April 1942 Alternate Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel your pain...it's 37 degrees right now in mid-Mississippi and I feel like I was back in Chunchon....

Hi folks, welcome to winter, it has finally arrived. Here in Central Il., it is 0Fwith a windchill of -7F. Which beats last night's -8and -27 wind chill.

Driftless

Donor
Over the weekend, I was up in north central Minnesota visiting family. It hit -21 up there on Christmas morning - but no wind... I was thankful it was that mild.... Back in my end of Wisconsin it's -5, much like Slorek notes.

Long ago, when I worked in the Twin Cities, I called on a Tucson, AZ based counterpart early one January morning. She asked about the weather, and I said something like: "Classic Minnesota January day. Clear as a bell skies, no wind and it's -20 degrees; it's pretty decent, all things considered". There was dead silence on the other end of the line for a few seconds, before my compatriot breathed out "Jeeeesusss Christ!....." in a horrified note.

Got it pretty good here in "The land that time forgot" (a small village in southern Ohio, noted for, well, nothing) as its nice 11F, with light winds. Many are either bitching or freaking out, I'm just enjoying watching my bird feeders. At least I'm not at sea with the weather like this!

Probably banned for life. Wife and I are on beach 20 km north of Tulum. Water temperature is 81. Son and family arrive today with 3 and 5 year old grandsons. What do you call a group of 3 to 5 year old boys? The answer is: a migraine of boys.

Driftless

Donor
Probably banned for life. Wife and I are on beach 20 km north of Tulum. Water temperature is 81. Son and family arrive today with 3 and 5 year old grandsons. What do you call a group of 3 to 5 year old boys? The answer is: a migraine of boys.

:openedeyewink: At least you don't have to spend hours cramming them into and out of cold weather gear for five minutes of play outside - then lather, rinse, repeat.....

I envy you.... No budget this year for a winter trip to warmer climates.

I wasn't complaining about Wisconsin, love 4 seasons. Biking in decent weather, snowshoeing in the winter although ice fishing is definitely not my thing. Been through major cat 5 hurricanes in Louisiana, much prefer blizzards. Key to the cold weather is dressing properly...

Sadly when 173rd's grandkids go to take their kids (let alone their grandkids) on that same Mexican vacation, they will find the beaches they played on only accessible by SCUBA gear, and the Gulf Coast and part of the East Coast will be looking at a hurricane season that is much longer and worse...

Wicked wicked man. Although I live in the tropics myself.

Redbeard

Banned
Over on this side of the pond it has so far mainly been wet and windy and although I know I should appreciate the rain disappearing by itself down into the sewer and not to be driven away in trucks as snow - I must admit - I miss some real winter. Clear frost and newly fallen snow - the perfect weather for hunting Wild Boar :)

Come over to the States Redbeard, they are in invasive species here, and farmers very much want them gone. I hope to try my hand at it next year.

I wasn't complaining about Wisconsin, love 4 seasons. Biking in decent weather, snowshoeing in the winter although ice fishing is definitely not my thing. Been through major cat 5 hurricanes in Louisiana, much prefer blizzards. Key to the cold weather is dressing properly...

Sadly when 173rd's grandkids go to take their kids (let alone their grandkids) on that same Mexican vacation, they will find the beaches they played on only accessible by SCUBA gear, and the Gulf Coast and part of the East Coast will be looking at a hurricane season that is much longer and worse...
Would not take much rise to engulf the Mayan Riveria.

nine meter rise in sea level has entire coast of Yucatán moved back 20 km. Some spots like Tulum ruinas will be an island

There's a touch of Captain Nemo in the historic stop at Kerguelen. Life imitates art sometimes....

G'day Folks;

Have been off indulging in other forms of alt. hist. and have gotten a bit behind on this thread.

Kerguelan is a bit of a distance from the Galapagos, but the environment is somewhat similar, so it brings to mind C.S. Forester's "Brown on Resolution", 1929, and the two films "Brown on Resolution" 1935 / "Sailor of the King" 1953.

Are we going to see Able Seaman Zheng, long lost son of the Admiral, ashore on Kurguelan, holding up the Japanese, until the arrival HMS Warspite ??

Last edited:
Can't resist jumping in, "tongue in cheek" here:

Down in the lower antipodes (Geelong, Victoria, Australia), today is going for 25c, as is New Year's Day, Tuesday / Wednesday 23C, leading up to 30C next Saturday, which is sort of normal for this time of year.

But then we have had days of 46.5, on occasion,
(Black Saturday 2009) so I can empathize with the Californians.

For those using archaic terms of measurement, 25C is 77F / 23 - 73.4 / 3 0 - 86 / 46.5 - 115.7

Driftless

Donor
Can't resist jumping in, "tongue in cheek" here:

Down in the lower antipodes (Geelong, Victoria, Australia), today is going for 25c, as is New Year's Day, Tuesday / Wednesday 23C, leading up to 30C next Saturday, which is sort of normal for this time of year.

But then we have had days of 46.5, on occasion,
(Black Saturday 2009) so I can empathize with the Californians.

For those using archaic terms of measurement, 25C is 77F / 23 - 73.4 / 3 0 - 86 / 46.5 - 115.7

Ohhh, go ahead and rub it in.... :D

-11F/-24C here this morning. I'm about to bundle up to go clear a couple inches of snow off my driveway. Not an onerous task, but also not much fun on a day like today. No wind at any rate (the force multiplier...) When that chore is done, I'll reward myself for being a good boy and fire up a nice hot breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, sourdough toast, and coffee.

(Centigrade and Metric System measurements just make so much more sense than Farenheit and the Imperial System)

Status
Not open for further replies.