American Alternatives to Taking Leyte in 1944?

What Happened in OTL: Following their capture of the Marianas, the Americans opted to modify MacArthur's original plan to return to the Philippines and invade the island of Leyte in the western Philippines instead of invading Mindanao from the south. Though this operation did end up producing some positive results when the Japanese opted to reinforce the island's garrison, resulting in the loss of numerous transport ships full of heavy equipment, in the end the Island's soggy soil proved to be ill-suited to the airfield construction future American plans required. Eventually, the Americans had to land on the much dryer island of Mindoro to build the requisite airfields to support their invasion of Luzon.

What Might Have Happened: How exactly, the poor soil and weather conditions on Leyte escaped American planners remains a mystery to this day AFAIK. However given America's history in the region, one could easily imagine someone successfully raising the issue and derailing the plan in TTL. Assuming that Nimitz' proposed invasion of Formosa runs into the same problems it ran into in OTL, what do the Americans do?

I can't see them invading Mindoro right off the bat in TTL without having at least some base in the Philippines first to provide additional security against perceived Japanese aerial and naval threats. Am I missing something?

Similarly, I don't think they would go straight for a landing on Luzon at Lingayen Gulf for the same reasons.

Mindanao is probably still an option, but they'd still want something closer to Luzon if OTL behaviour is any guide.

This leaves me at a bit of a loss. But I am toying with the ideas of following the original (abandoned) Japanese plan for the invasion of Luzon. Outside of Lingayen gulf, the best beaches for amphibious landings are around Aparri on the northern end of Luzon from what I can tell. There's an airfield there and on nearby islands of Batan and the Babuyan Islands which seem accessible enough to an American force based out of the Marianas from what I can see. Though they would be within range of Japanese air bases in southern Taiwan, that might not be a bad thing if the Americans want to force a decisive battle with the Japanese. It also seems to me like the Japanese were not expecting the Americans to land in that region. Now, it's probably worth noting that the biggest concentration of Japanese troops was on Luzon in OTL. They're going to have all their heavy equipment to fight the Americans with in TTL. However, if Yamashita rushes everything up north to Aparri, they'd leave themselves open to flanking amphibious landings.

EDIT: Apparently this idea was war gamed out in 1943 and MacArthur was in favour of it. The Australians were slated to take part but it was eventually dropped. Apparently Dr. Peter J. Dean, a major Australian military historian thinks it would have sped up the war.

https://researchonline.nd.edu.au/arts_conference/12/

EDIT #2: According to the campaigns of MacArthur in the Pacific the option was considered well into 1944 as a preliminary operation prior to the invasion at Lingayen Gulf. Map is from hyperwar. https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/RptsMacA/I/RptsI-9.html

Last edited:
Gamble and strike direct towards Iwo Jima, thereby forcing the japanese fleet to sail even longer from Singapore were it was based.

Driftless

Donor
Mac would insist on some type of major landing in the Philippines. Bypassing the archipelago, would set off a shit storm of political (and probably some military) resistance. The "optics - to use the modern term" would be terrible

Mac would insist on some type of major landing in the Philippines. Bypassing the archipelago, would set off a shit storm of political (and probably some military) resistance. The "optics - to use the modern term" would be terrible
Even without MacArthur, once it became apparent that the fighting on Formosa would strain Allied logistics to the breaking point, require far more troops than attacking the Philippines, and thus delay the end of the war, the operation would be abandoned IMHO.
The most realistic option is Mindanao, as the original plan was to land on Mindanao first and then Leyte.
Though this is true, by mid-1944 American raids in the vicinity had convinced planners that it wasn't necessary to engage in such a methodical campaign of island hopping, thus leading to Mindanao being bypassed in favour of Leyte. Taking Mindanao would also lead planners to "require" the invasion of Peleliu and other islands to secure their flank. Furthermore, I think planners would still want to invade Mindoro to secure airbases close to Luzon in that case especially given the POD that Leyte's climate and soil rule it out as a stepping stone to invading Luzon. Taking Aparri on the other hand would enable Peleliu and other islands to be bypassed and lay a much stronger foundation for the invasion of the rest of Luzon.

Any other takers?

Another interesting fact to note. Though they would face stronger opposition, once they're established, American aircraft in Aparri would be in range of Okinawa. Would this be enough to convince Nimitz to bypass Iwo Jima?