American Chinese Concession Territory in China

I'm planning a new TL with a POD either just before or during the American Civil War. Anywho, by the late 1890s everyone and their brother is taking a leased territory in China as per-OTL. Only ITL there is no John Hay nor Open Door Notes. ITL the Americans are more pragmatic than idealistic and decide if you can't beat the Europeans, join them. Where would the idea American Concession Territory in China be. I'm looking at something like British Hong Kong or the German Kiautschou Bay concession, or the French Guangzhouwan.

A Concessions in Tianjin will follow the ITL Boxer Rebellion. So Tianjin is out. But what are you're thoughts on the subject.

There was an US-American concession in Shanghai since 1848.
It was merged with the British concession in Shanghai in 1862.

I figure that will still happen ITL. I was looking more for a major port that will allow the US to have its own trade port, something taking in 1898. Yes no Spanish-American War that year for the US.

Sanmen bay (the Italians tried to take that in OTL and failed) or Zhoushan in Zhejiang. Dont quote me on this, but I think I read somewhere that the Americans where most interested in the area between Shanghai and Taiwan (and had conflicts of interest with the japanese).

By 1890s, most obvious places are already taken or already in someone's sphere of influence.

In such a scenario, the United States would only want an open port where American ships can trade. Historically, the United States has the most connections with Canton since that is where most Chinese-Americans came from and so the most personal connections that could be exploited. I believe the US would want something in the Pearl River Delta.

Of course, there is already Hong Kong and some of other nearby places are already taken (Shamian Island). However, I think the US could grab one of the other areas on the south bank - perhaps Xiangshan (modern Zhongshan) or Zhuhai. If not that, perhaps somewhere on Hainan. Whatever is given would have to meet British (and possibly French) approval given their interests in the region, but this probably would not be too hard to get. By 1890s, the US was on pretty good terms with both - a diplomatic solution is presentable.

With access to the Yangtze region through the Shanghai International Settlement, this would give the US an area to develop in the other major economic area of China.

I imagine American administration of any concession would be similar to what was eventually given to the Philippines. There would be a US commission sent. A US governor-general would be established, but there would be a civil government and native Chinese would be allowed to hold office and rule themselves within the confines/limits set. The US would probably want to show the world how an "enlightened" nation would administer Chinese people, and with the idea that American ideas could be used as an example for the rest of China to modernize. Even if the US is more imperialistic than idealistic in this timeline, I don't see the US actually wanting a European-style colonial empire. It sounds like this is just a means to facilitate American trade absent the Open Door, but US interests and policies are still geared to wanting China to be sovereign.

The likeliest scenario is probably a coastal port in the Shanghai region (most likely a new division carved out of Shanghai), and a further 'inland' port in the Hankow region, both on the Yangtze. By the 1890s the more obvious places for US mercantile expansion will be inland of China, not on the coastal cities where you had established hongs and European mercantile interests which would be hard for Americans to unseat.

It would be interesting to see how America would react towards returning a democratically-ruled concession to a non-democratic China once the lease is up.I'd presume it would be politically unacceptable back in the US.This will most likely impact the return of Hong Kong and possibly even Macau if most other events remained the same such as the rise of Nazi Germany etc.

It would be interesting to see how America would react towards returning a democratically-ruled concession to a non-democratic China once the lease is up.I'd presume it would be politically unacceptable back in the US.This will most likely impact the return of Hong Kong and possibly even Macau if most other events remained the same such as the rise of Nazi Germany etc.

Not well, and possible refuse to do so. But then again with what I have planned it may not be needed.

How about Quelpart Island(Chejudo)? It might be Korean, but it controls trade between southern and northern China and is around the midpoint between Hong Kong and Tientsin. And it's quite close to Shanghai(around half a day by ship).