Argentina less restrained during the Falklands War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently 15 pages of you being ripped to pieces, not because of the distastefulness (or not) of the scenario, but because it's BLOODY F*CKING STUPID, are not sufficient to disabuse you of the notion that we dislike it because it is unorthodox.

If you believe that the preceding 15 pages was me being "ripped to shreds" then I'd suggest you need to get a reality check. That was IMHO merely playful debate, with modest give and take.

It is indeed unorthodox, but I don't care about that. What I care about is that it's so unlikely as to be impossible, and you insist that it would work anyway.

I have demonstrated there is no real reason why it would not work. You keep refusing to accept that for some reason. Each obstacle thrown up has been shown to either be false or one which would not necessarily have prevented the operation being mounted - if the Argentines had wanted to.

It won't.

IYO. I beg to differ.

Cook

Banned
Well, this has had about as much resemblance to a Tactical Appreciation as a kid getting bowled out first ball and insisting on taking his bat and ball home has to a cricket game.

Well, this has had about as much resemblance to a Tactical Appreciation as a kid getting bowled out first ball and insisting on taking his bat and ball home has to a cricket game.

I think following your cricketing analogy, it is time to "declare". I have made my points and they still stand. This thread is finished as far as I am concerned.

Gibralta, possibly. From Faslane, no it cannot. Even at 35 knots (which is 3 kns higher than the stated speed of the Trafalgar class) it takes a minimum of 5 days from Faslane.

You know, I wish people would do the maths, instead of just leaping to conclusion.

As it appears that it would be possible to achieve this in one day, rather than the original 2-3 days, it doesn't matter where the SSNK come from, they'll arrive too late.

No, because as has already been repeatedly pointed out, the British submarines left Faslane 4 days before the invasion of the Falklands - historical British response times - (and arrived in the Falklands in 10-11 days). You simply, as seems to be your way, ignored that inconvenient fact.

So given 5-6 days sailing to Faslane to Ascension, and assuming the attack on Ascension is simultaneous with the attack on the Falklands, the submarine arrives at Ascension after 5-6 days minus 4 days = 1-2 days, which even in your optimistic 2-3 days runway destruction plan, means the subs arrive at Ascension before the Argentines are done.

Similarly if it's 3-4 days from Gibraltar area to Ascension, that means the SSN is already on station at Ascension when the Argentine invasion fleet arrives.

And it's completely clear that the Argentines had absolutely no defence against SSNs. They couldn't detect them. They couldn't outrun them. And they couldn't defend themselves against a potential attack from any angle, including a sub over-taking and attacking from the front. How do we know? Because the Argentine captains, including Hector Bonzo, all said so. That is the reason their ships withdrew inside the 12 mile limit after Belgrano, and why the 2 destroyers scattered in the Belgrano affair.

maverick

Banned
Rickshaw, stop trolling.

Kicked for a week.

The rest of you should be ashamed for feeding a troll.

I oughta kick the lot of you, but I'm feeling lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.