An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I like that the Rhoman Empire isn't an unstoppable juggernaut rampaging across the world, it makes to timeline a better read as things are up in the air rather than set into a constant pattern of endless victory. I like that the two empires are eternal rivals neither able to destroy the other and as a result both present a constant threat. It's a good dynamic that prevents either Rhomania or the Ottomans from getting terribly powerful.

A bit of speculation on the future I think the Ottomans will have a similar relationship with Vijayangara as they do with Rhomania, save that the dynamic is reversed with Vijayangara having the exposed western frontier constantly at risk of being conquered or ravaged by the Ottomans. In the future might there be a pattern of alliances with Rhomania and the Ottomans both trying to get alliances that would allow them to outflank the other, i.e. Ottomans+HRE vs Rhomania+Vijayangara or Ottomans+Marinids vs Rhomania+Russian successor states.

This new Andreas has all the worst parts of the original Andreas and none of the best parts, completely at odds with the messages conveyed in the Theodoros IV and Andreas I ghost scenes.
I propose that from now on we call him the Red Herring.

To be fair, we've yet to see him lead an army properly (although the fight against the Triunes was pretty badass).

I have the feeling he might be a naval superstar, or at least, that is what my instincts are saying.

hm, the kaisars marriage situation, with confidence for the future fill me, it does not.
which is kind of sad, as in earlier updates it seemed that he and his wife got along just fine.
Also kind of seeing a recall to Megas Domestikos rank in time of crisis in Leos future, should Andreas ever get the throne.
The overall situation in the government is also one hell of a powderkeg waiting to explode, hope the weasel trying to save his own incompetent ass gets his just reward and doesn't drag the rest down with him.

And finally the Ottomans: they are in for a world of hurt, finally. Though Iskandar dying unbeaten.. not a fan of it. Seriously looking forward to the coming clash in India.

Deleted member 81475

To be fair, I think there have only been three important Helenas over two hundred years.

1. St. Helena Doukas, Andreas I's mother. Andreas named a daughter for her (who became Queen of Russia) but she only was mentioned once I think.
2. Helena I Drakina, the nonagenarian Empress.
3. Her granddaughter Helena II, who is apparently stupid and only had a single heir in Andreas III (Bad marriage? Low fertility? Maybe she's gay.)

That said, any less frequently used names would be cool. IIRC we'll be getting a Herakleios III for whom the Philippines are named. I'd love to see another Konstantinos, a Giorgios, Romanos, Isaakios, or any of the Greek ones like Odysseus and Leonidas. If Andreas III is any sort of disappointment they'll likely drop the name for a while for the exact reasons Helena I cited when he was born.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, I think there have only been three important Helenas over two hundred years.

1. St. Helena Doukas, Andreas I's mother. Andreas named a daughter for her (who became Queen of Russia) but she only was mentioned once I think.
2. Helena I Drakina, the nonagenarian Empress.
3. Her granddaughter Helena II, who is apparently stupid and only had a single heir in Andreas III (Bad marriage? Low fertility? Maybe she's gay.)

That said, any less frequently used names would be cool. IIRC we'll be getting a Herakleios III for whom the Philippines are named. I'd love the see another Konstantinos, a Giorgios, Romanos, Isaakios, or any of the Greek ones like Odysseus and Leonidas. If Andreas III is any sort of disappointment they'll likely drop the name for a while for the exact reasons Helena I cited when he was born.
We had a lot of Theodoroses in the beginning of this timeline but I don't think we have had any since the TOT, so another Emperor Theodoros would be cool too. All of them have been pretty awesome as well, but none ever will beat the magnificence that is Theodoros IV. :p

Last edited:
I'm partial to Nikephoros, the Empire needs someone to bring more victory.

Just of curiosity, how seriously are people in the Ottoman Empire not named Iskander taking the new Indian threat? They should be fairly overconfident, even with the manpower damage.

Also, as Ibrahim is the heir apparent he should making a beeline to India, Osman is still young but given the timing and the fact his power base is far from the frontier (and incidentally pretty close to Mazandaran) it seems like this is the perfect time to strike.

I would also like an Emperor (or empress) Lolipop, to moralize the soldiers, or Rocky, to punch the enemies of Romania until they have serious brain damage,

PS: I'm kidding, I'm kidding, maybe it is time for an Achilles, Ajax or Jason to shine, since we already have an Odysseus (maybe having an father/uncle/godfather/mother/aunt/godmother/grandma empress obcessed with ancient greek names would be fun).

I would also like an Emperor (or empress) Lolipop, to moralize the soldiers, or Rocky, to punch the enemies of Romania until they have serious brain damage,

PS: I'm kidding, I'm kidding, maybe it is time for an Achilles, Ajax or Jason to shine, since we already have an Odysseus (maybe having an father/uncle/godfather/mother/aunt/godmother/grandma empress obcessed with ancient greek names would be fun).

I don't think that'll happen until such a point that the Empires population becomes more nationalistic - and forces a level of Federalism (which has happened with the Despotes to be fair) - with a generation of VERY 'national' names. Philip, Alexandros, Agamemnon in Greece - Binyamin, Abraam, Mikael in Egypt, and Julius, etc in Italy. The Imperial Family may well have the biggest mix - I'd love to see an Imperial Family that takes a name from the mothers family.

So Andreas-Abraam/Baselious-Agamemnon/Theodoros-Julius/Konstantinos-Omar. Hilariously, if the Romans conquer the Turks and the Turks see Iskandar as a national hero - you could have an Emperor Alexandros-Iskandar.

I don't think that'll happen until such a point that the Empires population becomes more nationalistic - and forces a level of Federalism (which has happened with the Despotes to be fair) - with a generation of VERY 'national' names. Philip, Alexandros, Agamemnon in Greece - Binyamin, Abraam, Mikael in Egypt, and Julius, etc in Italy. The Imperial Family may well have the biggest mix - I'd love to see an Imperial Family that takes a name from the mothers family.

So Andreas-Abraam/Baselious-Agamemnon/Theodoros-Julius/Konstantinos-Omar. Hilariously, if the Romans conquer the Turks and the Turks see Iskandar as a national hero - you could have an Emperor Alexandros-Iskandar.

Fair enough. Then, my vote goes for Empress Lolipop I of Romania.

Is Sicily going to be reintegrated into the Empire proper? Or is it going to be ruled in a personal union?

I'm also worried about the marital issues in the White Palace, sleep with your wife for god's sake, even Andreas I and Maria could do it. Surely Elizabeth is up to something, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.