Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait is everyone suggesting that the 'little tank' that could be fitted with a 75 mm gun?
Apparently the Brazilians stuffed a 90mm gun in their rebuilt Stuarts. I give you the X1A.
x1preservedtanks.jpg

Last edited:
T-7 Azov
T-7 AZOV.png

After the end of the Second World War the Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Poland and several other Eastern European countries declared their independence and a tired and severely war torn USSR recognized said independence and established and extended cordial relations to the new nations.

The Ukraine immediately went about building up it's military so that it would remain independent and strong and went about purchasing as many arms as they could, some came from the West and some came from the East and many weapons of the former Reich were also put into service but as time went by the Ukrainian republic sought to build it's own weaponry and in the early 1960's and one of the first weapon systems they wanted was a medium tank.

Despite the fact that the Soviet Union was the Ukraine's main concern as a likely possible threat to the Ukraine's independence, the Ukraine still looked to the USSR as a supplier of arms and equipment and T-55 MBT was purchased in considerable numbers by the Ukraine in the mid 1950's, in the 1960's some West German Leopards were also purchased in small number as were some British and US tanks.

In the late 60's the Ukrainians decided to build their first MBT with some features of the T-55 and Leo-I, this new tank had the T-55's hull and suspension but a different engine that was designed and developed in the Ukraine, the turret was a modified copy of the Leo-1 and carried the same gun and the A-7 carried US made (later a licensed built copy would be used) 50 cal heavy MG's.

The T-7 would serve the Ukrainian republic from 1970 to 1984 when it was replaced by the T-9 but many T-7's would continued to be used National Guard units and would also serve as a trainer for many years.

A request by ThirdyLovesAH who asked for an Independent Ukraine tank that features influences by both the West and the East.
I speculated a timeline where the Soviet Union fought an even harder WWII one they almost lost and were in much worse shape at the end of said war that made taking over the countries in Eastern Europe once conquered by the Nazis too Herculean of a task to take on at the end of the war (1946?)
Plausible?

The name and designation came from @longtimelurker and I got the cool Ukrainian coat of arms emblem from a link posted by @varyar, would like to make a color pic so the emblem will look better.

I believe Claymore made a tank once using sections from a T-72 and Leopard-I but Think I made enough changes to mine plus a very different background story to make my design more or less original.

Last edited:
So, did they replace the vvss units with hvss units from an M5 High Speed Tractor? Was that a common practice in Brazil rebuilds?
Sorry, you'll have to go down that rabbit hole by yourself... :openedeyewink: Google "Brazilian X1A, X1A1, or X1A2" and all sorts of things come up.

T-7 Azov
View attachment 725114

After the end of the Second World War the Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Poland and several other Eastern European countries declared their independence and a tired and severely war torn USSR recognized said independence and established and extended cordial relations to the new nations.

The Ukraine immediately went about building up it's military so that it would remain independent and strong and went about purchasing as many arms as they could, some came from the West and some came from the East and many weapons of the former Reich were also put into service but as time went by the Ukrainian republic sought to build it's own weaponry and in the early 1960's and one of the first weapon systems they wanted was a medium tank.

Despite the fact that the Soviet Union was the Ukraine's main concern as a likely possible threat to the Ukraine's independence, the Ukraine still looked to the USSR as a supplier of arms and equipment and T-55 MBT was purchased in considerable numbers by the Ukraine in the mid 1950's, in the 1960's some West German Leopards were also purchased in small number as were some British and US tanks.

In the late 60's the Ukrainians decided to build their first MBT with some features of the T-55 and Leo-I, this new tank had the T-55's hull and suspension but a different engine that was designed and developed in the Ukraine, the turret was a modified copy of the Leo-1 and carried the same gun and the A-7 carried US made (later a licensed built copy would be used) 50 cal heavy MG's.

The T-7 would serve the Ukrainian republic from 1970 to 1984 when it was replaced by the T-9 but many T-7's would continued to be used National Guard units and would also serve as a trainer for many years.

A request by ThirdyLovesAH who asked for an Independent Ukraine tank that features influences by both the West and the East.
I speculated a timeline where the Soviet Union fought an even harder WWII one they almost lost and were in much worse shape at the end of said war that made taking over the countries in Eastern Europe once conquered by the Nazis too Herculean of a task to take on at the end of the war (1946?)
Plausible?

The name and designation came from @longtimelurker and I got the cool Ukrainian coat of arms emblem from a link posted by @varyar, would like to make a color pic so the emblem will look better.

I believe Claymore made a tank once using sections from a T-72 and Leopard-I but Think I made enough changes to mine plus a very different background story to make my design more or less original.
Thanks for accommodating my request, my part of me wants to see that T-9 design.;)

T-7 Azov
View attachment 725114

Plausible?

My model was Japanese Type 74 / Leopard 1A4 combo - similar but not the same...

ARVN Late 1.jpg

Wait is everyone suggesting that the 'little tank' that could be fitted with a 75 mm gun?

Not really, the Churchill 75mm turret technically had a 54" turret ring but massively bulged over the limits of the ring front sides and back. No way it would fit on the M8 hull. The later 90mm Brazilian offerings might be of value but that was pushing the art of the possible to the extremes.

marathag

Banned
Not really, the Churchill 75mm turret technically had a 54" turret ring but massively bulged over the limits of the ring front sides and back. No way it would fit on the M8 hull. The later 90mm Brazilian offerings might be of value but that was pushing the art of the possible to the extremes.
M8A1
5049d935966fbb3a09ae0c6cd7d83871.jpg

e7ja1t55xlk61.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.