An ever so slightly different constitution

Some random internet wanderings have led me to a query, which may simply be rooted in my ignorance of early American electoral politics.

Anyway, my question is, what if the clause in Article 1 Section 9 of the constitution that says the slave trade can't be abolished for 20 years is changed to can't be abolished ever (in OTL the trade was abolished almost as soon as the clause expired) Is this doable without divine intervention? If so, what does this mean for the American economy and demographics? Does it push back the whole abolition movement? And what would be the effects of a still slave trading America and a moral crusading Royal Navy that was taking unilateral action to stop it?

Some random internet wanderings have led me to a query, which may simply be rooted in my ignorance of early American electoral politics.

Anyway, my question is, what if the clause in Article 1 Section 9 of the constitution that says the slave trade can't be abolished for 20 years is changed to can't be abolished ever (in OTL the trade was abolished almost as soon as the clause expired) Is this doable without divine intervention? If so, what does this mean for the American economy and demographics? Does it push back the whole abolition movement? And what would be the effects of a still slave trading America and a moral crusading Royal Navy that was taking unilateral action to stop it?

Actually the bit you want to change is not only in Article 1 but also in Article 5 dealing with Constitutional Amendments which prevents any amendment to the slavery provisions in the Constitution for the same period.

It would almost certainly lead to conflict if not outright war with the British (at sea at least) and very probably a War of Northern Secession

jahenders

Banned
This is probably one of those things that would prevent ratification of the constitution.

If this did, somehow, occur, it would push back abolition as they'd have to fight for stopping the slave trade first before they could even work on freeing anyone. It could potentially lead to conflicts with Europe since we might be trying to trade for slaves in areas they're trying to use for other stuff and in which they've denied themselves slave trade.

While the Brits were not nearly as abolitionist at the time of the Constitution as they later became, it was clear which way the wind was blowing. Kicking it down the road for 20 years was a reasonable compromise. They could then, at that time, see how the political situation both within the States and around the world had developed and pass appropriate laws then.

So. No. That's not a 'slightly' different Constitution, I don't think, it's a very different one. The Founding Fathers were very bright men and had a very good grasp of both political theory AND of political practicality. They wouldn't have boxed themselves in that way.

I think it's marginally more likely that such a clause doesn't appear at all, than that it be permanent.

I don't think that would fly under OTL circumstances, TBH. It may be true that some of the Founders were planters, but pro-slavery sentiment was hardly prominent in the immediate post-Revolution era; in fact, some of even the planters had hoped to transition out of slavery at some point.

It would very likely require a far different Revolution than what had occurred in OTL; maybe you could try getting the abolition movement to take off far earlier than it did IOTL, and perhaps come up with a British John Brown or two, but that might be rather difficult.