An Alt. Star Wars poll

Who should play Grand Admiral Thrawn in an Alt. Star Wars sequel trilogy?

• Total voters
I'm working on an alternate version of Star Wars where George Lucas really did plan out the entire six films from the beginning. This would allow the sequel trilogy to be produce in the 1996-2002 range. So, if Episode VII-IX were based on Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy who plays the Grand Admiral himself?

There are quite a few Bond actors in that poll, and I have to say having tried to write him for fanfiction purposes, he isn't an action hero, or a romantic lead.

He's an outsider, a highly intelligent one, who is trying to make up with raw brainpower what he is missing by being from the far beyond. He is not a sociologist, and knows little and cares nothing about the ethno-cultural context of his actions- look at what brings him down in the end.

Basically, you're not looking for James Bond here, you're looking for Cardinal Richelieu. Except that Heston might be a bit past it by then...

For that time period, the first thought that comes to mind is James Gandolfini. He may not look the part- too physically chunky, going by the book cover art- but he could certainly act the part.

I would love to see Liam Nesson as Thrawn .Personally I love those books and think that almost any other expanded universe book ,comic and game is rubbish .And I hope that the new movie does not make it to were the books never happened as I fell they are a far better story than some of the movies (I ,II and maybe III )
But also I think that his character was one of the few good things about PM and think it would be awesome to see someone who played a character in a Star Wars movie play another even more awesome one in an Alternate History .
Also I found this a little while ago

8e3b96a7940222ee15eb42fd53d5c230.jpg
I want to see this movie !Thrawn is played by Benedict Cumberbatch !He would be so much better suited to play Thrawn than he was at Khan .
Admit it it would be so cool to see this movie

8e3b96a7940222ee15eb42fd53d5c230.jpg

Last edited:
Alan Rickman as Thrawn? I like it. He's always played bad guys with a bit of class. (Die Hard and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves). Now, who would be good to play the part of Mara Jade?

There are quite a few Bond actors in that poll, and I have to say having tried to write him for fanfiction purposes, he isn't an action hero, or a romantic lead.

He's an outsider, a highly intelligent one, who is trying to make up with raw brainpower what he is missing by being from the far beyond. He is not a sociologist, and knows little and cares nothing about the ethno-cultural context of his actions- look at what brings him down in the end.

Basically, you're not looking for James Bond here, you're looking for Cardinal Richelieu. Except that Heston might be a bit past it by then...

For that time period, the first thought that comes to mind is James Gandolfini. He may not look the part- too physically chunky, going by the book cover art- but he could certainly act the part.
Going purely from an acting standpoint, yes James Gandolfini would do a great job. As for the bond actors, I didn't pick them because they were Bond actors; I was trying to imagine their voice reading Thrawn's dialogue, and picturing them in the make-up and costume.

Also I found this a little while ago

View attachment 267621
I want to see this movie !Thrawn is played by Benedict Cumberbatch !He would be so much better suited to play Thrawn than he was at Khan .
That would be awesome, but in 1996 he would've been too young for the role. As far as ST:ID goes, I can at least see what they were trying to do, but I would've preferred either Benicio Del Toro or Raza Jaffrey as Kahn.

Alan Rickman as Thrawn? I like it. He's always played bad guys with a bit of class. (Die Hard and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves). Now, who would be good to play the part of Mara Jade?
Mara Jade? Picture Demi Moore circa Striptease or J. I. Jane with appropriately red hair.:D

I could totally see Bronson for the role. Also Dalton if you want to be a bit more gritty.

Liam I think is a little over played here.

What about Ralph Fiennes ?

I could totally see Bronson for the role. Also Dalton if you want to be a bit more gritty.

Liam I think is a little over played here.

What about Ralph Fiennes ?
Another good choice that I'd mysteriously overlooked. Perhaps the butterflies in my head wanted him keep the role of Steed in a much better (i.e. GOOD) version The Avengers (the British spy series, not to be confused with the superhero franchise).:p:D
somehow it had completely escaped me that Neeson was already in the series, which is especially crazy since Qui-gon is where i first recognized his awesomeness :p
Yes, whatever strikes Episode I has against it, it's the first movie I ever saw Liam Neeson in. One of the other reasons that I thought of him for the role: the Grand Admiral does have "a very particular set of skills", and it would be wise not to piss him off.:D

Okay you two guys just made me feel real old. (and I'm only 36)

With Fiennes in this no way does he star in Harry Potter.

Jason Isaacs or Pierce Brosnan - they're the only two I could envisage as Thrawn and I ended choosing Isaacs.

Cumberbatch just isn't Thrawn. To me, Thrawn should look somewhat chiseled and more manly than Cumberbatch.

Philip Seymour Hoffman. Based on his excellent work in MI:III (and basically everything) he would nail it. Who cares what Thrawn looks like? lol.

Idris Elba would be fantastic, but unlikely to be cast in that time period I imagine plus too young.

Benedict Cumberbatch struck me as a good fit also, he's kinda weird but has an aura of intelligence. Also since most Imperials seem to be British, he's a good pick :p