An Age of Miracles III: The Romans Endure

I believe Pharaoh's Canal in Egypt is still up and running.
Nope, it was recently shut down because of salination issues in the Nile Delta leading to crop failures. The Egyptian government decided the loss of those harvests was more of a problem than the benefits of trade along that canal.

I'm uncertain if a Suez Canal could be built with 1660s technology but it should be a priority for Rhomania. Both for economic benefits of easy eastern trade without the associated salination issues and for the geopolitical benefits of naval power projection into the Indian Ocean to better integrate and cooperate with Rhomania in the East. The construction of such a canal will of course have cascading implications on the wider economic situation in Rhomania (historically it caused the crash of the silk industry in the Levant because cheap Japanese silks out competed local products, best leading to mass Arab emigration to New York, Pittsburgh, and Detroit) but such issues are almost certainly outweighed by the positives for the Rhoman state. Unfortunately, it's located on the territory of Egypt, not Rhomania. So that will need to be negotiated as well once the time comes.

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
Nope, it was recently shut down because of salination issues in the Nile Delta leading to crop failures. The Egyptian government decided the loss of those harvests was more of a problem than the benefits of trade along that canal.

I'm uncertain if a Suez Canal could be built with 1660s technology but it should be a priority for Rhomania. Both for economic benefits of easy eastern trade without the associated salination issues and for the geopolitical benefits of naval power projection into the Indian Ocean to better integrate and cooperate with Rhomania in the East. The construction of such a canal will of course have cascading implications on the wider economic situation in Rhomania (historically it caused the crash of the silk industry in the Levant because cheap Japanese silks out competed local products, best leading to mass Arab emigration to New York, Pittsburgh, and Detroit) but such issues are almost certainly outweighed by the positives for the Rhoman state. Unfortunately, it's located on the territory of Egypt, not Rhomania. So that will need to be negotiated as well once the time comes.
That is probably the easiest part, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to trade or buy Sinai, even today the peninsula is economically and demographically marginal. I would definitely expect the Egyptian despots to bargain hard but be willing to part with it, especially for Cyrenaica.

Is Leo still captain of just a Fregeta? Recall that he was one when rescuing Elizabeth from the Triunes - has it been some time since?

That is probably the easiest part, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to trade or buy Sinai, even today the peninsula is economically and demographically marginal. I would definitely expect the Egyptian despots to bargain hard but be willing to part with it, especially for Cyrenaica.
The issue with a canal isn't actually building it. After all canals are a mature technology having been built in some capacity for millennia at this point and the Grand Canal in China would dwarf any Suez canal and was built in some form or another 2000 years ago. The size of the canal really is just a problem of bodies and money; you would need to house, equip, and pay a large workforce for an extended period of time to actually dig out the thing and would need to keep a moderate sized workforce to continue dredging after completion or pay a significant sum to transport stone to line the whole thing with.

The main issue is going to be the utility of a canal versus it's cost in construction and upkeep before the age of steam. Before steam ships will still have difficulty sailing the Red Sea so will still need to stop at Aden or whatever ITTL Djibouti is called if Ethiopia has developed it; than they go onto a Galley and would still need to transfer again at the south end of the Suez onto a barge to traverse the canal; than transfer a final time onto a ship at the north end of the canal and go to the wider Mediterranean.

So the question to be asked isn't can a canal be built and maintained; it can easily with the resources available to Rhomania and Egypt combined. The question to be asked is can any sort of return on investment be possible on a canal that would need to be built in a region with next to no local resources, would need not one but 2 deep water ports built where none currently exist; would require 2 towns to support those ports and house a workforce that would be needed to dredge the canal on an ongoing basis which would not be self sufficient and would require an ongoing importation of food and materials; and would NOT change the number of transfers needed on trade from the East?

I would argue that before ocean going steam vessels are a thing a Suez canal just wouldn't be able to have the volume to justify the one time and ongoing expenses associated to it. As well without railways and the ability to easily move bulk goods cheaply overland the ability of any pre-steam state to support 2 towns would be stretched heavily.

TLDR: Building the canal is easy for a state with the technology and resources of ITTL Rome if money isn't an issue. Money is in fact an issue.

Last edited:
I have a feeling this won't end well
Is there a precedent for an Emperor being barred from the Hagia Sophia? Regardless, this is a powerful statement against the Emperor if not against the Tourmarches. I suppose the Church will be the one to take out the Emperor while Athena takes out the Tourmarches with their respective... Conspiracies and politicking.

A Civil War would suck for the Romans, but nothing is as Roman as a good Civil War here and there. As long as foreign powers don't get involved too much. Though, Persia will definitely respond to the attack and Mesopotamia will cause the campaign to get bogged down. A single Tagma will not be enough to cleanly win the campaign.

I am interested in what's going on with the Grand Karaman though, will we see another player in the downfall of Herakleios and the Tourmarches?

I've been looking forward to Leo's arrival into the story proper for years. Hope he lives up to the hype. Speaking of which does anyone know of any prominent examples of successful coups by naval staff throughout history?

I've been looking forward to Leo's arrival into the story proper for years. Hope he lives up to the hype. Speaking of which does anyone know of any prominent examples of successful coups by naval staff throughout history?
The Brazilian Naval Rebellion did. But it was in two parts, only the first one was successful.

The Imperial Japanese Navy assassinated the Prime Minister before WWII but I don't think their coup was successful beyond that.

I'm not aware of any others beyond that. Notably both countries where it was 'successful' had their capital cities on the coast.

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
The Brazilian Naval Rebellion did. But it was in two parts, only the first one was successful.

The Imperial Japanese Navy assassinated the Prime Minister before WWII but I don't think their coup was successful beyond that.

I'm not aware of any others beyond that. Notably both countries where it was 'successful' had their capital cities on the coast.
Technically Hungary before WWII, at least the dictator was a former Austria-Hungary admiral. The navy was also very critical in Lenin's takeover during the October Revolution, particularly St. Petersburg.

Technically Hungary before WWII, at least the dictator was a former Austria-Hungary admiral. The navy was also very critical in Lenin's takeover during the October Revolution, particularly St. Petersburg.
I considered bringing up the Kronstadt stuff but it was itself suppressed so I wouldn't count it, and even then it was only part of something much wider.

Speaking of the Imperial Japanese Navy considering how impressive they were in the less than a century between 1868 and 1945 this TLs IJN with a few more centuries of naval experience in what looks to be a more Pacific/outward looking Japan rather than the isolationist/Asian focused one of OTL might end up being an absolute monster. Long term roman naval planning in the far east should involve cooperation with them as much as possible. They'd be a massive help against Triunes/Spanish/Chinese/Mexico or any North Terranovan naval influence in the region

This is going to tie the Tourmarchs hands where it is going to practically hand Micheal to Athena's camp. They will have to push back against the church, and popular clergy in order to maintain their control over the princeps and not have their short victorious war collapse before Baghdad is reached.

The time of the empty emperor is at hand. Here's is hoping for Demetrios IV to fulfill the imperial duties with Siderian zeal and vigor, he can also proclaim his nephew as his heir to keep the dynastic ends tied as his grandfather intended.

I really hope that Russia and Japan don't come to blows. Japan should know that if the Romans really had to pick, there's no scenario where they don't side with Russia. Russia is invaluable to the defense of the Roman Heartland.

Would be better if Japan throws its lot in with Russia, they could use the alliance to extract favorable concessions from China. Also, if Japan proves to have a powerful navy AND a strong alliance with Russia, Russia may not feel the need to have a large pacific fleet, meaning more naval buildup in the black sea or north sea, where they could better influence European affairs.

EDIT: Also, Russia seems like it's much stronger in the east and Siberia has much more development than normal, hurting Japan's ability to fight them even more.

Yep, hell Rhomania, Georgia, and Persia will probably see similar massive land value jumps, if not greater. A lot of currently marginal land, because any food production can't be brought to distant markets cheaply due to transport, if it can before spoilage in the first place, will suddenly be able to service larger and wealthy markets.

After my reading on pre-modern agriculture, I really think AH.com when discussing agricultural improvements does not take into account transportation improvements nearly as much as they should. Nobody’s going to even bother to produce a surplus if it’ll rot before it gets to a buyer, or shipping costs price it out of the buyer’s range. That early modern Netherlands and England led the way in the agriculture revolution I think has a lot to do with their, by the standards of the day, highly developed and efficient transportation system (rule #1 move by water, rule #2 move by water, rule #3 move by water). Shipping was comparatively cheap and quick, making markets much easier to access, and thus there was a profitable point to making a surplus.

Turnpike.....

Publicly financed Roman roads are older technology than Turnpikes and dare I say even better than Turnpike tolls and roads not until an Alt Triune discovers their own form of cement. Roman concrete and Roads are still centuries ahead of whatever the other Europeans can build in 1660s. I suppose Most of Europe still have dirt roads with limited cobblestone roads while the Romans have a lot of Roman highways or roads still being used in 1660s since they know how to repair, maintain and build them. Roman roads are absolutely necessary for war especially in Anatolia to bring Tagmatas from the west to east or vice versa faster.

OTL Romans did have canals built in Italy Britain, Germany and France until it fell to disuse.

I suppose the Moesian Canal is still up in running under the Romans including those Canals under Sicilian control. But I get your point on the Canal craze of the British and USA between late 18th century and 19th century. I believe Pharaoh's Canal in Egypt is still up and running.

I suppose the Romans would be the one building it crazy earlier than the Latins since they are the one with the need, the tech knowhow and the money even as early as 1600s. Bring food faster to Constantinople from interior of Danube or Western Anatolia or Pontic rivers, Cicilian rivers to the ports onward to Constantinople.

Roads are good, but until trains are a thing, water transport is where things are at. I’d have to look it up to get the figures exact, but the Diocletian price edict priced land transport as something like 15-20 times more expensive than water transport, and that’s land transport with the Roman highway system.

I talked about Roman roads in the Contexts series. The Romans do have some very good highways, but their coverage is limited. Once you get off them, the road quality is highly variable, with large sections being little more than dirt paths that might not even take wheeled transport. Which is like lots of western Europe, where there are still the old Roman roads, but then large areas not covered by that network. And those areas are somewhat compensated by being more compact (Anatolia alone is something like France + England combined) and better endowed for riverine transport.

In short, I don’t think that the Romans really have much, if any, ‘transportation advantage’ over, say, France, and most of their strength in this area comes from the Aegean, Mediterranean, and Black Sea as opposed to some highways in Anatolia.

I don’t have the reference, but I remember reading somewhere a historian was arguing that western European descriptions of Russian roads (1700s) as uniquely terrible was hypocritical. They argued that Russian and western European roads were equally bad; Russia’s only seemed worse because Russia is bigger, but the roads themselves were not qualitatively worse.

I have a feeling this won't end well

Does it ever? I mean, every biography I read the main character dies at the end…

Is Leo still captain of just a Fregeta? Recall that he was one when rescuing Elizabeth from the Triunes - has it been some time since?

It has been some time, but he is still a fregata captain. There’s a bottleneck in promotion once you get that high.

Is there a precedent for an Emperor being barred from the Hagia Sophia? Regardless, this is a powerful statement against the Emperor if not against the Tourmarches. I suppose the Church will be the one to take out the Emperor while Athena takes out the Tourmarches with their respective... Conspiracies and politicking.

The example I had in mind was Leo VI and his fight with the Patriarch over the matter of his third and fourth marriages and the legitimacy of his son Konstantinos.

Continuing to have fingers crossed for reintegration of Despotates into a some sort of Roman Imperial Federation.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Western (Federal) Roman Empire that is the heartland plus Despotates, while the Katepanates turn into a Eastern (Federal) Roman Empire, with the Russian Federal Empire as a model. Plus the two Roman Empires are in an equivalent of the Bourbon family compact.

Aside from the amusement of the eastern Roman Empire turning into the new Western Roman Empire, I feel it’s a good way to keep some kind of broader ‘Roman-ness’, but giving enough autonomy to various people that they’re willing to stick around and contribute, as opposed to bolting. The key is to make the necessary concessions early, instead of the OTL European strategy of burning goodwill away by ‘too little, much too late’.

I hope so, but I have my worries. The Leo Kalomeros storyline was created before the General Crisis storyline, with the former now being grafted into the latter. But the OOC reason for Leo Kalomeros being a thing is actually set after the General Crisis.

Romanos I Lekapenos is most unamused that you didn’t think of him. (None other than Sir Steven Runciman wrote a biography about him.)

Suez Canal: See @JSC’s great post on the matter. For those reasons they listed, the Suez canal doesn’t seem like an actually feasible (as opposed to a technically possible) idea to me until steam ships are a going concern.

Speaking of the Imperial Japanese Navy considering how impressive they were in the less than a century between 1868 and 1945 this TLs IJN with a few more centuries of naval experience in what looks to be a more Pacific/outward looking Japan rather than the isolationist/Asian focused one of OTL might end up being an absolute monster. Long term roman naval planning in the far east should involve cooperation with them as much as possible. They'd be a massive help against Triunes/Spanish/Chinese/Mexico or any North Terranovan naval influence in the region

Rule #1 of Roman diplomacy in the west: Be on good terms with Russia.
Rule #1 of Roman diplomacy in the east: Be on good terms with Japan.

I really hope that Russia and Japan don't come to blows. Japan should know that if the Romans really had to pick, there's no scenario where they don't side with Russia. Russia is invaluable to the defense of the Roman Heartland.

Would be better if Japan throws its lot in with Russia, they could use the alliance to extract favorable concessions from China. Also, if Japan proves to have a powerful navy AND a strong alliance with Russia, Russia may not feel the need to have a large pacific fleet, meaning more naval buildup in the black sea or north sea, where they could better influence European affairs.

EDIT: Also, Russia seems like it's much stronger in the east and Siberia has much more development than normal, hurting Japan's ability to fight them even more.

Russo-Japanese relations are something that could go in many different directions, either good or bad for one or both. There does need to be some kind of accommodation regarding Manchuria and Korea (with Korea being an active player, because a discontented Korea could try and call in big brother China to beat off the Russians and Japanese, at which point things get very interesting in the Chinese sense).

I do like the idea of a ‘Grand Orthodox Alliance’ of Russia, Japan, and the Roman Empire(s) (see earlier response) which together are the biggest power bloc on the planet, and with their combined space program with Ethiopia are also the biggest power bloc off planet too.

Rhomania's General Crisis, Part 7.0: The War No One Wants
Rhomania’s General Crisis, part 7.0-The War No One Wants:

Historical accounts tend to focus on the most dramatic and epic moments, on the defiant to-the-death rhetoric and brutal last stands. Those existed in northern Mesopotamia in fall 1660. The Armeniakon tagma’s modus operandi was to move fast and hit hard. It had to. Its logistical reserve was minimal, forcing it to live off on the land, and to do that it needed to keep moving. Furthermore, the whole point of the operation was to seize Mesopotamia quickly before Persian strength could be brought to bear. Resistance from villages is dealt with overwhelming force; there is no time for finesse.

But these are in the minority. Everywhere there is resistance, but it is more subtle. Villagers hide or destroy their foodstuffs, doing their utmost to deny them to the enemy. Many flee south, seeking safety in the only place that seems it might be able to offer it, Baghdad. This is also an act of resistance, for while it is done for safety, it is denying their labor and knowledge to the enemy as well.

Still, the resistance the Armeniakon tagma faces in northern Mesopotamia does not do much to injure or even slow the Romans down. From Mosul to Baghdad is about 400 kilometers and the Romans are within sight of the city on November 5, exactly a month since the start of the campaign. They could not have gotten to the city much faster if this had been an entirely peacetime maneuver in Roman territory.

Two months ago, Baghdad had a population of one hundred thousand. With refugees pouring in from across the north, even with people being moved on south as quickly as possible, that size has now doubled. This imposes immense strain on food resources, living standards, and sanitation, but the speed of the Roman advance means the war arrives before these can move to a critical mass.

Seizing Baghdad is key to the Roman plan. It is the linchpin. The Romans have marched through northern Mesopotamia but one reason the Armeniakon could move so quickly is that it has done precious little to properly secure it. It just doesn’t have the time and numbers to do so. That is for the follow-up forces, which Gyranos started mustering a week before the invasion. (He reasoned that Ottoman spies wouldn’t be able to issue warnings in time with that little notice, and he wanted this process started as quickly as possible.)

Keraunos is to take Baghdad, secure that area, and effectively break any centralized Mesopotamian resistance. Northern Mesopotamia will be secured by follow-up forces from the Syrian and Chaldean tagmata. Southern Mesopotamia can’t be so easily and quickly secured because of the greater distance, but that region is also more distant from Persian reinforcement and the Marsh Arabs are the element most likely to be friendly to the Romans if handled respectively. (Most war hawks envision the southern third of Mesopotamia being a regular vassal of Rhomania, on the lines of Dalmatia and Istria, with perhaps a naval base, as opposed to being annexed directly.)

Baghdad, per the terms of the treaty between Odysseus and Iskandar the Younger, was unfortified at the beginning of the war, its substantial city walls demolished and the stones incorporated into new building projects (many can be identified to this day) such as several large mosques and madrasas in the south of the city. One of the very first things Alexandros did upon the start of the war was to start moving earth around the city, trying to make the city more defensible. In this he was advised by several Ottoman residents who had experience in building earthen defense works, and while Alexandros didn’t have much in the way of shovels, he had many desperate hands due to all the refugees.

When the Romans arrive, the Baghdadi have made some progress but much work remains to be done. The Romans are seriously outnumbered, but have a great advantage in individual firepower. Many of the refugees and city residents have volunteered or been conscripted to defend the city but there is precious little in the way of firearms, especially modern flintlocks, with which to arm them. The majority of the defenders have improvised spears and clubs supplemented by piles of roof tiles. Alexandros only has six cannons, all three-pounders, for artillery. Shortages of gunpowder also cramp an effort to mass produce grenades.

Petros Keraunos is not aware of the specifics, but is aware of the gist. Nevertheless, he offers extremely generous terms for the defenders when he arrives. All the defenders and inhabitants can leave the city if they wish, with all their arms (including artillery) and possessions that they can fit in a cart per family. This includes the royal court. Keraunos just wants the city.

That is because he does not want an urban battle. Baghdad is more than big enough to swallow up his army and in close-quarters his advantage in firepower counts for much less. Furthermore, that firepower advantage isn’t as heavy as he would like. Given the need for quick movement, the heavy guns that would be most useful in the context of an urban battle are still in their depots. He has his field artillery, in much greater numbers than Alexandros, but a good portion of Baghdad’s architecture would be quite resistant to their fire. Additionally, he does not have the numbers to properly invest the city, making it impossible to cut off the defenders from outside support, making the task of reducing them much harder.

Alexandros rejects the offer. He is aware of the difficulties of the Roman position. While he knows that Baghdad will pay a terrible price in the interim, he expects Persian aid. However, he knows that the initial Persian aid will likely be small. If the Romans can occupy Baghdad, the Persian expedition would face all the same problems currently confronting the Romans. And any delay to bring in more Persian reinforcements would also give the Romans time to bring in their own and further secure their position.

It is extremely unlikely that anyone involved, save for the inevitable idiots, seriously thought that Shahanshah Iskandar the Younger would not intervene. The possibility was mentioned, on the grounds that it was technically possible, but then dismissed as extremely improbable. The surprise plan was adopted, despite its shortcomings, because it assumed a Persian intervention and thus hoped to maximize the Roman position in Mesopotamia before said intervention could arrive in force.

The assumption was most reasonable. Iskandar had established himself as a powerful and capable monarch, but the history of how he came to the throne could always come back to haunt him. Failure to respond to Roman aggression against the historical heartland of the Ottoman realm and allowing the Romans to cut the Persians off from the traditional pilgrimage routes of the hajj would make claims that he was a Roman puppet, or at least too spineless to stand up to Constantinople, substantially more credible.

Iskandar had been doing his best to keep his eye on the Roman situation, which did not please him. The war hawks were too unstable, too unreasonable, too obsessed, to make good neighbors. Still, he had not expected an attack against Mesopotamia. From his analysis, the situation looked quite good from the Roman perspective and the war hawks’ attention was focused mostly westward. He did not expect that the Romans would literally turn ‘perfect’ into the enemy of ‘good’.

But he had not discounted the possibility entirely. Much of 1660 had been spent ensuring depots and reserves in western districts were in good condition, with Qizilbash rolls being audited to ensure they were up to proper strength. That said, if the Romans attacked, Iskandar had expected a more normal mass attack, perhaps in 1661 once Domestikos Doukas had convalesced, and the warning signs would be clear, not these weird alerts about extended tagma exercises. Thus, the surprise plan does succeed in catching Iskandar by surprise.

He reacts promptly, mustering a rapid response of three thousand men and dispatching it with all speed to Baghdad. Due to the rush, there is little logistical support, with riders proceeding ahead of the column demanding supplies and promising payment in the future. While peasants, with good reason, suspect the promises of kings when it comes to repayment, there is little opposition. In Mesopotamia the demands of urgency are recognized.

This is a scratch force, a mix of Shahsevan, the Persian Imperial Guard, and elements of the Hamadan Azab, a militia force but widely considered the best Azab unit in the Ottoman Empire. They are all stationed in the capital and thus can be quickly mustered.

Iskandar then prepares and dispatches a second unit. This force takes longer to assemble but is appreciably more formidable. Mustering thirteen thousand, it is comprised primarily of Qizilbash units drawn from the Khassa (theme equivalent) districts around Hamadan. While still under-supplied, which causes more problems, this is a better-balanced force with units more used to working together and with an artillery component comparable to the Armeniakon tagma.

That is all the Shah can prepare before winter weather makes the mass movement of troops through the Zagros impractical; the second force is cutting things close already. However, he begins making plans to take the field personally next year, with all the might he can muster, far greater than either side has committed thus far.

Keraunos meanwhile is looking at Baghdad and considering his options, none of which he likes. While the defense and defenders of the city have many issues, they are more formidable, particularly to his small and lightly-armed force, than had been expected. He doesn’t have enough men to properly invest and the heavy guns to besiege the city. He could swing south and try to cut off the city from potential support from that direction, letting disease and hunger go to work on the cramped and crowded city inhabitants. But that will take time, does not promise success, and will put a rather large impediment astride his lines of communication and retreat. If Baghdad doesn’t capitulate before a Persian relief arrives, that impediment may well be fatal.

He could retreat and wait to attack Baghdad when the Romans are better equipped, but that means admitting the operation has been a failure in its goal. Mesopotamia has not been swept before the Persians arrive. Keraunos is not willing to accept that. Retreating now, before Persian regulars have arrived, in the face of a mob of barely-armed townsfolk and refugees, would be an utter humiliation and a massive black mark on his career.

Thus, lacking any other ideas, he attacks.

Doesn't take a military genius to realize that this upcoming attack, while possibly the best of a series of bad options, will likely be a bloodbath on all sides.

Good update! Pulling for Persia here. Rhomania may be the home team in this story but these guys in charge need to be slapped around a bit.

Russo-Japanese relations are something that could go in many different directions, either good or bad for one or both. There does need to be some kind of accommodation regarding Manchuria and Korea (with Korea being an active player, because a discontented Korea could try and call in big brother China to beat off the Russians and Japanese, at which point things get very interesting in the Chinese sense).
I would prefer a more cordial Russo-Japanese relationship, especially since it could really turn out that way instead of the more antagonistic one we got OTL as they're both Orthodox powers friendly to Rhomania. As I said before, it really just depends on Japanese foreign policy as a more Pacific-focused Shimazu Japan could easily establish friendly relations with Russia since their interests wouldn't conflict and they can easily support Russia whenever China comes up.

IIRC Nicholas II did have some admiration for the Japanese before the Russo-Japanese War so it would be kinda funny to take that up a notch with a Russian prince that is a certified Japanophile (or should I say...weeaboo)?

But he had not discounted the possibility entirely. Much of 1660 had been spent ensuring depots and reserves in western districts were in good condition, with Qizilbash rolls being audited to ensure they were up to proper strength. That said, if the Romans attacked, Iskandar had expected a more normal mass attack, perhaps in 1661 once Domestikos Doukas had convalesced, and the warning signs would be clear, not these weird alerts about extended tagma exercises. Thus, the surprise plan does succeed in catching Iskandar by surprise.
I guess this was rather obvious, but speed is paramount for both the Romans and the Persians.

He could retreat and wait to attack Baghdad when the Romans are better equipped, but that means admitting the operation has been a failure in its goal. Mesopotamia has not been swept before the Persians arrive. Keraunos is not willing to accept that. Retreating now, before Persian regulars have arrived, in the face of a mob of barely-armed townsfolk and refugees, would be an utter humiliation and a massive black mark on his career.

Thus, lacking any other ideas, he attacks.
And so it begins...

He has to take over Baghdad now or this campaign is basically over. With the Ottomans coming in to assist Alexandros in droves, Keraunos is on a literal timer as the Romans are overstretched and undersupplied. I can't help but feel that this siege will not be as easy as he initially thinks. When people are backed into a corner, they can be very dangerous.

Even if he captures Baghdad, will he be able to hold it against a Mesopotamian or a Persian attempt to recapture the city? An assault is gonna be bloody, holding it with a hostile populace where supplies are stretched thin as it is will be terrible. Winter is almost there too.

Reinforcements is gonna take a while to arrive, assuming no internal Roman political drama mess that up as well.