anangrycelt.rumblr.isle - A Blog

AHA! I wondered when that thought would cross people's minds...

Yay, I win! :D

I thought of 1984, to be honest. You can believe nothing anyone says in that book; even Goldstein's book turns out to be written by the Party.

That, and if Angry Celt has the mentality of some Tumblr blogs I've seen, he may be very far removed from reality indeed.

I have reason to believe that Wyman isn't as bad as he is portrayed.

06/06/08

Guys!

I can’t really decide if this is good news or bad but take it as you will. Imperial-Jorvik[1] Munitions are the Isle’s biggest weapons manufacturer and one of the biggest in the world, producing the ever famous Phalanx L-6, the most widespread rifle in human history;

British_FN_FAL_small.jpg

The company supply all of the arms for the Imperial Army and prop up the whole Ænglic industry, from the steel works to the old mines, it all leads straight into I.J.K. Anyway, I.J.M. have been a huge innovator for years, especially in the field of ballistics. In The Bitter War they developed the worlds first rockets which were used first in decisive action during The Endwar and later, more positively, to put man on the moon in the first European Commonwealth Space Mission. However, with the dawning of the nuclear age, ICBM’s shaped the Great Game and modern politics as a whole. Since I.J.M. built Nukes for the Empire, in turn North Columbia, Inca and Hindustan responded in kind, Russia and Jurchen were not far behind. Nukes were the trump card, you can’t get around a nuke and hell, thats why The Great Game never burst into “Endwar II: Electric Boogaloo”. Since 1955, every government has been looking for a way to rip up these trump cards and finally, after years of work, I.J.M have finally goddamn done it. Premiering yesterday and after 15 years of development, the “Longclaw Antimissile System”, or Las, was announced to the public. With plans not only to install it around the Isles and in the rest of both the Colonial League and the P.D.T., it’s also going to be installed on many of the ships in the Imperial Navy. This changed everything, to be frank, but quite worryingly it makes large scale war between major powers feasible (read; non-apocalyptic) again. Las works on rail-gun technology, paired with a laser tracking and aiming system it takes out incoming missiles miles before they reach their desination and send them tumbling harmlessly toward the ground, their payload left untouched.

THAAD-Launch.jpg

This is going to change things on the world stage, forever. Other governments are going to scramble to develop similar technologies and suddenly nukes are half-useless. With elections coming up this gives a real boon to the Progressive Government and might sway the voters, especially the military crowd, which they’ve lost almost entirely since they banned handguns back in ‘94. Not forgetting how big a scientific innovation, functioning rail-guns? That huge, thats goddamn scifi! I think this is gonna usher in a whole new age of science and, less positively, war.
Anyway, how do you guys think this’ll shake things up? Leave comments below! I’ll be back on in a few days for the election”

-----------------------------
[1]Traditional Danish/Saxon name for York

Just a little update, I have exams so they might be a bit shorter for a bit. :/

Wait, Electric Boogaloo exists in this timeline? Some things never change. :p

Since you mention a "Great Game", how are nukes used in combat? Are the world leaders like Gandhi in a Civilization game? Or are nukes a deterrent after the "Endwar" like OTL Cold War? (Angry Celt seems to be hinting at the latter)

Last edited:
Neat past couple of updates; I guess we'll have to take things from the Angry Celt with a bit of a grain of salt. Well, except for the last one anyway, tech being fairly hard to "slant" or "spin" :p.

VALKYRIE: RISING REVIEW

Well, its been a couple years since the last Valkyrie game came out and I think we all know why, “Retribution” was a hugely generic shooter that pretty much killed the franchise for a c ouple years by trying to take it out of the wartime setting and into the 21st century, losing all of the identity that the series had built. ‘Rising’ is a sort of best of both worlds, moving the action from the Bitter War into the Endwar, bringing with it our classic hero; Eoin Brayson, who was sadly left out of “Retribution”, returns explosively and is more ridiculous than ever. Bringing “Retribution” into the 50’s allows Eoin to experiment with some more outragous guns, including homing rockets, bigger machine guns and more impressive vehicles, such as the experimental jets of the Imperial Flight Corps or even a few rocket powered ships.

wolfenstein-new-order-2.jpg

Eoin helping a fellow soldier up

The game starts with a daring raid into Columbia City, where Eoin tears through hoards of Supremacists in a pleasingly ridiculous fashion. Each of Eoin’s weapons have a very staisfying feel, packing a real punch and with a huge variety, from good old Bryton Revolvers (expanded to ludicrous size) to Lightning Gun you can use to cause a chain reaction. It’s amazingly silly and amazingly fun. Obviously, your attack on the capitol is ludicrous and far separated from the reality but fuck is it fun. Anyway, the attack fails of course and your teams is scattered to the four winds of the continent. Eoin then travels to each of these four winds, finding his old team and recruiting new members to try again. This is where it all picks up, the games journey through Columbia and then south into the warzones of Setterland and Dixie, even taking quick foray back over the pacific into Iberia to meet up with some old friends.

Wolfenstein-the-new-order_MG60.jpg

One of the Game's more creative weapons...

This journey allows the game to get considerably more sombre, seeing the upbeat “plastic”[1] lives of the Columbian population before viewing the horror of the occupied regions, all the characters are balanced and interesting with one of your closest companions being a Columbian national, a member of the Supremacist government who defects and becomes your closest ally, silly accent and all. The story is able to stay serious without losing the ever sarcastic tone that defines the games and their protagonist. A fantastic romp with immersive game play and responsive controls, not to mention some of the best AI I’ve seen in years, with coindinated tactics betweens each enemy and advance moves including flanking, combined arms and more.
All together, Rising is an explosive return to form for the franchise and is defnintely my favourite game of the year, I recommend it to anyone out-there who’s a fan of shooters. A word of warning to my history buff readers, whislt many of the details are spot on, it takes the tongue-in-cheek peusdo-historical style of Tarinov's films, ie. Glorious F*ckers.[2]

6.5/7

----------------
[1] Think this; 1950's America
[2] You can probably guess this one...

Hey guys! I know it's been a couple days and sorry for the lack of update but life happened and so did exams :/. Should be back onto a fairly regular update pattern now, so expect daily. This is shorter than most as I've had to cut it slightly short, bigger one tomorrow, I promise.
Also, to clear up something from earlier; the blog isn't necessarily a government tool but nevertheless; you can consider me a flawed narrator.

You know this is an alternate history when the review score is based on 7. :)

Also, what kind of "silly accent" do Columbians have? I'm guessing it's meant to be a spoof on the Southern U.S. accent, but I can't be too sure.

(The Capitol accent in the Hunger Games books sounded like a Valley Girl accent to me based on the description in the narration)

In my mind, due to the history of the region, the Columbian accent is something South African sounding, which might tell you something about their heritage...

*Ponders for a moment*

South African accent. . .Afrikaners. . .Dutch? :)

Or, y'know, just straight Anglo-Saxon/Anglo-Dutch. Think about it, the South African accent is essentially a hybrid of an Australian (with their roots in eastern England...as per the map on the first page) and Dutch (indicative *HERE* of possible greater Low Country influence on the tongue, due to its North Sea location). I could see the Aenglisc language evolving in such a manner to OTL ears. Then again, maybe there's a cross-influence between Aenglisc and *Dutch settlers in Columbia that sees a lot of sharing of influences and/or vocabulary (as an aside, it should be noted that Afrikaans had a huge bunch of Native African, Portuguese and Malay influence on the tongue, not just Dutch and English).

Anyway, nice update Angry Celt. The game does indeed look pretty interesting, and the graphics certainly impress this player (YMMV of course).

I'm still waiting for Angry Celt's character to gradually turn out to be a kooky conspiracy theorist. Imagine if someone from another timeline got all of their information about OTL from a Holocaust denier or a Truther or a member of Abovetopsecret or something. . .

Thanks for the information on the South African accent! I don't study that country all that much personally.

Last edited:
Wow,

Well the elections have shuddered to a close and with them, so have the hopes of the Progressive Party. The Federalists have made massive gains and it looks like they’ll be dominating Islander politics for the next couple years. For those outside of the loop, we just has the Colonial League Elections, which determine the make up of the Colonial Council; who form the ruling body of the League, setting up trade laws, regulating the Imperial Groat and administrating all the other branches of the League. The League itself set up to regulate the independence of the various “Free Kingdoms” that were born from the Islander Empire, following the decolonisation of the 1920’s and 30’s and progressed to be a (fairly) equal group that share a military alliance, Currency, a passport union and lot’s of other lovely stuff, the group is supported by (most) of the bug parties in The Isles and most of the participant nations but the Federalists and Nationalists[1], in The Isles and Setterland respectively, have been making huge gains and have been rapidly shifting the power away from the Progressives.

oFJUrju.png

The Nations of the League, with the Isles in Dark Green and the other members in Lighter Green.

Now, these elections don’t change anything in the Parliament of the Isles, just in the international parliament and local councils but we’ve seen huge Federalist gains here in Brytan and I really think that Gwenyth Mildaugh and the entirely of the Progressive/Industrialist Coalition is just gone. Overall, the Federalists carried over 35% of the vote, up from just 8% last year and with the Generals coming up next year, I think they’re going to take it and we could easily see Mr Thomas Johansson taking the Chancellor’s seat. The man is smarter and more charismatic than anyone opposing him and that worries me. I try not to get involved in politics but that has been going out of the window more and more lately so I’m tempted to just ditch that rule and speak up about this stuff. Frankly, I don’t see how increased Federalisation can help anyone and might well lead to the complete collapse of the nation. We already have SIX devolved parliaments, giving them more and more power cannot be useful, can it? The economy is doing great underneath the Progressives and we’re facing more and more political challenges, we need a strong leadership to do that. If you ask me we need to be going in the other direction, only the Industrialists are pushing in that direction and they’re crumbling away damn quickly, we need to reduce the powers of the devolved parliaments and give it back to the Assembly and the Imperial Council. I was actually pretty amazed that no-one was doing this, and then I realised that someone was.

KPs7MSg.png

Unity Party Logo

I was going to vote online when I saw a party I hadn’t heard of before on the list; The Unity Party I gave them a look up and they have some fantastic policies, increased centralisation, readdressing tax brackets to tax the rich more and the poor less, renationalising many of the Ex-National Industries we lost in the past two decades, shifting our economic and defensive obligations from the P.D.T.[2] to the European Commonwealth and Colonial League. Now, to be clear, they’re just a little local in the West and they’ve only got 500 members but they stood for three seats, so I voted for them and I started talking to people about them and well; they won my local council. Its weird, because Oxbridge[3] and the surrounding area have always been pretty damn Traditionalist, we’re the monarchist heartland, but it’s cool to see a different party getting some billing. Those of you who read my column in The Informer might have seen my piece on them yesterday, I think they could be big. You know, I think I might join...

By the way, quick little side note, people apparently have no idea what Albion is. The Official Name of the Isles is: "The Grand Imperial Union of Albion and her Isles", you can see why we shorten it to "The Isles."

-----------------------------
[1]Not right wing Nationalists, think SNP
[2]Pacific Defence Treaty - Think Nato
[3]Oxford, named diffrently, partially due to the inspiration of carpediem and also; I like allusion :)