American Middle Class doesn’t build up between 1945 & 1970, expectations aren’t build up . . .

And therefore, American citizens don’t thrash around looking for villains when the inevitable slow down comes. Please stop at 2014 or thereabouts to avoid current politics.

Your ideas are welcome. :)

Last edited:
US is probably better-off now. No mass white collar/more skilled factory labor aristocracy/professional managerial class doing well but OTOH those 3 groups' demands on the economy don't drain the life out of everything else.

The poorer the US & European working class are the greater the chance of going communist. The problem is not that the middle class had too much but that elites have gotten too greedy the last few decades

There's a lot of assumptions here that I'm iffy on.
a) that the post war economic boom could be averted with PoD in 1945
b) that the slowdown was inevitable*
c) that people are wrong to look for causes for why their standard of living drops like a rock

*especially in the auto sector, the decline of the Big 3 was 100% self-inflicted

A low equilibrium trap is going to seriously reduce the rate of GDP growth, strengthen recessions, reduce sector II production making sector I overcapitalisation crises more apparent. With a return in value lower than the rate of growth of value there'll be absolute and relative emiseration in the core working class of the US capital system, not just the periphery With reduced sector II production, the satisfactions of increased (potential) uses from increased (potential) volumes of goods and services representing use-values to the US working class, will mean a gap of resentment between the growth in capital's value returns and the growth in labour's value returns, as seen in history in the resentment between 1970 and 2000. Unlike Generation X in the US, this will be seen more like the failure of Post-War Italy. The structure of US class and culture looks more like the 1920s or 1890s or 1870s boom cycles. However, unlike Italy whose working class structured its resentment through the resentment of the PSI and PCI, and who lived in a bi-regional economic structure, unlike Italy where there were bitter wells to drink from, and nowhere for Capital to flee to; in the United States the well of the CIO is dry and the United States is a multi-regional economy even within the core structure of its capitalism. So, sure, yet again as with the CIO or IWW or UMW a new series of movements will arise and fail.

I don't see why this doesn't mean a PMC though: fordism itself demands it. The Great White Society as a post-war movement was about white fitters and turners, or white line workers. Sure there might be a smaller demand for engineers: but the engineering crisis was only revealed with Sputnik, and the PMC was in development long before Laika's sad song.

With more Sector I production, and less Sector II proportionately, and a slower rate of circulation of capital I'd expect more communist political success, possibly even Communist political success. Probably in Korea, Japan, Italy, France, peripheral European states in the US capital network, and possibly even the BRD. With a faster emiseration of the US working class as the solution to capital accumulation, what do you expect to happen in the semi-periphery and periphery?

Rather than an expectation of being "inside pissing out" the US white working class will have a greater expectation built in misery, more people will ask themselves (even if they don't resolve it via the Minutemen of Industrial Solidarity or whatever the next spontaneous movement captured by a "CIO" is) that most dangerous question for circulation in its moment of production, "Why not all?"

yours,
Sam R.

I for one pity the UK's treasury.

There's a lot of assumptions here that I'm iffy on.
a) that the post war economic boom could be averted with PoD in 1945
b) that the slowdown was inevitable*
c) that people are wrong to look for causes for why their standard of living drops like a rock

*especially in the auto sector, the decline of the Big 3 was 100% self-inflicted
Not dropping like a rock, more like a slow hemorrhage.

A low equilibrium trap is going to seriously reduce the rate of GDP growth,
How about one or two technical details per post… please?

And this was John Maynard Keynes’ worry during the Great Depression of the 1930s — that the economy may settle into an “equilibrium” quite a bit lower than full production and full employment, right?

July 2017 —

“ . . . From nearly a third (32.1%) of the country’s total employment in 1953, manufacturing has fallen to 8.5% today. . . ”

=================•====

Manufacturing, plus Labor Unions, was such a good engine of a LARGE NUMBER of good-paying jobs.

okay, with the goal of dampening down the U.S. middle class…..

Maybe the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947 goes even more hardcore against unions ? ?

I am talking joining the eastern bloc. IIRC Greece came close to doing so anyway. If everybody in the west stays poor then why not try something new?
because we need smart changes at the margin, not jarring changes

Besides, since the end of World War II, we’ve had steady propaganda about how terrible the Soviet system is, some of which is true

In my judgement, the biggest mistake the auto industry and unions made was super generous pension benefits. This mortgaged the future in a way other things didn’t.
That's actually cheap compared to the economic impacts of white collar workers/the PMC Those two groups I mentioend explain why there's so much regulation/credentialism and all the layers of parasitic middlemen. John Mcihael Greer coined the term "lenocracy", that is rule by pimps to describe our current situation with middlemen eating all the producitivty and preventing people from doing economci activity. Anyways, read Mancur Olson's stuff to see more about hos distributional coalitions cause economic gridlock/decline.

A US which didn't have the white supremacist/middle class welfare state of OTL's new deal but instead gained various programs gradually would be a richer, freer country with a lower cost of living. Lower cost of living due to not having as many middlemen jacking up the costs of doing things or blocking competition for established interess. By "freer" I mean in the economic sense for individuals since we'd be getting union reforms/semi-social democratic or hopefully socdem programs in the context of actual demand for reform instead of FDR's "ok how can we use bismarckian welfarism to lock in social conservatism/progressive era morals" new deal.

because we need smart changes at the margin, not jarring changes

Besides, since the end of World War II, we’ve had steady propaganda about how terrible the Soviet system is, some of which is true
The propaganda only worked because life improved for the western working classes. If they had not improved then you would have seen much more communism. That was the reason for the Marshall plan. Basically the western elites bribed the people to not go communist with a bigger piece of the economic pie. That maxed out for the middle class in the USA either early or mid 1970s.