America: My Third TL

Viva los America

The Battle of the Colorado had ended on December 24 just hours before Christmas & despite his best efforts General de Leon ordered his forces to withdraw to the new defensive line at Rocky Point. Rocky point however, had new problems to face as northeast of de Leon’s position there was the US-Mexican Sonoran front &, following the Battle of the Sierritas, the American 13th Army would be advancing on his flank. Though the 13th Army would once again face determined resistance near the town of Nogales, therefore stopping their advance at least temporarily, General de Leon opted to withdraw once more attaching his 5th Mexican Army to General Diaz’s 4th Army’s western flank. As de Leon withdrew west, General Stuart had the 2nd Army moving slowly through the Sonoran panhandle. Reason was, that as the Mexicans withdrew, destroyed all of the two rail lines moving through the area forcing the 2nd Army’s supplies to be brought in by trucks &, mostly, wagon.

The 2nd Army’s 1st Corp that had been left to defeat the Mexicans remaining in Baja had had little contact with the 40,000 Mexican soldiers reported to be in the area in the four months & over 100 miles since they were assigned to the peninsula. However, on February 21 Major General Frederick Funston received word of a divisions worth of Mexican formation of Mexican cavalry near the old Misión Santo Domingo. Unwilling to reroute his entire force on an unconfirmed report, General Funston decided to sent his corps cavalry, or more like mounted infantry, division under 27 year old Brigadier General Alexander Grayson to investigate. What came three days later would be one of the last cavalry battles in conventional warfare. The Battle of Misión Santo Domingo began on February 24 around 0845 as American cavalrymen, who had been spotted 20 minutes earlier, were met by 15,000 of the Mexican cavalry. While both sides troops were trained to dismount once the fighting started & continue the battle on foot. Within minutes the two forces were within one another’s ranks & the battle after the first magazines worth of rifle & pistol fire quickly turned into bayonets, rifle stocks, & sabre’s & became a bloody mess. By 1000 the Battle of Misión Santo Domingo was over & the exhausted Americans had the field. Thousands lay dead & many more lay wounded littering the landscape.

One of those wounded was a 24 year old Second Lieutenant George S. Patton who received a sabre slash across his face scarring him for life. He had however killed 12 Mexican soldiers & after being wounded carried his units captain, who’s horse had rolled over after being shot & broke his leg, over 200 yards on his soldiers to safety. For his actions Patton would receive a promotion & the Medal of Honor.

For two months General Porter & the 14th Army had slowly made its way to Chihuahua City where General Huerta awaited with the Mexican 3rd Army. Since withdrawing to Chihuahua City several months earlier Huerta had had his men dig trench after trench & build fortification after fortification. When the 14th Army reached the city’s outskirts on January 2 they stood in front of some of the best defensive lines in Mexico. The Battle of Chihuahua soon began as Mexican artillery began firing on the Americans attempting to take out as many as possible before their own trenches could be completed. For days the battle consisted only of artillery firing back & forth & the occasional firefight between American & Mexican patrols in No Mans Land. On January 11 however General Porter deemed it time to attack. At 1945 thousands of American troops swarmed out of their trenches & charged the Mexican lines as hundreds of rifles & machine guns opened up on them. Within an hour the attack had failed & defeated American limped, ran, & crawled back to their own lines. Three more assaults like this would take place in the month of January before Huerta’s first defensive line was taken. February saw eight more occur in the capture of the 2nd & 3rd lines. Throughout the month of March the Mexicans final line held strong repelling attack after attack by the Americans. On April 13 however Huerta’s last defensive line in front of Chihuahua City fell to US troops. Over the next two weeks the Mexicans retreated slowly through the city delivering the Americans as many casualties as possible. When the Battle of Chihuahua concluded on April 24 it had became the longest & bloodiest battle of the Mexican Theater to date.

The Battle of Lampazos de Naranjo ended on January 18 before the Mexicans withdrew to outside Sabinas Hidalgo which would see war come to it two weeks later on February 3. Here Houston’s army was held in their drive to Monterrey until March 31. However, despite winning the battle the 15th Army’s ranks & supplies were used up & the Monterrey Offensive was put on hold.

American Front May 1910

1780.png

1780.png

Surprised at how slow the offensive in Mexico has been, I would expect the US to plow right over Mexico very quickly. I suppose a big part of it is having the best troops and equipment fighting in Canada.

Sounds like if things go alright for the US in Winnipeg, it will be the collapse of the Canadian forces around Seattle and Vancouver from a lack of supplies and equipment. Not sure how much British naval supplies can make it into Seattle. Definitely not enough to supply that entire front.

I am really enjoying this timeline.

Surprised at how slow the offensive in Mexico has been, I would expect the US to plow right over Mexico very quickly. I suppose a big part of it is having the best troops and equipment fighting in Canada.

I am really enjoying this timeline.

well after their civil war Mexico really pulled itself together, with British & French help, & has the 2nd or 3rd biggest industry & economy in the Americas & 3rd or 4th most powerful in the Americas.

and thank you

Great TL. I'm also surprised that Mexico is putting up such a strong defense, but considering that this is 1910, I guess slow progress is to be expected.

I noticed there's that nice big salient up north, looks weird. If nothing else, maybe the USA can get up to the other lakes up there, on top of...whatever else :cool:.

I noticed there's that nice big salient up north, looks weird. If nothing else, maybe the USA can get up to the other lakes up there, on top of...whatever else :cool:.

Are you talking about the large advance going towards Winnipeg? Winnipeg is a major strategic goal as taking it would split Canada in half. Its major rail center for connecting the two coasts of Canada.

Right now, the US has four major goals it needs to meet to really shut down Canada as a war fighting power. First, seize the major industrial centers on the great lakes, especially Toronto and begin a major push towards the capital of Ottawa and the major city of Montreal (which is already under threat from the south with the US just across the river).

Secondly, shutting down Winnipeg will cut the country in half, which would really effect the ability for the western part of the country to hold out. I imagine the west is already hurting for manpower due to fighting near Winnipeg. Severing the rail lines is in my opinion goal number one right now. I would half expect the US to try and slip some proto-special forces unit in to severe small sections of the rail line to try and delay the movement of troops even if each section is repaired within a week of being cut. That is an awfully long rail line to protect and that whole region is sparsely populated, especially in 1910.

Thirdly, pushing all the way up to Vancouver on the western front would greatly hurt Great Britain's ability to project sea power in that whole section of the Pacific. Plus it frees up a huge number of troops to move to other fronts. Victoria is likely unreachable by the US, but would be put under siege pretty quickly via heavy artillery hitting the towns defenses along with any remaining British naval units and some sort of mining operation being launched to shut down the port if it comes to that.

Finally, Halifax. On the one hand it is going to likely be impossible for the us to break through in that region save for marine landing across the Bay of Fundy with naval superiority which probably isn't going to happen. I imagine Halifax isn't falling. I actually think attacking Newfoundland is more likely.

Um, yes I was referring to that, albeit in a trite manner. I concur with the strategy shown/speculated, I simply wasn't being entirely serious in how I showed it. I especially agree with securing the East if at all possible, given that's where the factories and main "center of gravity" lies. Of course, splitting Canada up the middle will help with that, as one cannot easily move reinforcements at this point without railroads.

As far as the west goes, even if Victoria stays out from under American guns for a good while, just getting the Strait of San Juan de Fuca and/or the Salish Sea under control (for the most part) would be a boon to the USA, as IIRC there's not exactly a whole lot of other good ports for Canada to access without that area.

A
Thirdly, pushing all the way up to Vancouver on the western front would greatly hurt Great Britain's ability to project sea power in that whole section of the Pacific.

remember Vancouver is called Columbia now because Britain has Vancouver Washington which actually came before Vancouver canada

Um, yes I was referring to that, albeit in a trite manner. I concur with the strategy shown/speculated, I simply wasn't being entirely serious in how I showed it. I especially agree with securing the East if at all possible, given that's where the factories and main "center of gravity" lies. Of course, splitting Canada up the middle will help with that, as one cannot easily move reinforcements at this point without railroads.

As far as the west goes, even if Victoria stays out from under American guns for a good while, just getting the Strait of San Juan de Fuca and/or the Salish Sea under control (for the most part) would be a boon to the USA, as IIRC there's not exactly a whole lot of other good ports for Canada to access without that area.

I sort of used your comment as an excuse to post my own analysis and wasn't sure if you knew much about Winnipeg, mainly because I honestly have to google a lot of these places myself. ^^

Another interesting dynamic is Alaska. Is Russia going to be able to do anything to protect it? The easy way for the US to take (if the US even bothers) would be a Marine landing, but that is also very risky. A slow going over land route would be interesting. The soldiers would be battling nature more than each other.

Another interesting dynamic is Alaska. Is Russia going to be able to do anything to protect it? The easy way for the US to take (if the US even bothers) would be a Marine landing, but that is also very risky. A slow going over land route would be interesting. The soldiers would be battling nature more than each other.

i got a plan dont worry

Next step for USA

I think that the USA is trying to do too many things at once. Cannot have offensives everywhere. They are bleeding themselves out. Can they go on the defensive in Mexico, Washington state, Winnipeg and Nova Scotia? That is do they have good enough terrain for a strong defensive front in these areas. So that troops can be shuffled to the Canadian front. Is the railroad network available to support this.

Then if I was the USA, I would concentrate on knocking out Ontario and Montreal.

I would see if Ontario could be placed in a pincer move from upstate New York and a landing from Port Huron. Do this while placing pressure on Montreal.

So I would put the focus on wiping out in order
1.) Ontario peninsula
2.) Montreal,
3.) Otawa
4.) Winnepeg,
5.) Washington State
6.) Mexico
7.) Halifax

It also looks like a pretty daunting task to take over all of Canada and Mexico, so what do the Americans want for a war aim. What do they want to keep for territorial gains? Get to these spots and then some and go on the defensive with the Army and build up the navy/marine corps to pick off Bermuda, Bahamas, West Indies and Pacific so that the British cannot stage atttacks on the mainland.

Just a couple of thoughts. Very though provoking time line. It is similar to Harry Turtledove and the Great War series with Mexico replacing the CSA.

Next step for USA

I think that the USA is trying to do too many things at once. Cannot have offensives everywhere. They are bleeding themselves out. Can they go on the defensive in Mexico, Washington state, Winnipeg and Nova Scotia? That is do they have good enough terrain for a strong defensive front in these areas. So that troops can be shuffled to the Canadian front. Is the railroad network available to support this.

Then if I was the USA, I would concentrate on knocking out Ontario and Montreal.

I would see if Ontario could be placed in a pincer move from upstate New York and a landing from Port Huron. Do this while placing pressure on Montreal.

So I would put the focus on wiping out in order
1.) Ontario peninsula
2.) Montreal,
3.) Otawa
4.) Winnepeg,
5.) Washington State
6.) Mexico
7.) Halifax

It also looks like a pretty daunting task to take over all of Canada and Mexico, so what do the Americans want for a war aim. What do they want to keep for territorial gains? Get to these spots and then some and go on the defensive with the Army and build up the navy/marine corps to pick off Bermuda, Bahamas, West Indies and Pacific so that the British cannot stage atttacks on the mainland.

Just a couple of thoughts. Very though provoking time line. It is similar to Harry Turtledove and the Great War series with Mexico replacing the CSA.

they've been holding their ground in Quebec, Nova scotia, & Tamaulipas

they invaded at port huron & new york at the start of the war so sending new armies across there now would be pointless as they would be safely behind US lines

you don't have to overrun an entire country to defeat it. thats espessially true for Canada cause the upper 3/4's of it doesn't have hardly any people in it. take out the population centers & the rest will fall

they've been holding their ground in Quebec, Nova scotia, & Tamaulipas

they invaded at port huron & new york at the start of the war so sending new armies across there now would be pointless as they would be safely behind US lines

you don't have to overrun an entire country to defeat it. thats espessially true for Canada cause the upper 3/4's of it doesn't have hardly any people in it. take out the population centers & the rest will fall

The pincer movement that I have in mind is North and East of the peninsula.

A push from Northern New York, up around Kingston Ontario along the eastern shore of Lake Ontario, the thousand island area. Could feint at Montreal or Ottawa or Toronto from the East and then head Northwest. A second amphibious landing would be from Lake Superier, Lake Huron, at the Georgian Bay and head to the south and east. The focal point for the meet up would be north east of Peterborough, ON. It would not be easy as the logistics would have to be constructed as they went, but Yankee ingenuity could solve the problem. If the two sides meet up, all of the Canadian and British forces in southern Ontario are cut off. Ottawa could then come under attack. Then a swing around to the north side of the St. Lawrence to engulf Montreal could be made.

So best case scenerio, the pincer succeeds. Even if it does not succeed, the British/Canadians have to lighten up somewhere in the Ontario front to meet the Americans. Then hit 'em where they soften up, most likely from the west end of the Ontario peninsula.

More than likely the British and Canadians are sending forces down into the peninsula to meet the American meet grinder. This would be an American end around to trap all of these enemy troops. Do this, all of the other Canadian points very may well fall like dominoes. Morale for the USA troops and civilian population is lifted. Win in Canada and then pour troops into Mexico. Have a grand front in Mexico along the northern border and then come in through the back door of the Pacific Coast of Mexico to start new fronts.

Last edited:
Today, around 90% of the Canadian population is within 100 miles of the US border. It likely wasn't much different in this TL with maybe the exception of Columbia and parts of Quebec with upper New England being Canadian.

I would be very surprised if Canada would survive losing Toronto, Winnipeg and Seattle/Columbia. They might hold out for a time after that, but unless Britain somehow pours a huge number of troops into the country, I would think Canada would bow out and surrender. Though maybe Britain can prevent them from doing that.

Attack of the Dragon

As the new year rolled around in the Pacific Theater big plans were in motion in both the British & Japanese camps. The two nations were planning & preparing for a joint attack on the German Philippines which, once under LFE control, would effectively end Triple Alliance presence in east Asia aside from Tsingtao. Then they could focus on destroying the remainder of the American Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor. There was however, one giant player that they had overlooked.

Since the Republicans gained power in the 1890’s China had, with German & American assistance, began rapidly industrializing their country. By 1910 China’s industrial capacity was over 50% the size of Japans & adding to that the German & American companies in the Shandong Province that percentage reached to over 75%. When war erupted around the world China remained neutral. However as a precaution its military reserves began to be called up in June 1909 & in November, after a Chinese cutter was sunk near Formosa, that was changed to full mobilization. Fully mobilized the Chinese Army numbered over 9 million battle ready soldiers. However, while the Chinese had been buying as well as producing their own copies of the US’s Sharps M-95 infantry rifle & the Colt M-98 machine gun for its military for years, the demand of a fully mobilized army saw a shortage arise in modern infantry rifles & machine guns with only enough to arm roughly 7 million. There were however millions of obsolete but still effective Hanyang rifles & Gatling Guns. These shelved weapons were quickly brought back into service though most who were equipped with these were either garrisoned throughout the country or on some stretch of border where a large scale invasion was near enough impossible.

As the war ground on & grew more fierce it began to look increasingly likely that China wouldn’t stay neutral long especially after the Japanese attack on Tsingtao in late October which resulted in over 300 Chinese nationals killed. That still however did not bring China into the war despite German & American pleads for help. On the night of January 5 however, China’s German made pre-vengeance battleship Dingyuan would be struck by a torpedo from a Japanese submarine just off Tsingtao with all but 23 of its crew dying. The sinking of the Dingyuan was the straw that broke the camels back & enraged the Chinese people. Two days after the attack China severed all ties with nations of the LFE & allied to it at 2100. Twenty minutes later the quiet of the night was shattered as thousands of Chinese artillery pieces opened up at Indochina, Korea, Burma, & Manchuria. China had entered the war.

At 0300 on January 8 two Chinese armies crossed the border into French Indochina. One at Lạng Sơn quickly overwhelming the Franco-Indochinese garrison there. The other crossed at Hà Giang also easily. Together the two invading armies started the Tonkin Campaign. Though terrain made progress slow, the Indochina Front didn’t quickly bog down into trench warfare as it had in most areas. Chinese forces moved fairly steady towards French Indochina’s capital Hanoi reaching it in two weeks. Taking Hanoi however was another thing entirely & on February 1 as the Battle of Hanoi began the Chinese now began using trench warfare as tens of thousands of Indochinese troops, & even 7500 French ones, fought hard to keep the city in Franco-Indochinese hands. Despite China’s overwhelming superiority in numbers the French & Indochinese threw everything they had into the defense of the capital. The Battle of Hanoi would go on for over 5 months before the city finally fell on June 13. With Hanoi having been fought over almost block by block when the battle finally finished, virtually everything in the ancient city was in ruins.

Since the establishment of the republic, China had taken large measures to keep foreign influence, outside the Shandong Province where German & American presence & influence was accepted, out of the country. In the decade & a half leading up to China’s entrance into the war foreign influence had been stamped out in China almost everywhere except in the farthest western portions of the country, a limited British presence in the Jiangsu Province, & Russian & Japanese presence in Manchuria. Of these countries & areas only Russia had an agreement with China for their presence in northern Manchuria as they were construction a segment of their Trans-Siberian Railway through it to Vladivostok. Upon their entrance into the war, Chinese forces rushed into Manchuria & Jiangsu regaining total control of these areas with relative ease except for that of Japan’s region where Chinese & Japanese forces fought one another for nearly a month before Japan withdrew to Korea.

The beginning of China’s invasion of Korea started on February 7 as more than 300,000 Chinese soldiers amassed on the Yalu River began attempting to cross at Sinuiju. The Japanese however, had by no means left their border unguarded as the Chinese Army was faced with 250,000 Japanese troops. The Battle of the Yalu River was fought for two months before Chinese numbers finally managed to force the Japanese to withdraw. Up river a similar engagement was occurring as China’s second invasion force repeatedly bashed against Japanese lines at the Battle of Hyesan. Unlike the Battle of the Yalu River the Battle of Hyesan ended as a Chinese failure. However, with Japanese forces further west being pushed back the victors of the Battle of Hyesan’s celebration was short lived as they too had to withdraw in April & help reinforce the frontline.

Just north of Korea, China had mounted an offensive to capture the Russian port city of Vladivostok on February 5. Vladivostok however, was a port of major importance to Russia & to protect it Russia its largest concentration of troops outside Europe to defend it. On February 10 China’s offensive bogged down near the city of Nikolskoye (Ussuriysk) a mere miles from their objective. The resulting Battle of Nikolskoye would be one of the longest fought by China & the longest fought by Russia against China in the war. Throughout the rest of Manchuria the fronts went both ways. In the northwest Russia managed to hold on to a fairly large chunk of Chinese territory & had dug in, & along the Amur River Chinese forces crossed at Blagoveshchensk on March 1, capturing it in eight days, & west of Khabarovsk on March 3. The Battle of Khabarovsk however, was not so easily won, & after two months Russia still had firm control over the city.

On February 19 China’s final offensive action began as an army crossed the border invading northern Burma & its Mountain Corps moved into the disputed territory of Arunachal Pradesh. While the high altitude fighting that took place in Arunachal Pradesh would go the entire war with not much territory being taken either way, in Burma the fight was on. Chinas Kachin Offensive quickly blew over the British & Indian defenses &by the end of the month Kachin’s capital Myitkyina was in Chinese hands. Following Myitkyina’s capture Chinese forces quickly gobbled up much of northern & central Kachin & prepared to continue down the Irrawaddy River to the Indian Ocean. However, by May, Indian troops originally intended for Africa & Europe were being transported to Burma in the thousands & the Burmese Front would soon grind to a halt.

Though western China wasn’t exempt from the war, it was much more of an afterthought to both China & its enemies. While there were close to 750,000 Chinese troops in the region, the majority of these troops were those armed with obsolete weaponry & though the Western Front of China was as much of an afterthought to Russia & Britain too their forces that they did send there were equipped with modern gear & were able to grab territory.

Asian Theater May 1910

1803.png

1803.png

Oh damn... China joining in on the war. I bet Britain and its allies are getting really frustrated and Germany and its allies are jumping for joy.

Last edited:
Oh damn... China joining in on the war. I bet Britain and its allies are getting really frustrated and Germany and its allies are jumping for joy.

yeah. China's entrance really won't affect the war at all for France & only a little for Russia. but as for Japan & Britain well Japan isn't as likely to invade the Philippines & the millions of soldiers Britain coulda had in India to send to Europe & Canada are now fighting at home

yeah. China's entrance really won't affect the war at all for France & only a little for Russia. but as for Japan & Britain well Japan isn't as likely to invade the Philippines & the millions of soldiers Britain coulda had in India to send to Europe & Canada are now fighting at home

When even only just one small nation joining, it can still affect the balance of the war.

Will some of the nations get desperate and now start recruiting women in the military like the Soviet Union in WWII? Hell, they could become good snipers and pilots. It looks like Germany, Romania, Russia, Canada, Mexico, and maybe the United States might need them the most.

Will some of the nations get desperate and now start recruiting women in the military like the Soviet Union in WWII? Hell, they could become good snipers and pilots. It looks like Germany, Romania, Russia, Canada, Mexico, and maybe the United States might need them the most.

ehuhh, maybe irregulars or something