Alternatives to Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok Airport?

I know there are few people who have a concrete knowledge of what I'm about to discuss (even I don't), but let's consider.

When Kai Tak was being replaced in the 1980s and 90s, Chek Lap Kok was but one of a few locations put up for consideration for the new airport to be built. Other places included southern Lamma Island, southern Hong Kong Island or Tolo Harbour. Yet Chek Lap Kok was ultimately chosen, and basically comprised the centrepiece of one of the largest airport development projects in the world. However, these days it's facing issues with overcrowding, expansion plans and environmental impact, the latter in particular with the endangerment of Chinese white dolphin breeding waters. These days there are all sorts of debates raging over the expansion of Chek Lap Kok to have a new terminal and third runway, and generally how to handle air traffic in the city.

Yet a friend and I were discussing yesterday and he said that all things considered, Chek Lap Kok is still the best arrangement out of all the options on the table, given geography, development, flight paths and overall impact on the city. The airport is located a good distance away from the city, which removes the curfew that Kai Tak had on flights, as well as one that would probably be imposed on a location closer to the city. It also allowed for the best expansion potential since it is located further away from major shipping lanes or high-rise developments, and avoids Kai Tak's issues since its runways face open water rather than mountains and dense public housing.

So let's consider - what might induce the Hong Kong government to choose a different option to locate the new airport, and what might it look like? Every one of those areas has its own advantages and disadvantages, but is Chek Lap Kok still necessarily the most palatable? Anything ranging from geography to funding to politics can all be issues that could affect the final product.

I know there are few people who have a concrete knowledge of what I'm about to discuss (even I don't), but let's consider.

So let's consider - what might induce the Hong Kong government to choose a different option to locate the new airport, and what might it look like? Every one of those areas has its own advantages and disadvantages, but is Chek Lap Kok still necessarily the most palatable? Anything ranging from geography to funding to politics can all be issues that could affect the final product.

The following extract from the Genocide is interesting to note:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_International_Airport

"A 1974 planning study by the Civil Aviation and Public Works departments identified the small island of Chek Lap Kok, offLantau Island, as a possible airport replacement site. Away from the congested city centre, flight paths would be routed over the South China Sea rather than populous urban areas, enabling efficient round-the-clock operation of multiple runways. The Chek Lap Kok (CLK) airport master plan and civil engineering studies were completed towards the end of 1982 and 1983 respectively. In February 1983, however, the government shelved the project for financial and economic reasons. In 1988, the Port & Airport Development Strategy (PADS) Study was undertaken by consultants, headed by Mott MacDonald Hong Kong Limited, reporting in December 1989. This study looked at forecasts for both airport and port traffic to the year 2011 and came up with three recommended strategies for overall strategic development in Hong Kong. One of the three assumed maintaining the existing airport at Kai Tak; a second assumed a possible airport in the Western Harbour between Lantau Island and Hong Kong Island; and the third assumed a new airport at Chek Lap Kok. The consultants produced detailed analyses for each scenario, enabling Government to consider these appraisals for each of the three "Recommended Strategies". In October 1989 the Governor of Hong Kong announced to the Legislative Council that a decision had been made on the long-term port and airport development strategy for the territory. The strategy to be adopted was that which included a replacement airport at Chek Lap Kok and incorporating new container terminals 8 and 9 at Stonecutters Island and east of the island of Tsing Yi respectively.[9]"

Shipping is busy around Hong Kong Island, the Tolo Harbour is surrounded by hilly terrains which restricted the possibility of different approach and departure routes, Chek Lap Kok seems to be a reasonable choice.

I think another reason why Chep Lap Kok was chosen was the ability to connect the airport back to Hong Kong proper through ground transportation links easily. That's why they built the rail and road links through Tsing Yi to connect back to Kowloon.