An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

An excellent update and a rather interesting twist in the story of our dear mr. Friedrich Zimmermann. He could become an Apostle of Asane's ideas in Bavaria and a preacher of equal rights for all men (and women). And after the rather good treatment by the Romans I could see him become a fierce pacifist.
And something completely different; Who owns Dalmatia and Istria right now? I seem to remember that they were Roman vassals.

How big IS Lothairingia anyways? Netherlands of course, presumably Belgium or parts of it given the mention of Antwerp, but how much of Upper and Lower Lothairingia do they have to contain only 3 million people? 1700 Netherlands had 1.8 million and Belgium had 3.65 million, if Populstat's sources are accurate for this, while 1600 Netherlands had 1.5 million and the Spanish Netherlands (Belgium+Luxembourg but without Liege) had 2 million, if Wikipedia's sources are right. And they might not be since the one for the section of Spain is on Naples and doesn't even mention Belgium or the Netherlands, though the Netherlands one seems good.

So it's smaller than OTL 1600 but presumably larger in size. And both without the 80 years war causing all the dead and what seems to be a more favourable economic position. And if we're going by something resembling the medieval borders of what constitutes Lothairingia than the mentioned industrial zones of the Cologne-Rhine area would be inside of there. Though I doubt that is the case. I'm curious about the demographics and borders of what constitutes our alternate Netherlands here.
Judging by the 1625 map, the modern Netherlands minus Friesland, Groningen, Drenthe, and Overijssel provinces; modern Belgium minus West Flanders; modern Luxembourg; most of the Rhineland and Saarland from modern Germany; and Alsace-Lorraine.

@RogueTraderEnthusiast The comparison was a bit much I will admit, but you get where I was coming from. A border however on the Danube with three Allies whose only concern would be from the north now is a much stronger position in my books, because that is three more sources of manpower that you don't have to pay for. A light rule from Constantinople is easier to handle than dealing with Munich pretty much beside you. That is still a tough nut to crack, and a war in the East to finish. The peace terms you lined out are generous for sure, but it would take the Triunes well and truly overstepping themselves, and that could push Bohemia closer to the to the German Emperor. At no point has it been said they are not loyal to the empire they are in, they are just now the most prestigious and richest member now behind the Emperor. Whoever is running the German Empire, after this mess, had better have Bohemia in their pocket, or better, be Bohemian, imo.

@RogueTraderEnthusiast The comparison was a bit much I will admit, but you get where I was coming from. A border however on the Danube with three Allies whose only concern would be from the north now is a much stronger position in my books, because that is three more sources of manpower that you don't have to pay for. A light rule from Constantinople is easier to handle than dealing with Munich pretty much beside you. That is still a tough nut to crack, and a war in the East to finish. The peace terms you lined out are generous for sure, but it would take the Triunes well and truly overstepping themselves, and that could push Bohemia closer to the to the German Emperor. At no point has it been said they are not loyal to the empire they are in, they are just now the most prestigious and richest member now behind the Emperor. Whoever is running the German Empire, after this mess, had better have Bohemia in their pocket, or better, be Bohemian, imo.

Those 3 allies are also 3 nations that could well STOP being allies and instead become the allies of an enemy, which concerns me more. This is made worse if you consider the idea that .... would Serbia or Hungary want to let their lands be pillaged? Or get out of the way if there is another invasion? Sure they're allies, but they aren't going to hold the line, and they can switch sides to their own benefit, a long running theme with Roman defensive strategy is unreliable allies (who may have been abused to be fair to them).

I'd also add that now we know the Accord is trying to set terms to Constantinople regarding dealing with Italy, that is a bit rich considering they aren't the ones being invaded. It certainly doesn't make me confident that allies (outside of Vlachia, Georgia, and arguably Serbia) can be trusted. Arles was an old friend, and whilst on one hand isn't willing to help the Romans without 40k troops appearing as if by magic, are now partnering with Spain to say to Constantinople "Don't you dare be right on our doorstep so you can easily send 40k troops our way". It seems that Spain is wagging the Accords Dog, and they've never really been too fond of Rome. I appreciate the Accord have men that are being sent the Romans way, but they're still issuing warnings to their ally, who is under attack, for rumours.

None of which makes the idea of the Accord or border allies seem that reliable vs the Romans themselves. Oddly enough, I'd rather see Pronsk do some harm to Poland and see a border shared with Pronsk, as long as there is a mountain range and fortresses in the way.

----

I think Bohemia is the prime candidate if Bavaria isn't able to keep the reigns - hence why I'd rather see Bavaria stay in place as an ally of the Romans, because they are a known quantity. Bohemia, or perhaps one of the merchants is a big concern. Germany, Rhomania, and potentially a Super-Pronsk as allies on land are a bloc that could well put the fear into the Truines for their continental possessions. That is the alliance I think Constantinople should look towards.

Why wouldn't Rhome send troops up? It makes only good strategic sense to get to Hungry before the invaders do, German or otherwise. It also means that Hungry only has to build defences in one direction, it could even be a part of the treaty with Hungry. Plus if a respectable peace between Germany and Rhome comes about, who is going to invade, Poland? Pronsk would deal with that. I see the arrangement of a Hungry buffer, and a more content Serbia with their new status, and some southern Hungry (maybe D3 might have hit his point of generosity with Serbia), being a diplomatic trump card for the Accord signers. What would this burgeoning modern state, want do with heretic Northern Italians? Splitting Lombardy into three, Duchies of Milan, Verona, and Tuscany while taking up to the papal holdings is a lot less alarming, and would be territory going to Sicily. Lombardy cannot exist as it will always be hovering over the Despotate. As to the trump card I mentioned, it is a sure sign to the Accord signers that Demetrios has no intention of going 'Nikitas' in Europe. Maintaining Hungry as a state with only light obligations to Constantinople, keeps them out of Germany's sphere, recognizing Serbia shows Rhome is okay with more independant neighbors, if not economic satellites. Arles can't argue with a weakened northern Italy, nor can Spain, that now three smaller trading powers in the W.Med. And who are they to dictate about lands that are justifiably within Rhomes claims, by that point. It isn't like they would be aiming for the Rubicon. Although the Accord kind of has to kick some dust up, it needs to be taken seriously early and by someone who doesn't quite "needs" their help, but won't send it away. Spain doesn't have to bad of relations with the White Palace, Portuguese? For sure, and they do make what could be considered the richer part of the dual kingdoms, where as Castile is the more populous. I think the relationship between Spain and Rhome was described as a funny one earlier.

What is the relationship between Pronsk and Scythia? It would determine the amount of trade penetration Rhome would have in Pronsk and vise versa. Would Pronsk want to trade through a smaller and Rhome aligned Hungry through the Slovakia, to the Danube, or down the Dniester to the Black sea?

What if a son of the Premyslid, the oldest if he lets his younger brother take Bohemia, marries Elizabeth, and their children take the Wittelsbach-Premyslid name? When/If Theodor dies, she will be in a precarious position. It will raise noise from the lesser princes, but really, what can they do by now? The Czechs while sending 20k, still have more than enough to help the Wittelsbach holdings straighten any disagreements out internally.

And what to do about Henry... Machiavelli would have loved to have worked for him, and for Demetrios too. We can hate on the Triunes all we want, but they are a well working machine. I can't say they are due for a smackdown, because life doesn't work that way. OTL the USA only now stumbled in the last 50 years of it's meteoric rise of the last 250. The Channel is a heck of a highway to build a kingdom around, and their infrastructure is still building up in equally productive lands, by a capable ruler and governing bodies. I bet the dialect sound almost like Chiac, the closer you get to the Channel in France, and more like Montreal and the Eastern townships in Quebec, along England's southern coast. As a Canadian seeing a medieval version of us from three of the four mother countries, is a little fun to read about. Kings Landing does sound more fun than Ottawa though, not saying Ottawa isn't nice 5 months out of the year.

Typical Latin scum betraying the Empire during their greatest challenge. But in all honesty could the members of the Accord stand up to a great power if they were fully committed? Henry is probably taking notes on how Demetrios created this huge army.

Demetrios has a balancing act. He needs to wreck Germany enough to remind them not to mess with Rhomania but he to leave them intact enough to survive the Triune backstab.
Maybe he makes arrangements with the Accords members to put men into the field once he’s done with the Germans and the new order in the Balkans/Danube is settled? A super-UK threatens them far more than a super-Rhomania.

Why wouldn't Rhome send troops up? It makes only good strategic sense to get to Hungry before the invaders do, German or otherwise. It also means that Hungry only has to build defences in one direction, it could even be a part of the treaty with Hungry. Plus if a respectable peace between Germany and Rhome comes about, who is going to invade, Poland? Pronsk would deal with that.

Constantinople likely would - but the concern would be whether or not Hungary actually sides with Constantinople in such a scenario, or works against it. Again, that is my worry.

However, yes - the plan is effectively two-fold. Germany being won-over isn't a given. Nor is a mutual alliance with Germany, Constantinople and Pronsk. So we're effectively ensuring that we're secure in a "Worst Case" European scenario. If it is all a success, you have a massive, peaceful region of trade between three large countries (I want to use Smithian terms, but I have no idea what Roman Economics is like... (@Basileus444 what is Roman Economic theory like atm?)) which is beyond great. Peaceful, but also braced by geography.

I see the arrangement of a Hungry buffer, and a more content Serbia with their new status, and some southern Hungry (maybe D3 might have hit his point of generosity with Serbia), being a diplomatic trump card for the Accord signers. What would this burgeoning modern state, want do with heretic Northern Italians? Splitting Lombardy into three, Duchies of Milan, Verona, and Tuscany while taking up to the papal holdings is a lot less alarming, and would be territory going to Sicily. Lombardy cannot exist as it will always be hovering over the Despotate. As to the trump card I mentioned, it is a sure sign to the Accord signers that Demetrios has no intention of going 'Nikitas' in Europe. Maintaining Hungry as a state with only light obligations to Constantinople, keeps them out of Germany's sphere, recognizing Serbia shows Rhome is okay with more independant neighbors, if not economic satellites. Arles can't argue with a weakened northern Italy, nor can Spain, that now three smaller trading powers in the W.Med. And who are they to dictate about lands that are justifiably within Rhomes claims, by that point. It isn't like they would be aiming for the Rubicon. Although the Accord kind of has to kick some dust up, it needs to be taken seriously early and by someone who doesn't quite "needs" their help, but won't send it away. Spain doesn't have to bad of relations with the White Palace, Portuguese? For sure, and they do make what could be considered the richer part of the dual kingdoms, where as Castile is the more populous. I think the relationship between Spain and Rhome was described as a funny one earlier.

I agree with all of this - it is why I think the compromise scenario is probably still valid, at least outside of Italy, I think you've probably got the best solution IN Italy, if D3 wants to accept the terms set by the Accord. I'd rather see them as Roman, because the Alps is a great border. But at the very least I'd say that rather than Despotates, that the Romans go for a form of Protectorate - the Romans control their foreign policy, and are responsible for their protection, and even rent out fortress sites, but otherwise the three Italies are self-governed. Substantially looser relationship. Focus on the treaty-enforced rental of fortifications in the eastern Alps, rather than with Arles, and you've probably got a balance that the Accord should tolerate.

What is the relationship between Pronsk and Scythia? It would determine the amount of trade penetration Rhome would have in Pronsk and vise versa. Would Pronsk want to trade through a smaller and Rhome aligned Hungry through the Slovakia, to the Danube, or down the Dniester to the Black sea?

I'd expect Dneister->Black Sea, and then back up the Danube. It is likely quicker, or at least cheaper per tonne-kilometer. At least in terms of preference, that is a good point though - Scythia is a potentially valuable ally, and if brought into this Grand Alliance bloc, we're really starting to look at a great diplomatic situation. It would make me terrified if I was Spain. It also means that African and Mesopotamian campaigns are more practical, unless the Accord plays the "Uh No" card about North Africa too.

What if a son of the Premyslid, the oldest if he lets his younger brother take Bohemia, marries Elizabeth, and their children take the Wittelsbach-Premyslid name? When/If Theodor dies, she will be in a precarious position. It will raise noise from the lesser princes, but really, what can they do by now? The Czechs while sending 20k, still have more than enough to help the Wittelsbach holdings straighten any disagreements out internally.

That... that sounds pretty epic. How old is Elizabeth now? Certainly still young enough for a couple of kids, so that could work. It'd certainly neuter the Spiders plans. A Bavarian-Bohemian led Germany sounds stronger than todays Germany, but if friendly, huzzah!

And what to do about Henry... Machiavelli would have loved to have worked for him, and for Demetrios too. We can hate on the Triunes all we want, but they are a well working machine. I can't say they are due for a smackdown, because life doesn't work that way. OTL the USA only now stumbled in the last 50 years of it's meteoric rise of the last 250. The Channel is a heck of a highway to build a kingdom around, and their infrastructure is still building up in equally productive lands, by a capable ruler and governing bodies. I bet the dialect sound almost like Chiac, the closer you get to the Channel in France, and more like Montreal and the Eastern townships in Quebec, along England's southern coast. As a Canadian seeing a medieval version of us from three of the four mother countries, is a little fun to read about. Kings Landing does sound more fun than Ottawa though, not saying Ottawa isn't nice 5 months out of the year.

I don't know to be honest. Plenty of people in the timeline can see his plans for what they are. Arles is aware, Blucher and Elizabeth, D3, I expect Spain, and other parts of Germany. He's devious, but in terms of manipulation, it seems clumsy - the only great trick being convincing Theodor to invade. Perhaps there is Reader-Perspective-Bias involved, but the Accord is almost certainly going to be an issue for the Triunes, and at least Arles is probably preparing for it. Just got to see what happens with Lotharingia and Germany in Europe, and how things pan out overseas.

They are powerful though, at peace, and directing the stage atm, even if it is clear that they are doing it. Oddly enough, the Channel, whilst a strength, is also the greatest weakness. Lets look at a potential Anti-Triune alliance.

Rhomania, Spain, Arles, Bernese League, Lotharingia, Italy, Germany, (Mexico?).

Even if we just take Rhomania and the Accord, the Mediterranean is basically a lake bar the Marinids. If Henri can get them on side, he's thrown a spanner into the works, but if he doesn't - then the Med is economically secure, and able to put together a fleet grand enough to choke the Channel. If that fleet can organise and make it, Spanish Armada-But-Better style to the Channel, then the Triunes suddenly have had their jugular cut. France has to operate separately, without English or Irish resources.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Triunes, a prime naval power, has underestimated how vulnerable they are to it being applied to them. The only country really to have felt that sort of squeeze that is still around is (to my knowledge) Rhomania - be it the Black Day, or anything before that. If I was leading the navy, that'd be my plan - an unassailable fleet to punch to Lotharingia if they're willing to host it (ideally as allies) that can cut the Triune Jugular, and allow Arletian, Spanish, and Roman land forces to march north into France and upturn Henri in Europe.

Assuming the Triune-HRE war starts right after this one I think it will be hard to get Rhome and the HRE as allies simply from a PR/propaganda standpoint.

Huge chunks of Rhoman Europe is a smoldering crater and the HRE is the (main) reason why. Will be tough to get people to abandon their hatred vs the HRE and embrace them as allies so soon when the devastation is fresh in people's minds. Maybe a few years down the road but not right away.

Doesn't mean Rhome can't wage their own separate war (officially or unofficially) against the Triunes of course but I can't see a formal alliance between Rhome and the HRE until some time has passed to heal the wounds.

Assuming the Triune-HRE war starts right after this one I think it will be hard to get Rhome and the HRE as allies simply from a PR/propaganda standpoint.

Huge chunks of Rhoman Europe is a smoldering crater and the HRE is the (main) reason why. Will be tough to get people to abandon their hatred vs the HRE and embrace them as allies so soon when the devastation is fresh in people's minds. Maybe a few years down the road but not right away.

Doesn't mean Rhome can't wage their own separate war (officially or unofficially) against the Triunes of course but I can't see a formal alliance between Rhome and the HRE until some time has passed to heal the wounds.

That's part of the reason I think the HRE title needs to be dissolved as part of it. That way the HRE was destroyed, and now the Germans are our friends. The enemy HRE was destroyed. The alliance was won, not negotiated. The Romans fought and demanded a defensive peace agreement on their terms. That can be used as a source of pride.

That's part of the reason I think the HRE title needs to be dissolved as part of it. That way the HRE was destroyed, and now the Germans are our friends. The enemy HRE was destroyed. The alliance was won, not negotiated. The Romans fought and demanded a defensive peace agreement on their terms. That can be used as a source of pride.

Assuming Blucher and Co don't roll a Natural 20 and win this war I'm wondering what's going to be left of the HRE once the "volcano" erupts in the form of economic and Triune-backed military disaster post-war.

There may not be a HRE worth a damn anyway. Didn't the OTL Thirty Years War pretty much end the HRE as a single polity anyway for all intents and purposes? I wonder if something similar will happen here: sure, the HRE "exists" but the various members (Bavaria, Bohemia, all the smaller principalities) rule themselves as sovereign states while paying lip service (if that) to the Emperor.

Edited a map template I found online by removing India and China. If you want, I'll get rid of Australia too (what was the name in TTL again?)

We see the formation of more defensive/offensive pacts against the European big 3 now. But are polities like Aragon and the Kingdom of the Isles considered too volatile and prone to invasion like Lotharingia to be admitted? Further north, Lotharingian-Russian-Prussian could prove to be quite a powerful alliance but has any feelers been sent out from the Romans? An alliance stretching from the mouth of the Rhine to the Danube would be magnificent!

Thanks. That’s not necessary. I have a template but a big chunk of it is taken up by south China which was annoying for a map I wanted to focus on Southeast Asia. Generally Australia is known as the Wu-land to outsiders; the Wu themselves called it Nan (south). It’s probably going to end up as Australia since the etymology works for TTL as well.

Aragon and the Kingdom of the Isles are issues mainly because, what do they bring to the table? They’re both pretty weak, and they don’t have the strategic location like the League does, unless the Accord got into a war with Rhomania. In that case, they’d be useful as naval bases.

There haven’t been anything in the way of Lotharingian-Roman feelers. Mainly because neither is geographically in a position to help the other.

@ImperatorAlexander: In one of the narrative scenes with Odysseus and Andreas III, Odysseus described himself as short, so he could be a 2nd Little Megas, in a different sense.

@HanEmpire: Excellent analysis. Don’t have anything to add.

There is going to be an economic/social component to Asanes’ and Zimmermann’s ideas of equality, which is absent from classical liberalism. Their ideas are still under development.

@JohnSmith: There was a cadet branch a little while back that ruled Florence between the Dantean War. Cesare’s father wiped that out during the Brothers’ War, which is why Cesare’s concern about Theodor coming calling is legitimate. But now it comes down to just Theodor and Elizabeth.

@InMediasRes: The ideology forming there is still quite inchoate at this point. It certainly wouldn’t be communism as Marx or Lenin knew it. Perhaps some sort of peasant communism, with the village common lands as the example. But at the same time Friedrich is a military man, so he is used to a hierarchy. But at the same time, he has no respect for a hierarchy based on blue blood (he liked Wolfram because he was smart and willing to learn, but fragged his previous CO because he was an idiot who was going to get them all killed).

I think it is, but am not certain of that. But it’d be keeping with the multiple influences on Asanes if he were the descendant of Bulgarians deported by the Romans to eastern Anatolia.

@RogueTraderEnthusiast: A key detail is that the rumors suggest Rhomania expanding to the Alpine frontier of Italy, aka eat the whole peninsula. Rhomania annexing or vassalizing central Italy would be tolerable, but a Rhomania that controls the entire Italian peninsula is an intolerable threat. It’s doesn’t matter why; it’s still too big. Plus the Accord members have no way of knowing if this Rhomania would be inclined to stop.

The situation is modeled after the OTL Russian-Ottoman wars, where a lot of Russia’s gains were lost because a western European power (usually Britain) would barge in shouting about ‘the balance of power’ and force a milder peace treaty.

The issue with a Roman-Lotharingian alliance is that there’s no way Rhomania can substantially help Lotharingia. Can’t march an army across Europe, and a Roman fleet would have to go through the English Channel or around Scotland (the Spanish Armada recommends not doing this). Lotharingia has military engineers and good fortresses; its defensive issue is that it has no real natural defenses.

Rhomania entered the Accord would trigger a serious response from the Triple Monarchy, as that would be an intolerable threat to Triune security. The border between Arles and France is long and doesn’t have much in the way of natural defenses. The Accord, as is, is strong enough to keep the Triunes honest, but not enough to frighten them. If Rhomania joined, killing the Accord would immediately become King’s Harbor #1 foreign policy issue. We’re talking 16th century France battling against Habsburg encirclement type. Henri would very likely start genuinely propping up the HRE to use as a counterweight against Rhomania-Accord.

I’d describe Roman economic theory as ‘expansive mercantilism’. What I mean by this is this.

Picture the world’s economic resources as a pie. Now in this system the pie can be expanded. Population growth, new resources discovered, new trade routes, production improvements, these are all ways the pie can be made bigger. Rhomania during the Flowering experienced all of these.

However with that pie, if country A takes a slice of the pie, that leaves less for B, so there is a zero-sum game in play here as well.

Free trade within the Empire is good; it grows the pie and increases government revenue since there’s more income to tax. But free trade with those outside of the Empire…hell no. There can be some most-favored-nation tariff reductions on certain products, but that’s a diplomatic tool, a carrot for good behavior. Not an economic tool.

The Empire’s already experienced free trade with foreigners…in the 12th and 13th centuries…with Italian merchants. That humiliation, that abomination, will never, ever, happen again.

There’s also some belief in economic circles that the government should have a hand in the economy, not necessarily for economic but for social reasons. Such as guaranteeing that essentials are kept cheap. So laissez-faire is out. It sounds like a good way for dynatoi to exploit the poor and get more powerful, a prospect that has the White Palace reaching for the eyeball knives.

Elizabeth will turn 29 in 1634.

@Tirion: Roman Vienna could be useful as a sort of tripwire that guards Hungary against the HRE by ensuring Roman support. Although a Hungary occupied by the Romans would most likely want a German invasion.

@catconqueror: The Romance of the Three Kingdoms has been an inspiration for all this (hence the quotes), but I’m not consciously following any of the specific campaigns. That said, there were many quotes I found that perfectly apply here.

The post-patreon updates have been substantially bigger. I think the update was bigger than the average, but not by a huge margin, although I found it ‘meatier’.

@Curtain Jerker: I’m looking forward to when I get to the point where Zimmermann is a major part, rather than just germinating as he is now.

I will be throwing some big rocks at the Triple Monarchy, although like I said I prefer only having one BIG THING going on at one time, and there are lots of BIG THINGS down the pipeline for Rhomania and the HRE. That said, this update did plant a small seed for that rock (and now I’m mixing metaphors).

This is the first mention of the Ravens’ Rebellion; I only settled on the name while I was working on how to work in a reference in the update.

@Khaine: Monkey bite, stepped on by an elephant, fell into a pool that’d been stocked by piranhas somehow, there are lots of possibilities…

@Evilprodigy: It’s possible I mixed up a population figure for the northern provinces (OTL Netherlands) as one for all of the Low Countries.

That’s a good question and I know I’ve been deliberately vague on the exact borders throughout the TL. I’m going to have to do more research and the results merit being included in the regular TL. There are not-Rhomania regional updates down the pipeline so that seems like a good place for it. So I’m going to have to give you a rain check on this. Sorry. (It’s likely that I’ll be retconning the pop figure in that future update.)

@Aristomenes: Zimmermann definitely won’t be becoming a pacifist; my arc really doesn’t mesh with that.

Dalmatia and Istria is a combined Roman vassal state (not a Despotate but a proper vassal), and its ruling Duchess is Demetrios III’s sister (who hasn’t had much of a presence in the TL). Currently parts of the area are occupied by Allied forces, with the coastal cities under a loose landward blockade, but none are in serious danger.

@CV12Hornet: A note on my maps. They’re good for a rough outline, but they’re not exactly precision instruments. I know they’re a useful resource, but I just don’t enjoy making them.

@Duke of Nova Scotia: Yup, the Bohemians are loyal to the concept of the Holy Roman Empire. They want to take it over, or at least be the top dog, not destroy it. The Premyslids were Emperors before the Wittelsbachs took the imperial crown.

Spanish-Roman relations are unusual. In Europe they have every reason to be friends. But in the east, they’re bitter rivals with a longstanding history of antagonism with grievances on both sides.

Pronsk-Scythia relations are good, with a lot of trade there. A lot of Scythia’s economy comes from being a conduit for Roman-Russian trade, to the point that Scythia is a de-facto Roman economic satellite.

If Ottokar’s eldest son, Crown Prince Vaclav (who’s currently commanding Bohemia’s contingent on the Danube), were to marry Elizabeth, he’d want to absorb the Wittelsbach lands into the family holdings. Because then there’d be a Premyslid Emperor who controls Schleswig-Holstein, Brandenburg, Saxony, Bohemia, Austria, and Bavaria as personal holdings. That’s a power to reckon with, and one that also doesn’t need Henri.

@Babyrage: With the advantage of being on the defensive, the Accord could likely hold out against one of the big boys, or at the very least make the fight so expensive that it’d be a pyrrhic victory for the great power in question. Now regarding an offensive campaign, it’d be easier for the great power, but the Accord is strong enough that it’d still make the war hurt, a lot.

A super-UK is a major threat to the Accord members, but that’s something that already exists. The Triple Monarchy already has a population of 22.5 million. Arles and Spain combined are something like 2/3rds of that. Now a super-Rhomania in the Balkans is much less of a threat than the Triunes, because that’s far away. But a super-Rhomania that’s super because it just gobbled up all of the Italian peninsula is capable of being every bit as big of a threat as a super-UK. The Romans could claim it is defensive expansionism, but the Spanish and Arletians would have every reason to be cynical about such claims, if they even cared.

Aragon and the Kingdom of the Isles are issues mainly because, what do they bring to the table? They’re both pretty weak, and they don’t have the strategic location like the League does, unless the Accord got into a war with Rhomania. In that case, they’d be useful as naval bases.

Hmm, then it's only a matter of time before they are subjugated by larger powers.

Talking about the diplomatic situation of various powers, how are the Marinids faring? I imagine they are pretty isolated diplomatically but are also in a prime spot for colonization of Africa and America. They should have experienced a slight upturn with the capture of the Kaaba and the subsequent pilgrim trade.

Hmm, then it's only a matter of time before they are subjugated by larger powers.

Talking about the diplomatic situation of various powers, how are the Marinids faring? I imagine they are pretty isolated diplomatically but are also in a prime spot for colonization of Africa and America. They should have experienced a slight upturn with the capture of the Kaaba and the subsequent pilgrim trade.
Last we heard from them, IIRC, they were conquering the interior of West Africa and doing a pretty good job of it.

Last we heard from them, IIRC, they were conquering the interior of West Africa and doing a pretty good job of it.
This means GOLD GOLD GOLD for the Marinids. The piracy isn't going to stop anytime soon, and may in fact get stronger than it did in real history.

Realistically, what could the members of the accord do to Rhomania if they do annex/vassalise up to the Alps?
The Spanish are already in a perpetual conflict with them out East. The Romans will lay waste to any enemy fleets in the Mediterranean. Invading Italy via the Alps is logistically unfeasible, and there will more than enough men to repel any invasion. Rhomania is Arles’ largest trading partner, they won’t remain in the conflict long without massive subsidies.

Realistically, what could the members of the accord do to Rhomania if they do annex/vassalise up to the Alps?
The Spanish are already in a perpetual conflict with them out East. The Romans will lay waste to any enemy fleets in the Mediterranean. Invading Italy via the Alps is logistically unfeasible, and there will more than enough men to repel any invasion. Rhomania is Arles’ largest trading partner, they won’t remain in the conflict long without massive subsidies.
They can ally with the Triunes and march endless armies into Imperial holdings in Italy, while flooding the Mediterranean with Triune & Spanish & Arletian fleets. If the Empire gets that huge the Accord will make common cause with King's Landing to contain it.