America: My Third TL

Still the age old question I have, is where best to use USA troops in the other theaters? What theatre needs to be bolstered the most or perhaps a better question is what theater would the greatest push make the greatest difference.

If it is the Ottomans,

Could the USA go shore to shore from West Indies or Florida to land troops in Morroco to aid both the Italians and the Ottomans? Probably too risky. And a 1912 Torch will take way more time to go across the desert to Tunisia than the 1942 Torch.

If helping the Ottomans is the best thing to do with freed up American troops, taking them around the horn and placing them in the Middle East would be best.

Other realistic places is Finland/Kola Peninsula and the Pacific, start to take island by island marching to the Philipines.

Are the British navy in the Atlantic at bay enough that transport ships could go around Great Britain in the North Sea and land in Amsterdam or Hamburg?

I am looking forward to see where you place the Yanks !!!!

Damn Austria-Hungary is in trouble.

Austria-Hungary is basically gone, the enemy advance on three fronts and there are internal revolts...the nation must be on the verge of collapse; the emperor must be quick in sending some ceasefire/surrender proposal in the hope to avoid a too draconian peace (fat change, all parties have lost too much to be lenient and will desire their pound of flesh for their troubles).
If Vienna throw the towel, France will need to ask terms at soon as possible, expecially the italians being in position to close the alpine pass, cutting the French forces in Italy in a big pocket, if she is quick enough the exaustation of her enemies will permit to get away with some manageable loss (a couple of colonies and accepting Luxemburg and Belgium on the German sphere, some reparations and demilitarizated zone on the German and Italian border)...if she go for a prolonged fight, it will end as A-H and be gutted.

Buzzards Circling

By 1912 Mexico was in deep, deep trouble. They were now facing almost the full might of the US military & the reemergence of the Republic of the Rio Grande was acting as fuel to the fire of unrest that was already growing throughout the country. Despite all of this Mexican President Francisco Medina refused to request an armistice. In Chihuahua General Porter finally received an additional two divisions of troops down from Canada. It was now time to renew the advance on Torreon. On February 10 Porter's forces finally moved out of Chihuahua & into northeastern Durango. With a large influx of fresh troops, not to mention the every fading moral of the Mexican soldiers allowed Porter to advances at rates not seen throughout his entire campaign. On March 2 Torreon was within range of American long range artillery. Within a week the Battle of Torreon was in full swing as the desperate Mexican forces finally put up a decent attempt to stop them. The attempt would go as the others had however & on April 11 it would end. Not only did the battle end but virtually the entire Mexican 3rd Army would as well as over 40,000 of the army's 105,000 troops surrendered in mass tired of the war while general Huerta & the remainder would retreat towards Durango.

To the west & east America's army's were rapidly moving forward as well. By February 20 Stuart's & Templeton's army's had blasted through the Mexican lines at Guamúchil & pushed down Sinaloa nearly all the way to the states capital Culiacan. In the Rio Grande Houston & Lee were moving towards the new nations border almost unimpeded & by March all of the Rio Grande Republic would be under “Rio Grandee” control. The Mexican Army was faltering all across the country & the US forces that had been marching across the country for over two years saw a complete breakthrough within their reach. However, one more punch was coming from the US. At 0100 on February 15,1912 the citizens of the port city of Veracruz were woken by an intense American bombardment that would last the remainder of the night. As dawn broke & the bombardment ended the survivors looked to the Gulf to see an awesome & terrifying sight of hundreds of American ships bearing down on them.

I guess that answers my question of where will Yanks will land. I forgot about the Veracruz back door.

What British strength is on Jamaica and Belize?

To help out the Chinese, I can see the Americans landing on the parts of Alaska that can be used as bases for the next landing. Sort of an island hopping campaign of Sitka, to Juneau, to Anchorage, to Dutch Harbor, to Aleut islands, to tip of Kamchatka peninsula, to the Kuril Islands. Of course, this may not be feasible in 1912 and would take a couple of years - 1912 for Alaska, 1913 for the Kamchatka landing and the Kuril landings.

Looks like the end is in sight for the league as Mexico and A-H empire are the first dominoes to fall. Russia, then France would be next to capitulate with Britain and Japan last.

What is the situation in South America? I forget...

America is scary as an enemy :(

The United States is, both OTL and ITL, an industrialized giant with access to vast reservoirs of manpower and resources, even with all the territories Britain and Mexico took from it.

Pissing off a militarized United States that just so happens has a land border with you is... a very, very bad decision. Mexico's basically America's new bitch (if the US doesn't decide to annex Mexico) once the war's over.

I have to ask, how is Germany getting any supplies in? Its surrounded from nearly all sides barring the north. I expected that they would have fallen by now.

I have to ask, how is Germany getting any supplies in? Its surrounded from nearly all sides barring the north. I expected that they would have fallen by now.[/QUOTE]

There has to be a trickle effect of supplies coming from the USA North to Sweden and then to Germany across the Baltic.

The trickle being the supplies that Germany needs the most.

Las últimas horas

Since the outbreak of war the US had learned much about conducting amphibious landings. From crossing the Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence, Hispaniola, & the rest of the landings in the Caribbean Campaign think tanks back in the states had gained an idea of what was needed in these landings. For the invasion of Veracruz a new vessel was used. Gasoline powered, the craft was flat bottomed with a flat 1in. steel plated font that could be quickly raised & lowered while the rest was quarter inch steel, & held 20 fully equipped soldiers & two crew members. The new landing craft, dubbed the Landing Craft Model 1 or LC1, were designed to take the invading troops nearly all the way to the beach, offload them, & then travel back to the awaiting transports to ferry a new group. The US Navy had 50 in service & Veracruz was to be their military debut.

Being such an important port, Veracruz had a garrison of 20,000 Mexican troops. However, aside for a single shelling over a year before nothing had occurred & many of the cities big artillery pieces & modern machine guns had been taken throughout the war to be used on the front. Despite these setbacks, the soldier reacted well to the invasion taking their positions along the beach. Using the machine guns that they still had (along with several Gatling Guns brought out of retirement), mortars, & light artillery the Mexican defenders made life hell for the invading Marines. During the first two hours of the invasion the Mexican troops managed to sink 19 landing vessels including 8 LC1's. The loss of the LC1's showed the Navy that all of the vessel, not just the front, should be armored in later models. For nearly two hours the majority of the Marines were pinned down on the beach by Mexican fire. However by 0845 the Marines were piercing holes through Mexico's front line. By 1000 Mexican forces were finally forced from the beachfront. Over the next week US forces fought the Mexicans in & around Veracruz before they would finally withdraw.

While the Mexicans put up a fierce fight at Veracruz, by March over 150,000 US troops were ashore under General Pershing with a further 75,000 to arrive shortly. With so much of their focus to the north the Mexican Army had fewer than 200,000 troops anywhere near the capital & they were being gathered as quickly as possible at Puebla under the young but fierce General José Doroteo Arango Arámbula. By the time even half of the troops were gathered Pershing's army would be over halfway their.

In southeast Mexico there was a region that had been a thorn in Mexico City's side for decades. The Yucatan Peninsula had seceded once already during the Time of Troubles & unrest & rebellious attitudes had been simmering ever since. Almost since the war with Mexico's beginning US agents had been at work in the Yucatan trying to reach an agreement with the anti-Mexican leaders for them to rise against Mexico & assist the Americans in victory. While progress had been decent the Yucatan people lacked any modern weaponry in which to fight a war. To fix that problem the US Navy had been smuggling arms to the peninsula since early 1911. By 1912 the Yucatan rebels were ready for an open revolt & were just waiting for the right moment. That moment came when the Americans invaded Veracruz. On March 17 the Yucatan declared its independence from Mexico. Thousands of Yucatani rebels quickly descended upon the Mexican garrisons in the region & overrunning them. By April nearly all of the peninsula was under their control & the rebels had spilled over into Tabasco. The rebellion however was the least of the problems in Mexico.

On March 31 the Battle of Puebla began between Pershing's & Arámbula's forces. Mexican forces at Puebla fought harder than in any battle before as to many losing here meant losing the capital. It was not enough however & by late April the front line had been pushed into the city itself & the American advance was slowly gaining speed. With the battle for Mexico now so close to the capital President Medina chose to make a trip to Puebla to show his support to the Mexican troops fighting there. On April 22 at 2230 his motorcade was nearing the city when three machine guns opened up on it in an ambush. Within a few seconds it was all over with nearly everyone, including the president, dead.

From the shadows General Arámbula had been watching the scene unfold as his personal guards & staff had cut down the provident & his aids. Though the president was dead the coup started by Arámbula & a few other like minded generals was just beginning. Soon gunfire would be heard from within the capital & elsewhere along the Mexican lines. The Army had had enough of the ruling political party that had been in power for decades & for better or for worse a change was coming.

American Front end of April 1912

1901.png

1901.png

Victories & defeats on an epic scale

Hue was the imperial capital of the Nguyễn dynasty & home to the imperial city filled with century old structures. By late February however that was all a thing of he past. The Battle of Hue had began on November 9 & after three & a half months of battle virtually all of the city was in ruins. Indochinese forces had fough fiercly to hold on to Hue, but the weight of Chinese numbers were too great & on February 26 the Chinese finally overran their positions. The Indochinese were forced even further south to Da Nang & it quickly it became a battleground as well. Da Nang held for nearly a month, mostly due to the presence of three French cruisers & a pre-vengeance battleship. By April however even the ships big guns couldn't keep the Chinese at bay & the city fell. With Da Nang gone that was the last major defensive line in Indochina for over a hundred miles.

To the northwest in Burma another major battle was soon to see its end. By March, the Battle of Mandalay had entered its 9th month & was at nearly 2 million casualties making it the bloodiest battle yet. Now however the Indians were finally rceiving ssome new weponry from their ritish rulers. On March 7 the British-Indian Army began using gas in mass attacks all along the Chinese lines. The Chinese soldiers were not equipped to handle gas & over a two day period tens of thousands would die or become incapacitated by it. It was then that the Indians attacked in mass with more than 150,000 men going over the top & charging the Chinese trenches. In one day the battle 9 months in the making came to an end & the invading Chinese army was stopped. However, the British-Indian Army was almost as devestatd as that of China. With their army at less than 40% strength they woul have to accept that the Chinese Army withdrew scarcly more than 20 miles.

While the fronts to the south were on the move, those against Russia & Japan still had General Winter holding them down until April. However with spring finally arriving those too would see the resumption of the war.

On Luzon Japans war against Germany was finally turning their way, somewhat. While in the north the fronts remained a stalemate, to the south at Pagbilao a recent offload of new Japanese troops allowed them to make a signifiant breakthrough on February 27. The Japanese offensive drove the German lines back nearly twenty mile & even succeeded in splitting it in two when they reached Laguna de Bay. In Mindanao the British were still trying to make advances of their own, & while they were the Americans continued to use the terrain to their advantage making the advance slow & bloody. While the German & Americans troops in the Phlippines were fighting the League valiently, the overwhelming numbers were steadily wearing them down & they knew that if something wasn't done soon than they were beginning to fear the worste might occur. Little did they know that something soon would.

Asian Theater end of April 1912

1905.png

1905.png

If i'm right on this it was just a lucky guess. As for what's about to happen with Mexico I feel sorry for them. Don't know how they'll be able to fight a war with that going on.

i've got some ideas i'm debating on so i guess we'll see when i get around to that theater again