An Age of Miracles III: The Romans Endure

I don't get this obsession with the American colonies, especially for Russia. How does the existance on Russian colonies on the American continent make them somehow a bigger and more important power.
What's more interesting to me is how different TTL Russia will become when it comes to it's society and government, with the potential of having larger population inside OTL Russia's borders alone, not to mention anything other they can gain.

I don't get this obsession with the American colonies, especially for Russia. How does the existance on Russian colonies on the American continent make them somehow a bigger and more important power.
What's more interesting to me is how different TTL Russia will become when it comes to it's society and government, with the potential of having larger population inside OTL Russia's borders alone, not to mention anything other they can gain.
I short of suspect Japan will be the 800 pound gorilla in the Pacific TTL.

As someone has stated prevously before, the Orthodox sphere can't be united for much longer. Sure when Orthodoxy was being pushed to the brink it made sense, but now both the Roman Empire and Russia are competing Great powers that have different ideas on how things should be run. Russia should want Crimea, as it is strategicaly very important to have. Meanwhile Rhomania is very arrogant in its place as number 1 Orthodox power, which frustrates both Georgia and Russia. I expect some kind of war between Russian and Rhomania soon, with Georgia going to Russia's sphere. The Romans need to understand that they are no longer the rulers of the world and have to have some consideration for other Great Powers

As someone has stated prevously before, the Orthodox sphere can't be united for much longer. Sure when Orthodoxy was being pushed to the brink it made sense, but now both the Roman Empire and Russia are competing Great powers that have different ideas on how things should be run. Russia should want Crimea, as it is strategicaly very important to have.
What different ideas? And if they do have different ideas, how do they escalate beyond the point of diplomacy and negotiation?
And how is Crimea strategically important when Russia already has other warm water ports, the entire Black Sea and Eastern Mediterranean is already under friendly control, and it is specifically a firm friendship that has stood for over half a millennium?
This isn't a Russia facing frequent Ottoman invasions and hostile control of the Bosporus. You can't just declare something to be strategically important just because it was IOTL.

Meanwhile Rhomania is very arrogant in its place as number 1 Orthodox power, which frustrates both Georgia and Russia. I expect some kind of war between Russian and Rhomania soon, with Georgia going to Russia's sphere. The Romans need to understand that they are no longer the rulers of the world and have to have some consideration for other Great Powers
What arrogance? They haven't tried to enforce any sort of primacy among the Orthodox in centuries now. While their attitude towards the Latins has continued to be arrogant, the only Orthodox nations that have been receiving anything of the sort are the Georgians and Vlach and that has been a much lesser form.

Last edited:
I second this. Crimea is not strategic for Russia. Rhomania is not an hostile power, granted they are going to take a while to understand that they're going to become the junior partner in the relationship, but that's not ground for war. Probably Russia and Rhomania are on a USA-UK trajectory.

What different ideas? And if they do have different ideas, how do they escalate beyond the point of diplomacy and negotiation?
And how is Crimea strategically important when Russia already has other warm water ports, the entire Black Sea and Eastern Mediterranean is already under friendly control, and it is specifically a firm friendship that has stood for over half a millennium?
This isn't a Russia facing frequent Ottoman invasions and hostile control of the Bosporus. You can't just declare something to be strategically important just because it was IOTL.

What arrogance? They haven't tried to enforce any sort of primacy among the Orthodox in centuries now. While their attitude towards the Latins has continued to be arrogant, the only Orthodox nations that have been receiving anything of the sort are the Georgians and Vlach and that has been a much lesser form.
1. Russia seems to have Republican ideas and while it is a Monarchy, as far as I am aware it is a lot less in control than OTL Russian Emperor. Basileus stated that he wants an evil democracy at some point as a kind of twist on OTL(maybe that's no longer cannon idk) and I am almost certain it's going to be Russia.

2. You can't point to a single alliance in human history where two Great powers that border each other where part of for over 500 years. They will inevitably have some issue with one another, the only reason it hasn't happened is because Russia was split a into a bunch of smaller states.

3. If it isn't Crimea, it's ideology, if not that, then a stupid Emperor from either side trying to assert dominion over the other Orthodox states. Or taking the opposite side in some European dispute. Or a World War. I will however say, I may be completely wrong about Crimea and it's not as important as I think it is.

4 Georgia and Vlachia are fine with it, because they are the best option they have stuck between bigger powers. I have never said they would be outright hostile, but once Russia becomes stronger they will jump ship for a more stable state. Rhomania every 3 generations needs at least 1 civil war which isn't good for neighbouring states looking for stability.
This became a bit too long, damn

That's the point, they beat Spain and Triunes in Asia. It is not viable either in the short or long term. The Roman navy is primarily Mediterranean, not Oceanic. It makes more sense that Ethiopia has these lands than the Romans. The first time they have a problem at home, these regions will be abandoned or placed as a secondary priority. Which allows either the natives to gain independence or other European powers to return.
Have you been reading the story? The Roman East Indies has been around for more than one and a half centuries by this point. They are functionally autonomous with their own fleets which are decidedly not Mediterranean designed. Ethiopia is more or less a friendly power which won't block access through the Bab-el-Mandeb in most cases. The REI is also fairly self-sufficient in terms of defense, as they did show by beating back the Spanish largely by using local resources. The Romans have largely treated the natives with respect and melded them into a larger Roman identity. So I don't see why they would be seeking independence.
They're too far gone to really force anything, so it makes sense. But that's a double-edged sword, the moment the natives get mad at them, say goodbye to the region.
I don't see the logic in forcing anything. The status quo has been serving well to everyone.
yes, which in my opinion in the long run will create a new strand of Christianity. And will probably want to invade Korea (it's the most logical thing to do)
Divergences in faith are a given, and not necessarily anathema to the Orthodox Church given their history of autocephalous churches. About Korea, any such invasion will be long in the future, if ever, as a cohesive China deters any such attempts.

1. Russia seems to have Republican ideas and while it is a Monarchy, as far as I am aware it is a lot less in control than OTL Russian Emperor. Basileus stated that he wants an evil democracy at some point as a kind of twist on OTL(maybe that's no longer cannon idk) and I am almost certain it's going to be Russia.
Why Russia? The impression I had was that it was going to be the US analogue. I understand that a lot of this is likely to be changed, but note the Axis was the Rhomania, the UK, and Germany with Russian support. They appear to be fighting China, the US, and Spain.

from the first thread
The year of 1907 had not been kind to Chancellor Hans Spee. Since Spanish forces had crossed the Rhine, he had lost over twenty pounds and had yet to have more than five uninterrupted hours of sleep as crisis after crisis flooded Germany and the United Kingdom. Even as Chinese ‘Long Lance’ torpedoes struck Battleship Row, the sky was dark for the German Empire. Spanish divisions were still encamped in the burned out city of Hanover, and the battleship KMS Friedrich der Grosse had been sunk by the United States navy off of Brest just thirty six hours earlier.

Yet that did not matter to Hans Spee; he did not see the storm clouds still gathered overhead, but the thin small ray of light on the horizon. Five weeks later, when asked about that night after he had received the news, he replied that he had gone to bed and ‘slept the sleep of the saved and redeemed’.

Twenty six hours after the Roman declaration of war, the Roman Empire formally joined the Axis powers. And three days later, Russia took its first step towards becoming the Arsenal of Freedom, as the Veche passed “An Act to Further Promote the Defense of the Russian Empire,” whereby military supplies were to be loaned to the United Kingdom, Germany, and the Roman Empire.

Why Russia? The impression I had was that it was going to be the US analogue. I understand that a lot of this is likely to be changed, but note the Axis was the Rhomania, the UK, and Germany with Russian support. They appear to be fighting China, the US, and Spain.

from the first thread

I think that B444 has stated that's not canon (anymore or never was), although I agree he never hinted for a "evil arc" for Russia (if I'm not mistaken the very opposite it's true, giving it a better image future TTL than OTL).

I feel like the "evil" country will be the Triune American colony. The update when Leo kalomeros was running around the carribean mentioned them having extreme hatred for native Americans and Mexicans plus they seemed like super religious fanatics in some areas as well. Also saw someone mention serfdom as a potential block to russian immigration to America but remember this Russia doesn't have serfdom. With russia and Rome having a conflict I doubt it would be about crimea. I suspect the Russians will develop an extreme distate for the state and plight of the vlach people who have become basically serfs so the ruling class can make money feeding the agean, they'll probably back an uprising when the people have enough (we've already seen their actions I'm germany ttl) while the Romans will back status quo to secure food supply, expect the Romans to lose here and be the kind of thing that finally shows them they're no longer top dog in Europe.

There was a future snippet posted in the last thread from the perspective of a Triune American historian. If that was representative of what Triune Americans become, then the North American natives are going to be gone by the time 1900 rolls around.

I feel like the "evil" country will be the Triune American colony. The update when Leo kalomeros was running around the carribean mentioned them having extreme hatred for native Americans and Mexicans plus they seemed like super religious fanatics in some areas as well. Also saw someone mention serfdom as a potential block to russian immigration to America but remember this Russia doesn't have serfdom. With russia and Rome having a conflict I doubt it would be about crimea. I suspect the Russians will develop an extreme distate for the state and plight of the vlach people who have become basically serfs so the ruling class can make money feeding the agean, they'll probably back an uprising when the people have enough (we've already seen their actions I'm germany ttl) while the Romans will back status quo to secure food supply, expect the Romans to lose here and be the kind of thing that finally shows them they're no longer top dog in Europe.
so just this timelines USA lol

I think you mislabeled one of these factions, they're both going for the Tourmarches.

Thanks for catching this; it’s fixed now. The Anatolikon and Syria are for Sophia.

Is there any precedent in history for a wife to lead a rebellion against her husband like this? If not then that might itself lend credence to the claims of incapacity.

Eleanor of Aquitaine? And there's Catherine the Great who deposed her husband to rule an empire she had no claim to whatever. Of course the latter hasn't happened TTL yet (I'll be very disappointed if no analogue of Sophie of Anhalt-Zerbst turns up).

Catherine the Great got started like this. Her husband was an imbecile who actively sabotaged Russia because he was a fan of Frederick the Great of Prussia, so she led a palace coup against him and took over.

There’s also the example of Isabella ‘the She-Wolf of France’, rebelling against her husband Edward II. He’s a good example of the problem with monarchial favorites, when the monarch has bad taste in favorites.

It was a sad remark. Tragedy can only follow in its wake.

A parliamentary system along the lines of British government seems hard to establish in Rhomania, especially in the short term. It took centuries of conflict and concessions between the nobility and the king to the point where it is today where the monarch is functionally a figurehead. Considering the central position the Emperor is placed in Roman society compared to Britain, I'm not sure if anyone is willing to take away any portion of the Emperor's absolute power for the sake of political stability.

While I've always imagined the modern Roman government to resemble Prussia or the German Empire in some way, where the monarch retains a measure of political power while there remains a strong legislative, judicial, and executive body, that might not be satisfactory for the Romans, given their large distrust of plutocrats (especially under Konon's eyes) and of democracy/republics. Even if the Senate is elevated in the aftermath of the Tourmarches, it should always be subservient to the Emperor.

What's funny is that Konon's idea of a non-hereditary monarchy could be the way to go, where the position is elected based on merit (perhaps among the Senate, but still maintains near absolute power). In a way, we would be going full circle, as the Roman Kingdom millennia ago elected kings from the Senate. It would be absolutely hilarious to see this kind of system be realized in Rhomania, but how that would work for the modern day is going to require a lot of thought to make that government function.

I suppose this civil war is going to hinge on the existing Roman army's success against the Ottomans, which is honestly quite grim. I'm sure the Ottomans will want an alliance with the Loyalists if they are able to reach Sophia, but we will see if that materializes.

At this stage I’m not consciously planning that TTL Rhomania will end up looking like [insert OTL example] here. Earlier in the TL I was thinking the Second Reich might be an exemplar, but now I’m much less sure. I have some concepts for how I want the future modern Roman government to work, but the devil is in the details which I haven’t worked out yet. There will likely be a significant portion of ‘making it up as I go along’, but I tell myself that since that is how history is made IOTL, that makes the TL more realistic.

I’m going to address the geopolitical items topically given the number of people involved at this point.

Terranova (New World)
: If one looked at a map of the OTL Americas in 1660, the idea that the thin English strip on the east coast would dominate the area would seem absurd, when compared to the mass of Spanish possessions. Current political configurations are not guaranteed to stay intact (see early Latin American independence).

Mexico also has some special issues. It is extremely lightly populated for its size; at one point I said that its north Terranovan holdings have a population of 2 million. (IOTL Mexico had about 1 million inhabitants at this time.) Also, it has a stupidly high amount of silver, so the trend is to just use said piles of silver to buy whatever they need rather than go to the effort of building up local industries (whose initial wares would be worse than whatever they can buy from more established places).

Even if uber-Brazil became a great power, it’s far enough that it wouldn’t cramp the development of alt-US. Each can dominate their own continent and become big players before they would start running into each other. And I would note that I have absolutely no plans for alt-US to reach a relative level of superiority over all other powers that it achieved post-1945, much less post-1991. My plan is for a multi-polar world with many great powers, but with noticeable variations among the great powers.

Africa: Outside of the Carthage enclave, I don’t remember what I’ve said about various other European holdings in Northwest Africa. Considering the course of events in the area (longer Al-Andalus, greater political cohesion), I bet there aren’t any existing now, although there may have been some interludes here or there.

The Marinids did some expansion south of the Sahara, the TTL equivalent of the Moroccan expedition that broke Songhai. But trying to control an area with that ocean of sand in the middle is difficult, to put it mildly. As for Ethiopia, they’ve taken Aden and control the Straits, so there’s no reason to push into the interior of Yemen unless one likes being harassed by the Yemeni.

The blue in west-central Africa is the Kingdom of Kongo, which went Coptic ITTL rather than Catholic. It is holding together much better than its OTL version during this time period, which is what is keeping European colonization at bay. (And I would note that the Portuguese colonization in Angola was a hard-fought and bloody business.)

Rhomania-in-the-East: I agree that the Romans have handicaps here compared to the likes of the Triunes, Spanish, and Lotharingians. To use a relatively-recently-coined expression I’ve used a little, the key here is turning Rhomania-in-the-East into Rhomania-of-the-East. Building up local bases of support from people who feel genuinely like fellow Romans, as opposed to colonial subjects, is key. At this point ITTL, this is very much a work in progress.

This, I consider a key difference between the classical Roman Empire and the modern European colonial empires. Provincials of the former could actually become and be accepted as fellow Romans provided they adopted the proper cultural models. Whereas with the latter, the Europeans would make the claim but in reality the response was ‘that’s cute, but you’re still a [insert racial expletive]. I’d put TTL current Rhomania as somewhere in between, but closer to the classical model. The proper cultural model is more exclusionary because it has a key religious component-Orthodoxy-but there aren’t any racial connotations.

Russia in the Far East and Alaska: An obvious way to boost the Russian Far East is for the Russians to get control of the Amur valley, which is a lot easier when the Manchus aren’t also the lords of China. The resulting ‘Russian East’ would be politically Russian but mostly Manchu ethnically. Principalities of Manchuria and Alaska joining the Federal Empire?

I really like the idea of an enduring Russian Alaska, but this Alaska could be comparable to OTL Alaska. If the Russians control the Amur, they’d have an easier time supporting Alaska, but power projection issues still exist, which would limit the possibilities of expansion. (For added weirdness, the Russians could get Kauai as they tried to do IOTL to provide food for Alaska.) Even this buffed-Russia would have a really hard time defending a Russian Oregon from a Mexico or US, but would have the resources to keep holding on to Alaska, especially once gold and oil are discovered.

Ottoman naval power (OTL): I’d argue quite strongly that the Ottomans were a major naval power, at least through the 1500s. Lepanto says hi. After that, it gets a lot more questionable. But for the Ottomans, they were powerful but had a lot on their plate. They were fighting the Habsburgs and Poland to their north and northwest and Safavid Persia in the east, and maintaining a major Mediterranean fleet. The Indian Ocean simply had to take a back seat to these, since a failure on the Indian Ocean is annoying, while failure on the other fronts was potentially existential. (I recommend The Ottoman Age of Exploration for people who want to learn more Ottoman activities, because there was some, in the Red Sea and Indian Ocean.)

I’d also argue that the reason the Romans are able to put more effort into the Indian Ocean and have more success is that, for all their persecution complex, the pressure on them compared to the OTL Ottomans is less. Though there is a lot of fighting with the Latins, it isn’t an absolute constant wave like OTL, where truce and treaties only meant the main armies would stand down while local border forces would keep at it. The Ottomans and Byzantines are rivals who have fought a lot, especially since the start of the 1600s, but there isn’t a ‘you’re a vile heretic’ element that existed between Sunni Ottomans and Shi’a Safavid Persia. If the Romans were fighting as much as the OTL Ottomans were around their metropole frontiers, they wouldn’t have the resources to do much in the Indian Ocean.

Roman-Russian relations and the Orthodox Sphere: With Roman-Russian relations, I feel that I could go in any particular direction and it would be justified. Crimea I don’t see as an automatic deal-breaker, since the situation is completely different from OTL. TTL Kaffa isn’t a slave market that in one year ‘processes’ at least 17,500 slaves (and where do you think those slaves came from?).

If the Russians, for whatever reasons, started looking south, then Roman-Russian relations would break down pretty quickly. But if the Russians prefer to focus on central Asia, or eastern Europe, or the Far East instead, there’s no reason to clash with the Romans. (IOTL the Russians couldn’t, even if they wanted to, ignore the Ottomans and the Crimean Khanate because of the aforementioned slaving.)

Ideology has been mentioned, and also Vlachia (which will be very important later in the century). There is also the matter of how gracefully the Roman leadership can accept that Russia is now the bigger one in the relationship. So there are issues and I don’t wish to minimize them, but I think they can be charted without necessarily exploding.

Roman-Russian relations will fluctuate from time to time, but I don’t think war is guaranteed. They are two great powers that border each other, but really not much. There’s the Roman enclave of Azov (and frankly, I think that does need to go to avoid this issue) and the short land frontier of the Crimea with the mainland.

Probably the greatest fault line in the Orthodox zone would be a Russia expanding in the Far East running into Japan. A powerful expansionist Russia that controls Korea is a clear threat to Japan, even if both countries are Orthodox. And then where does Rhomania go? (This won’t be an issue for at least another century, but it is there.)

‘Evil’ democracy:
so just this timelines USA lol

Hard to dispute that.

[Important Note: Everything I am about to say about far-future events ITTL is provisional and I receive the right to change any and all of it. Until it appears in a proper update, it’s not official.]

I don’t know if these comments are serious, but I like the idea of the US being the ‘evil’ democracy. I want a US that in many ways is actually quite similar to OTL (not identical, but similar), but the story of the US is told from an outside perspective that has absolutely no reason to buy into the self-serving and self-righteous exceptionalism that OTL Americans far too often present (and which personally annoys me, and I am American).

Yes, this US likes to present itself as a champion of democracy but is convinced of its moral superiority and highly racist and militaristic, with its foreign adventures typically designed to serve the interests of corporations like [United Fruit], with human rights and democracy being deployed as a cynical screen. And there’s no Nazi Germany or Stalinist USSR or Maoist China around. Sure, other powers do similar things (because such behavior is hardly unique to one people or nation) but there is no clear unquestionably ‘worse guy’.

Since I’ve been reading a lot about the US in the late 40s and 50s, this is one idea I had. (Again, note the disclaimer.) Imagine a US that where the Progressive Era is seriously neutered, with the Gilded Age continuing strongly. To distract lower-class Terranovans, the elite use racism and imperialism to give those lower-class Terranovans someone to punch down on. But those Romans meanwhile have this ‘controlled capitalism’ with their maximum profit margins and maximum interest rates, and that is just an affront to property rights. Those purples (purps for short) clearly are a menace that must be dealt with… (Again, this is amused speculation on my part, and as far as I’ve gotten with the concept.)

Ideology has been mentioned, and also Vlachia (which will be very important later in the century). There is also the matter of how gracefully the Roman leadership can accept that Russia is now the bigger one in the relationship.
Yep, Vlachia seems like the most obvious flashpoint considering ttl russian ideals. Also happy I seem to be right with my alt-US guess
A powerful expansionist Russia that controls Korea is a clear threat to Japan, even if both countries are Orthodox. And then where does Rhomania go? (This won’t be an issue for at least another century, but it is there.)
I'm really looking forward to Russian policy in Asia down the line cause I think there can be some really interesting stories written. Alternate great game for control in central Asia and northern India between Russia, the Ottomans, China and potentially Vijayanagar? Conflicts over manchuria? And even seeing how Korea plays the Chinese, Japanese and Russians off of each other to ensure their survival.

I love to see where this is going and your thought process. Each action taken will have a lasting consequence, both political and social. And youre just letting the story write itself.

At this stage I’m not consciously planning that TTL Rhomania will end up looking like [insert OTL example] here. Earlier in the TL I was thinking the Second Reich might be an exemplar, but now I’m much less sure. I have some concepts for how I want the future modern Roman government to work, but the devil is in the details which I haven’t worked out yet. There will likely be a significant portion of ‘making it up as I go along’, but I tell myself that since that is how history is made IOTL, that makes the TL more realistic.
Well, this is uncharted territory after all, and making up stuff is part of the appeal of alternate history. There is always time to figure out exactly what kind of model Rhomania will become in the modern age, so I'm sure you and us readers will keep going at it until a solution is found.

I think of this entire process as an archeologist trying to carefully dig and sift through the dirt to find an artifact or a treasure. It's grueling work, but it has its rewards every time it's slowly revealed until we can completely dig it out.

If the Romans were fighting as much as the OTL Ottomans were around their metropole frontiers, they wouldn’t have the resources to do much in the Indian Ocean.
Having a friendly Ethiopia was also a huge benefit for the Romans in terms of power projection in the Indian Ocean. The Ottomans had to compete with Ethiopia and Portugal during the 1500s and subsequently lost their sphere of influence across the Indian Ocean in favor of the Portuguese and other European powers once they lost their naval supremacy.

Ideology has been mentioned, and also Vlachia (which will be very important later in the century). There is also the matter of how gracefully the Roman leadership can accept that Russia is now the bigger one in the relationship. So there are issues and I don’t wish to minimize them, but I think they can be charted without necessarily exploding.
Vlachia really does seem to be the powder keg that will trigger hostilities between Constantinople and Moscow, but it could also be an example of Russia's ascendancy as a great power, in both the Orthodox world and the entire world at large.

I would personally support Russia in freeing Vlachia (if that is their position when the issue comes to it) from Constantinople's yoke, because judging from previous posts pertaining Vlachia, the relationship between Rhomania and Vlachia has the latter resembling more of an abused slave than a supposed ally and brother of Orthodoxy.

Russia in the Far East and Alaska: An obvious way to boost the Russian Far East is for the Russians to get control of the Amur valley, which is a lot easier when the Manchus aren’t also the lords of China. The resulting ‘Russian East’ would be politically Russian but mostly Manchu ethnically. Principalities of Manchuria and Alaska joining the Federal Empire?
Russian expansion of the Amur is most likely a mercy for the Jurchens, considering the current Chinese dynasty. They might make the Dzungar genocide look like a minor slaughter if they ever got to invoke their wrath, so the Jurchen clans might be more receptive of a Russia that'll just leave them alone as long as they pledge fealty to Moscow.

I really like the idea of an enduring Russian Alaska, but this Alaska could be comparable to OTL Alaska. If the Russians control the Amur, they’d have an easier time supporting Alaska, but power projection issues still exist, which would limit the possibilities of expansion. (For added weirdness, the Russians could get Kauai as they tried to do IOTL to provide food for Alaska.) Even this buffed-Russia would have a really hard time defending a Russian Oregon from a Mexico or US, but would have the resources to keep holding on to Alaska, especially once gold and oil are discovered.
Russian Alaska makes some sense and no doubt they might be able to keep it if they're using it as a frontier base to protect themselves from American attack before its rich natural resources are mapped out.

Making it up as you go along might be both the best and the easiest. Predetermining final outcome and railroading the story one way does not feel very "real-life-like" (it's hard to predict every butterfly in advance, given the size and detail of the story). Of course, it can always be nudged in the right direction.

Cryostorm

Donor
I would personally support Russia in freeing Vlachia (if that is their position when the issue comes to it) from Constantinople's yoke, because judging from previous posts pertaining Vlachia, the relationship between Rhomania and Vlachia has the latter resembling more of an abused slave than a supposed ally and brother of Orthodoxy.
It's less abused slave of Constantinople and more that Vlachia has a weak monarchy and strong aristocracy who has decided that serfdom is the best way to rule their inhabitants, and make money. The issue for Constantinople is that while they aren't really fans of the policy it does help feed the empire and Constantinople generally doesn't want to meddle in other Orthodox countries' internal affairs without cause.

Now it would be interesting if this Russia ends up being the big proponent of foreign interventions while Rhomania is one of the chief supporters of national sovereignty.