile Portuguese and Brunei Traders continue to bring trade and new ideals which see the rise of gunpowder weaponry playing a larger role in Japanese Warfare.