An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I mean i imagine it would be popular in anatolia at least it probably fills them with pride for being the true homeland of the empire

He's the son of Aphrodite. How much more Greek can he get? :p

I mean, Aphrodite is known to be an import God - she's not even part of the Olympian Family (even if she is part of that Pantheon).

Well to an extent both sides of the Trojan War would have been considered Greek by the descendants. They spoke similar, and f not the same, language, worshipped the same gods, and were culturally similar. Of course this is largely based on the idea the the Aegean Sea is not a boundary point.

I mean, I'd agree with the first sentence - for sure. It's just interesting that looking at the history of the time, we can tell the Hittites were in conflict with Luwians, who appear to be the culture the Trojans were part of (if Wilusa is Troy). Whilst its perfectly reasonable to accept that the Greeks believe that Aeneas and Hector were effectively Greek, we do have to take note that we're using a Greek oration of the story that is centuries old. It's just funny IMO - there is no reason other than "its the story we know" to presume the Trojans even worshipped the same Gods, and if anything evidence they weren't exists.

Like, I'm not mad or annoyed - it's just weird and a little funny that an Empire founded by a Trojan (and thus potentially in no way Greek) now speaks Greek as its primarily language with an heir who is named after the guy who made their founder homeless.

History, even Alternate History, is funny sometimes.

Last time I checked they were incredibly alarmed by an alliance bloc in the Ganges that raised that region to be a threat to even Vijayanagar if it came to a fight. Whilst I'd agree some sort of Indian power will exist, Vijayanagar does act a lot like the Late-Qing. Excluding Rome (ITTL) there is no eternal Empire.
Qing would not have fallen if not for the explosive combination of both external and internal pressures simultaneously eroding its authority until it collapsed decades later. The world as a whole is on a seemingly more level playing field in general, and I can't see any overwhelming threat capable of undermining the Vijayanagar to the point of destruction on the horizon.

Qing would not have fallen if not for the explosive combination of both external and internal pressures simultaneously eroding its authority until it collapsed decades later. The world as a whole is on a seemingly more level playing field in general, and I can't see any overwhelming threat capable of undermining the Vijayanagar to the point of destruction on the horizon.
I dont think Vijayanagar will be destroyed but they certainly will be feel the same shenanigans that happened to Rome throughout the 3rd cenntury up to this present ttl year. If they do fall who or what will replace them?

I dont think Vijayanagar will be destroyed but they certainly will be feel the same shenanigans that happened to Rome throughout the 3rd cenntury up to this present ttl year. If they do fall who or what will replace them?
Presumably a North Indian nation Looking to control most of the subcontinent in conjunction with a combo few out side actors (The Triunes, Spanish, Romans, Ethiopians, Omani, and possibly Lotharingians if the survive) looking for some costal cities and possibly a puppet state if they’re ambitious.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if India ended up being made up of a dozen different states, mostly native but some that have significant outside influences or loyalties. A Spanish backed state in Bengal, the Romans having a puppet on the coast face Taprobane, the Ethiopians propping up a small state around the city they control. I expect many native Indian kingdoms to flourish in this timeline but I don’t expect them to be alone.

I wonder if Vajay gets kicked down a serious notch and is facing serious problems the romans could support it as a sort of client state

I t
Presumably a North Indian nation Looking to control most of the subcontinent in conjunction with a combo few out side actors (The Triunes, Spanish, Romans, Ethiopians, Omani, and possibly Lotharingians if the survive) looking for some costal cities and possibly a puppet state if they’re ambitious.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if India ended up being made up of a dozen different states, mostly native but some that have significant outside influences or loyalties. A Spanish backed state in Bengal, the Romans having a puppet on the coast face Taprobane, the Ethiopians propping up a small state around the city they control. I expect many native Indian kingdoms to flourish in this timeline but I don’t expect them to be alone.
I thought bengal was triune owned?

I wonder if Vajay gets kicked down a serious notch and is facing serious problems the romans could support it as a sort of client state

Client state is a bit much, a friendly power that remembers a favour? Sure.

The debacle that was the far East conflict is going to make Rome shift gears considerably with how they handle their holdings. With the crippling of the ship lords, as was mentioned, it opens the door for the government to step up their ship numbers and what ships are out there. A move to a faster fregatai as was shown to be Spain's advantage will be discussed I feel, as well as money going into the hands of more minor powers. Rome became painfully aware of how much they lean on the local powers, and that they can't be stuck on one or two. The easiest way to subvert the advantage Mataram is to pick two more local powers and work out a deal that have them buying Roman weapons too. A clash is coming between Mataram and Rome eventually, resentment fueled the last deal and put Rome in a position of little bargaining power.

This could be a period of consolidation for Rome while Spain really has pretty much shot it's load in that part of the world. This could even make Rome want to set up a series of packet stations along East Africa, or contracted through the Ethiopians to keep better tabs on the European boats coming and going.

Last edited:

Took the words from my mouth.

The debacle that was the far East conflict is going to make Rome shift gears considerably with how they handle their holdings. With the crippling of the ship lords, as was mentioned, it opens the door for the government to step up their ship numbers and what ships are out there. A move to a faster fregatai as was shown to be Spain's advantage will be discussed I feel, as well as money going into the hands of more minor powers. Rome became painfully aware of how much they lean on the local powers, and that they can't be stuck on one or two. The easiest way to subvert the advantage Semarang (I think I got the name wrong, I'm on my phone) is to pick two more local powers and work out a deal that have them buying Roman weapons too. A clash is coming between Semarang and Rome eventually, resentment fueled the last deal and put Rome in a position of little bargaining power.

Not sure creating a regional arms race is to the Roman advantage. More practically I think would be to bring in a big-stick policy and start raising local forces under a Roman banner so they can act without the need to lean on any specific local power. Now they control southern half of the Malay Peninsula, they can consolidate that and lean on that primarily, with Cham(pa?) and (Semarang?Mataram?I think I'm mixed up too) which means they can have the local forces organised as the Romans want, and can start to act independently of their allies if needs be in smaller conflicts.

This could be a period of consolidation for Rome while Spain really has pretty much shot it's load in that part of the world. This could even make Rome want to set up a series of packet stations along East Africa, or contracted through the Ethiopians to keep better tabs on the European boats coming and going.

I think that's a solid call - I'd vote for it :p

But it does have me thinking - what baffles me is that with Ethiopia and Oman dominating East African trade, the Romans the biggest Europeans in East Asia, and Vijayanagar, why the Europeans don't just let them play the middle man. They can make more trips to import Indian Ocean goods at less risk to themselves if they stop off at South Africa/East Africa and trade there. They have no easy way to dominate the trade lanes now, which means they can do what the Romans do in RITE with trade, at least not without effectively entering Ethiopian or Omani interests. Maybe thats somewhere to watch?

Took the words from my mouth.

Not sure creating a regional arms race is to the Roman advantage. More practically I think would be to bring in a big-stick policy and start raising local forces under a Roman banner so they can act without the need to lean on any specific local power. Now they control southern half of the Malay Peninsula, they can consolidate that and lean on that primarily, with Cham(pa?) and (Semarang?Mataram?I think I'm mixed up too) which means they can have the local forces organised as the Romans want, and can start to act independently of their allies if needs be in smaller conflicts.

I think that's a solid call - I'd vote for it :p

But it does have me thinking - what baffles me is that with Ethiopia and Oman dominating East African trade, the Romans the biggest Europeans in East Asia, and Vijayanagar, why the Europeans don't just let them play the middle man. They can make more trips to import Indian Ocean goods at less risk to themselves if they stop off at South Africa/East Africa and trade there. They have no easy way to dominate the trade lanes now, which means they can do what the Romans do in RITE with trade, at least not without effectively entering Ethiopian or Omani interests. Maybe thats somewhere to watch?
Cham I believe is a better ally than Mataram and its already proven. Rome really should start intensifying their ship production on a massive scale as well as researching immunities for the tropical climate of se asia. For immunities since its a bit far off, having loads of native and mestizo family for the far east is the solution for manpower crisis there. Can't rely too much on local powers to back you up, gotta start pumping those upcoming loyal babies

This is really off topic, but I was rereading Age of Miracles and I can't help but wonder when, if ever, the Pope in Avignon decides to call it quits and give up the title of Bishop of Rome. There's been more than one occasion when they've decided to not even press the issue because they're so entrenched that moving would only weaken them, so at some point taking their "new" location as a badge of honor would work in their favor, yeah?

This is really off topic, but I was rereading Age of Miracles and I can't help but wonder when, if ever, the Pope in Avignon decides to call it quits and give up the title of Bishop of Rome. There's been more than one occasion when they've decided to not even press the issue because they're so entrenched that moving would only weaken them, so at some point taking their "new" location as a badge of honor would work in their favor, yeah?
French Kings continued to use the title emperor of Rome, which they purchased from the deposed Byzantine emperor after the conquest of Constantinople, until well into the 18th century. The same is true for English kings styling themselves as king of France.

That's the time period when titles which are purely prestigious give way to titles of nationalist value and modern realities.

Mataram is going to be a beast in the east, and the best way to mitigate that is to have friends in the area that are as close to technological parity as they are as possible, so when the next gen of weapons is developed in the home land, they will not be at a parity to make it costly to bring under your aegis. In saying that, I am always a fan of the unseen warfare, and who knows, there areplenty of vipers in the region that could find their way into the bed of a ruler, and a plyable supplicant steps up. Or even a more traditional leader that sees the new weapons as running contra to their traditions.

Mataram is going to be a beast in the east, and the best way to mitigate that is to have friends in the area that are as close to technological parity as they are as possible, so when the next gen of weapons is developed in the home land, they will not be at a parity to make it costly to bring under your aegis. In saying that, I am always a fan of the unseen warfare, and who knows, there areplenty of vipers in the region that could find their way into the bed of a ruler, and a plyable supplicant steps up. Or even a more traditional leader that sees the new weapons as running contra to their traditions.
We'll see about that, whether Mataram can actually westernize cause its not that easy at all as someone in this ttl said.

So how long do you guys think it'll be for hungary to become at least plurality orthodox maybe about a century or two of Roman influence? I imagine the major trade cities along the danube will be the first to convert due coming into direct contact with Orthodox traders and perhaps missionaries as well. It'll probably really take off once they get an Orthodox monarch on the throne if that ever happens

We'll see about that, whether Mataram can actually westernize cause its not that easy at all as someone in this ttl said.

It's not so much westernize, but be the/one of the dominate player in the region. If they have an edge over the other smaller powers outside of the European umbrellas, they will become a serious thorn in the sides of Rome when they move to solidify rest of Island Asia.

So how long do you guys think it'll be for hungary to become at least plurality orthodox maybe about a century or two of Roman influence? I imagine the major trade cities along the danube will be the first to convert due coming into direct contact with Orthodox traders and perhaps missionaries as well. It'll probably really take off once they get an Orthodox monarch on the throne if that ever happens
Likely never.

The Hungarians have no reason to adopt a different nation's belief system, especially when they're trying to keep Germans in their state. Unity of religion goes a long way towards accomplishing that goal. Historically that is why the Austrians purged Hungarian protestants after its reconquest from the Ottoman Empire

that was surprising. Looks like no one won anything out of this.
This is the rare war that ends with both a bang and a whimper.

It originally wasn’t going to be this costly for the Romans. But then once I’d set up the game board and started figuring out how it would play, I went “man, this is a lot harder than I thought it would be.”

Unfortunate that Papagos died, I liked him. The economic cost to the shiplords may be good in the long runalthough it is clear that dependence to Indian moneylenders of all things needs to go. The empire has a reasonably advanced banking system back in Europe after all, only common sense that it should get branches out east. Along the a Greek East India company of course., if a ship lord has shares to multiple ships he's less vulnerable to losses after all...

Yeah, I think the big issue for the Romans is that they set up some good systems…last century. They were good for their time but times are changing. What Spain did once it could do again (even if not right away) and what Spain can do, the Triunes, Lotharingians, Arletians, and possibly even the Scandinavians can do. The Romans need to up their game.

Oooph, a depressing end to a depressing conflict all in all. I'm with D3 here, I'd be furious. (Though I'd also be one of those idiots who'd have pissed of the Maharaja....)

I'd a depressing victory, but still a victory nonetheless, the Romans control Malacca, and learnt that whatever they thought they had in RITE was, frankly, unimpressive as it was. A great money-making operation, but when faced with a comparable foe, it feels like a paper tiger, and all of SEA knows that now. Considering D3 sent an Exarch to deal with matters during the war, I wouldn't be surprised if he sends a replacement to rebuild and reorganise RITE. (What is Athena doing these days?) It needs to ensure it is strong enough to defend itself, and frankly be in a position to compensate Ship Lords if they are going to be used in this manner. Plus, as @Lascaris said, a secure location for RITE branches of Roman banking would be a trick too.

I'm intrigued by the reference to the Sikhs however, whilst it is a reprimand of sorts for some of their earlier behaviour, I'm clueless as to what they expect of the Romans in the future. Or is it meant to be a threat of sending the Sikhs? I might not have understood the nuance there.

It's good to see Kalomeros recapture a Roman ship though, much love for the boy. I'd almost expect him to a candidate for some role in RITE's reorganisation if I wasn't expecting him to cause havoc in Europe.

The Romans were getting berated by an angry Venkata, and the Sikh ambassador interceded and calmed the Emperor down on the Romans’ behalf. So the Romans know the Sikhs are a good and useful friend to have at Vijayanagar. Therefore they should make sure to retain Sikh support by providing the Sikh Confederacy with more material and/or money support (Ranjit Singh took Agra with a Roman-provided artillery train). This benefits the Sikhs and Vijayanagara foreign policy favors a strong Sikh Confederacy to threaten Oudh, which is why Venkata wanted it.

Wow that was intense, i audibly yelled "YES!!!" when i read that the Romans broke through spanish lines hahaha
So is the City of Malacca the only territory that changed hands during this war or did the Romans get some more minor concessions?

The city itself is the only territory that has directly changed hands, but the rest of Spanish Malaya effectively comes with it. Although the Romans have yet to establish their own control.

So Ulm, Rome, Genoa, and Malacca have now all been brutally sacked by Rhomania. I doubt Europe will care that this was not a cultural reason for brutality like the other 3 and instead was just a starving army losing discipline.

At this point cities in Europe are either going to surrender immediately or fight to the bitter end.

The ceasefire masks real Spanish weakness though. Rhomanias shipyards and infrastructure all remain fully intact while Spain’s main base in the East has been completely destroyed. It wouldn’t surprise me if Spain doesn’t just outright sell their territories and concentrate on other areas to colonize. Still lots of room in South America and India after all.

Though Rhomania is suffering a financial crisis I think Spain would be in even worse shape. They just finished a long war conquering Granada with all those costs and outfitting the fleet to go East was an incredible expense that has not paid off in the slightest. Could Rhomania put together the money to buy out the husk of Malacca?

The future of RITE will likely change massively. The breaking of the ship lords and the general debacle that has been the Spanish foray will give the Empire an incentive to bring the areas under more centralized control.

I would expect Pahang and Pygros are going to get the ability to build up to 3rd raters with the investment coming from Constantinople with a permanent fleet at Pahang/Singapore and fregatai squadrons at the other 3. Taprobane is too close to Vijiyanagar for it to be an acceptable spot.

From the hints it looks like D3 dies in 1639 but how exactly remains a mystery. I cant help but think the blowups are Ody becoming emperor and Rhomania having a “less restrained” attitude in Italy and North Africa.

Malacca won’t be so noteworthy simply because it is so far away. The big names are Genoa and especially Rome, because it’s Rome.

I expect Spain to turn west and focus on being an Atlantic power after this. Imagine a Spain with an economically integrated Venezuela, Brazil, and Argentina that uses colonial demand for goods as a spur to expanding and advancing its own domestic industries…

Building up the yards at Pyrgos and Pahang is essential. Taprobane has the most facilities because it is the oldest Katepanate, but it is too close to Vijayanagar. Any large fleet buildup cannot help but make Vijayanagar wary, simply because of proximity. Instead build the fleet up in Island Asia. It doesn’t bother the City of Victories because ships way out east aren’t a threat, while Taprobane is protected by its own proximity to Vijayanagar. Any Latin attacking it is probably going to end up stepping on Vijayangar’s toes.

Does it even count as a victory? Sure Rome now has a burnt out shell of a city as it's prize but what did it cost? Dozens if not hundreds of ships, countless sailors and soldiers.

All that naval resource and manpower will take a long time to replace, and the Spanish even got away with most of their battle fleet too (including those 3 Third Raters I'm assuming?)

D3 hasn't reigned for too long but he really deserves an epithet worthy of his accomplishments, perhaps they can take inspiration from Aurelian the Restorer of the World?

If he does die by foul play then I'd expect Ody to take it out on someone...

I’d say it counts as a victory, but an insanely expensive one.

Spain got away with most of their ships, including those third-raters, including a lot of Roman prizes.

Well the spanish have been good lucky, but overall it also help the Romans. With a majority of the shiplords suffering from financial issues, centralizing the far east is now made possibly easier. Its just a matter matter of time for the reformation of the system to happen.

Centralizing the far east is still, given the transportation and communication tech of the day, easier said than done. There’s a reason the English, French, and Dutch all delegated their colonial efforts to corporations during this period, and even then the corporate directors had serious problems getting their officials on the ground to listen to them. Hard to enforce compliance when it takes 6+ months for your memo to be received by the recipient.

Well Malacca, and the entire Malay peninsula with it, helps firm up the lines of commission if nothing else. Worse comes to worse they can have roads built to connect Malacca and Pahang which neatly avoids the RITE being bisected. I envision Southern Malaysia having world class, for the seventeen century at least, infrastructure while Northern Malaysia gets ignored, partly as a defense since without good infrastructure Malaysia may as well be an island.

Roads wouldn’t happen because sea transport is just so much faster and cheaper in this era compared to ground transport. We’re talking order-of-magnitude cheaper. Cost means Malacca and Pahang will communicate by sea; the money spent on a road through the jungle would be much better spent on ships and naval facilities to ensure the Romans don’t lose command of the sea.

With the focus on cacao and coffee as prized tropical exports that Rhomania is keen on growing and importing, I'm surprised vanilla hasn't been discussed. The spice is nearly ubiquitous in our world in sweets and flavorings, so much so that we consider it the "basic flavor". Granted, they still have to discover the hand pollination process for growing them, but with Madagascar, Indonesia, and India within Roman reach, it wouldn't be surprising that they would turn to it as an additional cash crop. At the same time, it could also prove to be what lets another nation compete in the arena of the spice trade.

Still, I have a soft spot for Charalambos Caldonridis and I could see a sequel to that little story in which he figures out how to grow vanilla. Imagine the title, "Gardener of the Three Beans", bahaha! (If you think about it, isn't a vanilla mocha latte with soymilk just four-bean soup?)

OOC: Because chocolate is superior to vanilla. And now I want ice cream.

Costly victory? Certainly. Pyrrh victory? Not so much. Yes the Roman ship lords lost a lot of capital and a decent amount of men but Spain is essentially kicked out out Island Asia at this point (Malacca and the surrounding area was their only actual territory to my knowledge, and I’d bet that Sunda isn’t long for this world regardless of any ceasefire) and I’m sure the Roman government will be happy to assist in the economic recovery out East.

In return the Romans essentially control the Malay Penisula, have less competition in the area, have space to recover without fear of counter attack, and maybe can get a little bit of Sunda if they help enough. Along with anything they gain in Africa and Italy. Not really a pyrrhic victory at all in my opinion.

Also does anyone else think that Vijayanagara’s foreign policy being decided by pettiness and brow beatings is gonna backfire big time one day? I mean right now they’re the big dog and no one can really do anything more than take it. But one day they’ll be in a weakened position with a bad ruler and he’s going to brow beat the wrong diplomat. And it’s gonna hurt most of the parties involved a lot.

I’d say that current policy of ‘subtly favor whoever has irritated us the least recently’ is a bad policy, bad for building up goodwill but good at alienating people. But that said, I think Venkata Raya was fully in the right for giving the Romans a good berating. Because the Romans were considering an utterly brazen violation of Vijayanagar sovereignty and neutrality, by proposing sending a fleet into Vijayanagara waters and attacking their Spanish foes. Which also displays a callous disregard for collateral damage that would inevitably be afflicted on Vijayanagara subjects. Yes, the Romans decided not to do it, but it never should’ve been on the table in the first place.

I would be surprised if Vijiyanagar lasts to the modern day. It is a hugely multi-ethnic empire that is already 200years old. From looking through history most Indian dynasties/empires last in the 100-400 range so it’s still got some legs but wouldn’t surprise me to see it drop a peg or two as rival states arise in the north and chip away at the frontier.

Mind you that doesn’t mean Southern India can’t still be very influential. Even the empire breaking into 10 states; a random number; would likely leave two or three with German population levels and another group around Spanish levels. Essentially a European equivalent but much more dense. It might even be beneficial in the long term for this to happen. Having 2 or 3 maritime focused states and another couple land focused could allow each state to fully develop their infrastructure in a way a united empire wouldn’t.

I’d be curious to see how centralized Vijiyanagar actually is. In OTL it was attempts at centralization; amongst other things; in the 16th century that set off large scale rebellions that ultimately broke the dynasties power. If those attempts at centralization never occurred it could explain why Vijiyanagar is still going strong ITTL rather than being 12 years to dissolution. It would also suggest though that local kings still have immense power and the Vijiyanagar army, though large, would be unable to act unless there was buy in from those same local kings. Vijiyanagar in this regard would be comparable to a “super Germany”; immensely powerful within its own sphere but not able to project nearly as much as its population would suggest.

Further going down this scenario the Vijiyanagar navy could be an attempt by the current monarch to expand royal power and could potentially set off a series of rebellions by local elites who fear a loss of power or local elites who feel they have been bypassed. A series of rebellions that an ambitious Kapetanate of Taprobane with a gifted naval officer might just try to exploit to break the only real threat to Taprobane.

Vijayanagar is a lot like a much bigger version of Ethiopia. It’s got a large centralized core that’s well developed and is pound-for-pound the best part of the Empire. But the majority of the Empire is still comprised of vassal rulers of varying degrees of autonomy.

Vijayanagar was able to send a powerful offensive to the north to drive the Persians out of India, but it was unable to finish the job because riding herd on all the vassals is a full-time job by itself. So Vijayanagar can project immense power outside its border, but can’t keep it up for long. The offensive lasted just 1 campaigning season and that was it. Invade Vijayanagar on the other hand, and you die horribly.

If I am not mistaken Vijayanagara is rather centralized in the southern cone while more reliant on vassals the farther north one goes, similar to Ethiopia's setup.
I feel like vijiyanagar Will go through a third century crisis moment at some point.
If Vijay does collapse i hope Rome is able to set up a client state in the far south and perhaps take some more cities on the coast
Vijayanagar is a weight class above all of its neighbors combined, and the improvements in communication infrastructure are going to make internal crises less likely to cause terminal decline. I suspect that Vijayanagar is going to be one of the major powers in the multipolar world that's going to come out of TTL.
Last time I checked they were incredibly alarmed by an alliance bloc in the Ganges that raised that region to be a threat to even Vijayanagar if it came to a fight. Whilst I'd agree some sort of Indian power will exist, Vijayanagar does act a lot like the Late-Qing. Excluding Rome (ITTL) there is no eternal Empire.

The Oudh+Bengal combo is comparable, or possibly even slightly bigger than Vijayanagar (because the Gangetic plain has a ton of people). They’re an existential threat to Vijayanagar, but nobody else is. Rhomania, for instance, would have to find a way to sealift and supply every single tagma it has to India in order to be a comparable menace.

Vijayanagar has the immense boon of me having a soft spot for it. It’s got an utterly awesome name, and I look on it as the Indian version of OTL Byzantium. The last and most brilliant empire of Hindu South India, glorious in its heyday, pinnacle of an ancient age but now largely forgotten by the modern age. I can’t help but love it.

As for India, a couple of things are certain. One, it will never be unified, either by foreigners or natives. Two, foreign colonialism will be minimal compared to OTL. In fact, the level of foreign colonialism at this point ITTL is likely to be the high point. Three, come the modern era at least one of the Indian states will be in the great power club.

Also, what do Romans think of the Anead and the other works of virgil? I hope he is still a part of the Roman canon
I would be surprised if the Aeneid isn't well liked and part of classical education. If nothing else it helps give some bridging of the dual Roman/Greek identity that Rhomania has.
I'm not sure how much Latin there would be in general education - remember the OTL Eastern Roman Empire stopped operating in Latin in the 6th century and Classical Greek (which is pretty far from what they're speaking in daily life) occupies that niche in society and education. I would expect there to be far less Latin in Rhoman schools than there was Greek in contemporary Western schools OTL - so getting to the point of reading the Aeneid in the original is going to be a university thing.

I do think it would be popular in 'modern' Greek translation as part of the Trojan Wars story in general - it's not exactly a key addition to the plot but it is one of the good bits. With any luck many of the lost bits of the Epic Cycle have been rediscovered in Rhomania - I know none of them were available to Photius four centuries before the PoD but that doesn't mean there were no copies in existence, just that he didn't have them.
I won't lie, upon more reading it is rather weird that the Greco-Romans don't have issue with Aeneas not being.. well, either.

Fair he founded Rome, but he wasn't on the Greek side during the Trojan War, and was in fact, Anatolian. Its great for a sort of "Anatolia is our first homeland" myth, but I do find it utterly bizarre over any of the Danaan.
He's the son of Aphrodite. How much more Greek can he get?
Well to an extent both sides of the Trojan War would have been considered Greek by the descendants. They spoke similar, and f not the same, language, worshipped the same gods, and were culturally similar. Of course this is largely based on the idea the the Aegean Sea is not a boundary point.

It’s popular in Greek translation, but certainly not on the level of Homer’s works. Virgil and the Aeneid would be part of the ‘Latin classics’, known in Rhomania in Greek translation. They’re hailed as important and significant, but not on the level of the Greek classics. Also expect more focus on Greek historians of Rome like Polybius and Plutarch.

The Roman-Greek relation is…complicated, but then that’s OTL. Rhomania is politically Roman, but culturally Greek.

The debacle that was the far East conflict is going to make Rome shift gears considerably with how they handle their holdings. With the crippling of the ship lords, as was mentioned, it opens the door for the government to step up their ship numbers and what ships are out there. A move to a faster fregatai as was shown to be Spain's advantage will be discussed I feel, as well as money going into the hands of more minor powers. Rome became painfully aware of how much they lean on the local powers, and that they can't be stuck on one or two. The easiest way to subvert the advantage Mataram is to pick two more local powers and work out a deal that have them buying Roman weapons too. A clash is coming between Mataram and Rome eventually, resentment fueled the last deal and put Rome in a position of little bargaining power.

Local powers as counterweights to Mataram is a problem because Mataram, in terms of Indonesia, is massive. It really is the China of the region. To get comparable players, one needs to look to the mainland realms. But while they have the power to face Mataram, the mainland realms are far enough away that they don’t care.

Keep a pin in the thought behind your last paragraph.

Letting the Romans be the middleman would defeat the whole point of rounding Africa in the first place. It’d be reverting to the medieval trade pattern. Never going to happen.

Cham I believe is a better ally than Mataram and its already proven. Rome really should start intensifying their ship production on a massive scale as well as researching immunities for the tropical climate of se asia. For immunities since its a bit far off, having loads of native and mestizo family for the far east is the solution for manpower crisis there. Can't rely too much on local powers to back you up, gotta start pumping those upcoming loyal babies

Cham’s been a better ally for Rhomania, but then I’d argue that Rhomania has been a better ally for the Cham compared to Mataram.

Probably never. Because being Bishop of Rome is essential to being THE Pope. It’d be conceding the Schism itself, and saying the other guy was right all along.

Likely never.

The Hungarians have no reason to adopt a different nation's belief system, especially when they're trying to keep Germans in their state. Unity of religion goes a long way towards accomplishing that goal. Historically that is why the Austrians purged Hungarian protestants after its reconquest from the Ottoman Empire

See Evilprodigy’s response. Plus remaining Catholic is a good way for Hungary to assert its own independence and agency. There might be some merchant conversions, but that’s it.

I should've waited to post the response post until I was ready, but too late now...

The next part of Not the End: The Empire Under the Laskarids has been posted for Megas Kyr patrons on Patreon. The long pursuit of Michael Palaiologos finally ends in success for Theodoros II Laskaris, marking a crucial turning point in his reign. For the rest of his reign, his focus will be on Europe, his first priority the Queen of Cities, which has languished under Latin occupation for far too long.

Thank you again for your support.