Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t normally do figures with my AH models and, although I dabbled with dioramas many years ago, I gave them up as too time consuming, taking up too much space and a detraction from the fun of designing and building AH kits. In this case, however, the model being a post WW1 armoured car, is different enough to perhaps warrant a couple of figures for context.

I will see what I have in my spares box and adapt as necessary…
Yes, I don't think you really need to bother with figures, but if you'd decide to try it, at least you'll have some directions.

Also, I can send you a few suitable photos of older rural or town architecture from the region, if you'd need a background for a diorama.

Yes, I don't think you really need to bother with figures, but if you'd decide to try it, at least you'll have some directions.

Also, I can send you a few suitable photos of older rural or town architecture from the region, if you'd need a background for a diorama.
I think you may have things the wrong way round. What I said/meant was that I will not be doing a diorama but may do a couple of figures for context…

I think you may have things the wrong way round. What I said/meant was that I will not be doing a diorama but may do a couple of figures for context…
Right. :) If you're certain you won't be doing any dioramas, not even a paper/card background with an image, that's fine by me. :)

The figures are purely optional, so you're under no obligation to finish them or prepare them if they're harder to obtain or you don't feel like working on them. :cool: I'm satisfied with how the model's shaping up nicely, and that's more than enough for me. :cool: I'm starting work on getting that definitive ground forces roundel done. :)

Could anyone here tell me what this thing is?

179388-05f29d59e994f3fa1fb210626ba91de0.jpg

Could anyone here tell me what this thing is?

179388-05f29d59e994f3fa1fb210626ba91de0.jpg
That is the GE entry for the DIVAD competition. All of the prototypes were based on the M48A5 chassis. Raytheon proposed a Gepard turret, Sperry had a variant of their older Vigilante turret with a 35 mm Gatling gun, a version of the 37 mm Gatling gun on the T249, General Dynamics used an Oerlikon KDA with a pair of 35 mm autocannons and Phalanx CIWS fire control, and Ford, who won, had a pair of 40 mm Bofors guns.

Driftless

Donor
^^^If your going with one of the higher-volume output weapons, you also need to have an efficient mechanism for reloading/replacing the ammo supply. Rearming the gun on the A-10 or the Phalanx is a manually intensive process, for example, and not something you'd want to be doing near the front line of a battlefield. Some kind of modular magazine that could be swapped out quickly by a support vehicle would be needed?

^^^If your going with one of the higher-volume output weapons, you also need to have an efficient mechanism for reloading/replacing the ammo supply. Rearming the gun on the A-10 or the Phalanx is a manually intensive process, for example, and not something you'd want to be doing near the front line of a battlefield. Some kind of modular magazine that could be swapped out quickly by a support vehicle would be needed?

What it takes to reload an A-10 is a pretty impressive loading cart and some effort. loading it into a tank turret would be even more "interesting" :)
I'd suspect they would have to develop some sort of 'cassette' insert that fed the gun but could be replaced more easily than the A-10.

Randy

Romfell V2.0 Armoured Car Update: (@Petike)

Back from having her undercoat applied. All the various components and additions blend together into a, hopefully, believable whole - and this time sporting the standard 8mm M.07/12 Schwarzlose machine gun turret. Next, it is back to the paint shop for the topcoat and detailing...

Mid 1.jpg

Mid 2.jpg

Mid 3.jpg

Last edited:
Badass, what can I say. :cool:

You can vary the two turrets by swapping the whole turret along with the particular weapon, right ? I like that approach.

Badass, what can I say. :cool:

You can vary the two turrets by swapping the whole turret along with the particular weapon, right ? I like that approach.
You are most kind.

Yup, I have built two turrets (one with the AT Rifle and one with the Mg) which can be interchanged. 👍

That is the GE entry for the DIVAD competition. All of the prototypes were based on the M48A5 chassis. Raytheon proposed a Gepard turret, Sperry had a variant of their older Vigilante turret with a 35 mm Gatling gun, a version of the 37 mm Gatling gun on the T249, General Dynamics used an Oerlikon KDA with a pair of 35 mm autocannons and Phalanx CIWS fire control, and Ford, who won, had a pair of 40 mm Bofors guns.
Worth noting that the 40mm bofors gun has the best range and kill possibility but lacks the rapid rate of fire of the multibarrel guns. The entire system aparently was working when finally cancelled. pity really because it would be very useful in a certain former USSR province right about now.

Ramontxo

Donor
Worth noting that the 40mm bofors gun has the best range and kill possibility but lacks the rapid rate of fire of the multibarrel guns. The entire system aparently was working when finally cancelled. pity really because it would be very useful in a certain former USSR province right about now.
Yes (quite) lesser rate of fire, but on the other hand it fires proximity fuzed shells

Great model, but very poor crew visibility.
Yup, not great even with the front armoured visors in the lowered position and very limited visibility anywhere else. Of course, if you read Petike's TL detail, the turret roof can be raised on a ratchet system to give the gunner better situational awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.