Arab oil boycott would have resulted in a real breakthrough in renewable energies

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I am not seeing how at current tech levels and development levels we can eliminate all electrical plants (coal, gas/nuclear) and all Gas/diesel powered in favor of Solar, wind, hydro, tidal and or bio fuel.
No major country has trully manage to achive this yet, nor realky get that close. Countries like Germany have to keep back up sources available for all of there systems as they are (with the exception of hydro) more then a bit unpredictable.
And don't forget that we are talking about needing more electricity then we use currently as cars/trucks and trains move to electricity. So we need to produce more and also need a grud that can handle more. We also need to find a solution for the grid moving to a more consistent 24 hour load. as much of it is designed to run a peak capacity during the day then cool off during the low loads at night. but with charging cars and other batteries at night supplying trains that trend to run a fair bit at night, and heating homes. As uf we want to go renewable ae need to get rid of oil heat and natural gas heat as well, for that matter. and a LOT of houses still used Oil in the 70s.
And cost IS a factor. if you bankrupt the country trying to go renewable you have not really helped anything.
As for tossing money at it in the 70s. yes you can a bit and ut will advance things but you are not going to invent something in 1973-1990 that we have nit figured out by 2023. All the money in the world can only advance things so fast. And a lot of money has been spent over the past 50 years. could we have spent more? Sure. But that does not mean that we didnt spend anything. So you are not somehow inventing a 100% eficient Solar Cell nor a mythical “shipstone” that can hold electricity at a density of gasoline. For the most part we dont even have a theoretical wy yo do either. It is not like the manhattdn project were tossing mountains of money at it got the bomb fast. Nuclear bombs were theoreticaly possible and those with the education at the time new it. Hance why multiple countries all looked into it at the same time, Renewable sources of energy and a way yo store said energy is not yet at the point we have a theory to build to. What we need is a major new invention, Something akin to the Jet engine vs the ICE/prop. We can build better solar or better wind or better whatever but we can only improve them so much and so far.
Look at our electronics or your drills whatever. They are better then 20 years ago. but most of the increase in power/durration is down yo better motors or chips or whatever. Most battery improvements just make the lifespan of the battery longer.
And you cant “buy” a new concept/theory just by tossing money at it. You need to develop everything that goes with it so that your understanding of science all more or less evolves at the same time then you can take this knew understanding and see what toys you can build from it.
What the OP is asking for is like going back yo 1839 and saying if i dump a pile of money on a group of scientists they will in under 10 years be able to build an atom bomb with me onoy telling them that i want a Megaton yield explosive . They don't have the knowledge nor the theory to go on. If i did this and KEPT this unlimited funding going for 100 years I MAY get a nuclear bomb 10 years or so earlier. but i doubt you gain much more. You need to develop to many things and you need brilliant people such as Curie and Einstein to do the practical and theoretical work that the bomb is based on.
And right now 50 years later with drastically better motors, infinitely better electronics and all the other inprovements we have made in the half a century we cant even point to a theory on how to get past this. You could litterly brng the best minds and creative and practcal types in the world together hand them BILLIONS of dollars a month and in 10 years time still not be any better off as a result. Would we get better solar or better motors or whatever? sure but we dont need just better we need a whole new understanding. What the OP is asking for is to build a supersonic airplane without understanding how to build a rocket or Jet engine, no mater how good of a conventional prop you build you are not gerting yo mach 2. And in 1910 you are not inventing the jet and all the other improvements needed to get you a Sabre Jet.
I know we on tha forum love our what ifs but you could go back to the Roman times and you are still not building a 2-6-6-6 H8 steam engine. You have to have the technology and the theories they are based on. And in 1973 we dont. And in actuality we still don't today.
We can do some things but not everything.
Case in point i could (just) install solar panels on my roof that in June and July would pretty much power my house during the day. But at knight i am screwed, And the cost of a system to keep it going at night prohibitive . First i need about 1.5 x the panels as i need to produce enough for the off hours. Then i need a huge bank of batteries. and those batteries will need replacing in a few years so While my source of energy is renewable my batteries are consumed. So that brings the whole concept into question. or at least reduces its effectiveness. I have a 1984 car. it has had 1 new clutch and other then that it has only needed general maintenance, and gas, new shocks tires and windshield whiper type stuff. Wantvyo guess how many batteries you would. need to keep a car going for almost 40 years? Note i am not saying it is not possible nor am i sayng it it may not be better, but i am saying that electric cars are not the compkete solutin and that they have dwnsides, my buddy just sold his 5 year old electric car because of maintenance issues and he did NOT buy another. he has had three and has gone back to gas. So there are negatves.

So yes. think the idea that a change in 1973 results in a major difference by 2023 is ASB. In that we would need thse ASB yo explan to us how some new science works, as in 50 years s far we have not even came up with the idea for the science much less researched it. And blaming the failure on not enough money is a cop out. Researchers LOVE to play that game. They take money yo do research for years or decades then when they produce nothing and the money gets cut they blame the lack of funds and say f iu had only funded me for another 5 or 10 or 20 years we would have delivered. Just because the had delivered nothing until then is your fault. keep in mind that with a lot of these projects before the funds are cut the research team is often given a chance to explain why they are so close taht continued funding is justified. So in a oot f cases if they had something and just needed a bit more money and time then they may well have gotten it.
Now. suppose if wectossed billions a year at this then perhaps someone would have had that “ah hah!” eureka moment. but that is kind of like saying if i spend 100 dollars a week on Lotto then i am more likly to hit a million dollor jackpot and solve all my financial needs. Technicaly that is true, but the odds are drastically against it. And at this point as far as we currently know it may not even be possible to invent a drasticly better energy storage source or a drasticaly better truly renewable source of energy. we just don't know.
Now we probably would be better then we are today, Better batteries (a but) more effcien houses and buildings and what have you. Some major train lines electrified etc. but we would still have gas stations on every corner, and still use diesel trucks and zJet Fuel in aircraft, and oil powered ships and natural gas heated houses and most of our electric would still be generated in natural gass power plants or maybe coal.

In reqlity the best thing we could do for the counrty and the world in 73 is go all in on nuclear power. Spend those billions building a better safer nuclear power palnt and a safer way to dispose of the fuel afterwards. Cheep electric that does not add CO2 and other polutants to the air would be a bigger change then anything else we could do. And this does not require inventing anything hew just perfecting it. The nuclear powerplants we currently have are basicly hand built prototypes. a perfected system that we turn out in massive n,bers that is safe would be. a game changer. Heck it could drive the development of batteries and electric cars and tarins as the cost savings would be huge and obvious. We could prbably eliminate oil and natural gas heat, And the power conoanies could aford to improve the power grid. Add in more effcient buildings/homes and that would be a big help. But even that wont elminate the need for non renewable sources of energy.

And btw biofuel is a horrible source of energy based on how much land is used, fertilizer is required and fuel to farm it is used. In many respects it balances out closer to an energy storage then to a true fuel as you dont get put all that much more then it takes to produce.
And if we move more

Big supply shocks are by far the worse way to go about switching to renewable energy, that is a inherently slow and costly project over the course of decades, supply shocks need quick solutions (see how the ukrain was has basically saved the europian coal industry). Hell if it hadn't been for the 2 oil shocks the us would probably be majority nucular powered by 1990.

Last edited:

To make it much more interesting, I'll add that:

In 1996, Al Gore was elected president of the United States, and warns of the earth's entry into a new ice age. The predictions of the scientists that started in the 70's were not dealt with in time, and it seems that the cooling is inevitable

In 1996, Al Gore was elected president of the United States, and warns of the earth's entry into a new ice age. The predictions of the scientists that started in the 70's were not dealt with in time, and it seems that the cooling is inevitable
Wouldn't this be heading into ASB territory?

Wouldn't this be heading into ASB territory?
It wouldn't be "heading into" ASB territory, it would actually be ASB territory. There was some speculation that the effect of aerosols and particulate pollution would dominate over the effects of carbon dioxide, but due to environmental measures this became impossible (the amount of aerosols produced were reduced substantially, but not the amount of carbon dioxide produced) and in any case it's far from certain it would have happened even without environmental measures. Additionally, there was speculation around the timing of the onset of the next glacial period, but that wasn't (and isn't) expected to happen for thousands of years regardless.

Thus, neither of those possible effects would actually have caused global cooling in a sensible period of time (at best the aerosols and particulate pollution would have somewhat reduced the effect of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases), and the proposed introduction of renewable and/or nuclear energy would have resulted in much less particulate and aerosol pollution as well as reduced carbon emissions, again meaning that the two effects would more or less cancel out. So, there would be no reason for Gore to talk up "global cooling" in a hypothetical 1996 term, even accepting the (unrealistic) premise of the scenario.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I am not seeing how at current tech levels and development levels we can eliminate all electrical plants (coal, gas/nuclear) and all Gas/diesel powered in favor of Solar, wind, hydro, tidal and or bio fuel.
No major country has trully manage to achive this yet, nor realky get that close. Countries like Germany have to keep back up sources available for all of there systems as they are (with the exception of hydro) more then a bit unpredictable.
And don't forget that we are talking about needing more electricity then we use currently as cars/trucks and trains move to electricity. So we need to produce more and also need a grud that can handle more. We also need to find a solution for the grid moving to a more consistent 24 hour load. as much of it is designed to run a peak capacity during the day then cool off during the low loads at night. but with charging cars and other batteries at night supplying trains that trend to run a fair bit at night, and heating homes. As uf we want to go renewable ae need to get rid of oil heat and natural gas heat as well, for that matter. and a LOT of houses still used Oil in the 70s.
All of that technology exists though. We already have improved renewable energy being rolled out, and the grid is being upgraded (or could be upgraded even more). There is 110 GW of pumped storage capacity globally, as well as technology to make it compatible with seawater. Other sorts like compressed air energy storage or flywheeels are ancient--for instance compressed air was used in the late 19th century to power many homes and businesses in Paris. Based on actual stats, it should be 100% feasible for a small, mountainous country like Switzerland or Austria to go 100% renewable energy should they increase energy storage capacity.
And cost IS a factor. if you bankrupt the country trying to go renewable you have not really helped anything.
As for tossing money at it in the 70s. yes you can a bit and ut will advance things but you are not going to invent something in 1973-1990 that we have nit figured out by 2023. All the money in the world can only advance things so fast. And a lot of money has been spent over the past 50 years. could we have spent more? Sure. But that does not mean that we didnt spend anything. So you are not somehow inventing a 100% eficient Solar Cell nor a mythical “shipstone” that can hold electricity at a density of gasoline. For the most part we dont even have a theoretical wy yo do either. It is not like the manhattdn project were tossing mountains of money at it got the bomb fast. Nuclear bombs were theoreticaly possible and those with the education at the time new it. Hance why multiple countries all looked into it at the same time, Renewable sources of energy and a way yo store said energy is not yet at the point we have a theory to build to. What we need is a major new invention, Something akin to the Jet engine vs the ICE/prop. We can build better solar or better wind or better whatever but we can only improve them so much and so far.
Look at our electronics or your drills whatever. They are better then 20 years ago. but most of the increase in power/durration is down yo better motors or chips or whatever. Most battery improvements just make the lifespan of the battery longer.
And you cant “buy” a new concept/theory just by tossing money at it. You need to develop everything that goes with it so that your understanding of science all more or less evolves at the same time then you can take this knew understanding and see what toys you can build from it.
What the OP is asking for is like going back yo 1839 and saying if i dump a pile of money on a group of scientists they will in under 10 years be able to build an atom bomb with me onoy telling them that i want a Megaton yield explosive . They don't have the knowledge nor the theory to go on. If i did this and KEPT this unlimited funding going for 100 years I MAY get a nuclear bomb 10 years or so earlier. but i doubt you gain much more. You need to develop to many things and you need brilliant people such as Curie and Einstein to do the practical and theoretical work that the bomb is based on.
And right now 50 years later with drastically better motors, infinitely better electronics and all the other inprovements we have made in the half a century we cant even point to a theory on how to get past this. You could litterly brng the best minds and creative and practcal types in the world together hand them BILLIONS of dollars a month and in 10 years time still not be any better off as a result. Would we get better solar or better motors or whatever? sure but we dont need just better we need a whole new understanding. What the OP is asking for is to build a supersonic airplane without understanding how to build a rocket or Jet engine, no mater how good of a conventional prop you build you are not gerting yo mach 2. And in 1910 you are not inventing the jet and all the other improvements needed to get you a Sabre Jet.
I know we on tha forum love our what ifs but you could go back to the Roman times and you are still not building a 2-6-6-6 H8 steam engine. You have to have the technology and the theories they are based on. And in 1973 we dont. And in actuality we still don't today.
Case in point i could (just) install solar panels on my roof that in June and July would pretty much power my house during the day. But at knight i am screwed, And the cost of a system to keep it going at night prohibitive . First i need about 1.5 x the panels as i need to produce enough for the off hours. Then i need a huge bank of batteries. and those batteries will need replacing in a few years so While my source of energy is renewable my batteries are consumed. So that brings the whole concept into question. or at least reduces its effectiveness. I have a 1984 car. it has had 1 new clutch and other then that it has only needed general maintenance, and gas, new shocks tires and windshield whiper type stuff. Wantvyo guess how many batteries you would. need to keep a car going for almost 40 years? Note i am not saying it is not possible nor am i sayng it it may not be better, but i am saying that electric cars are not the compkete solutin and that they have dwnsides, my buddy just sold his 5 year old electric car because of maintenance issues and he did NOT buy another. he has had three and has gone back to gas. So there are negatves.

So yes. think the idea that a change in 1973 results in a major difference by 2023 is ASB. In that we would need thse ASB yo explan to us how some new science works, as in 50 years s far we have not even came up with the idea for the science much less researched it. And blaming the failure on not enough money is a cop out. Researchers LOVE to play that game. They take money yo do research for years or decades then when they produce nothing and the money gets cut they blame the lack of funds and say f iu had only funded me for another 5 or 10 or 20 years we would have delivered. Just because the had delivered nothing until then is your fault. keep in mind that with a lot of these projects before the funds are cut the research team is often given a chance to explain why they are so close taht continued funding is justified. So in a oot f cases if they had something and just needed a bit more money and time then they may well have gotten it.
Now. suppose if wectossed billions a year at this then perhaps someone would have had that “ah hah!” eureka moment. but that is kind of like saying if i spend 100 dollars a week on Lotto then i am more likly to hit a million dollor jackpot and solve all my financial needs. Technicaly that is true, but the odds are drastically against it. And at this point as far as we currently know it may not even be possible to invent a drasticly better energy storage source or a drasticaly better truly renewable source of energy. we just don't know.
Now we probably would be better then we are today, Better batteries (a but) more effcien houses and buildings and what have you. Some major train lines electrified etc. but we would still have gas stations on every corner, and still use diesel trucks and zJet Fuel in aircraft, and oil powered ships and natural gas heated houses and most of our electric would still be generated in natural gass power plants or maybe coal.
The funding issue has played out in real life. Observe this chart of solar panel efficiency growth from 1975-2020. When you think about it, the countless billions spent on research and subsidies for the solar industry played out into enough development to make solar power actually feasible. Even the energy storage technology required to make solar energy work is rapidly improving. There is a reason it dominates discussion on renewable energy compared to technology like tidal or geothermal which were relatively mature in the 70s.
In reqlity the best thing we could do for the counrty and the world in 73 is go all in on nuclear power. Spend those billions building a better safer nuclear power palnt and a safer way to dispose of the fuel afterwards. Cheep electric that does not add CO2 and other polutants to the air would be a bigger change then anything else we could do. And this does not require inventing anything hew just perfecting it. The nuclear powerplants we currently have are basicly hand built prototypes. a perfected system that we turn out in massive n,bers that is safe would be. a game changer. Heck it could drive the development of batteries and electric cars and tarins as the cost savings would be huge and obvious. We could prbably eliminate oil and natural gas heat, And the power conoanies could aford to improve the power grid. Add in more effcient buildings/homes and that would be a big help. But even that wont elminate the need for non renewable sources of energy.
Safe nuclear reactors weren't really available in the 70s and the economics were already mounting against the nuclear energy even before Three Mile Island. But it is likely that had nuclear energy been the main focus of research efforts instead of then-experimental technologies like commercial wind turbines or solar cells, we'd probably have a nuclear powered world today.
And btw biofuel is a horrible source of energy based on how much land is used, fertilizer is required and fuel to farm it is used. In many respects it balances out closer to an energy storage then to a true fuel as you dont get put all that much more then it takes to produce.
And if we move more
It's not really a problem given the huge amount of land available for farming that isn't being used for anything else. You are correct that it's a form of energy storage, but so is electricity. Unlike electric vehicles, it's much simpler to convert existing vehicles to use the biofuel.

Indeed, I'd expect if biofuels had been adopted on a largescale by the US starting in the 70s, then research would be far enough along to where most of it was coming from switchgrass, which takes less fertiliser, is less damaging to the soil, and stops the food vs fuel issue.

Possible alternative:

*1970s - more funding for mass transit, new laws requiring expansion of urban areas to include proximity of mass transit to within X miles of living spaces and Y miles of office spaces, expansion of nuclear power proposed and passed reluctantly with major safety concerns. Synthetic oil and improved solar become prime areas of investment due to government subsidies, bicycles become popular in the interim, Amtrak restructured to permit construction of TGV-capable infrastructure in some areas.

*1980s - Algal sources of oil / petrochem production begin to show promise, further expansion of investments into local/regional mass transit and national passenger rail travel. Dedicated TGV opens in the West linking Las Vegas to Los Angeles, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and (via Bakersfield, Fresno, and Sacramento) San Franciscio and Reno. In the East a similar line begins service between Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington DC. Texas develops a private system from Dallas to Houston to San Antonio with a spurs to New Orleans, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa. New legislation makes funding of new regional airports difficult and instead promotes biodiesel along with electric bicycles. Official definitions of 'electric car battery' are removed at the start of the decade to promote use of off-the-shelf technologies. Cuba seeks additional USSR help for its Cienfuegos project, promoting further Cold War tensions, and in the US fission power slowly (*very* slowly) becomes more accepted. Dulles Airport linked to WMATA, Fremont/Irvington is linked to BART, Denver and Miami airports are linked to RTD and MetroRail respectively, and Orlando emerges as a hub for a variation of the original Disney plan to extend (mono)rail coverage throughout Florida. California's severe droughts late in the 1970s make water reclaimation and conservation a slightly higher priority in areas of the West and southern US.

*1990s - A definitive national rail system develops at the end of the decade linking all but a dozen or so of the country's major cities with at least one through line. Electric cars become more popular though range limitations and safety concerns relegate them to only the largest urban areas. Hydrogen powered vehicles look most promising though fossil fuels remain the most efficient way to extract hydrogen en masse. Algal sources of oil development are conomical by the end of the decade with nuclear power accounting for almost 35% of enegry generation in the United States. Regional mass transit commissions are formed in cities like Houston, Denver, and Atlanta to integrate nearby cities in a SEPTA-like manner with NYC being a model for more local transit. Electric bicycles are common between stations and further urban planning lesiglation leads to a handful of true arcologies developing as well as corridors for transit or actual placement of mass transit systems in newly developed areas. Definitive laws banning ICE vehicles from downtown urban centers for at least every other street if not the majority of city downtown areas starting with the turn of the century become as contentious as any political issue can be, but pass in NYC, Chicago, Providence, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and surprisingly Houston. Smog in Los Angeles begins to clear substantially while rail links to most major Canadian and Mexican cities are added to the US national network. Desalinization projects initially proposed for California are instead moved to Florida, Mississippi, Mexico, Oregon, and Texas with pipelines bringing in additional fresh water to California and proposals for a reclamation pipeline from the bottom of the Hoover Dam back into Lake Mead using some of the power from the dam. Additional hydroelectric generational capacity is also proposed across the country with several dams to be rebuilt in the process. A side effect of the increased interest in alternate energy is better funding for NASA which completes its Freedom space station in 1998.

*2000s - Mass production if hydrogen becomes viable and algal oil reduces import significantly. Air travel is increasingly restricted from growth at a regional level, rail becoming much more popular even in cities like Portland, Honolulu, and Omaha. High-speed Internet infrastructure is added to mass transit regulations in further urban planning but in some areas the urban sprawl seems to give way to the urban wall - many downtown areas are rebuilt as giant mini-cities of multiole blocks in diameter and hydroponic gardening takes off especially as further expansion of nuclear, solar, and improved access to energy continues to improve. Hawaii cautiously welcomes a nuclear power station along with a pair of desalinization plants. California's drought, though still severe by standards of previous decades, is brought under control (though not entirely solved) by 2007. Scientists watching the Ogalla aquifer breathe a sigh of relief as the beginnings of a salinization trend are avoided and the aquifer slowly begins to restore itself. NASA plans for a return to the moon in 2010 via a new NOVA-esque rocket using a one-stage vehicle that also acts as a lander. Inflatable space modules become the clear leading strategy for NASA both in Earth orbit and for the lunar mission while private space tourism 'takes off' via Scaled Composites and other private firms.

*2010s - Lightweight composites, better computers, and customer demand make practical longer-range hybrid vehicles a reality late in the decade. Electric bicycles now tend to exceed 50 miles of range and can be folded into a backpack. Smog in most major American cities is either rare or gone, and San Francisco announces the end of ICE in all city areas not constituting federal, state, or port-based infrastructure by 2025. With algal oil keeping fuel prices more akin to the 1950s than the 1970s, this kicks off massive debates about the future of ICE technology. Several states enact 'Freedom of Technology' laws that guarantee the availability of petrochemical products to the populace while other states and some politicians call for a national ban for no later than 2040. California lifts the ladt of its drought restrictions in 2016, the same year NASA anounces its second and third permanent installations on the moon along with the Mars mission landing tentaticely set for launch on March 15, 2020. Space Station Columbus opens on December 01, 2014 as the first true space hotel with 48 rooms (all based on the Bigelow B330 module) at $500,000 per night and reservations are booked well into the next decade with two days of opening. They announce plans to triple capacity within two years as four other projects, including one by Hilton and another by Marriot, open by decades end and are specifically exempt from their points system until at least 2030.

Last edited:
In the 1970s the goal was to defeat the Arab boycott, to end the economic crisis. And so they released too much nuclear energy. At the time they didn't see a problem, but they only discovered the results in 1996.

And if we move more
There's been some recent very exciting developments in fusion that could almost sub in for OP's vague "technological advancement" but we're still 50 years away from a reactor.

OTL solar development took a long time, and had government sponsorship during that time. I don't think it's possible for things to progress to the point that renewables are taking over from oil all in the 70s. You need a pod further back.

Maybe a greater nuclear movement? Nuclear could supplant oil in many sectors, other renewables not so much.

I also think a important aspect is that wind power was one of the low hanging fruits (hydro power being the only lower hanging) and it still operated at mich higher cost compared to other forms of energy until the late 00es, which is why relative few countries invested in significant wind power until the 00es. Denmark was one of the exceptions and it was so for a very important reason. Denmark accepted the higher cost of electricity because it helped getting rid of the deficit on the BOP, which was a major economic problem between 1970-90, it was also why Denmark had higher prices on oil to lower oil consumption and enable Denmark to export its oil and gas rather than consume it themselves. Of course the price of this was higher living cost in Denmark and energy intensive industries being less competitive, but as Danish industry is dominated by light industry and middle sized companies this was a smaller problem for Denmark than for countries dominated by heavy industries and large companies, but Denmark still had some of these kind of companies and many either disappeared or outsourced their production.

Canada did several studies on tidal power in the Bay of Fundy and found three good locations which weren't too cost prohibitive and would've produced 4-5 GW
Yeah, there is nothing cheap or easy about trying to produce tidal power. Tidal conditions vary widely from place to place and the Bay of Fundy has some particular challenges. Specifically the tides are so powerful that they carry unbelievable amounts of silt in solution. This sometimes takes the form of car sized rocks being moved around near the sea bed but more often provides a near constant sand blasting effect. It’s part of the reason that a steady stream of companies have gone bankrupt trying to build in stream turbines for the Fundy basin. It’s only recently that a level of success has been achieved.

In the 70’s they were looking at barrages on tidal rivers. They ended up building one in Annapolis Royal in the early 80’s. It allows water to flow into the river up to high tide, then captures it to release at low tide. At Annapolis it gets about 10 hours of production time per day. They are massive projects, with pretty high environmental effects on the river ecosystem, and economic viability is limited to only a few sites. The recent proliferation of tidal has much to do with the development of in stream turbines. Which depended on advances in material science.

To make it much more interesting, I'll add that:

I'm not sure why you have Gore being President instead of Clinton's second term, but in my opinion if you had Gore in office on 9/11 instead of Bush, we would be much further along with renewables than where we are now. Just my $0.02 and I'll stop here because I don't want to get too close to current events / editorializing.

The Arab Oil boycott did cause the breakthrough in renewable energy, it just took decades afterward. Denmark was one of the pioneers in wind power and that was very much caused by Denmark being heavily hit by the 1979 Oil Crisis, the problem that truly competitive wind power only really got a breakthrough in the late 00s.
How plausible would it have been to initiate the breakthrough in renewable energy and alternative fuels earlier after Suez?

One of the reasons why the Arab oil embargo failed was the threat renewable posed to the oil market.
OPEC realized that the United States could hold out indefinitely and destroy their economies.
The reason it ended was that the Saudis quickly learned that if they don't sell their oil to the West they don't eat. It didn't help that it spurred the exploration of North sea oil, Alaskan oil, Mexican gulf oil places that were not commercially viable until the embargo raised the price of oil.

With respect OP, this is almost ASBish.
The renewables replacing oil fantasy’s requires almost for the laws of physics to be changed. Except for nuclear, none have the energy density of fossil fuels.

(And renewable is not necessarily green, wood is renewable)

And the Israel Optimus Maximus postulated, is even more unlikely.
Well, this is political, but not alien space bat. If US and Israeli politics treated total nuclear as an absolute necessity, crushing all unnecessary regulatory burdens and crushing lawyers shaking down this large investment in physical capital, sure, we'd go nuclear. If they stopped supporting the long con of green energy it would help.

How plausible would it have been to initiate the breakthrough in renewable energy and alternative fuels earlier after Suez?

I think nuclear is more likely at that point. The oil crisis in OTL hit at a time, where there was great distrust of nuclear power, if it had hit earlier we would likely have seen Western Europe looking like France energy-wise.