Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
two 10.5cm LeFH18:
-both Decarriaged
-one shorten.
LeFH short and long barrel.png

here's a idea, put it in a jadgpanther and create a sturmpanther. (using the shorten gun and super-low velocity round)

Last edited:
If you are going for a short-range, low-velocity HE round, then I would up the gun to the 15cm sIG 33. The Jagdpanther hull would take it easily. 🤔
Hm… could a panther take the 10.5cm turreted? A German “105mm Sherman” if you will.

Last edited:
I've been wondering if it would be possible to make a walker type drone with wheels as well? I'm thinking the drone would normally rover around on it's wheels but when confronted with rough (say rocky) terrain it would lock it's wheels so they cease to rotate and go into walker mode.
I imagine it would have very tough all terrain type wheels.
Maybe a centre-steer chassis with a bit more articulation control could do a sort of lizard crawl when needed by advancing diagonally opposite wheels alternately? I'm thinking of something maybe three feet tall that would generally act like a Bren carrier.

here's a idea, put it in a jadgpanther and create a sturmpanther. (using the shorten gun and super-low velocity round)

If you are going for a short-range, low-velocity HE round, then I would up the gun to the 15cm sIG 33. The Jagdpanther hull would take it easily. 🤔

Hm… could a panther take the 10.5cm turreted? A German “105mm Sherman” if you will.

So here are two alternative Panthers. The first carries the same 10.5cm L/28 Howitzer as fitted to the Panzer III derived StuH 42. However, in this case the Panther is large enough to mount the gun in its original turret.

Panther Ausf H (10.5cm).png

Secondly, we have the Sturmpanther based on the Jagdpanther but mounting the same 15cm StuH 43 L/12 howitzer as mounted on the Pz IV derived Brummbar.
I settled on this gun as a more capable (and vehicle friendly) option rather than the 15cm sIG 33. Probably a bit of a waste of such a large hull but nasty nonetheless.

Sturmpanther (15cm).png

Last edited:
So here are two alternative Panthers. The first carries the same 10.5cm L/28 Howitzer as fitted to the Panzer III derived StuH 42. However, in this case the Panther is large enough to mount the gun in its original turret.

View attachment 734256

Secondly, we have the Sturmpanther based on the Jagdpanther but mounting the same 15cm StuH 43 L/12 howitzer as mounted on the Pz IV derived Brummbar.
I settled on this gun as a more capable (and vehicle friendly) option rather than the 15cm sIG 33. Probably a bit of a waste of such a large hull but nasty nonetheless.

View attachment 734257
I remember making a Sturmpanther as well a few years back but can't seem to find it in my files. :frown:

Oh, I like the 15cm Sturmpanzer!

For whatever reason the idea popped into my head for a large-caliber pneumatic gun mounted in a similar way, let's assume an in-universe justification for it like 'it saves muntions' or 'it's quieter and therefore harder to track in urban combat' or suchlike. My brain immediately then invented the name "Tubapanzer" literally "Tuba Panzer" because I imagined a demonstration of the 'silent cannon' a chance piece of debris (like some cardboard or suchlike) had found its way into the air feed, resulting in a comical, bass-register DOOT when fired.

Driftless

Donor
Oh, I like the 15cm Sturmpanzer!

For whatever reason the idea popped into my head for a large-caliber pneumatic gun mounted in a similar way, let's assume an in-universe justification for it like 'it saves muntions' or 'it's quieter and therefore harder to track in urban combat' or suchlike. My brain immediately then invented the name "Tubapanzer" literally "Tuba Panzer" because I imagined a demonstration of the 'silent cannon' a chance piece of debris (like some cardboard or suchlike) had found its way into the air feed, resulting in a comical, bass-register DOOT when fired.
(Love it!)

The Tubapanzer..... The necessary compressor is in a tow-behind and tracked "daughter" trailer - heavily muffled. ( Hey, the French did the tracked trailer with the Lorraine 37L, and Italians and British with flamethrower tanks) The "Tuba" could either be a long barrell, or a short, wide barrelled mortar affair.

*edit* A field name might be something along the lines of "Furzkanone", which might translate to "fart cannon" (my German is non-existant)

Last edited:
Moar surviving Fascist Italy concepts leading to the present day:

P62/59 Tramontana heavy tank
C63/79 Grecale main battle tank
C54/14 Levante main battle tank

A field name might be something along the lines of "Furzkanone", which might translate to "fart cannon"
That's rather similar to my idea for a hand-pumped pneumatic version of the PIAT affectionately named the 'Punt Gun' for the sound it made on firing.
Like the PIAT, a ratcheting lever is used to compress the piston (pump twenty times for range A, twenty five for range B, etc. This is also the origin of it's other name of 'Pump Gun'). The effort required to fully compress a Punt Gun meant it was often deployed by a team of three, one firing, one loading, and the poor bastard Private who had to pump them back to charge. Still easier than the PIAT's spring.

Driftless

Donor
Speaking of police, what are some ATL WW2 armored police vehicles we could design for the Gestapo?
Are you thinking of something for occupied and relatively controlled territories? They'd probably like a paddywagon* of sorts, I'd guess. The cab more armored than the box (who cares about those vermin prisoners....)

*It occured to me that Paddywagon is an archaic US idiom for prisoner transport

View attachment 734256

View attachment 734257

Alternative way of looking at it is that such a balance between hull and gun should allow your vehicle to carry a sufficient ammunition load-out to stay engaged with the enemy for longer period of time than one with a larger gun.....

Status
Not open for further replies.