Alterntive History Armoured Fighting Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone able to modify a line drawing of a BTR 60 to utilise a ramp rather than side doors? Also can I get a mock up of a BTR 60 hull with either a Saladin turret or a Chaffee turret?

I am happy with any other suggestions that may be out there as well.

btr-60_decoupe.gif

m24-chaffee-light-tank-t24.png

Saladindrawing.png

Essentially I am trying to develop a BTR 90 / LAV 25 vehicle for my TL.

I am also seeking nominations for a name for my Chaffee / AMX 13 hybrid tank, first prize wins a cameo in my TL.

the rear ramp is pretty impossible since the BTR has a rear engine, you have to change the entire layout, and even with a rotated engine, at best you get a small hatch that is only on one side

name: Manticore
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manticore

You are absolutely right and therefore I think I am going to try two prototypes: a mid-engine version and a complete redesign with just a hint of BTR-60. :p

I cheated and put the ramp on the side. :D
Those are supposed to be steps on the ramp in the bottom pic, they didn't come out too well.

BTR-60PB_w_ramp=.gif

You are absolutely right and therefore I think I am going to try two prototypes: a mid-engine version and a complete redesign with just a hint of BTR-60. :p

the engine place on one side might be possible (which is what i meant with rotated), although it is very bad for centre of gravity

Very true and I probably would have to live in it if I suggested building something that big! :p
hence why i suggested a 1:1 scale model of monty's caravan, might be more practical, and can be used for camping trips.

hmm french & recce, then the name Dragoon sounds logical (Dragon in french)

Also can I get a mock up of a BTR 60 hull with either a Saladin turret or a Chaffee turret?

Here is the BTR-60 with both the standard Saladin turret and the Chaffee turret. The Saladin turret variant doesn't look too bad at all but the Chaffee turret is a little too big for the BTR as it is. Both are probably a little on the top heavy side but...

BTR-60 with turret.jpg

The6 Cubans have done some interesting conversions of the BTR-60
In one instance they have mounted the 100mm gun from the T54/55 family
Other versions include various installations of 23mm and 37mm AA guns

BTR-60 with rear ramp and Saladin turret with 76mm gun.
Borrowed the turret from Claymore's earlier pic. :D

BTR-60 -w-Saladin 76mm=ii.jpg

Last edited:
Essentially the premise of the vehicle is that in '12 minutes to midnight' the Cambodian Army and their Marine Corp has two regiments of BTR 60's. They are used in combat against the NVA and the Khmer Rouge and show promise. After all we have a relatively durable design that is amphibious, reduced maintenance and air portable - sounds like an ideal mix for a military in the SE Asia.

However several drawbacks emerge such as problems with rapid troop disembarkation from the side hatches, I believe the transmission and the gasoline engine. A shortage of spares develop from the USSR after the Cambodians formally align themselves with the West. I thought of a stop gap BTR 60 having improved side hatches (ala BTR 80) and possibly the transmission replaced to align it with the Cadilac Gage V 100 which is in service as well, well either that or the Panhard.

After further service the military recognises the need for an evolved version that is more capable than the long in the tooth BTR 60's in 1972. I think this could be a program that is commenced in conjunction with the needs of other countries such as Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia or even South Vietnam.

The AFV would still need to be air portable, amphibious with an ability to provide direct fire support if required for their soldiers. So I think the Scimitar turret addition looks pretty good IMO.

BTW thanks for all of your ideas thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.